Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

Celica 

The only unit on the banner that isn't a DC armor, and instead an infantry sword of all things. Her stats are good but not amazing, and her weapon is rather gimmicky, like Ragnarok, providing a boost at 100% HP but unlike falchion, doesn't have in built renewal. This gives her great first round combat but unless she has a way to heal back up, her weapon just becomes a glorified silver sword afterwards. She also lacks synergy with skills like wrath, desperation and brazen, limiting her options. I won't be considering Atk/Spd push due to my stance on seasonal exclusive skills, so she gets an 8/10

Hardin

The blue DC armor. I don't think I need to elaborate on Steady breath+Bold fighter again. He has a very balanced stat spread, but unlike other balanced units, his BST allows him to pull it off. Great mixed bulk lets him tank both physical and magical hits, and a workable Atk stat lets him hit hard with bold fighter on player phase. However his best banes are -4, taking him down a scoring bin, which forces players to choose between score or stats.

He does lack a broken special like Zelgius which puts him behind a little, so he scores 9.5/10

Edited by Korath88

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celica

• Offense-focused stat line, with good Atk and Spd, and ok Def and Res.
    • Beloved Zofia (Def +3, Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 during combat if Celica's HP = 100% at start of combat, and -4 HP after combat if she attacks).
    • Very strong green, strong red matchups on offense with a basic offense-stacking set with Beloved Zofia, but requires some form of outside sustain to reliably keep this up. She has very strong green, and decent red matchups with a Slaying Edge+/Moonbow/DC/Wrath set when within the Wrath threshold (sustainability through Wrath). She has very strong green, and passable red matchups with a basic Brave Sword+/Life and Death set (sustainability through Desperation).
    • Very strong green, decent red matchups on defense with a Beloved Zofia/DC set, but requires some form of outside sustain to reliably keep this up. She has the Atk stat to pull off the standard Slaying Edge+/Moonbow/Wrath set (very strong green, passable red matchups).
  • She can provide basic field/combat buff support for her allies.

Overall, I give her 8.5 for combat (based on combat performance with a Beloved Zofia or Slaying Edge set), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 8/10.

Hardin

• Strong, bulky stat line featuring good Atk and Def, decent Res, and low Spd.
    • Gradivus (built-in Distant Counter) is a powerful defensive tool.
    • Incredibly strong red, strong blue matchups with a standard mixed phase set (Gradivus/Bonfire/Steady Breath/Bold Fighter/QR Seal). He's also a capable user of a pure offense Brave Lance+ set.
    • Very strong red, decent blue matchups with a standard mixed phase set (see above).
  • As an armor unit, he can provide armor field/combat buffs for his allies. He has the HP to run Panic Ploy, and has some stat ploy with his decent Res stat.

Overall, I give him 10 for combat (incredibly strong red, strong blue matchups on offense, mixed phase bonus), and 2 for support (armor field/combat buff, stat & Panic ploy capability), for a total rating of 9.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Fallen Celica - Don't have her. She looks like a real solid sword with balanced stats. Basically she is Eirika 2.0. Swap her defense and res and give her an actual atk stat by dumping the gen 2 bst bonus into it and you have Fallen Celica. Problem is Fallen Celica lacks the super awesome prf that Eirika has. Goodness do I love that sword! Celica's sword ain't terrible, but Eirika's tome does it the better way and only costs you 1 each of atk and spd. If I were to rate her it would probably be similar to where I would put Eirika, but maybe a .5 higher for having an actual attack stat. That said I haven't actually used her and I wasn't paying this attention back when Eirika was rated, so I figure I should abstain. Still wanted to drop a few cents though. Bored. What can I say?

Mr. Dark Emperor - This guy is the best lance armor if you ask me. At the very least he and Effie are neck and neck(Though I am a bit biased. I have never had a Christmas Robin who wasn't -SPD, elsewise I might prefer him since he and Amelia are very similar, just different colors). He is a bit squishier than he appears since he will be doubled and being doubled is rather bad for your health unless you completely go all out in a defensive stat. And Hardin spread himself thin enough that while he can take hits on either end that he will feel those hits coming his way. He really needs to pick one to focus on if he wants to handle everything on that side. But if he does that he has a weakness on the side he didn't focus on. However, that is where his mixed phase capabilities come in. If he can't tank and counter kill you he likely can kill you by smacking you in the face with Bold Fighter. This combined with natural DC makes him a real threat. I debated hotly with myself on this guy. 9 or 9.5? So I waited and let the others influence me. 9.5/10 it is. Might be a bit high since he doesn't really handle stuff as well as Myrrh in my experience(being doubled is just that much of a problem), but I also can't say that I have him with his optimal build(no breath yet), whereas my Myrrh is rather optimally set up. So that could be the source of discrepancy.

I'm disappointed at you, @JSND Alter Dragon Boner. This is betrayal of the highest order.

Celica: 8.20
Hardin: 9.42

... Hardin having the highest score to date is kinda strange to see. Then again we're entering the age of Armors so what else did I expect?

