Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

Reinhardt: There honestly isn't too much to say about Reinhardt other than he's one of the absolute best units in the entire game. Period. His offensive power is fantastically amazing and he only has a few foils, such as Brave Lyn, Hector, and Nowi. His speed is lacking but with his weapon, he'll always double. Unless you switch it out of course, but why would you do that? Reinhardt was the original meta-definer and I think there's only one unit in the whole game who has actually surpassed him. 9.5/10

Olwen: She's a faster, less powerful Reinhardt, really. Unfortunately that makes her not as good. On paper you wouldn't think that's the case, but it kinda is. She has difficulty actually knocking out opponents, and her better older brother is much easier to invest in since he isn't locked to 5-star rarity. She's more expensive to build, and she's worse, which makes no sense and seems like a miscalculation on the developers' part. But even so, she doesn't have trouble knocking out EVERY opponent and if you do happen to summon her, she isn't terrible. 6.5/10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reinhardt: Will be doubled by a lot of units due to his poor speed stat which gets poorer due to Dire Thunder's effect, I call him Za Rainharuto, it's a reason why a lot of people have a green unit ready to face him in the arena, high attack power and surprisingly, a very good mixed bulk for a mage like him, allowing him to take both physical and magical hits to an extend, IS made a monster with this guy once SI rolled in, and with the only magical weapon that guarantees doubling when attacking, with the possibility of a quad attack, well, I just hope you've got a high resistance green mage to counter him, 9/10

• Olwen: And now for the whole opposite, high speed and resistance stat compared to her brother, but unlike Reinhardt, Olwen has difficulty taking down foes even if she quad attacks because of her lower attack stat and her defense and HP are terrible for a physical encounter, honestly her best weapon would be a Blade tome because she needs the attack power, and that's about it, a cheap faster version of her stronger and bulkier brother, she's by all means not a bad unit at all, but you can build her similar to Reinhardt to have a similar effect to an extend, still wondering how is she 5-star instead of 3-4 star, 6/10

I have got to be here for my husbando, so count my vote for Reinhardt. I have been using him for about a year now, so I feel pretty comfortable with whatever score my formulas give him since I designed them all from the start to rate ranged ponies highly. Along with Olivia, those two have been with me the longest since I started to play Arena competitively.

Here is how my criteria are rated:

Spoiler

Mobility:
Armor units are 0/10. Infantry units are 5/10. Cavalry units are 8/10. Flying units are 9/10. Units with unique mobility skills will bump up their score.
Range:
Melee units are 0/10. Distant Counter Weapon melee units are 5/10. Ranged units are 10/10.
Player Phase Raw Performance:
This is based on the W:L:I ratio. Enemies will have a set up of +5, +Spd, Moonbow, and Fury. The unit will be +0, may not use Breakers, and will not have Chills or Ploys activate. Units may have access to buffs (usually, +4 to any two stats for infantry and armors, and 6/6/0/0 or 0/0/6/6 for cavalry and fliers). I would also list the build used to achieve that ratio. I think the following formula is pretty reasonable:
(W%) - (L%*0.25) = Raw Performance
Player Phase Weighted Performance:
Since most units can get a raw performance score of at least 5, setting 5 as 0 for the weighted performance makes more sense in judging how good a unit is.
(Raw Performance - 5) * 2 = Weighted Performance
Player Phase Independence:
This just means how reliant the unit is on buffs. If I take off the buffs and the unit still performs pretty well, they will get a good score. The formula is that same as the raw performance:
(W%) - (L%*0.25) = Independence
Enemy Phase Raw Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Independence:
See Above.
Ease of Use:
This is an average of the mobility and range scores.
Performance:
This consolidates the weighted performance and independence scores into one score, and uses the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase. This also means that the build used in weighted performance may not necessarily be their best build, since there may be an alternative build with a slightly worse performance but have much higher independence.
(Weighted Performance * 0.8) + (Raw Performance * 0.1) + (Independence * 0.1) = Performance
Support:
Most units by default will be 0/10. Units with 30+ Res start from 1/10. Dagger units start from 1/10. Healers start from 2/10. Buffers start from 3/10. Fliers start from 4/10. Dancers/Singers start from 5/10. Other unique support skills may further boost their score.
Other:
If the unit has some unique application or fun build, it will be noted here. For example, since Raven mages have a performance penalty, they will get some extra points here for being relevant and viable in certain team compositions.

