Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

Here is how my criteria are rated:

Spoiler

Mobility:
Armor units are 0/10. Infantry units are 5/10. Cavalry units are 8/10. Flying units are 9/10. Units with unique mobility skills will bump up their score.
Range:
Melee units are 0/10. Distant Counter Weapon melee units are 5/10. Ranged units are 10/10.
Ease of Use:
This is an average of the mobility and range scores.
Player Phase Raw Performance:
This is based on the W:L:I ratio. Enemies will have a set up of +5, +Spd, Moonbow, and Fury. The unit will be +0, may not use Breakers, and will not have Chills or Ploys activate. Units may have access to buffs (usually, +4 to any two stats for infantry and armors, and 6/6/0/0 or 0/0/6/6 for cavalry and fliers). I would also list the build used to achieve that ratio. I think the following formula is pretty reasonable:
(W%) - (L%*0.25) = Raw Performance
Player Phase Weighted Performance:
Since most units can get a raw performance score of at least 5, setting 5 as 0 for the weighted performance makes more sense in judging how good a unit is.
(Raw Performance - 5) * 2 = Weighted Performance
Player Phase Independence:
This just means how reliant the unit is on buffs. If I take off the buffs and the unit still performs pretty well, they will get a good score. Independence will be based on the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase raw performance. The formula is this:
(Raw Performance without buffs) / (Raw Performance) = Independence
Enemy Phase Raw Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance:
See Above.
Enemy Phase Independence:
See Above.
Support:
Most units by default will be 0/10. Units with 30+ Res start from 1/10. Healers start from 2/10. Buffers start from 3/10. Fliers start from 4/10. Dancers/Singers start from 5/10. Other unique support skills may further boost their score.
Other:
If the unit has some unique application or fun build, it will be noted here. For example, since Raven mages have a performance penalty, they will get some extra points here for being relevant and viable in certain team compositions.

Familiarity/Experience:
This just means how familiar I am with this particular unit or type of unit in Arena. If it is a low number, that means you should take the following rating number with a grain of salt since I do not have much experience with this particular unit or type of unit.
Rating:
The rating is how good I think a unit is. Here is how I weigh each criterion:
Ease of Use 4/10
Weighted Performance: 4/10 (The higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase will be used.)
Independence: 1/10 (Uses matching independence rating for the phase considered in weighted performance.)
Support: 1/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Notes:
1. A unit's build in raw performance will not take into account a unit's support build, Raven build, or any other builds. Likewise, a unit's ease of use, support, and other criteria will not take into account the unit's raw performance build.
2. Since healers' Firesweep build [+Atk, Pain [Dazzling Staff], Attack +3, Wrathful Staff, Attack +3] requires the user to do two rounds of combat to measure how good it is, that overwhelmingly skews the combat results for healers, so I decided to tone down their performance by using Brazen Atk/Spd-Desperation and taking away 10 HP or 25% of max HP, which ever is greater.

Disclosures:
I have a strong bias for non-armor Player Phase ranged units. My experience with melee and armor units in Arena is pretty minimal, so my rating for them is mostly based on theory. My Arena core consists of BH!Lyn, Reinhardt, and Olivia. I am usually in Tier 20, but I may drop to Tier 19 if I do not fish for points.

Other:

Spoiler

Template

— — — — — — — ◆Red◆ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ◾Blue◾ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ⬟Green⬟ — — — — — — —
— — — — — — — ●Colorless● — — — — — — —

Mobility: /10
Range: /10
Ease of Use: /10
Player Phase Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Player Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Player Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#
[+Boon, -Bane, Weapon, Special, A, B, Sacred Seal, #/#/#/#]
Enemy Phase Performance: /10 — #:#:#
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: /10
Enemy Phase Independence: /10 — #:#:#
Support: /10
Other: /10

Familiarity/Experience: /10
Rating: /10

Summary:

— — — — — — — ◆Caeda◆ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 9/10
Range: 0/10
Ease of Use: 4.5/10
Player Phase Performance: 7.79/10 — 199:20:30
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 5.58/10
Player Phase Independence: 4.66/10 — 96:22:131
[+Atk, -Res, Wing Sword [Spd], Moonbow, Swift Sparrow, Desperation, Attack +3, 6/6/0/0]
Enemy Phase Performance: 6.5/10 — 173:45:31
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 2.99/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 6.72/10 — 124:61:64
[+Atk, -Res, Wing Sword [Spd], Moonbow, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Attack +3, 6/6/0/0]

Support: 4/10
Other: 10/10

Familiarity/Experience: 0/10
Rating: 6/10

Summary:

Caeda got good combat performance with her Wing Sword, easily killing cavalry units and gives her a much needed Atk boost against armor units.

