Corrin's dragon form?

I get why they can transform

Spoiler

He/she has anankos's blood

But when Corrin transforms or uses dragon fang, why does it look like their clothes merge into the skin of the dragon form? Are the clothes like dragon skin or something?

and how exactly does Corrin form a mouth to shoot that ball of water when using dragon fang from their hand. Their dragon form doesn't even look like it has a mouth. 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

I think it was just for the sake of design choice. In the Hot Springs (is that the right name? I forgot), Corrin goes in with just his boxers, so the Dragon Skin Armor he's got are just clothes, I assume. Other Manaketes/Dragons in the series don't transform into a dragon with ripped Hulk clothes, and when they revert back, they still have their (intact) clothes. Maybe it's dragonstone magic or something.

To answer the second question, Myrrh goes around with her dragon wings sticking out, so I would guess Corrin could do the same. Again, it boils down to character design choices.

Edited by indigospace

Y'know I've always wondered this myself, it's weird and doesn't make sense. I kinda just told myself that his armor is a special dragon armor that Garon must of given him. Since he does know who Corrin actually is... This thought helps me sleep at night XD

9 minutes ago, Black Zero said:

Y'know I've always wondered this myself, it's weird and doesn't make sense. I kinda just told myself that his armor is a special dragon armor that Garon must of given him. Since he does know who Corrin actually is... This thought helps me sleep at night XD

yet he can't get dragonskin

but why would garon purposely give him armor that would stretch and give him skin or something in dragon form.

im also forgetting about the fact that when using dragon fang they basically turn their arm into a very long pike 

22 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

but why would garon purposely give him armor that would stretch and give him skin or something in dragon form.

im also forgetting about the fact that when using dragon fang they basically turn their arm into a very long pike 

My best guess is that unlike Nah, Corrin is half of one of the most powerful Dragons in the franchise's lore. So Corrin may subconsciously be able to better manipulate their body based on their thoughts and emotional state. If you remember, this is first done against Hans after he pushed Gunter off of the bridge across the bottomless canyon.

Why the clothes/armour changes to accomodate seems to me like it's just the dragonstone warping them to accomodate the bodily change.

My best guesses anyway.

That dragon is weird anyway...have you seen its toes? 

I'll chalk it up to character design and video game logic. But on that note...what happens to all the shapeshifters' clothes, and on laguz, what decides what stays on and what disappears? Like Lethe's ribbon collar. Why doesn't Ranulf keep his awesome hat shifted?

It's so confusing, and it's why I went from designing laguz OCs with accessories in their animal forms, to saying all laguz don't wear anything shifted despite the games showing otherwise in some cases.

Oh and take it from me: Do not try to make headcanons about the biology of shapeshifters and how exactly they shift. It will end up being mediocre at best and still not making complete sense.

8 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

My best guess is that unlike Nah, Corrin is half of one of the most powerful Dragons in the franchise's lore. So Corrin may subconsciously be able to better manipulate their body based on their thoughts and emotional state. If you remember, this is first done against Hans after he pushed Gunter off of the bridge across the bottomless canyon.

Why the clothes/armour changes to accomodate seems to me like it's just the dragonstone warping them to accomodate the bodily change.

My best guesses anyway.

Alright I guess that could make sense.

still wish I could get dragonskin

This is one of those things I prefer to just not think about too much. It looks cool, and I believe that's really all that mattered to the people who designed the animation to be the way it is.

50 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I never really went into the whys of this thought haha. I like @Light Strategist's answer much better though. 

Corrin is just really weird compared to other dragons of the series.

Short answer: Good ol' Shapeshifter magic.

Long answer: Who knows, but to humor this question,

Spoiler

I was wondering about the clothes, too, myself, but if they're supposed to have been tailor made to change with their transformation, then somebody would have to have known about them having Anankos' blood running through them.