Familiarity/Experience:
This just means how familiar I am with this particular unit or type of unit in Arena. If it is a low number, that means you should take the following rating number with a grain of salt since I do not have much experience with this particular unit and/or type of unit.
Rating:
The rating is how good I think a unit is. Here is how I weigh each criterion:
Ease of Use 4/10
Performance: 5/10
Support: 1/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Ease of Use 3/10
Performance: 6/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Ease of Use 2/10
Performance: 7/10

Notes:
1. A unit's build in raw performance will not take into account a unit's support build, Raven build, or any other builds. Likewise, a unit's ease of use, support, and other criteria will not take into account the unit's raw performance build.
2. Since healers' Firesweep build [+Atk, Pain [Dazzling Staff], Attack +3, Wrathful Staff, Attack +3] requires the user to do two rounds of combat to measure how good it is, that overwhelmingly skews the combat results for healers, so I decided to tone down their performance by using Brazen Atk/Spd-Desperation and taking away 10 HP or 25% of max HP, which ever is greater.
3. The build used in raw/weighted performance might not be the build with the best score. If there is an alternative build with a slightly less performance but much higher independence, that build will be used instead.
4. Axe and dagger versions of Wo Dao are not available in the regular summoning pool yet, but I think they will be added in the future, so I am using Giant Spoon and Lethal Carrot.

Experimental Stuff:

Adjusted Performance: Red, blue, and green units will have blue, green, and red match ups discounted . Colorless units will probably have melee match ups discounted.

Revised Ease of Use #1:

Movement

1 Movement = 0
2 Movement = 2
3 Movement = 3
Go on Trenches = +0.5
Unimpeded by Trenches = +0.5
Go on Forests = +0.5
Unimpeded by Forests =+0.5
Go on Obstacles = +0.5
Unimpeded by Obstacles = +0.5
Exclusive Movement Effects = +1

Armor = 2 = 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5
Infantry = 3.5 = 2+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 3.5
Cavalry = 3.5 = 3+0.5 = 3.5
Flier = 5 = 2+0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5

Weapon Range:

Melee = 0
Distant Counter = 2
Ranged = 4

Revised Ease of Use #2:

Melee Armor = 0
Ranged Armor = 3
Melee Infantry = 5
Melee Cavalry = 5
Melee Flier = 7
Ranged Infantry = 7
Ranged Cavalry = 8
Ranged Flier = 9

Disclosures:
I have a strong bias for non-armor Player Phase ranged units. My experience with melee and armor units in Arena is pretty minimal, so my rating for them is mostly based on theory. My Arena core consists of BH!Lyn, Reinhardt, and Olivia. I am usually in Tier 20, but I may drop to Tier 19 if I do not fish for points.

Other:

Spoiler

Template

— — — — — — — ◆Red◆ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ◾Blue◾ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ⬟Green⬟ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ●Colorless● — — — — — — —

Mobility: /10
Range: /10
Player Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Player Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#
[+Boon, -Bane, Weapon, Special, A, B, Sacred Seal, #/#/#/#]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Enemy Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#

Ease of Use: /10
Performance: /10
Support: /10
Other: /10

Familiarity/Experience: /10
Rating: /10

Summary:

_______ got bad/okay/good/stellar combat performance.

She/He can the support the team with Ploys.

She/He can support the team with daggers/Light Breath and Dark Breath.

She/He is a great mobility support unit as a flier.

She/He can also run Firesweep-Hit and Run as a flier unit.

She/He can run a Firesweep-Poison Strike-Poison Strike.

She/He can run Wrathful Staff-Dazzling Staff to emulate Firesweep archers.

She/He can run a Raven set.