Wing Sword ability to counter cavalry and armor units gives Caeda a pretty important niche.

— — — — — — — ◆Ogma◆ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 5/10
Ease of Use: 2.5/10
Player Phase Performance: 8.03/10 — 202:8:39
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 6.06/10
Player Phase Independence: 7.75/10 — 157:8:84
[+Spd, -Res, Wo Dao [Spd], Moonbow, Life and Death, Desperation, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0]
Enemy Phase Performance: 6.5/10 — 190:16:43
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 2.99/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 6.72/10 — 167:19:63
[+Spd, -Res, Wo Dao [Spd], Moonbow, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Speed +3, 4/0/0/4]

Support: 0/10
Other: 0/10

Rating: 4/10

Summary:

Ogma got extremely good combat performance and can operate quite independently from the team, so if a player does not have a bias against melee infantry units, Ogma will serve the player quite well.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caeda: 7.357
Ogma: 5.07

Catria, Middle Whitewing

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
35/39/42
28/31/34
31/34/37
25/29/32
22/25/29

Base Skills:

Killer Lance+
( - )
Luna

Armored Blow
Seal Atk
( - )

Est, Junior Whitewing

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
33/36/40
32/35/38
26/30/33
21/24/28
29/32/35

Base Skills:

Heavy Spear+
Shove
( - )

Defiant Res
Seal Spd
( - )

Catria - I think what Catria might want most, besides a personal weapon, would be a Wo Dao lance, and that exists now. Her natural Slaying Lance ought to suffice, however. A defense refinement on either lets her exceed Tana's Vidofnir enhanced defense. Catria's main asset is a competitively high speed stat, but she's slower than three other options now that Shigure exists. As a bulky generalist, she performs well enough as a frontliner on a mixed emblem team. Subaki competes for the same role but he's behind on six crucial points of attack. 4 out of 10. Some girls think they can cruise through life on good art alone.

Est - Miss Def Ploy herself. I also promoted mine when Def Ploy seal came out just to see how she's so much better than Cordelia as Tier List junkies claimed. Brave weapons have immensely fallen out of style, with much more people valuing Firesweep weapons and high speed stats. Est is true to her character. You can make her work with a modest amount of effort, but why with other already great pegs? I think Est is the only remaining lance flier that's eyeing the Brave Lance niche, and it still works. I rate her a 6 out of 10 for doing her best.

Edited by Glennstavos

Catria. She suffers from having midling stats across the board, while this grants her versatility it also limits her potential when compared to the many, many blue fliers that are available. She'll perform well enough if properly invested into but in terms of offense she'll fall short to the likes of Cordelia and Tana, defensively she'll lose to Subaki and Tana again. Plain and simple Tana outclasses Catria in whatever role she wishes to take which is a shame because Catria has a nice art (T&A pose aside). 

Rating: 3.5/10

Est DEF PLOY DEF PLOY DEF PLOY DEF PLOY. Est has a decent spread with high Atk and Res which lets her debuff enemies with ease and then take them out with a Brave Lance or Firesweep Lance. Sadly for her, the meta has turned towards bulky mixed defenses so she has a tougher time Ploying enemies if she doesn't run a weapon that can be refined and the introduction of Chill skills makes her niche worse, she can turn towards an enemy phase set with Berkut's Lance but she's outclassed by faster fliers like Clair in this regard. In any case, as long as you take her shortcomings into account and plan accordingly Est can still perform like the S-rank some tier lists claim she is.

Rating: 7/10

Edited by Alexmender

@The Priest I think it's Day 10.

Catria

• Fairly balanced, offense-oriented stat line with decent Spd, and middling Atk, Def, and Res.
    • She can run a Harmonic or Slaying Lance set on the player phase for solid red and blue matchups with Hone Fliers active. She can also use a Brave Lance set reasonably effectively, or a Firesweep set (sacrificing ORKOs but preventing enemy counterattacks).
  • Capable of using a Harmonic or Slaying Lance/Distant Counter set for good red matchups and decent blue matchups on the enemy phase, but faces trouble from Zelgius and Spd-stacked Ayra unless Guard is used.
  • As a flier, she can run a flier field or combat buff in her C slot.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (flier team assumed; solid matchups against red and blue foes on offense), and 1 for support (flier field/combat buff), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