The only people who come to mind are:
Azura, but she was kidnapped too, and despite her powers to weave all these plot knots, I highly doubt she was a seamstress at the age of, like, 8.
Garon, but he's been a slime monster for who knows how long, and even then I'm not sure if actual Garon know about Corrin's dragon blood.
Arete and Mikoto. Mikoto was Corrin's mother so she feels most likely, but there is decided Nohrian influence in the outfit so it could have been Arete's work. She has been shown to be quite proficient in magic. Perhaps she imbued it with the magic that allows Corrin's clothes, and evidently, hands, to defy nearly every given law of physics. Buuuut, I'm still going to say it's probably the former.

I assume it is just a design choice. Maybe IS thought it would be a nice detail if the dragon form looked similar to the armor.

For the dragon fang animation, I think it was implied in the Hidden Truths DLC that Silent Dragons could easily change forms or something. 

Spoiler

Lilith is technically a Silent Dragon too and at the end of the DLC, she said that she would travel to the Astral Dragon realm to assume an Astral Dragon form so I guess Silent Dragons can change forms and possibly their body parts.

It would also explain why Corrin and Anankos look quite different in their dragon forms.

Though I quite doubt that IS gave a lot of thought about this.

Honestly the Fates lore trips over itself so much that it's hard to get anywhere without falling into plotholes or some sort of poorly explained thing like this.

Although, while Corrin isn't really a Manakete (as Manakete's are dragons that repress their powers and take on a human form to avoid degeneration, Corrin seems more like to me that that's just the way they are: a half-and-half deal where they can easily take on the form of a human and a dragon with comparatively little repercussions, seeing as they could accesses a good chunk of their powers without suffering for it - heck, in Warriors, Tiki even points how different she and Corrin are in their support), both Corrin and the more traditional Manaketes seem to be able to shift clothes without problem.  Swords too, can be shifted into, like Yato, and objects that are canonically kept with the characters at all times (Nowi's wedding ring given to Nah, for example), so it seems like non-sentient matter, or perhaps, what a dragon/manakete considers to be a "part of them" gets shifted into them?  That's one theory anyway - as long as the shifter subconsciously considers something to be a "part" of them, the magic of the stones allow them to also become a part of the fully shifted form (swords and weapons being an extension of themselves, and clothes since, and I can't say this with too much confidence, because I'm no mindreader, but I think at least most people don't think about them as immediately separate until they're made like, aware of it?  Like your clothes getting wet, torn, itchy, someone pulls on your sleeve etc...Basically I'm just saying that I don't think most people are like, hyper aware of the fact they are wearing clothes the way they are that they are holding something).  This also explains Taguel, since Panne and Yarne can shift, but their clothes don't get merged into them - in fact, it looks like their clothes were MADE to be shifted into; can't say this with any certainty, since this is diving into headcanon territory, but this could be because Taguel, a more bestial race, don't consider clothes to be a "part" of them the way humans or dragons seem to.  Maybe this is why Corrin doesn't wear shoes too

Where do the clothes/weapons/other objects go then?  Again, super headcanon-y, but I think that maybe, since it seems to be some sort of magic that allows Corrin to change between their forms safely, and for Manakete's to release their draconic forms, that said magic turns their clothes and such into, like, slightly thicker scales than usual?  Like, if the magic can convert skin into scales, fingers into claws, and straight up cause the user to sprout wings seemingly from nothing, why couldn't do the same for clothes or swords?  I mean, at least in the case of clothes, it's still a semi-organic origin and all, so I don't see why it wouldn't work?  Just turn the clothes into like, slightly longer claws than you would have if you shifted idk naked, or into slightly more membrane on your wings, etc.

Idk I guess this whole thing is more of an extension of what @Light Strategist said more than anything else, but I think it makes at least a little bit more sense than just "clothes and sword and anything the dragon was holding just vanishes into the ether".

Edited by Soleater

Corrin's armor was probably designed out-of-universe to resemble their dragon form for aesthetic reasons and so the partial transformations would look better.

In-universe the similarity between Corrin's armor and dragon form is just a coincidence. If Corrin was wearing anything else then those clothes would "melt" into the dragon form while transforming, just as with every other Manakete and non-Taguel shapeshifter in the series.