— — — — — — — ◆Red◆ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ◾Blue◾ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ⬟Green⬟ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ●Colorless● — — — — — — —

Mobility: /10
Range: /10
Player Phase General Performance (Raw): /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase General Performance (Weighted): /10
Player Phase General Performance (Independence): /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Adjusted Performance (Raw — No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Adjusted Performance (Weighted — No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10
Player Phase Adjusted Performance (Independence — No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase General Performance (Raw): /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase General Performance (Weighted): /10
Enemy Phase General Performance (Independence): /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Adjusted Performance (Raw — No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Adjusted Performance (Weighted— No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10
Enemy Phase Adjusted Performance (Independence — No Red/Blue/Green/Colorless/Melee/Ranged/Physical/Magical): /10 — #:#:#

Ease of Use: /10
Ease of Use 1: 2|3.5|5|4|5.5|7|6|7.5|9 /10
Ease of Use 2: 0|3|5|7|8|9 /10
Performance: /10
Support: /10
Other: /10

Familiarity/Experience: /10
Rating: /10
Rating 1: /10
Rating 2: /10

Summary:

_______ got bad/okay/good/stellar combat performance.

She/He can the support the team with Ploys.

She/He can support the team with daggers/Light Breath and Dark Breath.

She/He is a great mobility support unit as a flier.

She/He can also run Firesweep-Hit and Run as a flier unit.

She/He can run a Firesweep-Poison Strike-Poison Strike.

She/He can run Wrathful Staff-Dazzling Staff to emulate Firesweep archers.

She/He can run a Raven set.

— — — — — — — ◾Reinhardt◾ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 8/10
Range: 10/10
Player Phase Raw Performance: 8.27/10 — 219:19:21
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 6.54/10
Player Phase Independence: 6.26/10 — 171:35:53
[+Atk, -Spd, Dire Thunder, Moonbow, Death Blow, Guard, Quickened Pulse, 6/6/0/0]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: 5.66/10 — 162:62:35
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 1.31/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 4.26/10 — 134:95:30
[+Def, -Spd, Blárowl [Def][1 Ally], Bonfire, Close Counter, Guard, Quick Riposte, 0/0/6/6]

Ease of Use: 9/10
Performance: 7.5/10
Support: 0/10
Other: 5/10

Familiarity/Experience: 10/10
Rating: 7.5/10

Summary:

Reinhardt got good combat performance. He can run a Raven set.

Oh boy, Reinhardt and Olwen.

Reinhardt:
+ High Atk, which is basically the most important stat for him
+ Decent mixed bulk for a slow ranged cavalier
+ Cheap to build an effective set (the most common set generally consists of Moonbow, Reposition/Draw Back, Death Blow, Lancebreaker, and a cavalry buff)
+ Can effectively utilize Blarraven+ or Blarblade+ tomes, especially in a cavalry team
+ Not a 5*-exclusive, meaning IV hunting and getting merges are feasible, especially after he got further demoted into the 3-4* pool
+ Fairly splashable; he doesn't necessarily need to be in a cavalry team to wreak havoc (assuming Dire Thunder set)
- Godawful Spd, though that's not the biggest weakness due to his Dire Thunder allowing him to double upon initiating combat. However, he can get ORKO'd or take heavy damage if he gets caught in the enemy attack range during the enemy phase
- Alternate sets that don't use Dire Thunder are either situational or cost too much for marginal returns in comparison to his Dire Thunder set, which contribute to his image of being one-dimensional as a unit
- As a ranged cavalier, he sits in the 140-145 BST bins (depending on IVs), meaning he can be a poor choice for players interested in staying in tier 20 in Arena
Rating: 9/10

Olwen:
+ Alright Spd and nice Res stats
+ Can be an effective user of the Blarblade tome, especially in a cavalry team
- Has low Atk, Def, and HP, meaning she can struggle to secure kills even against enemies she has WTA over, and physical reds with high Atk can do a number against her
- 5*-exclusive, meaning the player often doesn't have a choice on her IVs. And Olwen is heavily reliant on being +Atk (superboon though she'd still have lower Atk than her older brother) or +Spd and not -Spd
- She generally wants to be in a cavalry team to be at her most effective
- If she's -Spd, she isn't worth using when Ursula and L'Arachel exist for the role of Blarblade cavalier. Ursula cannot reach +10 but has an easier time getting most of her available merges due to her being a GHB unit in rotation. =Spd L'Arachel is just as fast as a -Spd Olwen but she has MUCH easier access to merges and IVs due to being 4-5* available. The existence of the limited edition unit Spring Catria didn't help matters as Catria has the superior offensive stat spread.
- Ranged cavalier BST (140 or 145 BST bins depending on IVs). Extremely weak choice for Arena scoring, especially with her not having an easy access to merges.
Rating: 4/10

I will at least give my vote for Reinhardt.