Est

• Stat line with high Atk, decent Res, and mediocre Spd and Def.
    • Runs a Brave Lance/Lancebreaker set well on offense, with strong red matchups and good blue matchups when Hone Fliers is active. Has some trouble with blue dragons.
    • Decent red matchups and shaky blue matchups running a DC set. Takes a decent chunk of damage from physical foes, and loses to many enemies that focus on one-round special activations (including Ayra and Zelgius) without Guard.
  • As a flier, she can run a flier field or combat buff in her C slot. She has the Res to run ploys, and her own matchups benefit from using Def Ploy.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (flier team assumed; solid red and blue matchups with a Brave Lance set), and 1.5 for support (flier field/combat buff, ploys), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on. Units that are highly capable on both phases will be given a small bonus.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Catria: She’s pretty much just Shanna, except with a shoddier kit and swapped offenses/defenses. The position for flying lance is perhaps the most competitive among fliers, and Catria is probably at the lower end of the spectrum. She’s such a jack-of-all-trades that it really holds her back from accomplishing much that the likes of Cordelia, Tana, and Shigure can. 5/10

Est: Who would’ve thought that Est would eventually be the best of her three sisters? Truth be told though, it’s not too much of an accomplishment when they’re both mediocre at best. Est boasts impressive strength and resistance, the latter which allows her to abuse ploys. She’s let down by her defense and especially disappointing speed, which hurts her matchups against melee foes. It doesn’t help that her base kit is absolutely worthless and needs to built from the ground up to be optimal. Despite this, if properly set up, she’s pretty competent and remains a better than average flier. 6.5/10

I did some more minor tweaking to the criteria and formulas.

Spoiler

Mobility:
Armor units are 0/10. Infantry units are 5/10. Cavalry units are 8/10. Flying units are 9/10. Units with unique mobility skills will bump up their score.
Range:
Melee units are 0/10. Distant Counter Weapon melee units are 5/10. Ranged units are 10/10.
This is based on the W:L:I ratio. Enemies will have a set up of +5, +Spd, Moonbow, and Fury. The unit will be +0, may not use Breakers, and will not have Chills or Ploys activate. Units may have access to buffs (usually, +4 to any two stats for infantry and armors, and 6/6/0/0 or 0/0/6/6 for cavalry and fliers). I would also list the build used to achieve that ratio. I think the following formula is pretty reasonable:
Since most units can get a raw performance score of at least 5, setting 5 as 0 for the weighted performance makes more sense in judging how good a unit is.
This just means how reliant the unit is on buffs. If I take off the buffs and the unit still performs pretty well, they will get a good score. Independence will be based on the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase raw performance. The formula is this:
See Above.
See Above.
See Above.
Ease of Use:
Performance:
This consolidates the weighted performance and independence scores into one score, and uses the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase. This also means that the build used in weighted performance may not necessarily be their best build, since there may be an alternative build with a slightly worse performance but have much higher independence.
(Weighted Performance * 0.8) + (Independence * 0.2) = Performance
Support:
Most units by default will be 0/10. Units with 30+ Res start from 1/10. Healers start from 2/10. Buffers start from 3/10. Fliers start from 4/10. Dancers/Singers start from 5/10. Other unique support skills may further boost their score.
Other:
If the unit has some unique application or fun build, it will be noted here. For example, since Raven mages have a performance penalty, they will get some extra points here for being relevant and viable in certain team compositions.

Familiarity/Experience:
This just means how familiar I am with this particular unit or type of unit in Arena. If it is a low number, that means you should take the following rating number with a grain of salt since I do not have much experience with this particular unit and/or type of unit.
Rating:
Ease of Use 4/10
Performance: 5/10
Other: If the unit got some unique application or fun build, they will get a boost to their rating.

Notes:
1. A unit's build in raw performance will not take into account a unit's support build, Raven build, or any other builds. Likewise, a unit's ease of use, support, and other criteria will not take into account the unit's raw performance build.
2. Since healers' Firesweep build [+Atk, Pain [Dazzling Staff], Attack +3, Wrathful Staff, Attack +3] requires the user to do two rounds of combat to measure how good it is, that overwhelmingly skews the combat results for healers, so I decided to tone down their performance by using Brazen Atk/Spd-Desperation and taking away 10 HP or 25% of max HP, which ever is greater.
3. The build used in raw/weighted performance may not be the best build. If there is an alternative build with a slightly less performance but much higher independence, that build will be used instead.

Disclosures:
I have a strong bias for non-armor Player Phase ranged units. My experience with melee and armor units in Arena is pretty minimal, so my rating for them is mostly based on theory. My Arena core consists of BH!Lyn, Reinhardt, and Olivia. I am usually in Tier 20, but I may drop to Tier 19 if I do not fish for points.

