Crossover Banners: Opinions and Ideas

Yexin

45 minutes ago, Yexin said:

As i previously stated, i don't think hiring 3/4 more artists, voice actors and programmers would be that much of a problem.

Sadly, my knowledge about that is basically null: all i can do is logically assume that they have the money to do it (as i'm sure they do) and i don't think it would take investments from the main banners instead.

If i'm wrong, please tell me.

Money isn't the only thing that would matter. Time is also an issue. Assets to take time to create, and time spent on one set of assets is time not spent on other assets.

Double booking a person doesn't mean they make both appointments simultaneously (unless they have a time turner). It means they will make one appointment or the other or split their time between both.

If we assume that Fire Emblem Heroes is currently releasing new content as fast as physically possible with their current staffing and commissions, their only choices are to increase their content creation rate, which means increasing their payroll, or to displace other content, which means slowing down the release of regular content.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dread the moment crossovers will happen and characters from other games will join FEH but I expect it to happen at some point. Not in a hurry for this can of worms to open.

If it were just me, it would never happen. 

Cosplay? Maybe

Characters? No, pls

Some people have said that it’s usual in gaccha games, but...Fire Emblem player base is quite different than many gacchas player base, I think xd

I don't think it's necessary- I would be alright if they cosplayed as other Nintendo characters, but just cosplay. There's hundreds of characters yet to make it in the game, and a lot of them marketable. Even the older game characters. Shanna's and Priscilla's boost in popularity can attest to the fact that older characters can gain new fans.

I would say no though. There's plenty of ideas and characters they could use before settling on crossover characters.

I suppose it would make for a fun halloween banner, don't think I'd be ok with anything else.

we could have marth as og link (meister schwert)

touroneo hardin as mario (red mage with fire flower)

can't think of anything else.

again anything other than halloween is too much, though I still would like them to make use of fire emblem lore for halloween one year.

4 hours ago, Johann said:

The only crossover I can accept would involve the Muppets.

I might legit whale for a Gonzo.

But in all seriousness, absolutely not. I'm even iffy about costumes. I play this for fire emblem, not other games. While I've defended alts on other occasions, I'm still not exactly keen about non-season/non-legendary alts. For that matter, I actively dislike seasonals, or rather how many and how shoe-horned a lot feel. But all of them I'm more okay with because they're FE characters.

I wouldn't quit, but I'd definitely be displeased.

59 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

Some people have said that it’s usual in gaccha games, but...Fire Emblem player base is quite different than many gacchas player base, I think xd

FEH is still a gacha game. The rather niche “FE playerbase” alone won’t be enough to keep the game running in the long run especially in Japan. The game is barely a year old and it’s already adding a bunch of non-limited alts to the main pool and reusing assets. The new president has some big goals for the mobile department so I can see a collaboration or two happening to spice things up. If he’s hoping for FEH to be remotely close to GBF or FGO in terms of revenue, Anna’s got a lot of work to do. 

@bottlegnomes There’s nothing stopping you from skipping said banners if they do happen. In the case of a welfare, fodder him/her off or send them home. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

There’s quite a few I would like to see such as Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, or Vocaloid, just off the top of my head.

FRICK NOW I NEED TO GO BUG PEEV ABOUT SPRITING THINGS
...While I would frankly go hard money for Luka as a Refresh Unit, one of the reasons we don't see VOCALOIDs in most games is that Crypton has been skeptical about allowing VOCALOIDs into such games due to their philosophy that Miku and co. aren't meant to be doing any sort of fighting - I haven't seen VOCALOIDs be featured in any Mobile game for sure outside of Brave Frontier. Because of this, I think that particular crossover is unlikely, though I'll sure as heck keep my fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

@Lord-Zero It's not having them. It's that their existence is immersion-breaking.

A “because they’re there” way of thinking? Just how there are people that are incredibly upset that “Phoenix Mode” exists even though you have to deliberately “look” to unlock it? You do realize that said content would be completely optional, correct? The game doesn’t force you to play any of its modes. They already broke any silly attempt at immersion the moment they brought up the first Spring banner and Spring Xander became a thing. 

11 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

A “because they’re there” way of thinking? Just how there are people that are incredibly upset that “Phoenix Mode” exists even though you have to deliberately “look” to unlock it? You do realize that said content would be completely optional, correct? The game doesn’t force you to play any of its modes. They already broke any silly attempt at immersion the moment they brought up the first Spring banner and Spring Xander became a thing. 