Edited by Lightchao42

Since people already bombarded this with the actual "from the developer's point of view" answer that I'd have given, I'll talk lorewise.

I'd say that maybe there's more of Corrin's kind of dragons probably somewhere far out there in the deeprealms that were killed at some point, and a certain someone fashioned a few suits of armor out of their hides for a certain son or daughter.  Either that, or that certain someone simply modeled the armor after that dragon form.  I really don't think it actually morphs to fit Corrin's dragon form because if it did, then the dragon form would be noticeably whiter/blacker after Corrin promoted.

I would go with the latter explanation, because Corrin wearing a suit of armor made out of his/her own species would be too morbid for IS, I think.

8 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Since people already bombarded this with the actual "from the developer's point of view" answer that I'd have given, I'll talk lorewise.

I'd say that maybe there's more of Corrin's kind of dragons probably somewhere far out there in the deeprealms that were killed at some point, and a certain someone fashioned a few suits of armor out of their hides for a certain son or daughter.  Either that, or that certain someone simply modeled the armor after that dragon form.  I really don't think it actually morphs to fit Corrin's dragon form because if it did, then the dragon form would be noticeably whiter/blacker after Corrin promoted.

I would go with the latter explanation, because Corrin wearing a suit of armor made out of his/her own species would be too morbid for IS, I think.

Yeah but didn't Corrin spend most of their childhood in Nohr?  I.e. a place that probably wouldn't want him to find out about their dragon heritage?  (Garon mentioning that he only kidnapped Corrin to have them die in Hoshido with Ganglari) You could argue Mikoto or Anankos gave them those clothes, but wouldn't they be too small by the time Corrin could actually where them?

Also I'm not sure there are "kinds of dragons" in the traditional sense, since I'm 99% sure the Records Hall mentions only twelve dragons, and the rest were just humans that formed a blood pact with said dragons - Corrin is weird in their universe for being directly descended from Anankos.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, Soleater said:

Tiki even points how different she and Corrin are in their support), both Corrin and the more traditional Manaketes seem to be able to shift clothes without problem. 

As do the Laguz. Skip to 0:26 on this PoR video for a neat little clip of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyD6-iV7bU

Skipping to 2:45 of this RD clip to see some more of it, with less emphasis on the shifting of clothes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPc_G7KC-Ss

Either way, it is better than watch clothes be shed every time a shapeshifter shifts and then unshifting naked, or finding clothes that somehow work for the shifted and unshifted forms (so the Hulk's pants?).

On 5/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, Dragoncat said:

Why doesn't Ranulf keep his awesome hat shifted?

Looking at it, I'm not sure if he has enough forehead space for it to be practical when shifted, Lethe's collar stays out of the way, I assume it is loose enough to be able fully breathe, but not so much it'd slide around and be a nuisance in battle. The bandages on Tiger legs might be for protection.

I kinda wonder why the Beasts aren't nudists besides when interacting with Beorc, but they do like being practical, and clothes are. That and given we never get an intimate portrait and in-depth analysis of Gallian life, nudism might be more widely tolerated there than in Beorc society. But I'm the weird one for even thinking of this topic :XD:.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:16 AM, Soleater said:

Also I'm not sure there are "kinds of dragons" in the traditional sense, since I'm 99% sure the Records Hall mentions only twelve dragons

The same as Darna interestingly, but 12 is the number of months and zodiacs, so it makes sense that the number would coincidentally be popular. 

On 5/13/2018 at 11:10 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking at it, I'm not sure if he has enough forehead space for it to be practical when shifted, Lethe's collar stays out of the way, I assume it is loose enough to be able fully breathe, but not so much it'd slide around and be a nuisance in battle.

This might be true. And lol laguz nudists. There might even be a laguz kink...sex in animal form. But that would take some getting used to for the birds and dragons, given that the parts used for it wouldn't be mammalian shifted like they would with the beasts, and basic humans are mammals too so yeah. And bird and reptilian/dragon genitals tend to be way different than mammal ones.

I guess if a bird or dragon laguz enjoys that they'd be super kinky. But anyway, as we digress..

Edited by Dragoncat