Crossover Banners: Opinions and Ideas

Yexin

I don't think a topic like this already exists, but if that's the case, i'm sorry.

So, as the title says, i usually think about crossover banner: things like a limited Zelda banner or a limited Xenoblade banner.

Talking directly with my friends or with strangers on some discord channels, many dislike the idea (some also deeply hated it), claiming that it would ruin the whole game, since it's called "Fire Emblem", and not "Super Smash Bros." and that a huge lot of FEH players would abandon the game; very few liked it (some also proposed the idea of Fire Emblem characters with crossover costumes, for example Marth dressed up like Link or Ike dressed up like Zeke from Xeno2).

The fact is that no one can know for sure what such an idea would cause until the actually do it (and i honestly think they won't).

As far as i'm concerned, i'd love to see characters from different games in FEH (and i think i'd pay to get them): Link (Sword or (Colored) Bow), Zelda (Staff/Tome), Sheik (Dagger), Pit ((Colored) Bow), Shulk (Sword), Rex (Sword, maybe with Pyra at his side, just like GRobin does with the head of Grima), Zeke (Axe), Cloud (Sword), Àgnes (Staff/Various), Tiz (Dagger/Various), Ringabel (Tome/Various), Edea (Lance/Various) are just a few examples.

In my best scenario, they wouldn't replace "New Heroes" Banners nor anything, they would just be some extra, with a paralogue chapter, just like every other limited banner.

After all, i think they can afford it, thinking about all the money they made with Heroes.

So, my question for you all is:

Would you like or dislike the idea?

If you like it, why? Which crossover would you like to see? Would you prefer the characters themselves or FE characters dressed up like them?

If you don't like it, why? Do you think it's a terrible idea that would make many FEH players to abandon the game?

I'm really curious about your opinions!

Edited by Yexin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever this topic resurfaces (and it’s done so several times already), time and time again my opinion and answer is a stout and resounding no.

This game is Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem still has hundreds of characters not yet represented in this game. This game is not going to run out of characters to represent before they will have to make crossover events with other franchises. I personally play this game for Fire Emblem characters, and non-Fire Emblem characters would make me give up on this game indeed.

I am indifferent to it. I do not care if they do crossovers or not. I am okay with whatever Intelligent Systems does as long as it makes them the most profit possible in the long run and Fire Emblem is safe.

If they can make turn based strategy games mainstream, or at least semi mainstream, and Fire Emblem becomes the face of that genre, then I would be happy. I want Fire Emblem to have a secure future by being the representative of their genre, just like how StarCraft and Total War are the face of real time strategy games, and Grand Theft Auto and Elder Scrolls for nearly-seamless open world sandbox games. Once Fire Emblem becomes the turn base strategy game, then I would not have to worry about it slipping into oblivion like Advance Wars.

30 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Whenever this topic resurfaces (and it’s done so several times already), time and time again my opinion and answer is a stout and resounding no.

This game is Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem still has hundreds of characters not yet represented in this game. This game is not going to run out of characters to represent before they will have to make crossover events with other franchises. I personally play this game for Fire Emblem characters, and non-Fire Emblem characters would make me give up on this game indeed.

I carefully clarified that imo they would be an extra, the thing with the least priority.

After all, if you don't them, you could still ignore them, nobody would force you.

Edited by Yexin

Yeah this topic has been brought up millions of times. 

The only “crossovers” I’d be fine with is with characters from Warriors or the Cypher tcg, and both are unlikely due to licensing stuff. Otherwise, this is a Fire Emblem game meant for characters and nobody else. So no TMS characters as it’s sort of it’s own thing and not a true FE game, and god forbid no 3rd party characters whether they’re from Nintendo or not. I’d love it if FE had a crossover (especially with Pokémon), but there’s a time and place for that and it’s not in Heroes.

10 minutes ago, Yexin said:

I carefully clarified that imo they would be an extra, the thing with the least priority.

After all, if you don't them, you could still ignore them, nobody would force you.

The biggest issue with crossover banners is not that they take the spot of something else on the release schedule, but that they take the spot of something else in terms of development staffing and cost. Resources such as artists, voice talent, and programmers end up being used on them instead of on Fire Emblem characters.

4 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

So no TMS characters as it’s sort of it’s own thing and not a true FE game,

I don't think TMS is any less a Fire Emblem game as Warriors or Cipher is, though. Warriors, for example, shares little with the main games other than its characters, classes, weapons, etc. Even the grid-based map is only a user-interface tool that makes issuing of commands easier (most of the time).

Kid Icarus banner!

Pit: colorless bow, can attack from close range as a reference to his bow able to turn into blades. Definitely not a flying unit. 

Palutena: Blue healer, flying unit.

Viridi: Green mage

Hades: Pretty much like male Grima but much funnier. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I think it's a nice concept and i wouldn't mind having either FE characters dressed up as someone else or actually having the crossover characters. I never really got the reasoning for the strong dislike for the idea. As long as it doesn't overtake the game, i think it's fine. Like, if we got a crossover banner once a year, what's the harm in that?