9/10
The menace itself. Ever since SI was introduced Reinhardt terrorizes Arena runs.
His offense is ludicrous, being the only one who has a tome with a Brave weapon effect and has solid enough Atk with Horse buffs to back it up. Even outside of Horse teams Reinhardt functions pretty well by himself, achieving a lot of kills with Death Blow alone. Actually, thanks to Odd Atk Wave he can now achieve his maximum damage output without a Horse team though he is now tied to turn counts (which can be screw that skill over on certain maps).

Aside from that he is very flexible with the rest of his passives, especially his B slot. Lancebreaker is nice to have to kill off bulky Lance units like Effie or Fjorm but it isn't necessarily required. Same for Swordbreaker. Chill Res is both a nice team option and a damage boost for him, while Wings of Mercy can ruin an Arena run. There are many options here which is also one of his strenghts; his kit gives him some versatility.
Even outside of his standard build he is the only Blue Cavalier with good enough mixed bulk to use a -raven build. While not as potent as his Dire Thunder it's still an option he could take.

Reinhardt: 8.96
Olwen: 6.2

Lachesis, Lionheart's Sister

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
35/39/42
29/32/35
22/25/28
19/22/25
26/30/33

Base Skills:

Absorb+
Physic+
Solid-Earth Balm

( - )
( - )
Spur Res

Klein, Silver Nobleman

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
36/40/43
27/31/34
30/33/36
17/20/23
21/24/28

Base Skills:

Brave Bow+
( - )
Glacies

Death Blow
Quick Riposte
( - )

Edited by The Priest

Lachesis - tied with Lucius for second highest attack of any healer. But she also ties with two other healers for second lowest speed. Genny is a more min maxed version of Lachesis with more attack and res with only less HP as a drawback. Lachesis isn't top of her class in any regard and her lack of speed reduces her survive-ablilty to basically 0% if attacked. 3 out of 10.

Klein - Purely average for his class. Brave Bow, Firesweep, he'd be outclassed when using either. 4 out of 10.

Past ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3.5, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

Lachesis

Spoiler

Ehhhhh...

Lachesis is closest compared to Genny, as she has a decently high Attack stat for a Staff unit, but has more HP and one more point in Defense, and lower Resistance. Same low Speed though.

Lachesis doesn't have the advantage Genny has of just having Wrathful Staff by default, as well as having Absorb+ instead of one of the more offensive staves, which has the lowest Might of all Staff+'s. Lachesis also has the same Attack stat as Lucius, who also has higher Speed and Resistance, as well as the same availability.

Lachesis is somewhat too balanced to be considered unique among staff users. Being able to take melee hits better than 99% of the other staff units doesn't matter much when your speed is as low as the 1% of the staff users who can take melee hits REALLY well, and her Resistance is both too average to take many hits from most magic users, and also too low for her to take two hits from any magic user who has anything higher than 30 speed. Her Attack is good, but other staff users have just as much, and they at least have stronger Staves by default (not saying Absorb+ isn't bad, just saying it's weak as hell). Her HP at least can be used to trigger Infantry Pulse on lower HP units, but not if you go for an HP superbane.

Overall... well she can be used, but maybe build Lucius first.

Rating: 4/10 Lachesis is not a specialized staff wielder, having too low speed to do anything with, too low defensive stats to be a bulky staff, and her Attack, while decent, does not go well with her low Speed. Other healers are more specialized than her.

Klein

Spoiler

Klein was a great pity breaking unit before the summoning pool changes, because of his default kit. Brave Bow+ is a powerful bow on the right units, Death Bow 3 which combos well with Brave Weapons, as well as being available at 4*, and Quick Riposte 3, still a great skill only beaten by Vengeful Fighter on Armors. I guess Glacies is a bit of a below-quality skill, but hey it could be Draconic Aura!

...oh right as a unit. Uhh...

He's kinda average. Low Defense and Resistance means he won't be taking hits well, so the only option is to go for the the offensive approach. His default kit is great for a Brave set to a degree, because even a +Atk nature only brings Klein to 34 Atk. He's average as a Brave Bow user. Quick Riposte isn't that great though, since being a Brave user on enemy phase is kinda pointless. Glacies is also wasted on 24 base Resistance.

