Do you think a Zelda RPG could work?

I mean, we've had action adventure with most of the games , open world (kinda close to an RPG I guess) with BOTW, and hack and slash with hyrule warriors. We'd have many different characters for a unique and varied party, along with plenty of diversity in moves, items, specials, etc. as well as the fact that they could probably spin a decent story since Zelda game's stories have been pretty decent for the most part. Nintendo did make a Mario and Luigi RPG series (and the all coveted super Mario RPG) and it's done pretty well in its own right. So do you think a legend of Zelda RPG could work? I think it could work really well. 

I definitely could see an RPG happening, but the roster would be almost as big as some Final Fantasy games. Several important races needs reps, and enemy variety would have to be really dug into in order to not have it be Bokoblins and other standard shit. I would give this to IS or Game Freak, they have the Second Party chops to do it, or let Squeenix do it like they did for SMRPG.

Given that Zelda is pretty much going for the open-world thing (i believe Anouma confirmed that this would be the case going forward) and given that Monolith Soft has helped out with several Zelda games in the past (Skyward Sword, A Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild, whose open world has Monolith Soft written all over it), i can see an open-world Zelda RPG in the vein of Xenoblade.

It'd be very easy to turn a BotW-style Zelda into a full-on RPG and have it work. You'd need much, much, much greater enemy variety, but it'd work pretty well. 

A traditional, turn-based RPG's a different story. I'm sure they could make it work, but I don't how they'd go about it. 

I don’t know if a Zelda RPG would really need more enemy variety as normally enemies just tend to be recolors of beginning enemies.

My vote goes towards a turn-based game with an active time battle system in place.

Yes. If you take the Breath of the wilds world you can easily turn it into an rpg. Just make it take place before Garon rises and then you got all sorts of party members in the form of the champions. Mipha's the leader, Darunia the tank, Revali the squishy speedster and Urbosa a balanced fighter. 

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Wasn't Adventure of Link kind of an RPG?

But sure! I'd love to see it.

You leveled up and selected stats to increase. But everybody I know that tried to play that game like an RPG instead of an action game did not complete it lol. Retrying a dungeon is the quickest way to finishing it, not grinding exp.

I think people are hesitant to call BotW an RPG because there's no DING! leveling up in the game. But one hallmark of role playing games is deciding where you want to go, how you want to play, and how to approach the story and characters. In that regard, BotW is very RPG. You can free just one divine beast or none at all, the game is still completable. The only character you need to interact with is the Old Man in order to get his glider. Other seemingly large decisions include collecting the master sword, collecting memories, or taming a horse. You've also got a Bethesda style questlog, towns and stables that serve as quest hubs, and dialogue choices. Dialogue choices most often range from the binary affirmative and negative, but I'd chalk that up to Link just not being a talkative guy - as other characters acknowledge in-game.

Ooh, but you're tugging at my heartstrings by bringing up SMRPG and Mario & Luigi. I love turn based games with action commands. Plus they're clearly having trouble drumming up interest in Mario & Luigi games, or classic style paper mario, so doing a Paper Zelda game in the same style would turn some heads for sure.

I think a Legend of Zelda RPG would be very interesting but I wonder if it would be particularly good? I could see it being good if there were a bunch of characters, the items were different weapons and some like the bow and arrow, bombs, are used as attack items in battle. It would definitely be interesting at the very least.

4 minutes ago, Zera said:

@DisobeyedCargo Can you define "RPG"? Because the Zelda series has already toyed with nearly all standard RPG mechanics.

A game kinda like final fantasy, Xenoblade, Mario and Luigi, etc....

they turned a platforming series into a successful line of RPGs so I don't see why Zelda can't do it.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

If you want Zelda to become a turn-based RPG, what will make it better than the games you mentioned? What will make it unique?
Unique turn-based gameplay is very possible, like Clash of Heroes and Shiren the Wanderer, but the last Nintendo game with really good TB combat was Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, over a decade ago. Unless you count Mario + Rabbids, which was mostly developed by Ubisoft.

