Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Yet neither of you managed to answer my question.  Nor do either of these have anything to do with ratings.  If you're going to quote me, at least address what I asked.

Your question pulls a lot of things out of the blue, and I'm not sure what the intent of the question is supposed to be. Hence, I chose not to answer the question directly.

In particular, what relevance does being one-hit killed have that prompts you to ask about it? What relevance does Brazen Atk/Spd have? What relevance does your specific number of 47 Spd have and from where was it derived (knowing that Spd thresholds are different depending on nature and merge level)?

I addressed an issue that I believed to have existed in the construction of the question itself, which was the relevance of Brazen Atk/Spd. I don't see how it is a relevant factor to consider when both Distant Counter and her default Swift Sparrow are both superior options.

Because the other pieces of your question appear to rely on Brazen Atk/Spd as part of a build you appear to be referencing without actually stating outright, I felt no need to address those pieces when the relevance of Brazen Atk/Spd, and therefore the build you appear to be referencing, has not been shown to be relevant in the first place.

As for how this affect ratings, I post in this thread now and then when I believe posters are using faulty information or faulty logic to inform their ratings (and I still have time to chime in), such as previously when multiple people mentioned Mathilda being a better Jagen when it is, in fact, the reverse. A judgment is only as valid as the information and logic supporting it, and if those are faulty, then the rating, too, is faulty, regardless of if the resulting number ends up the same.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayra

Well, she wasn't called the queen of sword infantry for nothing. 33/37 is one of the better sword statlines but not powercrept by any means. What really puts her up there is Regnal Astra, the only speed based special in the game, with just 2 cooldown. Combining it with a slaying edge reduces this to 1, and with wrath, allows her to break past bulky enemies that give other swords trouble. She has decent bulk on top of that as well, allowing her to run DC builds with great success. The only thing keeping her away from a 10 is that her personal weapon isn't that good, and the lack of a vantage or wrath seal. 9/10

Mia

40 base speed is pretty ridiculous as is, and she has a 19 mt Wo Dao to go with it. She has good combat performance but lacking a unique special like Ayra and a broken statspread like Karla puts her just one tier below them. 8/10

Ayra:

BST: 41/33/37/31/21

High tier offenses with the caveat that Atk focus tends to be better than Spd focus, and there are now units that push over the 70 Atk + Spd threshold---Soleil is 38/35, which is both 73 and focused in the better stat. Defensive spread is very well min-maxed, however, with a preference for hp and def over res. (A huge preference for hp over def and res would be ideal, but her defensive spread is already one of the best, so *shrug*.)

Prf weapon isn't anything special these days, a lot of Refinable generics are comparable, so she doesn't gain any brownie points from that. Regnal Astra on the other hand is quite good, being a 10% boost over the 'standard' Moonbow 30% at 2cd. Glimmer might also be a contender if she had more attack, but her offensive spread is Spd focused.

Which is, honestly, my main problem with Ayra outside her foot-locked melee-locked mobility. (Mind, her mobility is still her biggest demerit for me, but her Spd focus is the second biggest problem after that.)

'But Regnal works great with Spd,' you might say. Atk works better. Even in the best case where you Regnal on every hit, Spd only adds .4 damage per stat point compared to Atk's 1 damage per stat point.

Atk and MT are kind of amazing damage stats.

Mixed phase sets like Wrath DC suffer from the fact that you stop being mixed-phase after you take a single hit---there's a reason I prefer CC Vantage rather than just CC or even CC QR\Vengeful Fighter. Still excellent if you only need one thing dead, of course, but I prefer my units to remain functional even after taking a single hit. (Mind, she still keeps her player phase. Her foot-locked, melee-ranged player phase. She keeps that.)

The closest comparison would probably be Nephenee who starts with Wrath (and thus runs cheaper mixed-phase sets), and, regardless of how good---or otherwise---Regnal Astra happens to be, the fact that it's in the special slot means you don't get to go the lazy ass---but very reliable---Noontime Slaying Weapon Wrath combo for easy sustained mix-phase capabilities if you want to take advantage of Ayra's Prfs.

Altogether a reasonably solid

7/10

for much the same reason as Nephenee.

Mia:

BST: 38/32/40/28/25

Speaking of people who push the 70 Atk + Spd envelope... too bad Mia is even more Spd focused than Ayra. Defensively a little less min-maxed than Ayra, but a -Def Ayra and a -Res Mia are reasonably comparable (although Ayra advantaged), so I don't mind it too much.

Resolute Blade is kind of annoying, these days, seeing how you're sacrificing 5 hp and 2 Atk or 3 Spd for 5 Atk. A trade I'd make, mind, but Mia's bulk is slightly sketchy to the point I might even trade 2 MT for 5 Hp.

Fortunately a Wo Dao+ refine would cost 3 MT for 5 hp, I guess, so her Prf is still better than a generic refine.