Grima Robin, Fell Reincarnation

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
45/48/51
37/40/44
21/24/27
32/35/38
23/27/30

Base Skills:

Expiration
( - )
Ignis

( - )
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Dragons

Chrom, Knight Exalt

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
37/41/44
34/37/40
24/28/31
31/34/37
13/17/20

Base Skills:

Sealed Falchion
( - )
Aether

Fury
Chill Def
Sword Valor

7 minutes ago, The Priest said:

I'm disappointed at you, @JSND Alter Dragon Boner. This is betrayal of the highest order.

Celica: 8.20
Hardin: 9.42

... Hardin having the highest score to date is kinda strange to see. Then again we're entering the age of Armors so what else did I expect?

Grima Robin, Fell Reincarnation

Reveal hidden contents

Max. Stats:
45/48/51
37/40/44
21/24/27
32/35/38
23/27/30

Base Skills:

Expiration
( - )
Ignis

( - )
Vengeful Fighter
Ward Dragons

Chrom, Knight Exalt

Reveal hidden contents

Max. Stats:
37/41/44
34/37/40
24/28/31
31/34/37
13/17/20

Base Skills:

Sealed Falchion
( - )
Aether

Fury
Chill Def
Sword Valor

I know i will rate him 15/10 so i deliberately skipped this one

• Grima: Highest BST among dragons, this includes highest attack, HP and second on defense, a weapon that has distant counter and damages the lowest of the defenses for ranged units, he can potentially reach the highest attack in the game along with Hector, his speed is bad and will be doubled a lot and his resistance is only average at best, but when you have Vengeful Fighter, access to the Breath skills, abuse of both armor and dragon buffs, have distant counter on the weapon and access to dealing a massive amount of damage if given the correct IV's, you've practically got someone that only needs to be afraid of armor and dragon slayers, 9/10

• Chrom: He's being helpful, highest attack among sword cavaliers, an amazing spread of both Defense and HP, couple that with a respectable speed stat and you've got a solid unit, his weapon, aside from making him a dragon killer, gives him +5 to all stats if he so happens to lose 1 point of HP, since he comes with Fury that is an instant death machine after that first attack, dragons should fear him if he can one-shot them with Aether, because he's mounted, he can abuse of horse buffs perfectly to slay them and has Chill Def to make bulky units less bulky, honestly, he's already powerful with this kit, but giving him something like a Brazen skill, Def Feint or something similar, he's going to be a lot more helpful in battle, just keep him away from mages, cause even in the range of his weapon, his resistance sucks and his speed is only average and will be doubled by a few other units, 8/10

M!Grima: The third pillar of the mega broken armors. Grima has a focus on Atk/Def with above average Hp, average Res and below average Spd. Just like with the other two, M!Grima is a beast. He sports the highest Atk in the game tied with L!Hector thanks to his superboon in Atk, his great physical bulk means that anything that doesn't deal effective damage or abuses specials will have a hard time putting a dent to him. Thanks to being a Dragon he has an easier time against ranged units due to breaths targetting the lower defensive stat and with Grima's huge Atk it'll hurt. Now, unlike the other two Grima has more glaring weaknesses. For starters he suffers from Armor and Dragon slaying weapons, while Naga is a non concern due to him counterkilling them Falchion users are a huge pain and Grima should avoid having to face any of them, Armor slaying weapons aren't that common outside of the highest tiers of arena but it's worth to keep that in mind. His low Spd coupled with his not so great Res make him a prey for other bulky Dragons, the Tikis in particular (mages are a non-issue due to their tendency to have low bulk). That being said, those weaknesses aren't enough to make M!Grima significantly worse than the other two godly armors, for starters his Prf weapon Expiration has in-built DC do you see the tendency here? with adaptative damage meaning that he can use the x-Breath+Bold Fighter+QR seal combo which is broken as hell, and coupled with his ridiculous Atk will make you think twice before trying to face him, the only reason he and Hardin can't reach a 10/10 is that they lack a broken special like Zelgius.

Rating: 9.5/10

BK!Chrom: If Sigurd is the paragon of defensive sword cavs and Siegbert is the paragon for offensive ones, then BK!Chrom is the middle of the road one. Normally this is a bad thing due to how balanced spreads reduce the effectiveness of the niche a unit can perform. Luckily BK!Chrom spread allows him to pull it off with ease. High Atk/Def, below average Hp/Spd and no Res scream "Physical tank" but things aren't that simple for Chrom. His Prf weapon, Sealed Falchion, increases all his stats by 5 during combat as long as he's below 100% Hp, this puts him at a spread of 41/42/33/39/22 after his first round of combat (or use of Ardent Sacrifice/Reciprocal Aid, but those are a waste on him) which is absurdly strong. This opens a ton of options on his A-slot that allow him to perform a huge amount of roles ranging from PP nuke to EP tank to mixed phase sets and he'll be above average in every single one of those roles. Now, he's not without weaknesses. For starters the requiriments of his weapon mean that his first round of combat is going to be relatively subpar, although his high base Atk mitigates this to an extend. Despite his high bulk after Sealed Falchion bonuses, BK!Chrom is kinda frail due to the need of losing Hp to perform at his best. Third of all, his Spd is kinda mediocre for today's standards so he's going to need a +Spd nature if he wants to compete with Siegbert as a PP nuke. And finally, even with the bonuses his Res is garbage so keep him away from mages and dragons he can't OHKO/ORKO. 