His Speed is actually pretty good, but it's also too low to be a reliable Quad hit set. But it does mean Klein can run with other bows that don't lower his speed. Slaying Bow is one, even if it's not a popular bow. Firesweep Bow is possible.

Klein needs a complete kit revamp to get to be good. He competes with other bow users, who either have more Attack and can use the Brave Bow better, are faster with similar Attack, or are Cordelia. His base kit is good for foddering, but he himself could stand for some better stats. Decent HP for Infantry Pulse, could trigger Panic Ploy on glass cannons, but otherwise you could do better.

Rating: 6/10 Klein is below average as an offensive bow user, even ignoring the one who defined offensive bow user. His base kit is good for foddering, but still needs to be revamped before using Klein himself. If all you need is a non-Brave Bow offensive bow, Klein is still good. But if you want another Brave Bow user, look elsewhere.

Lachesis. She has a decent stat spread with above average Atk and Res with mediocre Hp/Spd/Def. Her Atk lets her use more staves than Pain+ which puts her in a better spot than other healers although the lack of a horse means that she won't be doing Gravity+ shenanigans like Elise would. Her low Spd undermines her decent Res as she's certainly going to be doubled if hit. The perks of being a healer puts her in a good spot but she's outclassed by Genny due to being less min-maxed.

Rating: 6/10

Klein. The last one of the decent yet outclassed by Bridelia infantry archers. His stat spread is semi-balanced with a focus on Spd. At the time of his release he was one of the best archers in the game thanks to his wonderful skillset, sadly SI came by and allowed every other archer to use the same Death Blow+Brave Bow set. Due to his lackluster Atk he falls short of the likes of Jeorge and Takumi although that's by a very small margin making the 3 of them practically the same. As I said earlier Bridelia blows those 3 out of the water when it comes to using a Brave Bow, at least Jeorge got himself a niche unlike the other two who are doomed to walk in her shadow. Klein will cover your needs if he's one of your favorites because he is good, just not top tier. He's godly as fodder though.

Rating: 5/10

Lachesis - She needs a sword, not a staff.  Travesty aside, her stats are all over the place, in a bad way.  She has sky-high attack - nice.  Her speed is quite low, and unlike Lissa, she doesn't have the defense or default weapons to pull a ranged bait/mixed tank thing.  Sakura (the final staffbot at 30 res) comes with far more speed, so she's less likely to eat two enemy attacks.  To top it off, she comes with Absorb, which has zero team utility.  Out of all staffbots, her niche is the hardest to place. . .if she even has one.  3/10

Klein - Unlike Lachesis, half his kit makes sense.  31/33 is mediocre for a Brave Bow, IMO (because if it was good, I'd use a +Spd Virion instead).  He has no business running Glacies, nor does he want to eat enemy attacks with 20/24 defenses.  For reference, +Atk Klein is neutral Leon, but Leon can take some physical hits.  At least he has Death Blow!  Was good on release, but with better bow users, he's lost his shine.  4.5/10

Lachesis

• Magically focused stat line, featuring decent Atk and Res, and low Spd and Def.
    • Poor combat matchups on both phases. She cannot be counterattacked on the player phase, and can take a tome attack on defense in a pinch. As with most healers, she is generally better off healing or just attacking to apply status.
  • Capable of providing heal, status staff, some stat Ploy support in addition to the standard C Passive or Seal field/combat buff.

Overall, I give her 2 for combat (poor matchups, cannot be attacked on the player phase), and 3 for support (healing, status staff, ploys, basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 3/10.

Klein

• Offense focused stat line with decent Spd, ok Atk, and low Def and Res.
    • Decent showing against low def foes with a Brave Bow+ set, but cannot take on enemies with decent physical bulk, such as armors and dragons.
    • He can be passable with a 2-range check defensive set, but his defensive stat line is not optimized for tanking.
  • He cannot much team support beyond the basic C passive field/combat buff.