Other:

Spoiler

Template

Performance: /10

Summary:

— — — — — — — ◾Catria◾ — — — — — — —

Player Phase Raw Performance: 7.94/10 — 202:17:30
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 5.88/10
Player Phase Independence: 6.56/10 — 134:17:98
[+Spd, -Res, Harmonic Lance [Spd], Moonbow, Life and Death, Desperation, Speed +3, 6/6/0/0]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: 7.85/10 — 198:10:41
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 5.7/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 7.1/10 — 145:25:79
[+Spd, -Res, Harmonic Lance [Spd], Moonbow, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Iote's Shield, 6/6/0/0]

Performance: 6.02/10
Support: 4/10
Other: 5/10

Summary:

Catria got extremely good combat performance and is not particularly expensive to build either.

She can also run Firesweep Lance, and although that is not as good as Firesweep Bow, it is still pretty useful.

— — — — — — — ◾Est◾ — — — — — — —

Player Phase Raw Performance: 8.09/10 — 209:30:10
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 6.18/10
Player Phase Independence: 8.3/10 — 181:55:13
[+Atk, -Res, Brave Lance, Moonbow, Death Blow, Guard, Quickened Pulse, 6/6/0/0]
Enemy Phase Raw Performance: 7.42/10 — 192:29:28
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 4.84/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 4.38/10 — 108:108:33
[+Spd, -Res, Harmonic Lance [Spd], Moonbow, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Iote's Shield, 6/6/0/0]

Performance: 6.61/10
Support: 5/10

Familiarity/Experience: 3/10

Summary:

Like Catria, Est got extremely good combat performance. Est is also a slightly better support unit due to her higher Res so she can run Ploys.

Again, like Catria, she can also run Firesweep Lance, and although that is not as good as Firesweep Bow, it is still pretty useful.

Edited by XRay

Catria: 

2 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Catria: She’s pretty much just Shanna, except with a shoddier kit and swapped offenses/defenses. The position for flying lance is perhaps the most competitive among fliers, and Catria is probably at the lower end of the spectrum. She’s such a jack-of-all-trades that it really holds her back from accomplishing much that the likes of Cordelia, Tana, and Shigure can. 5/10

This is what I basically have to say, although I'd give Catria a 6/10.

Est: Est is a unit I actually really like. Who knew she'd be the best Whitewing sister in Heroes? She has great attack and resistance stats, although her speed isn't that great, which is a shame. Regardless, give her a good weapon and some new skills and she'll be able to perform quite well. As others have mentioned, she's great for running ploy skills. She may not be quite at the level of Tana, but honestly, she's still pretty darn good! 8/10

Catria is SO GREAT. It might be bias since she's one of the few units (along with Nino and Raven) that I've spent serious time building. But her speed gets really high, give her Desperation and she can really rule the skies. Since Iote's Shield is a Sacred Seal, that really helps fliers a lot lately. I have Tana as well, and while she has utility and is great, for me, Catria is one of the best fliers I have in terms of combat ability. She can go toe-to-toe with a lot of enemies and come out on top. Give her some support from Marth, PA Azura, and Flier buffs and she can tear through enemies. I love her. She's great. I wish more people used her (and I wish I could summon more extras so she could be a +10 for me). One of my favorite Heroes I have, and one of my standbys. 8/10

Est: Haven't built her, surprised to see her get so much love from those above. I just don't like her art, she looks younger than she does in the games she's from (especially her recent appearance in Shadows of Valentia), and she doesn't have any built-in skills of interest, so I don't care to build her. Nice to see she can be great, though. No rating for her from me since I really can't. 

Catria: 5.71
Est: 6.83

Aaaand we're making quite a jump to Elibe. IS, get some more regular Greens in there.

Sheena

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
42/45/48
26/30/33
22/25/29
33/36/39
30/33/36

Base Skills:

Killer Axe+
( - )
Escutcheon

Svalinn Shield
( - )
Fortify Armor

Cecilia

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
33/36/40
29/32/35
22/25/29
19/22/25
25/29/32

Base Skills:

Gronnraven+
Rally Resistance
( - )

Attack+
Escape Route
( - )

Edited by The Priest

Sheena - In this rating system, an armor unit that can reach max merges isn't going anywhere except upper mid to high tier. Sheena got a considerable boost from the weapon refinery and vengeful fighter skills. Her direct competition as a mixed tank among axe armors comes only from seasonal units. If we consider them, then Sheena is beaten by all three in the role in some respect. My experience using Sheena is a bit unique due to my Atk superbane, but even if she did have more than 26 base attack, she would still rely on those skill procs for meaningful damage. 6.5 out of 10. I'm sure Sheena is a regular fixture in a lot of armor teams due to her being the only non-5 star locked green armor out of eight, but all seven of the others impress me more even if I own almost none of them.