Rating: 8.5/10

Bleeeeh... I've become very slack in even participating in these things... I didn't even have one typed up for Celica and Hardin, and those are the only two summoning-pool Fallen Heroes I even have...

Male Robin (Grima)

Spoiler

One of the strongest units in the game. Grima's Attack, despite already being base 40, can become a Superboon for the lucky. His Speed took a hit to improve on his Defense, but his Resistance remains below-average. HP is fine for an Armor unit.

Expiration is basically an unforgable but 16 might Lightning Breath, with the Ranged Pierce effect by default and no Special Cooldown penalty. It's pretty deadly, as would be expected for the weapon wielded by the final boss in the final map of Awakening. Ignis and Vengeful Fighter go together well, being ready to trigger by Grima's second attack, and Ward Dragons is exactly what it looks like: A Ward skill for Breath units.

Expiration is deadly, yes, but it can still be replaced with Lightning Breath if the extra stats really matter to you. Vengeful Fighter is also good, but it can still stack with Steady/Warding Breath to ensure that any Special can trigger for Grima. Bold Fighter is also an option if you want a deadly Mixed Phase unit, giving Grima the Quick Riposte SS. Ward Dragons is okay for Manakete teams, but it's be best replaced for Armor teams.

Grima's weaknesses. Being a Breath and Armor unit, he is vulnerable to both Dragon effective weaponry and Armor effective weaponry. His Resistance isn't stellar, so the two Naga users can potentially spell his doom before he can attack, without any notable Res stacking at least, though he should be okay against Thani. Fachion users, however, are almost guaranteed a OHKO so long as there's nothing getting Grima's Defense and the Falchions Attack too high and too low. His less than stellar Resistance also means that One-hit wonder Red Mages are going to prey on Grima.

Overall, a powerful unit, but weak to Red units. I guess that'd be fitting of one who doesn't want to be anywhere near Falchion...

Rating: 9/10 While he does have double weaknesses to worry about, Grima is a powerful unit, able to absorb most physical hits without worry while returning in full with powerful attacks. His base kit is good from the start, so anything you add to Grima will only benefit him. The unsuspecting will be rended dead by Grima's hand, though Red units generally laugh at Grima and kill him dead. Naga can also be a pain...

Knight Exalt Chrom

Spoiler

Someone told Chrom "Look, a horsy!", and he took that as a challenge... somehow? All the training on this wild steed has weakened Chrom's heath a great bit, but he is faster and bulkier as a result, while his overall strength and resistance remain unchanged.

...basically, Chrom is exactly what you expect from putting Chrom on a horse: Knight Exalt Chrom is literally Chrom on a horse. Kinda like reclassing Chrom to a Paladin in Awakening, on reflection...

Anyways, the Sealed Falchion is the cornerstone of his base kit. Besides having Dragon effectiveness, so long as he is without even one HP, all of Chrom's stats are boosted by 5 as a Combat Buff. Given his base A passive is Fury, even facing a 2 range foe who can't counterattack will get him into range of Brazen Spectrum, while also boosting his stats even more than usual. This also makes Chrom deceptively speedy, between Fury, Sealed Falchion, and any Cavalry Emblem buffs. Chill Defense makes Chrom's offensive potency even better, making sure at least one of the enemy will have low enough Defense to net a kill against. Aether is a good skill to have, since it resets most of Chrom's taken damage. Finally, Sword Valor is useless, but still nice to have in the general summoning pool.

Brazen Atk/Spd would be a good skill to give Chrom in place of Fury if you'd like to bring his Speed even higher, or Brazen Atk/Def for even more bulk on top of what Chrom already has. Both do require he take a solid amount of damage from an enemy attack, but small price to pay. Chill Defense is good to keep, but Desperation can work well with Brazen Atk/Spd. Aether is good to keep, but if you drop Fury then dropping Aether may be smart to, as it means he will no longer be guaranteed to have less than full HP, so Bonfire/Ignis are your strongest choices. Really, Chrom is good out of the summoning pool, and there isn't much you need to do to improve him.

As a Horse unit, and with horrid Resistance, Chrom will die to any form of Horse-effective weaponry, especially the Keen Wolftome series. Maybe not Zanbato or Poleax, but definitely Keen Wolftomes. Having horrid Resistance in general is bad. Because his HP will almost always want to be below 100%, Chrom will always be injured, making his good physical bulk weaker even with any boosts to Defense. Because his HP is far lower than his base form, he can't really run with Panic Ploy all that well. One last nitpick, Sealed Falchion does not have the Renewal 2 or Renewal 3 effect that all other Falchions have. Maybe for the best given its effect, but it means Chrom is purely an offensive unit and can never be a pseudo healer.

Overall, Exalt Chrom is a good unit with potential, though the path that potential will take is up to your decision.

Rating: 7.5/10 Chrom is powerful when he has taken damage. His base kit helps with such, and can be tweaked in places for even better performance. His Resistance is horrid though, no matter what you do with it.