I'd gladly take a Xenoblade banner btw.

Edited by Armagon

I think I'm halfway between Armagon and Vax's opinions here - I play this game for Fire Emblem, DEFINITELY NOT for Link, but hey, a single Banner once a year, say, for Golden Week? I wouldn't lose my mind over that.

My compromise I'd present is the concept of Themed Banners: Banners that only feature Fire Emblem characters, but with the Theme of another game. No, it is not simple cosplay, like Marth dressing as Link(ew, at least do Alm since Alm is a leftie and fights in a relatively similar way to Link while Marth is a rightie fencer), rather, it would be more along the lines of having the characters dressed to match the general scheme of the world the Theme is from - I.E. a TWEWFE Banner(just to throw an example out, I know most players would lose it if they actually did that) wouldn't feature Navarre dressed as Neku with Caeda dressed as Shiki, instead featuring things like Nino in a scuffy t-shirt and jeans/jean shorts and Vaike dressed like a punk with headphones.
Looking at it this way, a LoFE Banner would feature characters in clothing matching the style of LoZ, NOT characters cosplaying as LoZ characters, with such things as Sully dressed like a Gerudo or Sothe as one of the Sheikah Tribe.

Call me a purist, but I would prefer no crossovers whatsoever. I'd like the game to remain 100% Fire Emblem characters. Only in a few games like Smash do I find myself actually enjoying mixing characters from different series. The number of FE characters already waiting in line to get in between the alts and seasonals slowing things down is a fair point too.

Collaboration events are common in gacha games so it’s only a matter of time for FEH to get, at the very least, one collaboration event plus a special limited banner and a welfare unit. While FE still has a lot of characters that have yet to appear in FEH, I don’t think we’ll ever see even half of them during FEH’s lifespan. Collaboration events can really spice things up for a while. Nintendo’s new president wants to make much more money out of their mobile department and collaborations can bring in new costumers/whales. Western purists can only carry this game so far. It wouldn’t surprise me if FEH gets a FGO event just to attempt to bring in FGO’s big spenders. I’d be totally okay with a Neptunia, Fate, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy or Azur Lane collaboration event. They’d probably test the waters with something like a TMS or FE Warriors event first.

Edited by Lord-Zero

No thanks, the last thing I want is non FE characters in Heroes when there are 100s of regular FE characters that still need to be put in Heroes.  Plus the only crossover units I want in Heroes are the ones from FE Warriors and TMS.  I don't know where to put the OCs from cipher but I want them in too.

Just now, EricaofRenais said:

No thanks, the last thing I want is non FE characters in Heroes when there are 100s of regular FE characters that still need to be put in Heroes.  Plus the only crossover units I want in Heroes are the ones from FE Warriors and TMS.  I don't know where to put the OCs from cipher but I want them in too.

not like this matters much when they are stuffing in alternates every banner now... so might as well go crossover for some fresh stuff

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

not like this matters much when they are stuffing in alternates every banner now... so might as well go crossover for some fresh stuff

True, I would not say no to to wolf Laguz TP Link if it came to that.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The biggest issue with crossover banners is not that they take the spot of something else on the release schedule, but that they take the spot of something else in terms of development staffing and cost. Resources such as artists, voice talent, and programmers end up being used on them instead of on Fire Emblem characters.

As i previously stated, i don't think hiring 3/4 more artists, voice actors and programmers would be that much of a problem.

Sadly, my knowledge about that is basically null: all i can do is logically assume that they have the money to do it (as i'm sure they do) and i don't think it would take investments from the main banners instead.

If i'm wrong, please tell me.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

As long as it doesn't overtake the game, i think it's fine. Like, if we got a crossover banner once a year, what's the harm in that?

Basically my exact thought.

I imagine they could do some of them to celebrate special events like Xeno2's anniversary or things like that.

But yeah, more than two every year would be too much even for me.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

My compromise I'd present is the concept of Themed Banners: Banners that only feature Fire Emblem characters, but with the Theme of another game.

Nice idea!

36 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Collaboration events are common in gacha games so it’s only a matter of time for FEH to get, at the very least, one collaboration event plus a special limited banner and a welfare unit. While FE still has a lot of characters that have yet to appear in FEH, I don’t think we’ll ever see even half of them during FEH’s lifespan. Collaboration events can really spice things up for a while.

This as well.

If i remember correctly, Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect, a mobile game, had a NieR Automata themed event, and i personally appreciated it a lot (even though you could only get equipments based on the ones that appeared in Automata, like the YoRHa uniform).

BD and NieR are both Square Enix's properties, so what's the problem if FEH does the same?

Ok, maybe the characters themselves would be a bit too much (even though i'd still love to see Rex with Pyra at his side, maybe even with a peculiar animation when the special triggers), but the idea of FE characters cosplaying other Nintendo characters, or just matching the game's style, would be really nice for me.