Cecilia - Basically can't perform well outside of a cav team due to her poor offensive spread. She works as your resident Brave Lyn and Reinhardt counter but her offensive potential is starkly low compared to other green tome options. Even Merric outperforms Cecilia thanks to access to Dark Excalibur. She's easily the worst of the cav tomes as well with only a tiny bit more mixed bulk to show for it. Useable for F2P, but far from ideal. 3.5 out of 10.

Past ratings

Spoiler
  1. Aflonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecila - 4

Ratings I would change in retrospect: I'd drop Gordin at least a full point. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Sheena: Back in the early days armors were either powerful with pathetic speed (Effie/Zelgius) or had high bulk with average attack. Sheena is the latter. Her over bulk, both to physical and magic damage, is pretty damn impressive. Even her speed, while potentially problematic, is fairly negligible due to the fighter skills that exist. Only her attack is particularly glaring, so this makes her pretty special reliant. While I would have written off Sheena as meh a year from now, the game as it is has been pretty kind to her, and I today have fallen to the likes of her at times. 8/10

Cecilia: Unlike Sheena, the algorithm has gotten progressively worse for the Etrurian General. Not only has the Arena been giving calvary the middle finger with trenches and unfavorable map design, but she’s no longer a one of a kind with Gunnthrá, Olwen, and even her own student giving her competition. Out the four she’s arguably the worst, but she works well enough as a defensive unit with her native raven tome. The days of her trying to abuse blade tomes are now rather obsolete, especially with ploys running rampant. As for the stats, they range from merely decent to lousy, though this can be remedied with calvary buffs. She’s still someone who I consider to be at least “good”, and with the other three green tome calvary being considerably more difficult to obtain, much less +10 merge, she at least has that going for her. 7/10

Edited by SilvertheShadow

Sheena, the mixed wall of Gra. As an armor unit she has access to the ever ridiculous Bold Fighter and Vengeful Fighter so that puts her very high in the scoring scale. Sheena herself suffers from mediocre Atk but compensates with a very powerful mixed bulk that lets her survive two or three rounds against even red units. Sheena's main source of damage are specials which means that skills like Guard can make her life pretty hard. If you need a very sturdy wall Sheena will serve you well, sadly she faces strong competition from the likes of M!Grima and W!Lissa with the latter being a straight upgrade to Sheena but harder to merge. 

Rating: 8.5/10.

Cecilia. Being a mage cav is tough in these times with all the anti-horse measures IS has created in the past few months and also the lack of BST increase. Cecilia herself has a pretty nice Atk and Res stats but is mediocre everywhere else. She can run a defensive set with her native Gronnraven or go for a more offensive role with Gronnblade if she recieves cav buffs. Sadly the former build has less use considering the archer shift towards Firesweep+CA instead of Brave Bow+ and the latter build is outclassed by the recent Olwen alt that's been released and also the seasonal LA!Lilina. Cecilia has seen better times when she was the only green mage cav in the game, if you invest into her she'll put in a lot of work but one can't deny that her main perk now is availability instead on uniqueness.

Rating: 6.5/10

Sheena: Outside of a select few, I really don't use armored units very often, their mobility is just painful. But, with that said, I realize that many armored units are actually pretty good. And that's what I'd say about Sheena, she's "pretty good." She's a little outdone by Amelia, and a LOT outdone by Hector. But she's much easier to invest in! 6/10

Cecilia: Before I got Dorcas, before I got Brave Lyn, before I got Julia, before I even got Nino, Cecilia was my resident green AND calvary unit. She always served me well and she truly can function how you want her to. She just has not-so-good attack. But, the only character in the permanent pool who can really compare to her is green Olwen. 6/10

Sheena
Getting this out of the way now: the combat rating I gave to Draug previously was a mistake. I should have given him an 8.5, but it’s too late to change it now, so oh well.

• Defense-heavy stat line, with good Def and Res, low Atk, and poor Spd.
    • Very strong blue and green matchups with an Atk-stacking offense set using Slaying Axe+ (Def)/Bonfire/Bold Fighter. Hone Armor helps, but is mostly only useful for breaking Wary Fighter on slow enemy armors. Hurt a little by Guard in green matchups, since she relies on her special to make up for her low Atk.
    • Strong enemy phase matchups on defense using DC/Vengeful Fighter (pure EP) or DC/Bold Fighter/QR Seal (mixed phase). Has the defensive stat line to absorb hits well.
  • As an armor, she can run an armor field or combat buff in her C slot. She has the Res to run ploys.