Overall, I give him 6 for combat (decent enough performance, but falters against many meta threats), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 5.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Lachesis: Lachesis doesn't really make sense. They give her decent attack, for a healer anyway, and good resistance, but she still has trouble knocking out opponents and she certainly doesn't wanna take any physical hits! She just doesn't make any sense, it's like she was going to be a sword unit but they switched her to a healer last minute. She's outshined because of this. 3/10

Klein: Klein is a pretty good archer and much better than people give him credit for, in my opinion. He certainly doesn't reach the same heights as Brave Lyn or Bride Cordelia, but he's one of the better infantry archers in the permanent summoning pool. For starters, he comes with a great base kit, meaning he might not need a lot of inheritance depending on what you wanna do with him. Brave Bow, Death Blow, and Quick Riposte is a pretty darn good starting kit! And if you do want to give him some new skills, you at least have good skills to start with while you wait to get the fodder. His defense is kinda low, but honestly most all infantry archer defenses are so it doesn't really put him below most other options. He's also not hard to invest in since he isn't locked into 5-star rarity. 7/10

Lachesis-4/10. She's kind of just a swordie that swapped into staves at the last minute. I did use her a lot early on since I like her and all. Staff utility and support counts for a solid 4/10 since she's outshined.

that includes the bias.

Klein gets an easy 7.8/10. Easy to use for newbies and f2p, comes with an amazing kit at low star ranks, and doesn't need much of anything added outside of a good C slot skill and maybe moonbow/glimmer. 

2 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

^ pretty much this
Klein is the first unit I made from 3* to 5*.

He's easily top five best fodder units

hey now what about Hawkeye.

@Czarpy Now look at your Klein score and tell me why I'm holding this nice looking butcher knife in my hand.
But alas it's too late.

Lachesis: 3.71
Klein: 5.33

Moving on to Blazing Shadows.

Karel, Sword Demon

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
44/47/50
26/30/33
32/35/38
22/25/29
17/20/23

Base Skills:

Nameless Blade+
( - )
Reprisal

Defiant Atk
Desperation
( - )

Ninian, Oracle of Destiny

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
39/42/45
21/24/28
30/33/36
20/23/26
23/27/30

Base Skills:

Light Breath+
Dance
( - )

( - )
Escape Route
Fortify Dragons

Edited by The Priest

1 minute ago, The Priest said:

@Czarpy Now look at your Klein score and tell me why I'm holding this nice looking butcher knife in my hand.
But alas it's too late.

Lachesis: 3.71
Klein: 5.33

Moving on to Blazing Shadows.

Karel, Sword Demon

Reveal hidden contents

Ninian, Oracle of Destiny

Reveal hidden contents

Sehai kun has come to make me a hero?

eh i couldn't make him a plain 8/10 since he is lacking, but he's too good for 7.5 so yeah.

haven't pulled karel or ninian so I'm abstaining. Ninian seems really good tho.

Ninian: a fantastic unit just by virtue of being a dancer, and being the only dragon dancer means she fits in perfectly on manakete teams (coming with fortify dragons doesn't hurt). As a dragon she can run a variety of different breaths depending on what is needed and hitting the lower defensive stat on ranged units it useful. That being said her combat utility is...lacking. 24 atk is sad even for a dancer and 33 speed is nothing to write home about. She can handle some reds with a triangle adept build, but she's pretty stuck being a support unit (not that that's a bad thing). Her higher hp mean she can be a bit more durable than other dancers, but she really has to watch out for Julias and Deirdres. Rating: 8/10

• Karel: Typical Myrmidon/Swordmaster, with the exception of an unusually high HP pool, which can be utilized for things like Panic 
    Ploy and Infantry Pulse. Although, it would take a considerable amount of SI to make him work efficiently. Plus, other myrmidons have definitely given him a run for his blade: Ayra, Mia, and now Karla. 5/10
  • Ninian: One of the best utility characters around, being able to provide support as a refresher and def/spd (provided you field her in a team full of dragons). Other than that, the lackluster attack really hits the point home of her needing to steer clear of the damage-dealer role altogether. 7/10

Karel: Who would’ve thought that his own little sister would be the better of the two? While alright on release, he’s aged quite poorly. His attack is below average, his speed is merely passable, and neither defenses are reliable. His only outstanding feature is his HP... thrilling. Not too long ago he and his niece Fir received a personal weapon in the Nameless Blade, which helps him stand out just a bit better with cooldown reduction and a wo dao effect. While he uses it well, it doesn’t quite make him a top tier unit in a plethora of sword units. 6/10