Grima (M)

Completing the trio of DC armors, we have the final boss of awakening, who fittingly has the single highest Atk stat in the game with a superboon.

All the stuff about bold fighter and steady breath also applies here, but Grima does have some unique traits due to being a dragon. He does magic damage against melee targets and adaptive damage against ranged targets, further complimenting his high Atk stat. However this comes at the cost of having the standard dragon weakness, giving him some enemies he can't engage without dying horribly (basically the falchions).

Those drawbacks don't outweigh the perks of being an armor dragon so he gets a 10/10 

and speaking of dragon killers, we have

Chrom (TBK)

Also my least liked regular pool alt but that's hardly relevant. He's the only dragon slayer that isn't infantry which gives him a niche over the others.

Sealed falchion gives him +5 to all stats below full HP, syncing very well with skills like fury and brazen Atk/Spd. While a pretty amazing weapon, his stats don't exactly line up well with the weapon's effect, having mediocre speed, limiting his ability to run speed based desperation builds. 

His stats are actually pretty similar to the typical slow and bulky sword cavaliers, with his prf being the thing that helps him stand out. As such he doesn't have much variety in builds. Outside his niche, he has decent matchups against red and good green matchups as long as his weapon is in effect. There's still the main issue of poor first round combat before he takes damage, which is his main flaw. He's still a rather niche pick compared to Sigurd, Siegbert and Ares who have more consistent performance though his solid niche and good combat at less than full HP give him a 7/10

Edited by Korath88

Grima - Tied for Highest attack stat in the game and like the other two green armors has an attack superboon. This boon is both crucial for hitting opponents, particularly ranged opponents, for maximum damage as well as allowing him to share the highest BST tier in the game with Hardin. Unlike Hardin, however, green is the most competitive color for armors and a lot of what you can say about Grima applies to both Winter!Chrom and Legendary Hector. Hector in particular is worth noting for both his incredible stats, personal skills, and delivering an elemental boost to his team. While Winter Chrom's access to weapon refinements let his mixed bulk dwarf that of the other two. Grima's Expiration is superior to standard DC weapons, and he is the only green armor who can combine that effect with a Breath skill. 9.5 out of 10.

Horse!Chrom - I'm convinced he and Eirika were both developed for a seasonal banner titled "Saddle Up!" where multiple Lords are learning to ride a horse for the first time. Chrom boasts the highest attack of all 13 sword cavs. Don't be too quick to dump his speed since it will be boosted another 5 points in combat when he's taken damage. Though I prefer the normal awakening Falchion refinement over sealed falchion when it comes to Lucina and Chrom, Sealed Falchion is still an excellent weapon encouraging you to get hurt or take ardent sacrifice as his assist skill. His dragon killing is a vital niche for this movement class, and his physical bulk is no slouch either. 7.5 out of 10.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6
  123. Gray - 5
  124. Saber - 3
  125. Mathilda - 3
  126. Delthea - 6.5
  127. Sonya - 4.5
  128. Leon - 6
  129. Seth - 2
  130. Tana - 7
  131. Amelia -8
  132. Innes - 6
  133. Brave Roy - 6.5
  134. Brave Lucina - Abstain
  135. Brave Ike - 8
  136. Brave Lyn - 8.5
  137. Elincia - 7.5
  138. Osxar - 6
  139. Nephenee - 7
  140. Sigurd - 7.5
  141. Tailtiu - 4.5
  142. Deirdre - 6
  143. Ayra - 9
  144. Mia - 8
  145. Lute - 7.5
  146. Dorcas -8
  147. Siegbert - 7.5
  148. Soleil - 7
  149. Shiro - 6.5
  150. Rhajat - 7
  151. Zelgius - 9.5
  152. Micaiah - 8
  153. Sothe - 4.5
  154. NotCanon!Eirika - 5.5
  155. L'Arachel - 6
  156. Myrrh - 9
  157. Celica - 8.5
  158. Hardin - 9.5
  159. M!Grima - 9.5
  160. Horse!Chrom - 7.5

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. Leo I'd bump up to a 3. Nino should be a 6. Hector is a 7.5. Hardin should be a 9.

Robin

• Physically focused stat line, with very good Atk, good Def, ok Res, and poor Spd.
    • Expiration (built-in Distant Counter, targets the lower defensive stat of 2-range foes) is a solid defensive weapon.
    • Incredibly strong blue, very strong green matchups on offense with a standard mixed phase set using Steady Breath, Bold Fighter, and the Quick Riposte seal.
    • Very strong blue and green matchups on defense with the same mixed phase set, but he must beware of Julia and Deirdre, as Naga and Divine Naga are capable of OHKOing him with the right setup.
  • As an armor unit, he can provide armor field/combat buffs for his allies. He also has Panic Ploy capability.

Overall, I give him 10 for combat (incredibly strong blue, very strong green offense matchups, mixed phase capability bonus), and 1.5 for support (armor field/combat buffs, Panic Ploy capability), for a total rating of 9.5/10.