Overall, I give her 9 for combat (Very strong green and blue matchups on either phase, and can take hits from both damage types well*), and 1.5 for support (armor field/combat buff, Ploy capability), for a total rating of 8.5/10.

Cecilia

• Her stat line features middling Atk, decent Res, and low Spd and Def.
    • Strong performance against blue and green foes with Gronnblade and full Cavalry buffs. Performance against blues drops off a little with only Hone Cavalry. Performance against greens drops off significantly with only Hone Cavalry.
    • Good blue and decent green matchups with a defensive CC/Vantage with full Cavalry buffs.
  • As a cavalry unit, she can run a cavalry field or combat buff in her C slot.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (cavalry team assumed; strong blue and green matchups with a Gronnblade set), and 1 for support (cavalry field/combat buff), for a total rating of 7.5/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on. Units that are highly capable on both phases will be given a small bonus.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid

23 hours ago, The Priest said:

IS, get some more regular Greens in there.

What if we run out of greens? Would it just be red > blue > colorless > red then?

— — — — — — —

Spoiler

Mobility:
Range:
See Above.
See Above.
See Above.
Ease of Use:
Performance:
This consolidates the weighted performance and independence scores into one score, and uses the higher of Player Phase or Enemy Phase. This also means that the build used in weighted performance may not necessarily be their best build, since there may be an alternative build with a slightly worse performance but have much higher independence.
Support:
Other:

Familiarity/Experience:
This just means how familiar I am with this particular unit or type of unit in Arena. If it is a low number, that means you should take the following rating number with a grain of salt since I do not have much experience with this particular unit and/or type of unit.
Rating:
Ease of Use 4/10

Notes:
3. The build used in raw/weighted performance may not be the best build. If there is an alternative build with a slightly less performance but much higher independence, that build will be used instead.

Disclosures:

Other:

Spoiler

Template

Summary:

— — — — — — — ⬟Sheena⬟ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 0/10
Player Phase Performance: 9.17/10 — 231:11:7
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 8.33/10
Player Phase Independence: 8.94/10 — 211:28:10
[+Atk, -Spd, Slaying Axe [Atk], Ignis, Death Blow, Bold Fighter, Quickened Pulse, 4/0/4/0]
Enemy Phase Performance: 7.45/10 — 194:34:21
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 4.9/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 8.56/10 — 173:57:19
[+Atk, -Spd, Giant Spoon [Def], Ignis, Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter, Close Def, 0/0/4/4]

Ease of Use: 0/10
Performance: 8.45/10

Familiarity/Experience: 5/10
Rating: 4.5/10

Summary:

Like all armor units, Sheena got stellar combat performance due to Bold Fighter.

She can also run some Ploys to help support her team with her high Res.

— — — — — — — ⬟Cecilia⬟ — — — — — — —

Mobility: 8/10
Range: 10/10
Player Phase Performance: 5.47/10 — 145:35:69
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 0.94/10
Player Phase Independence: 0/10 — 7:86:156
[+Spd, -Res, Gronnblade, Moonbow, Life and Death, Desperation, Attack +3, 6/6/0/0]
Enemy Phase Performance: 4.72/10 — 134:66:49
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 0/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 2.91/10 — 67:131:51
[+Spd, -Def, Gronnowl [Spd][1 Ally], Moonbow, Close Counter, Quick Riposte, Speed +3, 6/6/0/0]

Ease of Use: 9/10
Performance: 0.76/10
Support: 0/10

Familiarity/Experience: 10/10

Summary:

Huh... Well, that is interesting. This is the first time that I am going to disagree with the score my formulas give. I think will just stick with 4.5 because I do not how much higher I should boost her score by either.

Anyways, yeah, Cecilia is not that great outside of a cavalry team. She can run a Raven build pretty decently, but she does not have much else going for her though.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

What if we run out of greens?

We're definitely going to. For example, we're discussing Olwen (Righteous Knight) and Robin (Fell Reincarnation) in the same cycle as Selena (Cutting Wit) and Leo (Sorcerous Prince), if I've done my forecasts right.

Skipping colors is my guess. Unless we're going to start mixing in seasonals, GHBs, & such...but I think it would make more sense to keep them separate, myself.

11 hours ago, XRay said:

What if we run out of greens? Would it just be red > blue > colorless > red then?

Yes.
Considering how oversaturated Red is we're going to even have Red-only rounds at some point if we stick to the regular pool.

... on the flipside Green is likely going to be color that will dominate Event-related Heroes.