No shit. Did you not read where I said I actively dislike seasonals?

I'm well aware I sound crotchety, but if it enhances the game in some way, even if I'm not a fan, I'll be for it. Shoving Link in FE in no way enhances the game IMO.

Edited by bottlegnomes

7 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

No shit. Did you not read where I said I actively dislike seasonals?

Basically, you just want it to remain as “pure” as it can but that’s too late. They’ll certainly throw in as many non-limited alts as they can before even considering putting a bunch of super obscure characters with no meme potential/crazy ability in a banner or even as mediocre welfares. FE’s large cast works against itself. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

11 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Basically, you just want it to remain as “pure” as it can but that’s too late. They’ll certainly throw in as many non-limited alts as they can before even considering putting a bunch of super obscure characters with no meme potential/crazy ability in a banner or even as mediocre welfares. FE’s large cast works against itself. 

Oh, I'm well aware. While I like a decent number of the individual characters, I really am not a fan of either seasonal or alts conceptually. Do I like My Chromsmas? Yeah, but I would've rather had Douglas or Dalshen. Do I like SM Eirika? Again, yeah, but I would've rather had Ewan, and I don't even like Ewan. Despite my gripes, I've come to accept them. Cross-over characters would just be a more egregious addition in the same sort of thing. Like I said, I wouldn't quit playing, and very well might actually end up liking some of the characters, but I certainly wouldn't be happy they started adding them, though I probably wouldn't go around bitching about them after-the-fact.

Edited by bottlegnomes

14 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

They already broke any silly attempt at immersion the moment they brought up the first Spring banner and Spring Xander became a thing. 

Not that Heroes' plot should be taken seriously, and I'm not defending seasonals in any way, but they're consistent with the basic premise: you have a gun that summons FE characters. Instead of summoning Xander when he's at war with Hoshido, you summon him when he's at a party.

7 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

a bunch of super obscure characters with no meme potential/crazy ability in a banner

No such thing. If they can give new Reinhardt a generic OP weapon, and invent an OP weapon for new Olwen, they can cushion any given obscure character with a good skill to make them appealing.

I don't have particularly strong feelings one way or the other, but if pressed I'd probably lean no. I wouldn't be offended by it, but it'd just be too weird seeing fire mage Mario or someone like that in my barracks, and that's from someone who openly likes wackiness in FEH.

I'd be more open towards something like a special event, like a RD-style battle but the enemies are from the Mushroom Kingdom or whatever. Maybe tap battle but the generics are replaced by Goombas and the like, whatever.

Some people have mentioned cosplay outfits for FE characters - again no strong opinion on that, but I'd lean towards doing so as a sprite customisation option for characters you already own, instead of new alts.

Edited by Humanoid

8 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Not that Heroes' plot should be taken seriously, and I'm not defending seasonals in any way, but they're consistent with the basic premise: you have a gun that summons FE characters. Instead of summoning Xander when he's at war with Hoshido, you summon him when he's at a party.

They’ve barely been able to keep that idea around. 

10 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

If they can give new Reinhardt a generic OP weapon, and invent an OP weapon for new Olwen, they can cushion any given obscure character with a good skill to make them appealing.

As I said, “crazy ability”. OP weapons fall into that category as well. Reinhardt became popular due to Dire Thunder’s effect and having the attack power to make good use of it. 

Aww, I assumed crossover meant banners that combined characters from totally different games surrounding some kind of theme. This has been done before, but not enough if you ask me. 

So I want more actually new fire emblem characters in the game. But I note that their inclusion is steadily getting swallowed up by alternate costumes. I don't want Link or Paper Mario in the game but...yeah I suppose I'd find that more fun than Mage Knight Tharja, Bow wielding Sakura, or sword cav Mist. Fire Emblem has a lot of good characters, and we don't have half of them yet. But I would also love the conversations that would follow the inclusion of Kirby wearing Robin's hair. "Is this technically Robin #7?". So I guess on a whole I don't like the idea but my snarky comments won't be as cutting.

I should also admit I'm down with the TMS cast showing up. And Cipher OCs.

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I wouldn't be offended by it, but it'd just be too weird seeing fire mage Mario or someone like that in my barracks, and that's from someone who openly likes wackiness in FEH.