Flashing Blade is a horrendous skill for all kinds of reasons, but the biggest one is the simple fact that 5 Atk (which you can easily get from L&D and the like) tends to beat faster special charge rather easily. 3 Atk is a worthwhile sacrifice, and that's what it'd cost on the S-slot, but costing an A-slot hurts like hell in terms of offenses.

It's a bit more reliable with Galeforce than Heavy Blade, since you're no longer trying to Atk match, but the fact that Flashing Blade is infantry and armored only should make you go 'what the hell!?'

All in all, probably slightly worse than Ayra on the whole, but not enough so to drop her below

7/10

9 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Mixed phase sets like Wrath DC suffer from the fact that you stop being mixed-phase after you take a single hit

With the exception of Brave Axe and instant-Special Berserk Armads builds, Ayra takes under 20 damage from pretty much any axe user in the game, which lets her survive 2-3 rounds of enemy-phase combat without the need for Vantage if the opponent happens to be stacked with axes for whatever reason.

Most sword users are shy of dealing 30 damage to her (hovering around 25 damage), meaning she can fairly reliably take out one sword and one axe on enemy phase before being required to switch to being purely player phase.

That's the real value of having the physical bulk that she has. Units with similar offenses, but less bulk, do run the risk of losing their enemy phase after one round of combat, but Ayra has enough to manage two moderately reliably (once magic opponents start thinning out).

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

With the exception of Brave Axe and instant-Special Berserk Armads builds, Ayra takes under 20 damage from pretty much any axe user in the game, which lets her survive 2-3 rounds of enemy-phase combat without the need for Vantage if the opponent happens to be stacked with axes for whatever reason.

Most sword users are shy of dealing 30 damage to her (hovering around 25 damage), meaning she can fairly reliably take out one sword and one axe on enemy phase before being required to switch to being purely player phase.

That's the real value of having the physical bulk that she has. Units with similar offenses, but less bulk, do run the risk of losing their enemy phase after one round of combat, but Ayra has enough to manage two moderately reliably (once magic opponents start thinning out).

The problem with mediocre units on the enemy team is that everyone deals with mediocre units. Because they're bad.

Like, if you don't have at least Brave Axe level offenses, who even dies to you? Just sweep the 3 morons around him and tank one EP hit. (This is what I mean about making a team non-functional, by the way. A lot of the time a team has dead-weight units who don't really do anything once their allies are gone.)

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Like, if you don't have at least Brave Axe level offenses, who even dies to you?

A lot of things, actually.

Bold Fighter Lissa (Slaying Axe for mixed phase) and Bold Fighter Grima (Expiration for mixed phase) are among the units that die to Ayra on Ayra's enemy phase not because they're lacking Brave Axe-level offenses, but because Ayra one-hit kills them back with a Wrath-boosted Regnal Astra.

No +10 green tome is capable of killing +10 Ayra [+Spd, -Res] without a minimum of +6/6/4/4 (with Sanaki's and Camilla's Atk stat) because none of them kill her in a single hit and all of them die to the first counterattack.

The fact that Ayra is capable of counter-killing every player-phase green unit in the game short of Brave Axe Bold Fighter armors and Berserk Armads Hector (also Wary Fighter Hector) without needing to run defensive buffs is kind of absurd for a unit with her offensive stat spread.

And you can't tell me those are not some of the best offensive units in the game, even in the AI's incompetent hands.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Bold Fighter Lissa (Slaying Axe for mixed phase) and Bold Fighter Grima (Expiration for mixed phase) are among the units that die to Ayra on Ayra's enemy phase not because they're lacking Brave Axe-level offenses, but because Ayra one-hit kills them back with a Wrath-boosted Regnal Astra.

No +10 green tome is capable of killing +10 Ayra [+Spd, -Res] without a minimum of +6/6/4/4 (with Sanaki's and Camilla's Atk stat) because none of them kill her in a single hit and all of them die to the first counterattack.

The fact that Ayra is capable of counter-killing every player-phase green unit in the game short of Brave Axe Bold Fighter armors and Berserk Armads Hector (also Wary Fighter Hector) without needing to run defensive buffs is kind of absurd for a unit with her offensive stat spread.

And you can't tell me those are not some of the best offensive units in the game, even in the AI's incompetent hands.

The tomes, sure, the armors, not so much. The tomes also neuter Ayra's mixed-phase, which was the original point you brought up, the fact that Ayra keeps enough hp to function.

Dying to an enemy unit has 2 requirements:

1, The unit has enough stats to kill you.

2, The unit can actually reach you.

Armors are very good at 1 but very bad at 2. Even armored boots is broken by a single savage blow user on your team. Add that to the fact that two-ranged offenses exist and it's usually pretty trivial to position around units with stats but no mobility, particularly when that 2 ranged offense is backed by flier or horse mobility---horses are better at reaching safe-spots, but fliers have more safe-spots they could be in.