Sheena: 7.50
Cecilia: 5.83

Clarine, Refined Noble

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
32/35/39
22/25/29
30/33/36
19/22/25
25/29/32

Base Skills:

Fear+
Martyr+
Swift-Winds Balm

Resistance+
( - )
( - )

Matthew, Faithful Spy

Spoiler

Max. Stats
38/41/44
22/25/29
31/34/37
27/30/33
14/18/21

Base Skills:

Rogue Dagger+
Reciprocal Aid
( - )

( - )
Poison Strike
Hone Spd

Edited by The Priest

Clarine

• Magically bulky stat line with middling Spd, decent Res and Def (for her class), and low Atk.
    • Poor matchups on both phases, but cannot be counterattacked on the player phase. Cavalry buffs help her combat performance somewhat.
  • Powerful support options through healing, status infliction (depending on her chosen weapon), and some ploy capability.

Overall, I give her 4 for combat (some combat capability against enemies with low-mid Spd and poor Res, and cannot be counterattacked on the player phase), and 3 for support (healing, status, ploys), for a total rating of 4.5/10.

Matthew

• Fast, physically bulky stat line with decent Spd, Def, and HP, and poor Atk and Res.
    • Mediocre matchups on both phases. He has the Spd to act as a Wind/Watersweep buff/debuff set. He also has a passable Barb Shuriken/Bonfire/Close Counter defense set, but has trouble with mages, dragons, and units that focus on one-round special activations.
  • Capable of providing buff/debuff support with his dagger, and basic field/combat buff support through his C passive.

Overall, I give him 4 for combat (ok but not great overall matchups), and 1 for support (buff and/or debuff support, basic field/combat buff), for a total rating of 4/10.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

All my ratings.

Clarine - Horse?  Check.  Worst of the horse-mounted staffbots?  Sort of.  Horse buffs give her some sort of viable offense, though I'd rather stick Pain+ in her hands, so she can do damage.  She has the highest defense of the mounted staffbots. . .but that's not exactly something to brag about.  She's the second-fastest of them all, but she's still in danger of being doubled by faster units, and outright one-shot by certain others (like a wounded Ares who isn't -Atk).  Decent utility, but doesn't want to use her stats if she can help it.  4/10

Matthew - A certain someone made him very hard to kill.  Matthew can take quite the beating, and spit fire in return.  He's a bit faster than Clarine, but far less likely to die to random things.  As a utility unit, he'll make nearby allies tanky, while sapping the defenses of whoever wandered up to him.  With a proper support unit, he can cause quite a bit of mayhem.  In one-on-one combat, he'll have to annoy the enemy to death.  4/10

Clarine. Being a mounted healer puts her above the others for her mobility alone. That being said she has a terrible Atk stat and while Cavalry buffs help mitigate that she'll fare better with the tried and true Dazzling Pain+ instead of trying for a set with Wrathful staff/refine. Her low Atk also means that outside of Rehabilitate she won't be healing for much so that puts her support abilities in a low-ish spot, still she has pretty good bulk thanks to her Spd/Def/Res so she'll be able to tank at least 1 round of combat with a Fortify Cav buff.

Rating: 5/10

Matthew. He has the potential to be one of the most annoying units in the game thanks to his pretty high Def and Spd (how did he become this from the glass cannon he was in FE7? Only IS knows). He works better as a sort of wall that debuffs the enemy while buffing himself but that makes him sort of a one trick pony. He'll be toast if a mage touches him and he also faces competition in his role from Saizo who sports a higher Atk stat. Sadly daggers tend to be overlooked because arena is full of WoM dancers who would be glad to show you why slowly chipping Hp is a bad idea instead of going for the OHKO/ORKO, this is what hurts every dagger user that isn't a canon but in PvE they can shine better than archers.

Edited by Alexmender

I haven't had that chance to post here, but It's Matthew day so how can I not?

Clarine: While she's the speediest and physically bulkiest of the mounted healers, it's not by much. Her low ATK also hurts her healing ability, still she can run a standard Pain+ build and with horse buffs be a general well... "pain" to deal with. Being a mounted healer also gives her the merit of being able to run the Gravity > Reposition combo on cav teams which is extremely oppressive. Her spread ultimately is nothing special but due to her class by nature she's got plenty of tools to make her a scourge. For all intents and purposes though, she's the worst mounted healer. 

6/10.