Edited by Yexin

I’m all for it!

There’s quite a few I would like to see such as Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, or Vocaloid, just off the top of my head. The Mario banner would have to be strictly cosplay with Bartre dressed as Mario because I’m not sure I can handle actual Mario characters being in the game.

Give me a Tales of banner. Ideally one with Colette and Mikleo with Jade as a GHB

Colette: Flying, Blue(?) or Green(?) Dagger user, Chakram (weapon), Angel Feathers (special).

Mikleo: Infantry, Staff or Blue Mage or possibly a Bow user? Rime Slaughter (special) or Seraphic Artes (B passive).

Jade: Infantry, Lance user, Blood Pain (weapon), Fon Slot Seal (B passive).

I don't think I'd want the characters themselves in, but I wouldn't mind referential costumes.

23 minutes ago, Yexin said:

If i remember correctly, Bravely Default: Fairy's Effect, a mobile game, had a NieR Automata themed event, and i personally appreciated it a lot (even though you could only get equipments based on the ones that appeared in Automata, like the YoRHa uniform).

BD and NieR are both Square Enix's properties, so what's the problem if FEH does the same?

Adding to this, Final Fantasy: Brave Exivus recently did a crossover with Xenogears, another property owned by Square.

Though that does lead into the point that if FEH were to do a crossover, it'd likely just be with other Nintendo properties. It's just easier since they wouldn't have to go through all the licensing hurdles.

Pokemon ain't being featured though, Game Freak's too stubborn.

26 minutes ago, Yexin said:

But yeah, more than two every year would be too much even for me.

Yeah same. More than that and we risk crossover events overtaking the game

I think I'd actually really like an outfit system in FEH. Like for instance the ability to unlock special outfits or limited outfits for a hero. They could also play around with stat boosting or skill granting outfits, one possible idea could be to make it take up a seal slot as a result. No matter how unlikely it is given seasonals. I think it'd be a cool little thing though.

Definitely not.

Putting aside the fact that it would be using resources and taking up space that could be used for the many, many FE characters that are still not in the game, this is FE Heroes, not Nintendo Heroes. If they want to make a Zelda gatcha, go ahead, but leave those characters out of this game. And I say that as a huge Zelda fan.

3 hours ago, Yexin said:

I don't think a topic like this already exists, but if that's the case, i'm sorry.

So, as the title says, i usually think about crossover banner: things like a limited Zelda banner or a limited Xenoblade banner.

Talking directly with my friends or with strangers on some discord channels, many dislike the idea (some also deeply hated it), claiming that it would ruin the whole game, since it's called "Fire Emblem", and not "Super Smash Bros." and that a huge lot of FEH players would abandon the game; very few liked it (some also proposed the idea of Fire Emblem characters with crossover costumes, for example Marth dressed up like Link or Ike dressed up like Zeke from Xeno2).

The fact is that no one can know for sure what such an idea would cause until the actually do it (and i honestly think they won't).

As far as i'm concerned, i'd love to see characters from different games in FEH (and i think i'd pay to get them): Link (Sword or (Colored) Bow), Zelda (Staff/Tome), Sheik (Dagger), Pit ((Colored) Bow), Shulk (Sword), Rex (Sword, maybe with Pyra at his side, just like GRobin does with the head of Grima), Zeke (Axe), Cloud (Sword), Àgnes (Staff/Various), Tiz (Dagger/Various), Ringabel (Tome/Various), Edea (Lance/Various) are just a few examples.

In my best scenario, they wouldn't replace "New Heroes" Banners nor anything, they would just be some extra, with a paralogue chapter, just like every other limited banner.

After all, i think they can afford it, thinking about all the money they made with Heroes.

So, my question for you all is:

Would you like or dislike the idea?

If you like it, why? Which crossover would you like to see? Would you prefer the characters themselves or FE characters dressed up like them?

If you don't like it, why? Do you think it's a terrible idea that would make many FEH players to abandon the game?

I'm really curious about your opinions!

LOL XD, I have brought that idea one time or two XD. My stance is the same: Smash Bros, THE Nintendo crossover, specifically Melee, is probably FE's first big turning point. Not to mention FEH's willingness to not take itself seriously at times, with silly seasonal alt versions, meme acknowledge.... yeah, it's pretty much a matter of time before we see a collaboration. I'm not expecting THE characters themselves, but cosplays. Reason is that most Nintendo IPs are out of place of FE's medieval setting, not to mention many of them don't speak.

I do think third party IPs is harder, but not impossible 

PD: I see Zelgius cosplaying Meta Knight 

Edited by Midnox

Considering Nintendo just recently bought a reasonable chunk of CyGames stock I wouldn't be overly surprised to see a potential Granblue Fantasy crossover on the horizon. Collab events are pretty par for the course in gacha after all, and the companies are now associated somewhat. Alternatively they might crossover with their upcoming mobile release between the two as a promotion.