Edited by DehNutCase

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'd like to way in and say that Ayra dies easy to a combo of Phantom Spd wind sweep Smoke Dagger Saizo and Gunnthra. Well easy is an overstatement. it takes 2 units. But yeah its possible. But AI controlled Ayra is rather dumb so it doesnt really count

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Add to the fact that two-ranged offenses exist and it's usually pretty trivial to position around units with stats but no mobility,

1. Armor March is kind of a thing, and it becomes more and more common as you ascend through the tiers as 2-2 teams and 3- or 4-armor teams become the norm.
  2. Rally skills also become more common as you ascend through the tiers and are great at keeping armors together to keep Armor March up.
  3. Armor March gives armors mobility better than infantry (especially considering the number and positioning of forests on some maps) and almost as good as fliers, which is hardly "no mobility".
  4. It is almost physically impossible to get a ranged armor off of a fortification tile on the oasis map without Knock Back, Drag Back, or Lunge. There are 4 squares you can bait from on the entire map to achieve that (the corners).
  5. It is almost physically impossible to get a melee armor off of a fortification tile on the oasis map without baiting it to attack on its player phase (for the same reason as 4 above).
  6. Fuck the oasis map.
  7. I'm not sure how often you have actually personally fought against some of the teams in the 740+ range, but armors are no pushovers there, speaking as someone who fights those teams a dozen or so times a week.

We argue this every time, but you seem absolutely convinced that armors are just incapable of moving on their own for whatever reason.

2 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I'd like to way in and say that Ayra dies easy to a combo of Phantom Spd wind sweep Smoke Dagger Saizo and Gunnthra. Well easy is an overstatement. it takes 2 units. But yeah its possible. But AI controlled Ayra is rather dumb so it doesnt really count

Smoke Dagger + Gunnthra is functionally equivalent to Gronnblade with +6/6/6/6, which, you know, is kind of higher than the +6/6/4/4 that I said was the minimum for Gronnblade to actually start working.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

We argue this every time, but you seem absolutely convinced that armors are just incapable of moving on their own for whatever reason.

Smoke Dagger + Gunnthra is functionally equivalent to Gronnblade with +6/6/6/6, which, you know, is kind of higher than the +6/6/4/4 that I said was the minimum for Gronnblade to actually start working.

Well; I understand his point; it's very obnoxious to play with Armor Units without Armor March.

Edited by Troykv

5 minutes ago, Troykv said:

Well; I understand his point; it's very obnoxious to play with Armor Units without Armor March.

You don't get to pick whether your opponents have Armor March on their armors, and units should not assume that their opponents will not have these (rather common) tools with them.

With the way we go from banner to banner, it doesn't communicate the amount of time that passed between them. Or the arguments of "what constitutes powercreep". Did the debate end before or after Ayra...?

Ayra - IS' test in how long it would take for players to discover the Feedback button. But what we should have really been protesting is not New Hero distribution but Regnal Astra. Her personal weapon is no slouch either, but the advent of the weapon refinery has given her more build versatility than just player phase. Ayra started at the top and I doubt she'll be knocked down even as new, excellent units such as Mia, Zelgius, and Karla appear. 9 out of 10

Mia - 19MT Wo Dao with a top of the line 40 base speed that was only recently matched. There's nothing particularly wrong with Mia, she's just a Wo Dao user with great stats. If they ever add another swordie with 35/40 offenses (hello Karla), then they'll match Mia with a +Atk refinement WoDao set, but also have the build versatility of choosing any other weapon. Probably have their own better personal weapon as well. And I think that's what keeps Mia from the top tier. 8 out of 10.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6
  123. Gray - 5
  124. Saber - 3
  125. Mathilda - 3
  126. Delthea - 6.5
  127. Sonya - 4.5
  128. Leon - 6
  129. Seth - 2
  130. Tana - 7
  131. Amelia -8
  132. Innes - 6
  133. Brave Roy - 6.5
  134. Brave Lucina - Abstain
  135. Brave Ike - 8
  136. Brave Lyn - 8.5
  137. Elincia - 7.5
  138. Osxar - 6
  139. Nephenee - 7
  140. Sigurd - 7.5
  141. Tailtiu - 4.5
  142. Deirdre - 6
  143. Ayra - 9
  144. Mia - 8

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. Leo I'd bump up to a 3. Hector is a 7.5 because he's been powercreeped again

Edited by Glennstavos

Ayra

• Offense focused stat line, with high Spd, decent Atk, ok Def, and low Res.
    • Ayra's Blade (Spd +3, built-in Flashing Blade 3) is a solid personal weapon, augmenting her Spd and helping her charge her special.
    • Regnal Astra (2-charge, deals damage = 40% of Spd) is a very powerful special with high damage output on a low cooldown.
    • Very strong green and red matchups on offense with a Slaying Edge+/Wrath setup when at or below 75% HP. She can use Distant Counter instead of an offense-boosting A Passive to sacrifice some PP KO potential but give her a solid mixed phase presence. Sustainable by virtue of the fact that she lands OHKOs on her targets with an auto-charging special.
    • Very strong green, decent red matchups on defense with a Slaying Edge+/DC/Wrath setup.
  • She can provide basic field/combat buff support to her teammates.