Ninian: Ugh, I hate dancers, but they’re admittedly so damn good. While her stats range from okay to poor, her main selling point is her ability to dance. It’s incredibly useful and can allow your offensive units to continue sweeping during the player phase. She also has great support in Hone Dragons, so she’s a great ally for fellow dragons. That being said, her main flaw is that she’s somewhat of a one trick pony due her attack being miserable at 24 (though it can become a mediocre 28 with a superboon). She struggles to help offensively in a pinch, and while some might say “Ohhhhhh dancers don’t need attack” she can be rather inflexible unit. That aside, she’s still a good unit for utility alone, and she’ll be a great asset to anyone. 8/10

Karel

Spoiler

There really isn't anything special to say about Karel. His attack and speed are a little more balanced out than some other swords are, but that also means he isn't as strong or fast as other swords. His defensive ability is shoddy on the Resistance end, but his below-average defense actually helps to let his pretty high HP not go down quite as fast. Of course, higher HP means good Infantry Pulse and Panic Ploy use.

Before, Karel only had the Wo Dao+ to his name, which wasn't a bad thing per say, but his base kit could have used some improvements. Oh, Desperation is great, especially now, but Defiant Attack takes a little too long to trigger on his HP stat, and Reprisal, while good with his high HP, doesn't do him any good until he starts taking damage, ergo he has a much weaker special trigger in the first round of combat, which in some cases may be the only combat he ever sees.

Now though, the Nameless Blade is a significant upgrade once you get the refine, becoming Sword Hauteclere. Giving him a fairly standard speedy sword build will net good results.

Now for Karel's problems... namely, he shares the Nameless Blade with Fir. She's only barely faster than Karel, and usually runs a +Atk nature anyways, as well as much weaker with less HP and barely less Defense as well, but her higher Resistance means she can trigger Ploys on the enemy, lowering their Defense and/or Speed if you so wish, while Karel being able to trigger Panic Ploy only affects certain enemies. She is also more widely available, so you are more likely to get the ideal nature on her than Karel.

Beyond her though, Karel isn't unique. His stats are about what you would expect for an Infantry Sword, save for the higher HP, and all he has to set himself apart is the Nameless Blade.

At the end of the day, Karel is still a good unit. He comes with the skills necessary to make him a deadly force, but without anything that makes him unique among Infantry Swords, deciding to use him will have to be based on something else.

Rating: 6/10 Karel has the statline, weapon, and B skill to make him a potent force, but he's not unique among sword units. He also faces direct competition from Fir, who can trigger Ploys on the enemy where Karel can't. Still has a Wo Dao though, so he's good for that.

Ninian

Spoiler

Offensively, Ninian is strange. Her Attack is horrid, almost reaching Odin levels of bad, but it can become better thanks to a Superboon. Her Speed is nothing unexpected of a Dancer, and neither is her defensive ability, which means she can't take hits all that well.

Being a Dragon unit does not bring any notable advantages besides access to the Dragon Emblem skills and Breaths having a strong effect in targeting the lowest defensive value of ranged foes. Having access to Lightning Breath is something, but she needs an Attack superboon to even deal any notable damage. I personally feel sticking to her default Light Breath+ and forging it would be better, as that's a +5 to all of her stats, making her much better after one round of combat. Giving her Triangle Adept 3 is just as viable an option as it is on all dancers, as that means she'll be able to take out reds more effectively.

Her base kit is interesting, as having Escape Route by default means she will be able to reach any of her allies once she is weakened enough, which given her defensive ability is easier done than said. Fortify Dragons, on the other hand, will make any affected Dragons all the bulkier. Given the already stellar defensive ability of most popular dragons, this translates to making them untouchable.

And let's not forget what is going to make Ninian a highly rated unit: Dance. If she has nothing to do, or is gonna be resting in a spot to lure someone in and someone happens to be near there, she can Dance them back into action. Get them to pick off another foe, or get into better positioning, the only reason not to use this skill is because you are challenging yourself.