Chrom

• Physically focused stat line, with very good Atk, good Def, mediocre Spd, and poor Res.
    • Sealed Falchion (Effective against dragons. Atk/Spd/Def/Res+5 when below 100% HP) gives Chrom a good combat niche and a powerful stat boost once he has taken damage.
    • Very strong green, decent red matchups on offense with an Atk/Spd stacking Sealed Falchion set when Hone Cavalry is active. He will struggle to KO the fastest of red threats. He's helped by the fact that greens tend to be slow and bulky.
    • He can run a one-range defense set using a Slaying Edge+ (Def) set for very strong green, and strong red matchups.
  • As a cavalry unit, he can provide cavalry field/combat buffs for his allies.

Overall, I give him 8.5 for combat (very strong green, decent red matchups on offense, useful combat niche), and 1 for support (cavalry field/combat buff), for a total rating 8/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid

Grima: Possibly the best dragon in the game. His weapon is fantastic, his stats are fantastic, and his weaknesses are sometimes not even enough to knock him out. He already comes with great skills but he's good enough to run whatever you want for both dragon and armor buffs. Really everything that needs to be said has been said by others before me. 9/10

Abstain from Knight Chrom. Like Hardin and Fallen Celica, I have yet to summon him.

M!Grima:

Ah, my most hype unit of the year so far. Amazing base kit, tied with having the highest ATK in the game, built in DC that doesn't penalize like the rest of the Dragons, & attacks through magic. Grima is beast through & through, which makes how amusing his weaknesses are.  Grima might be able to handle anti-armors even when he's TA disadvantage there's no denying bane of his existence will always be that Falchion. & occasionally Naga.

9.5/10

Dammit, I missed Hardin.

Grima - Take Myrrh, give her weapon innate DC, amp her attack, and give her a B skill that's QR and CD reduction in one, and that's Grima.  His downside IMO is that he's an armor, so Ward Dragons makes little sense on him.  IMO he works better as a bait unit than Myrrh, since he's guaranteed to double, can hit ranged units, and will most likely murder whoever attacked him on counter.  Like Myrrh, he's stuck with a single attack on initiation, but it's going to hurt far more than hers.  And heaven forbid he's +Atk.  If I had to choose, I'd rather deal with Myrrh - at least she has an arrow weakness!  9.5/10 (oh, and did I mention that his A slot is free?)

Chrom - It's Chrom.  On a horse.  And after a single tick of his default Fury, that's 45 base Atk with 36 Speed. . .with 42 defense to boot.  He can't counter at range nautrally, but that's okay - what doesn't kill him will turn him into an offensive monster.  Slap horse buffs on him for maximum giggles.  He can run a Brave Sword and murder things that way, too.  To give you, dear reader, an idea of how ridiculous Chrom's base stats are, if he's +Spd/-tank, he out-offenses Ares on numbers.  And I have a very high opinion of Ares.  9/10

Grima - This Guy is rather powerful. While his res and speed would make him mage bait under many circumstances, his high attack and even better adaptive damage makes him a danger for many mages. Maybe even more so than a RES stacked Hardin who will need QR and to survive two magic hits to ko the mage. Grima meanwhile has a solid change to one hit counter the mage, thus avoiding getting doubled. Like Hardin, Grima can make use of the DC+Breath+Bold Fighter+QR combo. Given this my rating should be obvious. Like Hardin and Myrrh, Grima gets a 9.5/10. I find Myrrh to be a bit tougher since doubles are such a big deal and being able to fly over anything means that she can more easily pick her encounters.  However, Grima has much more in the range of player phase capabilities.

Helpful Chrom - My experience isn't the best since mine sacked his speed(If I recall correctly), but even then he is fairly impressive. However, he doesn't quite have Siegbert's instant nuking abilities nor does he boast Sigurd Level defensive capabilities. I think I'll put him at 8/10. Lots of potential, but requires a bit of work to get everything going. So Siegbert edges him out a bit in my opinion.

Grima: 9.4
Chrom: 7.94

Well, the next round is awkward.

Morgan, Lad from Afar

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
34/37/41
30/33/36
31/34/37
17/20/23
23/26/30

Base Skills:

Grima's Truth
( - )
Dragon Fang

( - )
Dull Ranged
Spur Def/Res

Morgan, Lass from Afar

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
34/37/41
31/34/37
27/30/33
12/16/19
30/33/36

Base Skills:

Blárserpent+
( - )
Iceberg

Mirror Stance
Guard
Atk Ploy

11 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Well, the next round is awkward.

Bright side is: it won't be the same with the Kanas

Note: Color denominates the weapon they use to differentiate between the Morgans

• Morgan: He has a interesting weapon that gives him and his allies +5 Atk/Spd and debufs -5 Atk/Spd to his enemies when be battles, having 33/34 on offensive stats is already good and boosting them further will be better for him to double and avoid doubles and being a nuke if given the chance, Dull Ranged is not going to be good for him as his defensive stats at 20/26 are not so good for him to bait enemies, even mages can take care of him, he's mostly a player phase unit to buff allies and himself, be a nuke and that's mostly it for Morgan, nothing too big for him, 7/10