I wouldn't oppose a Zelda RPG. A combat system like Xenoblade could work well for it, especially if it's in a world as large as BOTW's was. It would give the player room to maneuver, or try something different when in close quarters, depending on where you are. 

5 hours ago, indigospace said:

I wouldn't oppose a Zelda RPG. A combat system like Xenoblade could work well for it, especially if it's in a world as large as BOTW's was. It would give the player room to maneuver, or try something different when in close quarters, depending on where you are. 

Please no. One of the biggest turn-offs I had with Xenoblade was the MMO-lite combat. Only one MMO has managed to make me care, and it's largely because it's pretty and jam-packed with fanservice(Final Fantasy XIV). Xenoblade as a dumbed down version of something like that is partly why the idea of trying to salvage my data from my bricked Wii was never appealing. 

A Zelda RPG should be its own thing. 

38 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Please no. One of the biggest turn-offs I had with Xenoblade was the MMO-lite combat. Only one MMO has managed to make me care, and it's largely because it's pretty and jam-packed with fanservice(Final Fantasy XIV). Xenoblade as a dumbed down version of something like that is partly why the idea of trying to salvage my data from my bricked Wii was never appealing. 

A Zelda RPG should be its own thing. 

Ah, shoot, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you about that. But since you mention a Zelda RPG being it's own thing, what kind of battle system would work for it?

1 hour ago, indigospace said:

Ah, shoot, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you about that. But since you mention a Zelda RPG being it's own thing, what kind of battle system would work for it?

I mean, the system they have in BotW would work fine, or something along the lines of Dragon's Dogma. Something with climbing and emphasis on a variety of actions. 

I do think it'd be better to be an action RPG to maintain the feeling of adventure and the iconic bosses. Turn based... I can't even really say. There's so many turn based RPGs out there that trying to nail one down as "Zelda" is very hard. 

12 minutes ago, Magical CC said:

If Zelda Musou works, anything will, even a FPS Zelda.

That exists, it's called Link's Crossbow Training. I mean, it's not an FPS but it's still a shooter.

On 03/05/2018 at 5:15 AM, Slumber said:

It'd be very easy to turn a BotW-style Zelda into a full-on RPG and have it work. You'd need much, much, much greater enemy variety, but it'd work pretty well. 

A traditional, turn-based RPG's a different story. I'm sure they could make it work, but I don't how they'd go about it. 

A traditional, turn based Zelda RPG. I'm reminded of the first Dragon Quest where you had one and only one character, and I magine a Zelda RPG like that, with obviously a more modern ans zelda touch.

Gotta say, that's sounds cool.

Not as cool as a Super Mario RPG-like Zelda though !

I'd once toyed with the notion of a Chrono Trigger-like JRPG reimagining of Majora's Mask. Since CT is traditional, but rather carefree in its narrative feel.

Three characters for most, if not all battles being the limit. Link is playable (with his full arsenal of weapons), and his partner are the Deku/Goron/Zora masks themselves, or rather the spirits inside them. Unlike Link, Darmani, Mikau, and the Deku Butler's Son (who gives his name or an alias for Link to call him by- Cedar?) are talkative people, although normally they stay invisible to non-Link people (when they aren't fused to Link), being dead and all. Nonetheless, their chatting fleshes them out a bit, they tell you about themselves and their world as you explore it (so Mikau could say "Evans, as chill as always" or maybe the DBS could make himself visible and confront his father for a moment after completing the Scent Mask pursuit). They would also interact with each other and Link, and the next two I mention.

In addition, you could optionally recruit Romani (a Bow and maybe a Whip) and Kafei (some sort of a weapon for him) as additional playable characters- both are about Young Link's physical age. A brand new character, ideally recruited early so Link and the DBS have a third member during the Southern Swamp events, perhaps with a connection later explored to Ikana, would also be up for consideration.

The non-transformation masks could be like accessories in other games in combat, offering stat modifications and skills and usable by anyone or at least Link, Romani, and Kafei.

The things working against this are predominantly the brevity of MM, although they could extend the overworld areas and turn the dungeons into real labyrinths. And of course, tick tock, you gotta reset the clock, does not do well with JRPGs.