Overall, I give her 9.5 for combat (very strong and red matchups on offense, sustainability bonus), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 9/10.

Mia

• Offense focused stat line, featuring very high Spd, decent Atk, ok Def, and mediocre Res.
    • Resolute Blade (Atk +3, +10 damage when special triggers) is a strong offense weapon, bearing similarities to a 19 Mt Wo Dao.
    • Very strong green, decent red matchups on offense with a Desperation/Heavy Blade seal set focused on loosing one-round Resolute Blade boosted Moonbows. Sustainability through Desperation.
    • She is a capable user of Distant Counter, with strong green and decent red matchups for one round. She can't really set up much with it, though.
  • She can provide basic field/combat buff support to her teammates.

Overall, I give her 8.5 for combat (very strong green, decent red offense matchups, sustainability bonus), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 8/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Ayra - Hopefully, no one will make an entrance like she did.  Her base offensive stats are similar to Lucina (+1 Spd for -1 Atk. . .assuming she's holding a different sword, but why would anyone do that?), but she spent her extra stat points in bulk.  This means she can sort-of take a physical hit, then dish it right back with Desperation active.  Her kit is geared towards initiation with the Swift Sparrow/Desperation combo ensuing doubles on anything less than 40 Speed.  Some back-of-the-napkin math shows that Regnal Astra, triggered on her turn, will deal 17 damage.  IMO this is the best two CD special that Ayra can run.  Walled by bulkier units (as usual), but she's still pretty strong.  8/10

Mia - She's ever-so-slightly weaker than Ayra, at base.  But if we compare weapon effects, Ayra winds up with the same speed as Mia, while Mia is stronger by 2.  Her defenses are more balanced than Ayra's, but neither of her stats is high enough for her to pull a convincing mixed-tank build.  Comparing her base kit to Ayra, she trades +2 Atk and +4 Spd on initiation for +10 damage when her special triggers.  Assuming both ladies double, Mia will most likely out-damage Ayra in the long run, but the odds of their opponent surviving are pretty low.  While Ayra is made for initiation, Mia wants to hit twice and GTFO.  Since their kits and stats are so similar (right down to their weaknesses), they get the same rating.  8/10

These are more or less my thoughts, but I'd rate Ayra a 9/10 and Mia an 8.5/10

Ayra is pretty insane lol.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:
  1. Armor March is kind of a thing, and it becomes more and more common as you ascend through the tiers as 2-2 teams and 3- or 4-armor teams become the norm.
  2. Rally skills also become more common as you ascend through the tiers and are great at keeping armors together to keep Armor March up.
  3. Armor March gives armors mobility better than infantry (especially considering the number and positioning of forests on some maps) and almost as good as fliers, which is hardly "no mobility".
  4. It is almost physically impossible to get a ranged armor off of a fortification tile on the oasis map without Knock Back, Drag Back, or Lunge. There are 4 squares you can bait from on the entire map to achieve that (the corners).
  5. It is almost physically impossible to get a melee armor off of a fortification tile on the oasis map without baiting it to attack on its player phase (for the same reason as 4 above).
  6. Fuck the oasis map.
  7. I'm not sure how often you have actually personally fought against some of the teams in the 740+ range, but armors are no pushovers there, speaking as someone who fights those teams a dozen or so times a week.

1, Armor march is one of those skills where if you remove the holder---or even the person they're given to---the team breaks down. So, rather than having to kill all 4 or even 3 units, sometimes you only have to kill 2 people or even just 1 to render the team non-functional. This is also heavily positioning based---if 3 armors are in a clump and 1 armor is by himself, just remove the marcher in the clump and the team's effectively finished.

Teams with armors are the teams I pay the least attention to while playing against because the only threat they offer is the slight possibility where one of them will ORKO every single one of my units on both defense and offense. You have all the turns in the world to fight them, so you have to have basically nothing that can beat a particular unit to lose.

2, ...Don't rallies split up units? Rallies always go first, so there ends up being one guy in front for some reason. They're nice for adding unpredictability on a defense team, particularly with a dancer, but swap is better if you want to keep people next to each other.

3, That's for players. AI armors aren't smart enough to glue themselves to each other. Further, they gain in traveling forests but lose in the positioning requirement of having to be next to each other. Infantry can be in diagonals without losing their already below average mobility.

Regarding the oasis stuff, I honestly don't play arena enough to have much of an opinion on specific maps. Today is the oasis rotation so I guess I can fish for an armor emblem + that map.

Edit: Oh, I just realized something... My +6 Reinhardt faces +0 armors...

I need to bring some useless score fodder to face +6 merged armors.

Double Edit: Actually, I'll just lower the level on DB to 1 and same for L&D on Cordelia and Lyn.

Triple Edit: I expected it going in, but god damn finding exactly one map takes forever.

Edited by DehNutCase

Oh boy. These 2.