• Morgan: She however is a different story, unlike her male counterpart, she has an average speed stat and will be doubled a lot, but her set screams magic bait, 33 res on a mage is no joke, especially with Blarserpent+ and Mirror Stance which boost her already high res even further, she can run ploys easily with her already having Attack Ploy, but Speed Ploy or Res Ploy would be nice to have, unfortunately her defense and HP are pretty low which is really common for mage tanks like her, she is mostly an enemy phase unit to bait mages, take hits and trigger her special, give her Quick Riposte or boost her speed a little and she can be a great asset to the team, unless there's a stray arrow, not worth Iote's Shield, 8/10

M!Morgan - Grima's Truth is stranger than Fiction. Stealing Attack and Speed from opponents while buffing allies. If only M!Morgan were bulky enough to apply this effect without getting counterkilled by anything in high arena tiers. Morgan's naturally got a modern BST tier and with no superbane trap. You could give him a blade tome if the personal weapon doesn't interest you, but there are much better infantry red blade users whether you value one hit kills or a good speed stat. Interesting but questionable to pick over other red options. I don't think you can justify putting him on most teams but nothing about him screams unviable or outclassed until you take off his weapon. 6 out of 10.

F!Morgan - Morgan was in the game for TWO seconds before they made an alt of him. No personal weapon but she's the first flying tome user to enter the normal summoning pool. F!Morgan has the highest attack of the blue tome fliers, making her a decent pick for a OHKO blade build. That 30 speed is notably worse than her seasonal competition but 33 Res lets her ploy opponents for further chance of a one hit kill. The only other Tome Flier that has this potential is Bride Sanaki who has the superior stats but not the same color. Try to avoid that Def superbane in order to keep her BST tier intact. Blarserpent is...not the job of a unit that has this much potential for attack power. She can already survive mages and blarserpent would give up the counterkill. As for archers, even if you were equipped with Iote's shield any self respecting Archer will double with a firesweep bow for a kill or brave bow kill.  8 out of 10.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5
  99. Lachesis - 3
  100. Klein - 4
  101. Karel - 6.5
  102. Ninian - 7
  103. Lucius - 4.5
  104. Rebecca - 2.5
  105. Priscilla - 4
  106. Jaffar - 3.5
  107. Alm - 9
  108. Lukas - 7.5
  109. Clair - 7
  110. Faye - 5.5
  111. Ike - 6
  112. Titania - 3.5
  113. Soren - 4
  114. Mist - 2.5
  115. Celica - 7
  116. Mae - 6.5
  117. Boey - 3.5
  118. Genny - 6
  119. Luke - 3.5
  120. Katarina - 5.5
  121. Athena - 3.5
  122. Roderick - 6
  123. Gray - 5
  124. Saber - 3
  125. Mathilda - 3
  126. Delthea - 6.5
  127. Sonya - 4.5
  128. Leon - 6
  129. Seth - 2
  130. Tana - 7
  131. Amelia -8
  132. Innes - 6
  133. Brave Roy - 6.5
  134. Brave Lucina - Abstain
  135. Brave Ike - 8
  136. Brave Lyn - 8.5
  137. Elincia - 7.5
  138. Osxar - 6
  139. Nephenee - 7
  140. Sigurd - 7.5
  141. Tailtiu - 4.5
  142. Deirdre - 6
  143. Ayra - 9
  144. Mia - 8
  145. Lute - 7.5
  146. Dorcas -8
  147. Siegbert - 7.5
  148. Soleil - 7
  149. Shiro - 6.5
  150. Rhajat - 7
  151. Zelgius - 9.5
  152. Micaiah - 8
  153. Sothe - 4.5
  154. NotCanon!Eirika - 5.5
  155. L'Arachel - 6
  156. Myrrh - 9
  157. Celica - 8.5
  158. Hardin - 9.5
  159. M!Grima - 9.5
  160. Horse!Chrom - 7.5
  161. M!Morgan - 6
  162. F!Morgan - 8

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5 and Jeorge a 4, Cain would be a 3, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. Leo I'd bump up to a 3. Nino should be a 6. Hector is a 7.5. Hardin should be a 9.

Edited by Glennstavos

I shall refer to this round's unit's as M&M. 

M!Morgan: His stat spread focuses on Atk and Spd, having average Res and Hp with bad Def. Joining the ranks of unimpressive infantry red mages is M!Morgan, yay! Now, the problems should be obvious at first glance. His stats want him to be an offensive unit but they aren't high enough to make use of without a +Spd nature, making him highly dependent on RNG to work. Luckily for him he has the availability to overcome this issue but in optimal settings he's still in the same spot as Tharja. His Prf tome, Grima's Truth, is a defensive tool that reduces the opponent's Atk/Spd by 5 while increasing Morgan's and the teammates he has within two spaces by 5. The problem is that these types of buffs aren't reliable as one would usually do this: Morgan attacks->Teammate repositions/dances Morgan out of danger. One can make the best out of this with an hyper offense team but that's too gimmicky to consider. He performs the same as Tharja with a blade tome and Morgan't only advantage is having higher BST. All in all he's decent but doesn't really bring anything unique to the table so he can't dethrone Celica and Lilina when it comes to infantry red mages.