Matthew: Regarded as one of the single worst units in the game and perhaps the worst unit of the perceived worst class in the game but that couldn't be further from the truth. Matthew packs a spread of great SPD and DEF with high HP, but pitiful ATK and RES. An ATK superboon helps this somewhat however. Matthew has the virtue of being the only competent mixed tank dagger unit in the game currently. There are dagger specialists that are superior to him in every field, offense (Sothe, Kagero, etc) physical tanking (Saizo), magical tanking (Felicia, ToD!Sakura), and chipping (Jaffar). But he can fill any role relatively well and with great versatility as a colorless tank and lacks a glaring weakness like they do, even being able to tank magic to an extent depending on his build. 

He's limited in the scope of arena because he's generally counter KO'ed by dragons, can only survive a single round of combat against most mages and can even be killed by QR special proc tanks and generally Distant Counter units with high ATK and SPD that can shut him down before he gets his debuffs going. Depending on his build (Wind/Watersweep, etc) he can choose to shut down one or two of these threats, but at the cost of crippling him against the others.

Ultimately he's a unit that shines bright in PvE, but in Arena his use is situational and depending on the enemy team composition he can solo the entire team or have no role to play at all. Far from one of the worst units in the game, but one that requires a decent amount of investment. I'd love to give him a higher score, but I simply can't. He's good at most things, but if you want a dagger specialist, there's a better choice for just about every field. And in Arena, Firesweep Archers and Razzle Dazzle healers will serve you much better.

5.5/10

Edited by Zeo

Clarine: She's speedy and boasts better than average resistance. Everything else is pretty poor. She's thus relegated to be strictly support, effectively healing your team as well as harassing the enemy with debuffs and AOE damage. What stinks for Clarine is that with her attack being as poor as it is, even with cavalry buffs hero offensive ceiling is disappointing. The fact she is a healer also means her builds will be fairly inflexible. I guess for being strictly a healer and ship damage she's not terrible, but she doesn't bring much else to the table. 5/10

Matthew: Oh boy. Matthew sure is... interesting. His stats relegate him to being a speedy physical tank, and that helps him prevent some doubles as well as taking a beating fairly well. However, his attack makes Sakura look like a juggernaut in comparison, and his resistance is just terrible. It's generally a lose-lose for Matthew; he can't approach knights or even infantry (especially with DC) without getting bodied, and even with some mages' notoriously low defense he'll likely fail to get the kill and will die on the counterattack. I suppose he could make use of CC, but there's better users for that skill elsewhere, as well as dagger users in general. 3/10

WIP

I just realized my support criterion does not include daggers in it. I now gave dagger units a support score that starts from 1/10 since they cannot always debuff enemies safely if the enemies can attack from range or got Distant Counter.

Spoiler

Mobility:
Range:
See Above.
See Above.
See Above.
Ease of Use:
Performance:
Support:
Most units by default will be 0/10. Units with 30+ Res start from 1/10. Dagger units start from 1/10. Healers start from 2/10. Buffers start from 3/10. Fliers start from 4/10. Dancers/Singers start from 5/10. Other unique support skills may further boost their score.
Other:

Familiarity/Experience:
Rating:
Ease of Use 4/10

Notes:
4. Axe and dagger versions of Wo Dao are not available in the regular summoning pool yet, but I think they will be added in the future, so I am using Giant Spoon and Lethal Carrot.

Disclosures:

Other:

Spoiler

Template

Summary:

— — — — — — — ●Clarine● — — — — — — —

Mobility: 8/10
Player Phase Performance: 5.83/10 — 155:39:55
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 1.67/10
Player Phase Independence: 0.71/10 — 29:75:145
[+Atk, -Res, Slow [Wrathful Staff], Brazen Atk/Spd, Desperation, Speed +3, 6/6/0/0]

Ease of Use: 9/10
Performance: 1.47/10
Support: 2/10
Other: 10/10

Familiarity/Experience: 3/10
Rating: 5.5/10

Summary:

Unless you plan to give Clarine a Firesweep build, she is not going to be a fantastic combat unit.

— — — — — — — ●Matthew● — — — — — — —

Mobility: 5/10
Player Phase Performance: 4.31/10 — 110:10:129
Player Phase Weighted Performance: 0/10
Player Phase Independence: 1.53/10 — 42:16:191
[+Atk, -Res, Poison Dagger, Moonbow, Life and Death, Desperation, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0]

Enemy Phase Performance: 3.7/10 — 95:11:143
Enemy Phase Weighted Performance: 0/10
Enemy Phase Independence: 5.85/10 — 58:16:175
[+Spd, -Res, Lethal Carrot [Spd], Moonbow, Close Counter, Quick Riposte, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0]

Ease of Use: 7.5/10
Performance: 1.17/10

Rating: 3.5/10

Summary:

Matthew got poor combat performance. He can support his team with debuffs, but he has trouble doing that if enemies can counterattack.

Edited by XRay