Arya - Solid fast bruiser type. Statline works well, but what really sets her apart is her SPD based special. Not strictly because it is based on spd, but also because it has a 2 turn cool down. Before Karla she was probably the best infantry sword.  Still though, her 8 extra defense in comparison does allow her a bit more flexibility. I think I have to join the 9/10 camp on this one.

Mia - Won't stop pity breaking me 0/10. In all seriousness

Athena + Powercreep = Mia. Math don't lie.

Mia gets 2 more hp. 1 more attack. 2 more speed. 1 more defense. 1 more resistance. All from the BST increase. And she even gets an Atk Refined Wo Dao with an extra 3 attack on top of that. Nope. No power creep her. Nothing to see. Anyways. She obviously can't be rated worse than Athena. I didn't rate Athena so I don't have that as a baseline, but I think those going with 8/10 are probably pretty close. Now if I could only get one that didn't take a bane to her offenses.

5 hours ago, Usana said:

Oh boy. These 2.

Arya - Solid fast bruiser type. Statline works well, but what really sets her apart is her SPD based special. Not strictly because it is based on spd, but also because it has a 2 turn cool down. Before Karla she was probably the best infantry sword.  Still though, her 8 extra defense in comparison does allow her a bit more flexibility. I think I have to join the 9/10 camp on this one.

Mia - Won't stop pity breaking me 0/10. In all seriousness

Athena + Powercreep = Mia. Math don't lie.

Mia gets 2 more hp. 1 more attack. 2 more speed. 1 more defense. 1 more resistance. All from the BST increase. And she even gets an Atk Refined Wo Dao with an extra 3 attack on top of that. Nope. No power creep her. Nothing to see. Anyways. She obviously can't be rated worse than Athena. I didn't rate Athena so I don't have that as a baseline, but I think those going with 8/10 are probably pretty close. Now if I could only get one that didn't take a bane to her offenses.

I think these reflect my thoughts pretty well. So Ayra gets a 9/10 while Mia gets a 8.5/10

Ayra: 8.68
Mia: 7.90

Lute, Prodigy

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
30/33/36
33/36/39
29/32/35
12/16/19
31/34/37

Base Skills:

Weirding Tome
Rally Atk/Res
( - )

HP/Res+
( - )
Res Ploy

Dorcas, Serene Warrior

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
42/45/48
32/35/38
20/23/26
32/35/38
21/24/28

Base Skills:

Stout Tomahawk
( - )
Draconic Aura

Fierce Stance
Quick Riposte
( - )

Lute. Finally we take a break from the standard Glass cannon Blade tome mages. Lute stats focus on Atk/Res while having a relatively average Spd and terrible Hp/Def. She can try to emulate Lilina with a Blade tome but she doesn't need to be forced into this thanks to her Prf weapon, Weirding Tome, which has grants Lute +3 Spd and has Spd Ploy built-in. With her high Res this lets Lute debuff a very large number of units. With her default kit and the Atk Ploy SS she'll be able to cripple a good number of units in order to dispatch them herself or let an ally take care of them. Her high Res and Atk also make her a very good anti mage unit but she will need to rely on her special to dispatch them as mages tend to have a fairly high Res stat and Lute may find herself unable to Ploy them. Her pathetic physical bulk means that she has no business taking on bulky DC users nor dragons as they'll probably OHKO her in the counterattack. The other issue Lute faces is that her Spd, while workable, won't let her fight Spd demons like Ayra/Mia/Karla even when debuffed so she lacks in power when compared to the standard Blade tome Glass Cannon. Lute may not be as effective but she can be more fun to play with if one gives her a chance.

Rating: 7/10

Dorcas. His stat spread focuses on Atk/Def and dumps Spd. Statwise Dorcas is very close to B!Ike but he trades the tankiness of Urvan in exchange for having in-built DC and he also trades some Atk/Spd for a bit more Res which benefits him due to his weapon. He is very straightfoward, his role is to tank enemies and counter with very powerful hits. He can use his default kit fairly well and he's also one of the great users of Steady/Warding Breath to abuse specials during EP. His non-existant Spd helps him even more as getting doubled will let him charge high CD specials like Ignis/Dragon Fang/Aether which will translate into devasting amounts of damage. Now, Dorcas main weaknesses come from his above average bulk. He is bulky but not to the point of being able to tank indefinitely, even with Aether he'll have some trouble fighting consecutive rounds without a Def tile. His Res is also on the low side of the spectrum which will make it hard for him to take punishment from mages/dragons for more than 1-2 rounds, also keep in mind that he absolutely needs Quick Riposte to work so he's not very good in the PP. All in all Dorcas is a good unit and while he tends to be under the radar he'll easily perform at great levels when played to his strengths, just keep in mind he isn't all that sturdy so don't try to tank everything or you'll find yourself in a very dangerous spot.