Rating: 7/10 (did I rate Tharja as a 7 too? I hope so, they are practically the same)

F!Morgan: Now this one's more unique. She has a focus on Atk/Res with relatively below average Spd and bad Hp/Def. F!Morgan is the first permanent blue tome flier in the game and this grants her a very powerful niche in Flier and mixed teams. Her stats aren't that good outside of her Res but she compensates this with utility. The first thing one would think is to give her a blade tome and let her be a Glass cannon but her stat spread, her lackluster Spd being the obvious one, doesn't suit this playstyle at all (and if you really want to go that round then whale for Summer Corrin or Summer Camilla as they are better suited for that role), instead her job is to be a debuffer with the use of ploys. It may seem weird at first glance but Morgan's spread tends to favor this playstyle as it'll easily patch up her middling stats and will make her quite the sturdy magical tank. This is further emphasized with her default weapon Blarserpent+ which has Distant Def built-in. For weaknesses it's obvious that one should keep Morgan away from any kind of physical damage and dragons as they'll target her pathetic Def. Her Spd will also cause her issues if she doesn't use Guard so keep that in mind. F!Morgan is a decent unit but her spread leaves a lot to be desired when compared to the seasonal fliers. At least she's permanent and very cute.

Rating: 7.5/10

10 more days of permanent pool (+Askrs)!

Morgan (Lad from Afar)

• Offense-focused stat line, with good Atk and Spd, ok Res, and low Def.
    • Grima's Truth (Def +3, inflicts Atk/Spd-5 on target and foes within 2 spaces of target after combat, and Atk/Spd+5 to Morgan and allies within 2 spaces)
    • Very strong green, strong red buff-dependent matchups on offense with a Rauðrblade+ set.
    • Strong green, ok red matchups with a Grima's Truth/Close Counter/Windsweep set against foes that have received the Grima's Truth debuff. It's a rather gimmicky set, but he can pull it off with the right setup.
  • He can provide basic field/combat buff support for his teammates, and buff/debuff support through Grima's Truth, if he uses it.

Overall, I give him 8 for combat (very strong green, strong red matchups with a Rauðrblade+ set on offense), and .5 for support (basic field/combat buff; Grima's Truth buff support ignored due to the use of Rauðrblade+ for the combat evaluation), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

Morgan (Lass from Afar)

• Magically focused stat line, with good Atk and Res, ok Spd, and poor Def.
    • Very strong red, strong blue matchups on offense with a Blárblade+ set when Hone Fliers is active. Blue matchups become very strong if Fortify Fliers is also active.
    • Very strong defense matchups against mages with a Blárserpent+ set.
  • As a flier, she can provide flier field/combat buffs for her allies. She can provide stat ploy support with her good Res stat.

Overall, I give her 8.5 for combat (very strong red, strong blue matchups on offense with a Blárblade+ set), and 1.5 for support (flier field/combat buff, stat ploy support), for a total rating of 8/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

All my ratings.

Morgan (M)

a very typical speedy red mage, not unlike Tharja, Katarina and Celica. His prf is quite similar to sothe's so similar benefits and drawbacks apply, with the difference that he does magic damage instead. It is notably a niche that no other mage provides, which does help his viability.

While he can also be rated on a blade set, it really isn't much different from a blade Tharja or Katarina build. Either way, he gets a 7/10 for either a unique weapon effect or decent combat with a bladetome.

Morgan (F)

The first mage flier to enter the normal pool, her stats and base kit are optimised for magic tanking. However her lopsided defenses sort of waste the +6 def from her time as it isn't enough to make her a potential archer counter.

Offensively she is outclassed by the seasonal blue mage fliers and doesn't run a blade set as well as them due to poor speed, though it isn't out of the option. She does run ploys better than them though.

While magic tanking isn't the greatest niche, and blue is probably the worst colour to be a mage tank in due to the lack of relevant red mages, there aren't many other options for a flying mage tank giving her a niche on flier emblem. 

7.5/10 for decent matchups within her niche and ploy support or good but not spectacular combat as a flying bladetome.

Edited by Korath88

33 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Morgan (M)

a very typical speedy red mage, not unlike Tharja, Katarina and Celica. His prf is quite similar to sothe's so similar benefits and drawbacks apply, with the difference that he does magic damage instead. It is notably a niche that no other mage provides, which does help his viability.

While he can also be rated on a blade set, it really isn't much different from a blade Tharja or Katarina build. Either way, he gets a 7/10 for either a unique weapon effect or decent combat with a bladetome.

These are my thoughts as well and I'd also rate him a 7/10

Male Morgan

Spoiler

He is Tharja but with slightly better stat allocation. One point better Attack, three point worse Defense, six point better  Resistance, and two point worse HP. In this sense, he is better at taking damage from Mages than Tharja.

Grima's Truth is a pseudo-Dagger closely related to the Rogue Dagger, targeting 5 Attack and Speed on both sides instead of Defense and Resistance. It also comes with complimentary +3 Defense. Dull Ranged means Morgan doesn't have to worry about targeting Bladetomes and dying, since they will be treated as if they don't have any buffs at all, while Spur Def/Res is simply a boost to both Defense and Resistance. Dragon Fang I feel is replaceable, but as a set-damage special it does at least do more than Ignis or Glacies on Morgan.