Being a Dancer doesn't give Ninian a free pass, unfortunately. Bad defenses means she has to hope she isn't outsped by the foe, otherwise she is done. Greens are the big one, and there are a LOT of scary greens now more than ever. Being a Dragon also means she is weak to Falchions, Breath of Fog, refined Binding Blade, and Naga, the last one being most frightening. And her offensive ability, if she does not have color advantage, is pitifully bad. Just because her Speed is pretty good doesn't mean she'll be doing much damage.

Still, she is a Dancer. You have no reason to ever send her home if you summon her.

Rating: 8/10 Being a Dancer aside, Ninian being a Dragon is a double edged sword: On one hand she can receive and give powerful buffs to her dragon compatriots, making her a great ally for dragon teams, but on the other she is murdered by Dragon-Effective weapons. Being a Dancer also means her statline is weaker by default, and even regular hits will hurt a lot. But she is still able to take clear advantage of being a Dragon and a Dancer.

Karel. His stats have an emphasis on Hp and Spd while also having average Atk, below average Def and terrible Res. On his vanilla form he's pretty mediocre and outclassed by the likes of Athena when it comes to being a semi strong and fast unit with enough bulk to fight a few rounds. Thankfully the weapon refinery gave him a new leash in life with a new Prf, Nameless Blade which gives him access to a Slaying Edge+Wo Dao effects in one weapon. This makes him pretty strong when using low CD specials like Moonbow and thanks to his huge Hp he makes for a good user of Panic Ploy to disrupt buffed enemies. That's about it though, his damage is good but his Spd, while above average, isn't on par with the top tier swords. He is very similar to Fir but with a focus on physical bulk and with a bit more Atk. He's a pretty good unit but the spot for red sword is a very competitive one and Karel doesn't offer much outside of high damage.

Rating: 6.5/10

Ninian. Being a dancer already makes her a great unit, but being a Dragon Emblem support makes her an outstanding one. Statwise she's nothing to write home about thanks to being mediocre across the board, this means that she shouldn't be fighting stuff without TA but her utility is huge. Being one of the two sources of Fortify Dragons (with the other one being a GHB that has another coveted skill to fodder off) makes her pretty valuable for these types of teams. Her color coupled with TA allows her to survive at least 1 hit from Falchion users not named Alm so she has some merits as a lure. That's about it when it comes to Ninian, she offers the best kind of utility in the game but as a combat unit she's pretty subpar.

Rating: 7.5/10

Karel - I already mentioned previously that I prefer this guy over Fir and I still do. 30 base attack isn't impressive but it's better than 25. 35 speed is also good enough to avoid doubles and dish out some of his own with investment. The 47 HP lets him run Infantry pulse or panic ploy support. Being a sword infantry means mean competition but this guy's sword is up to the task. 6.5 out of 10

Ninian - Dancers generally don't need their attack stat, but when you're a manakete, prioritizing offense is always viable. Plus an attack superboon brings her up another BST tier for arena scoring. Ninian's surviveability is underwhelming for a dragon but quite good among dancers. The speed stat is crucial for survival. 33 base speed is the minimum for all dancers sans Shigure. 7 out of 10. Bad Dragon, good dancer.

Past Ratings 

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 5.5
  102. Ninian - 7

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3.5, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

Edited by Glennstavos

Karel - Look at that hair.  And those pecs.  And. . .uh, FINE, I'll stop drooling over his art.  His base Atk is pretty bad, and he has a ton of HP for whatever reason.  35 Speed is nice, but he has the third-lowest Atk out of all of them (he beats Selena and Eir).  Nameless Blade is a damn good weapon, and makes Sol a somewhat viable special.  Desperation, at least, makes some sense, though he'll want Fury/Life and Death in the A slot.  He can thank the Nameless Blade for this rating, because it would be a lot lower otherwise.  4.5/10

Ninian - She's a melee units that hits resistance (or the lower of the two defensive stats on ranged units), and she dances.  Unlike most other dragons, she can get away with subpar offensive stats.  She's by far and away my most used dancer, because I naturally run two ranged units (Leon and Spring Camilla), and I'm always in need of magic attackers.  Did I mention that Light Breath+ is great for initiating?  She's bulky enough that she'll survive most red units and a good chunk of blue, too.  9/10

Edited by eclipse