Rating: 7.5/10

Lute

Blue ploy mage before Saias was a thing. 34 Res allows her to pull of ploys easily. Her base Atk of 36 is above average for a blue mage but 32 speed is rather mediocre, and she will need the +3 speed from her tome and a successful Spd ploy to consistently double her enemies. While a little troublesome to use compared to naturally fast mages, ploys do help the entire team and not just herself. 7 for her niche and combat +0.5 for ploy utility for a total of 7.5/10

Dorcas

I brought this guy up a few times already in previous ratings due to being the only axe unit in the entire game with built in DC, and as such, the only axe able to run steady breath+DC. That alone gives him a solid niche. His good def makes him a potent physical wall that hits back hard. The downside is his poor Res making him weak to dragons and liable to be one shot by blade mages before he can counter. Poor speed and not being an armor means he won't be doing much on player phase either. 8/10 

Lute:

BST: 33/36/32/16/34

Closest comparison is Delthea who has 2 more speed in exchange for 3 def and 3 res. Which isn't a bad trade, considering free BST is free BST, but 3 def and 3 res is functionally equivalent to 3 hp on a high speed offensive unit, meaning it's Delthea with the superior offenses.

Prf tome has a Spd Ploy effect and 3 speed, and she starts with Res ploy, which makes it obvious she wants to run a ploy build.

Ploys are weaker in terms of absolute numbers compared to team buffs---+12 from Type Buffs or +6 from tactics is usually better than a ploy's -5. Add to the fact that while their positioning requirement is slightly less---cardinal with infinite range vs. 1 or 2 range---they have a stat check tacked on, and it's inconsistent and annoying to use.

High mobility teams won't have an issue paying Ploy's positioning requirements, but infantry range is only average in terms of mobility.

That is, Ploy effects are 'nice' in terms of granting more options, but their existence doesn't affect the strength of the C-slot much. Similarly, Lute's Prf doesn't affect the strength of her weapon slot at all.

With this in mind, I would probably reduce Lance Lucina's score from a 7.5 to a flat 7 the next time I rate her---while Lance Lucina's combat remains better than Lute's due to better offenses and more min-maxed bulk, 2 range is a worthwhile trade.

So, once again, a steady

7/10

for a tome user.

Dorcas:

BST: 45/35/23/35/24

Featuring 2 hp and 4 res in exchange for 5 speed compared to Brave Ike, Dorcas definitely got the better spread... for Brave Ike's Prf.

With the A-slot being slowly weakened compared to the effects you can get from the weapon slot---even a generic Silver Sword is 5 hp and then another stat, which is easily comparable to a DC weapon + a generic stat A-slot---a DC Prf isn't anything special.

The main advantage of Infantry and Armored DC Prf users is Breath Access, getting 2 special charge for every action, whether it's hitting or being hit. Slaying Weapons and DC perform a similar effect, of course, trading the 4 Def or Res from Breath for 5 hp---assuming Atk refine---but there could be niche cases where Breath effect is superior.

For most cases, however, a DC Prf is simply a worse distant counter, seeing how it's stuck on the unit itself. You can hardly fodder off Dorcas to Nephenee for a Wrath DC Noontime build, after all.

That said, considering the fact that all infantry units can, theoretically, run Wrath DC sets, I would probably bump Gray and Saber to 5.5 or a 6 now, with the caveat that making them actually reach those scores would cost you enough resources to build two 10/10 units. Which isn't really a factor when rating a unit, fortunately for them.

For a similar reason, Dorcas reaches a better than deadweight

6/10

For his access to Wrath, DC Prf, and Breath skills.

Although, personally, if I had to spend 3 5* only skills on one unit, I'd make a unit who topped out higher.

Edit: With this in mind, Nephenee would most likely drop to a 6.5 or 6, and Brave Ike would sit uncomfortably between 6 and 6.5. His Prf is damn good, but it's difficult to stack with other effects. Same for Ayra and Mia.

Edited by DehNutCase

I left Mia and Ayra in the spoiler below. They don't count, but I had this almost all typed up before falling asleep and failing to post it, I am not wasting all that.

Spoiler

Ayra

Spoiler

The original Infantry Sword powercreeper. Her statline has become the average, with either average to good attack, great speed, somewhere in the average Defense, and who needs Resistance anyways? Hp is average.

Ayra's Blade coming with both Speed +3 and Flashing Blade is somewhat of note, but it's not interesting on Ayra. Swift Sparrow as a starting skill is notable, as is having Desperation, but they aren't notable either.  Rather, what makes Ayra the defining point of Infantry Swords is Regal Astra, the offensive special that adds 40% of the wielders Speed to her damage. Given her average Speed with Ayra's Blade is 40,  she essentially has the power of a 3 cooldown special with only 2 cooldown without even using a Slaying weapon.

Speaking of which, giving her a Speed Refined Slaying Weapon spells bullshit. Distant Counter and Wrath spell even more bullshit. Regal Astra is what makes Ayra a defining Infantry Sword, and dropping it for something else would be kinda dumb.