Fodder him off to someone else or send him home. 

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Some people have mentioned cosplay outfits for FE characters - again no strong opinion on that, but I'd lean towards doing so as a sprite customisation option for characters you already own, instead of new alts.

They’d probably make them into alts and give them cool skills for maximum profits. 

Speaking of other collaborations, maybe Madoka (so we can get a Madoka-themed Genny) but...if they want to stick to the made-up festivities and fantasy medieval-esque setting...LoZ, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Fate, Xenoblade, TMS #FE, Cipher, Hasha no Tsurugi, Soul Calibur, GBF, etc. Now, if they want something crazier and get out of their comfort zone: Super Mario, Star Fox, Metroid, Kirby, Sonic, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Tekken, Street Fighter, Splatoon, F-Zero, ARMS, Dragon Ball, etc.

No Pokemon because GF is stingy.

Final Fantasy in particular (especially the early ones) would fit in just fine.

Edited by Lord-Zero

Just now, Lord-Zero said:

Fodder him off to someone else or send him home. 

They’d probably make them into alts and give them cool skills for maximum profits. 

Nah, I'd totally keep him because ultimately I'm a pragmatist. This is one of the things that the more of them are added at the same time, the less weird it'll be.

It'd be great if the barracks had a filter, just as a general improvement. Not just to filter stuff like this, but just for day-to-day convenience like "only show cavalry". Sort by move type is still a hassle because you have to scroll a long way down.

I wouldn't mind if crossover characters were added but it's not like I want them to be in the game. So I'd say I'm indifferent to it overall.

Now, if they were to add characters I hope they at least have looks that fit the game. For example, Link as a infantry sword or infantry archer would work and if he were to use something like his Hyrule Warriors outfit instead of the green tunic it wouldn't look too out of place in FEH but something extremely silly like Mario is a big no, his very aesthetics would clash too much with the medieval-esque fantasy/anime style of FEH. 

2 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

As I said, “crazy ability”. OP weapons fall into that category as well.

If you want to argue Heroes can only get a weapon if they've used something like it in their original game, how do you justify Olwen getting a powercrept Bladetome? Her "crazy ability" was Dire Thunder, which she had in her first appearance.

Meanwhile, the more obscure Asvel has the "crazy ability" Grafcalibur. Turning that weapon into a powercrept Bladetome wouldn't be much of a stretch. It's much closer to a Bladetome than Dire Thunder is.

Reinhardt became popular due to Dire Thunder’s effect and having the attack power to make good use of it. 

When I said new Reinhardt, I meant the one with the sword...

If you want to argue Heroes has to be 100% faithful to the main series, Galzus is another obscure character who is mainly notable for having two Master weapons.

And that's not even getting into the possibility of skill fodder. I've seen people pull for Faye even though they don't like her, because they want her Firesweep Bow. A character most are indifferent to will still be aimed for if they are premium fodder. And fodder might as well be an obscure character for the few people who do like them.

Edited by Baldrick

As others have said, if they want to release a seasonal (don't take up new hero banners!) banner with some fire emblem characters cosplaying as popular heroes from other Nintendo franchises that would be fine.  Ayra as Samus Aran?  Oliver as Wario?  Donnel as Kid Icarus?  Lachesis as Princess Zelda?  That does sound exciting...if on a seasonal banner.

Edited by Lewyn

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Money isn't the only thing that would matter. Time is also an issue. Assets to take time to create, and time spent on one set of assets is time not spent on other assets.

Double booking a person doesn't mean they make both appointments simultaneously (unless they have a time turner). It means they will make one appointment or the other or split their time between both.

If we assume that Fire Emblem Heroes is currently releasing new content as fast as physically possible with their current staffing and commissions, their only choices are to increase their content creation rate, which means increasing their payroll, or to displace other content, which means slowing down the release of regular content.

Perfect, thanks for your clarification.

7 hours ago, Alexmender said:

but something extremely silly like Mario is a big no, his very aesthetics would clash too much with the medieval-esque fantasy/anime style of FEH. 

I thought it was pretty obvious, but characters with very different art styles like Mario or Inklings wouldn't even be considered, if they were to make crossover banners.

They're just too different to match the general atmosphere.

On the other hand, i have no problem imagining Àgnes (or someone cosplaying her, maybe Azura) walking in your castle.