One possible path for Morgan to take is the Rauðrblade path, just like the unit he so strongly resembles. Even if that doesn't sound appealing after using it for a while, you can carry over the use of Fury or Life and Death to the use of Grima's Truth, Fury bettering Morgan's overall bulk and power, and Life and Death worsening his bulk and making his power even better. Desperation would be a good B passive if you don't find yourself needing to ignore Field Buffs on mages enough to justify Dull Ranged. As for Specials, Moonbow and Glimmer are both nice and cheap, as well as going with Rauðrblade well, while Luna or Draconic Aura would both do good with Grima's Truth.

Morgan doesn't have very good Defense, even after Grima's Truth is applied, so Bows and DC melee units will be a threat to him. Given that most melee units are now packing some form of Distant Counter, this can prove worrisome. His Res isn't exactly good either, despite being enough to take on most mages, so Morgan needs to keep away from high speed Mages. The buff from Grima's Truth is great, and can prove necessary to some teammates, but it does require Morgan attack the enemy first, and without a Dancer he can't actually take advantage of it himself on Player Phase. Lastly, Morgan shouldn't be your first pick for a Rauðrblade mage, as Tharja, despite being slightly worse, is still pretty much the same as Morgan while coming with the tome by default, as well as mounted mages being able to get better buffs than Infantry.

Overall, Morgan is a good little mage, but he will need a little bit of care to make sure he doesn't accidentally get himself killed.

Rating: 7/10 With access to a good buffing weapon and a good offensive spread, Morgan has the tools one would ask for out of an offensive mage. Lacking in the defensive department though, so it goes without saying that Morgan needs to be worked around a little bit.

Female Morgan

Spoiler

I thought it'd be impossible for them to make Morgan look even a little fanservicy, yet here we are...

Anyways, Morgan comes with all the tools needed to be a magically defensive powerhouse. First, her statspread couldn't ask for much more than being a magical tank, with decent spreads among HP, Attack, Speed, and Resistance. As a result, something got dropped. I'll let you guess what it was.

Blarserpent is the Blue Tome equivelant of Guard Bow, coming with Distant Defense 3 built in. Mirror Stance boosts enemy-phase Attack and Resistance by 4 each. Guard prevents the foe from charging their Special as long as Morgan is within the HP range. Atk Ploy will trigger on a good number of enemies and make her even more capable of taking magical damage. Iceberg off 33 base Res is already pretty good, but her Resistance is also being boosted on Enemy Phase by 10, so that's even better.

Morgan has no excuse to not be tanking ranged magic damage. Most non-Bladetome sources of damage can get almost completely negated after all of her skills are triggered, especially if she has Fortify Fliers triggered on her, and they won't even be able to charge their Special because Morgan will have Guard. Quick Riposte can replace Guard though, since Morgan doesn't necessarily have enough Speed to get doubles, though QR can also be used as a SS. An alternate Morgan build, if you got +Spd, is using Blarblade. Life and Death, Desperation, Moonbow/Glimmer, the works really. Morgan is the only Blue Tome Flier in the regular summoning pool, and such should not be easily ignored.

Hurting Morgan a lot is... well, let's just say that even triple stacking Distant Defense 3 won't do Morgan any good against bows. Maybe with Distant Defense 6, Iotes Shield, and Fortify Fliers...? Anyways, Morgan also doesn't have much she can do about Green mages, at least as far as Gronnblade goes. Dull Ranged would help the problem a bit, but it requires she drop Guard as well, which Blade Mages will be more than happy to take advantage of. One last problem is that, while she CAN run Blarblade, she is marginally worse at it than the other two Blue Tome Fliers, albeit the other two aren't in the summoning pool.

Overall, Morgan has enough diversity to safely insert into a team as an offensive nuke or a magical tank. That enough is worth considering to keep her around.

Rating: 7.5/10 Morgan has potential as a magical tank, and can run with Blarblade should the need arise. While she isn't able to do anything about her horrid Defense, she can still keep a number of mages in check with just her base kit alone.

I'm going to be a jerk, and make you figure out which Morgan I'm talking about via context clues.  Tee-hee~!

Morgan - 33/34 is better offensive capabilities than Katarina (before pesky things like skills).  Grima's Truth gives his offensive numbers a nifty boost, but he needs to hit first.  While the stat change is really nice, Morgan won't be able to capitalize on those new-and-improved numbers without baiting (which is really risky when it's anything but a green mage), or a dancer.  But if he can pull it off, he makes things a lot easier to kill.  7.5/10 for reasons I'll outline below.

Morgan - WHY IS SHE SO STUPIDLY HARD TO PULL, HER TOME IS AMAZING!  Ahem. . .34 Atk is tied with Ishtar, but she's stuck on 30 speed.  She also has a whopping 33 Res, and when combined with her default kit, becomes 43 Res when a mage initiates on her.  Put Distant Defense in her S slot, and she'll absorb magic like Celes' Rune Blade.  Her middling speed leaves her in danger of being doubled, and she absolutely can't bait arrows.  Still, some flier buffs will ensure a good amount of pain on the enemies!  8/10 for having a defined niche, unlike the other Morgan.