The bads. Oh yes the bads. Ayra, despite everything, is still weak to magic. The previous meta definer, Reinhardt, shows Ayra her place under his watch, but most Blue Mages or Manaketes can still do heavy damage to Ayra before she can attack or trigger Regal Astra. Speaking of which, if she can't charge Regal Astra, her damage only becomes average. Guard is a pain in that regard. She's also weak to Swordbreaker moreso than other Swords, since most of her damage comes from Regal Astra, and she can't trigger it on a follow-up that doesn't exist. Finally, despite everything, Ayra is still a Melee Infantry, and she still has to follow the rules of such.

Ayra is powerful, do not get me wrong. I had to kinda dig for those bad points. But you can easily misuse Ayra.

Rating: 9/10 Regal Astra in tandem with Ayra's statline make her one of the most powerful Infantry Swords in the game, but holding her back is the weakness to certain Blue Magic that plagues most other Infantry Swords. Also, she is still a Melee Infantry unit.

Mia

Spoiler

Mia is similar to Ayra in that her Attack is Average, albeit one point lower, and her Speed is good. Her Defense and HP took a hit to boost her Resistance for some reason though.

Mia is not as defining as Ayra, due to lack of Regal Astra. She is faster, in fact her Speed is equal to Ayra's only after Ayra equips a +Spd weapon, but without the Special that takes advantage of such, Mia resorts to dealing more damage with 2 charge specials like Moonbow through her personal weapon, the Resolute Blade, which is basically a 19 might Wo Dao. Not a bad distinction mind you.

Her other skills are... there. Flashing Blade, while good with her Speed, I feel suffers the fate of Heavy Blade and having a hard time working in the A slot, thankfully soon to be fixed as of typing. Vantage is just bad on an offensive unit.

Getting Mia down low enough to trigger Desperation on Flashing Blade charged Moonbow can be beneficial. But many of the bads that I said about Ayra apply here to, minus any benefits of Regal Astra.

Still, Mia's good. She's not Ayra, but she's good.

Rating: 8/10 Mia is something like Ayra without Regal Astra, but comes with a really strong personal Wo Dao, letting her match in both power and potent Special Triggers. While Mia won't be defining any metas anytime soon, she's still a bright soul among many dull units.

Anyways, now for the actual units of the day.

Lute

Spoiler

Lute is one unique Anima mage. While she isn't quite as fast as Linde or Delthea, she does have considerable Attack and Resistance while remaining relatively average in Speed. Her Defense is atrocious, and her HP won't let her take even one hit from a physical attack.

The Weirding Tome is perhaps the cornerstone of a good Lute, as it not only gets her Speed up to birdie, but also brings down the speed of cardinal direction foes. It's just Speed Ploy, but JUST being Speed Ploy is fantastic, and works well with Lute's Resistance. Res Ploy ensures that Lute will be dealing a lot of damage as well, while Rally Atk/Res is just a good assist skill for fellow mages, though its usefulness may vary from person to person. HP/Res 2 tries to fix a problem that, quite frankly, doesn't need fixing.

Lute's high Res means she can trigger her Ploy skills on most of the unit roster, especially if she has Fury 3 and a +Res nature to back it up. Her Speed being as good as it is also means Speed Ploy will let her either outspeed or avoid the double against most foes, while still dealing considerable damage thanks to her good Attack. As for her Special, Iceberg can be potentially very deadly, Moonbow takes on some of the more Res gifted units, and Glimmer can really hurt if something like a 30 power attack just doesn't cut it enough.

Once again though, holding Lute back is her lacking performance when trying to take physical hits, including from Manaketes. If she can't kill in one hit, she WILL die. Her HP being as bad as it is also means that while she CAN take magic hits, she won't last long.

Still, Lute's self-given reputation is warranted, and she has the potential to be among your deadlier Blue Mages.

Rating: 8/10 Lute has deadly Ploy potency. Maybe not on the level of Arvis/Saias, but it's still quite good, given her tome has Speed Ploy in it, she has Res Ploy by default, and Atk Ploy is a Sacred Seal. Her good statspread also means she can take advantage of each ploy effectively. Keep her away from physical damage and Manaketes, and Lute is good to go.

Dorcas

Spoiler

Memes aside, Dorcas is built for one thing and one thing only: Enemy Phase. His Attack and Defense are good, and his HP enables both Infantry Pulse, which he comes with, and Panic Ploy against many of the more glass cannon units who would want to be running field buffs. His Resistance is not good, and his Speed in tandem means most mages will have him dead on the follow-up.

The above are the cornerstones of an Enemy Phase unit, and his base kit does not go too far from such. Besides being a DC weapon, Stout Tomahawk also has the might of a personal weapon backing Dorcas's high Attack,  further backed by Fierce Stance and Draconic Aura, which a +Atk translates to a solid 18 bonus damage. Quick Riposte means he will always double on enemy phase, and usually have Draconic Aura ready on his second attack, while Infantry Pulse means his allies has their specials ready sooner.

There's really no going wrong with his base kit: it's among the best base kits in the game, and has Dorcas ready for combat from the gate, though if you need better or more expensive options, Sturdy Stance boosts his Defense in addition to his Attack and can enable Dorcas a Bonfire stronger than Draconic Aura.

The bads? Dorcas is dead to any form of Magic. Be it Manakete or a tome, Dorcas doesn't have the Resistance to take even one hit from them without being severely crippled, and his Speed means he has to take two. While most mages may just die to Dorcas on the counterattack, it's still not a good idea to leave him near a Red Mage, since most of the popular ones are one-hit wonders. And again, Dorcas has to take two hits, so two hits from one-hit wonders.

There's no bad mutton to be seen though, and Dorcas proves a solid enemy-phase powerhouse.

Rating: 8/10 Dorcas is one of the most ready enemy-phase units in the game, and he proves powerful as a result. He's weak to Magic, but he can still be exceptionally powerful against the right matchups. As an overall, Dorcas is a unit who's strengths and weaknesses balance together to make one of the more frightening enemy=phase units to grace the game.

I feel slightly more biased towards Lute than Dorcas, even though they have the same score...

Lute - Can I get Saias but with access to max merges? Sure you can, have some better stats as well. Lute can't ploy all four stats at once, but she can live without the Def Ploy utility. And even if you don't care about ploys, the free speed ploy on her weapon plus the speed boost turns her okay speed stat into something competitive to match her incredible attack stat. She's also a top of the line blarblade user for OHKOs. 7.5 out of 10.

Dorcas - DC weapons may be falling behind the standard, but being able to combine DC with a breath skill is still every enemy phase unit's dream. Plus his stat distribution is quite good by dropping so much speed.While I feel like Dorcas performs better than Brave Ike, I had to rate them the same because I know Brave Ike's unique skills really messes with hasty players on Arena Defense. So 8 out of 10.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6
  123. Gray - 5
  124. Saber - 3
  125. Mathilda - 3
  126. Delthea - 6.5
  127. Sonya - 4.5
  128. Leon - 6
  129. Seth - 2
  130. Tana - 7
  131. Amelia -8
  132. Innes - 6
  133. Brave Roy - 6.5
  134. Brave Lucina - Abstain
  135. Brave Ike - 8
  136. Brave Lyn - 8.5
  137. Elincia - 7.5
  138. Osxar - 6
  139. Nephenee - 7
  140. Sigurd - 7.5
  141. Tailtiu - 4.5
  142. Deirdre - 6
  143. Ayra - 9
  144. Mia - 8
  145. Lute - 7.5
  146. Dorcas -8

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. Leo I'd bump up to a 3. Hector is a 7.5 because he's been powercreeped again

Lute: She comes with a good tome by default, a tome that gives her +3 speed so even at neutral she'll have decent enough speed, as well as also having a Ploy effect built into her weapon. Couple that with the other Ploy she comes with in her skill set and her great resistance stat, and she can ploy extremely well. She also has good attack, so she'll hit pretty hard. She's very frail, though, like pretty much all mages are, but she has enough good about her abilities as a unit that she'll be a prime blue tome user for basically whatever you need. 8/10

Dorcas: Like Brave Ike, Dorcas is almost like an armored unit with better movement. His attack, HP, and defense are all great, and his bad resistance is still better than most other infantry axe units in the game. His slow speed doesn't matter much if you let him keep his native Quick Riposte or give him the QR seal, so he'll still have a good chance to double his opponent. His weapon comes with Distant Counter, so it's very dangerous for any unit aside from Brave Lyn to hit him and expect to make it out of there. 9/10

Lute

• Offense-focused stat line, with good Atk and Res, ok Spd, and poor Def.
    • Weirding Tome (Spd +3, built-in Spd Ploy 3) is a powerful support weapon, allowing her to apply a Spd debuff to foes without consuming her C or Seal slots.
    • Very strong red, decent-strong blue matchups with a triple-Ploy setup (Atk/Spd/Res). Ploys are applied to applicable foes. Blue matchups depend on enemy Res buff level (matchups examined with buff values of 3 & 6).
    • Very strong red and blue performance against tome-carrying foes with a Distant Def stacking set on defense.
  • She can provide stat ploy support with her good Res with both her C/Seal slots and her weapon slot.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (very strong red, decent-strong blue offense matchups), and 1.5 for support (ploy capability with both C/Seal and weapon slots), for a total rating of 8/10.

Dorcas

• Physically focused stat line, with good Atk and Def, mediocre Res, and poor Spd.
    • Stout Tomahawk (built-in Distant Counter) is a powerful defensive tool.
    • Strong blue, mediocre green matchups with an Atk-stacking Brave Axe set on offense.
    • Very strong blue, decent green matchups on defense using a Steady Breath set with his default Stout Tomahawk.
  • He can provide Panic ploy (or Infantry Pulse) support with his good HP stat.

Overall, I give him 8 for combat (very strong blue, decent green matchups on defense), and 1 for support (Panic Ploy capability), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid