Crossover Banners: Opinions and Ideas

Yexin

I'd personally love crossovers, but I also like crossovers in general. Just stop making pointless alts like Rein/Olwen Mark 2, and save the effort spent on them for crossovers and stuff. 

As to who, I'd love people from stuff like Bravely Default, Fate, FGO, LoZ, Stella Glow never gonna happen, but I can dream right? and other stuff like that. I think things like Metroid and Mario would be too immersion-breaking though, even by FEH's standards. Cosplay is ok, but I would personally prefer the actual characters, partly so that Robin and Lyn don't get another 27 alts.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Cosplay is ok, but I would personally prefer the actual characters, partly so that Robin and Lyn don't get another 27 alts.

That's also one more reason why i'd prefer the characters themselves, even though i actually lean towards the cosplay thing.

16 hours ago, Yexin said:

I carefully clarified that imo they would be an extra, the thing with the least priority.

After all, if you don't them, you could still ignore them, nobody would force you.

That isn't true. They will appear in the Heroes Catalogue and in the Arena.

Also, I hate the idea of an overpower character from another game coming in and becoming top dog (which I can easily see happening). It send the idea, too, that they really don't care about Fire Emblem in the slightest. I'd rather see ten Lyn alts than one single Link, personally.

I would like a seasonal of them cosplaying other characters. That could be fun. Outfits from other games are often so interesting, and it wouldn't ruin the image of Heroes to me. I also wouldn't mind crossovers with TMS, Cipher and Warriors because they are at least somewhat based on FE in ways.

A thought: I have more or less the same feelings for crossover collabs as I do limited edition units and their ilk, I really don't like them. Brave Frontier made me despise Limited Editions, just like FE has made me come to dislike alts when I used to be almost neutral about both. Though, I'm not vehemently opposed to some pulls if there were a unit that intrigued me that much.

Ironically, I'd go full force for a Brave Frontier collab in FE, among others.

17 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I haven't seen VOCALOIDs be featured in any Mobile game for sure outside of Brave Frontier. Because of this, I think that particular crossover is unlikely, though I'll sure as heck keep my fingers crossed.

Million Arthur, Gothic wa Mahou Otome, Unison League, Destiny Child(idk what the hell this is, but I saw it in qooapp lol), Valkyrie Connect, and Alteil Chronicle(I learned about this one a few hours ago, actually, idk what exactly it is), are the only ones I know of at present.

Edited by Soledai

1 hour ago, Soledai said:

Million Arthur, Gothic wa Mahou Otome, Unison League, Destiny Child(idk what the hell this is, but I saw it in qooapp lol), Valkyrie Connect, and Alteil Chronicle(I learned about this one a few hours ago, actually, idk what exactly it is), are the only ones I know of at present.

Good to know it's not quite as hopeless, thanks! I played Valkyrie Connect for a little bit, but ended up deleting it for GoddessKiss of all games, so I wasn't aware they were featured there.

11 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I would like a seasonal of them cosplaying other characters. That could be fun. Outfits from other games are often so interesting, and it wouldn't ruin the image of Heroes to me. I also wouldn't mind crossovers with TMS, Cipher and Warriors because they are at least somewhat based on FE in ways.

I don't think they'll put much of a problem as crossovers considering many more mobile games made such collaborations. But I think a set of characters cosplaying as other Nintendo characters will come first. A Smash doesn't come every year, and we'll be getting one this one, and I'm sure FEH will make a tie in content for it, considering it marked a turning point for FE

Fire Emblem characters cosplaying would be hilarious... And it would be fitting for some people (mainly thinking of Kris, Robin, Corrin, Nowi, Tiki, Leaf, Lucina, Anna, and even Katrina)... I do think a crossover would be a little awkward though, considering that the game has only focused on Fire Emblem as of now... The developers would have to find a way to make it fit, and the crossover characters couldn't overshadow the main Fire Emblem ones...

20 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

, and the crossover characters couldn't overshadow the main Fire Emblem ones...

That's another reason cosplays is such a good idea. If they decide to put the actual characters, that'll undoubtedly happen, not so much with cosplays, as you can tell who's behind it, even though they'll be borrowing their character's power

You think the salt about alts is bad?

The salt about crossover characters slowing down a less mainstay FE's chance of getting in would be like a salt mine exploding after being overstuffed with TNT. 

Cosplays wouldn't be much better. Be a lot of "now they have even more reasons to make alts instead of giving me 'so-and-so'?" Would probably be best if Nintendo/IS never entertains the thought. The only time I could maybe see them getting away with it is for Super Smash Bros hype. Even then it would be a hard sell.

As someone who plays other gacha games with numerous collabs I'm alright with it.  I draw the line though if it's bringing in a person completely irrelevant to the game industry (I'm looking at you, FF Exvius with the Ariana Grande collabs)

I've had this discussion with someone the other day on an italian Discord server. I'm 90% sure the OP is that someone, considering nationality and topic, but that's neither here nor there.

I'll repeat what I told that person and say that personally I think that a serious crossover will kill this game. Cosplaying? Even that is a bit of a stretch for me, despite the fact that Dorcas became a thing because of memes, and as such IS might be capable of such a feat. And either way it would require effort and time that the game doesn't necessarily have, for the sake of only a small portion of players. In other words, it isn't worth it in the slightest.

Maybe in Japan players have different opinions, no idea about that. But literally everyone I know that plays FEH in our small Italian community would turn away from the game at the idea of having completely unrelated characters making an appearance, mostly because of reasons already explained by Ice Dragon, Vax and others who answered before me.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:48 PM, Soledai said:

Crash Fever too, and there are a few more as well. I'd say Vocaloids are probably among the most common crossovers -- I can't think of a franchise that has appeared in even nearly as many other apps.

On 5/3/2018 at 7:34 PM, SoulWeaver said:

FRICK NOW I NEED TO GO BUG PEEV ABOUT SPRITING THINGS
...While I would frankly go hard money for Luka as a Refresh Unit, one of the reasons we don't see VOCALOIDs in most games is that Crypton has been skeptical about allowing VOCALOIDs into such games due to their philosophy that Miku and co. aren't meant to be doing any sort of fighting - I haven't seen VOCALOIDs be featured in any Mobile game for sure outside of Brave Frontier. Because of this, I think that particular crossover is unlikely, though I'll sure as heck keep my fingers crossed.

Have they said that's their philosophy? Because it seems they've done crossovers with a fair number of games that have fighting in them. Here's a dual-wielding Miku from their crossover in Crash Fever:

Spoiler

CtovTFT.jpg

She looks ready to fight to me!

19 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

Cosplays wouldn't be much better. Be a lot of "now they have even more reasons to make alts instead of giving me 'so-and-so'?" Would probably be best if Nintendo/IS never entertains the thought. The only time I could maybe see them getting away with it is for Super Smash Bros hype. Even then it would be a hard sell.

I don't think this is true. Seasonals are generally well received, and this could easily come as a seasonal banner. The main alts that aren't well received (or at least have generated the most vocal complaints) are:

A character getting more than one seasonal (especially over a more relevant character - seen with Camilla in the NY banner).

A character getting too many alts (Lyn being the main example now). 

Alts in the common pool (Eirika, Hinoka, Reinhardt, etc).

Edited by Cute Chao

21 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I don't think this is true. Seasonals are generally well received, and this could easily come as a seasonal banner. The main alts that aren't well received (or at least have generated the most vocal complaints) are:

A character getting more than one seasonal (especially over a more relevant character - seen with Camilla in the NY banner).

A character getting too many alts (Lyn being the main example now). 

Alts in the common pool (Eirika, Hinoka, Reinhardt, etc).

Don't think they're going to give up an actual seasonal banner (Christmas, Halloween, Easter, etc) to give us cosplay outfits. Closest you get is Halloween, they rather do spooky. Short on space to add in a new seasonal banner, particularly if they want to address the complaints about seasonal fatigue (which is definitely a thing that was complained about when we got hit with seasonal banner after seasonal banner for a while, which is part of the reason why they were getting less and less well received. The other reason was because it was almost 100% Awakening/Fates characters for the whole first year and people were sick of that, they've addressed that half of the problem so far).

I think they can get away with it for a Super Smash Bros promotion because 1) its an absolutely massive hype driver for Nintendo as a whole 2) Fire Emblem gets a large number of reps in SSB thanks to having loads of character that very easily fit that style of game, so its less "random crossover banner" like if say a Legend of Zelda banner appeared, more "other characters from a game that FE also partakes in".

Don't think its doable or happening, outside of a "game is dying, might as well jump the shark and try to get a last few dollars out of it" situation. 

9 hours ago, Astellius said:

Have they said that's their philosophy? Because it seems they've done crossovers with a fair number of games that have fighting in them. Here's a dual-wielding Miku from their crossover in Crash Fever:

Reveal hidden contents

CtovTFT.jpg

She looks ready to fight to me!

I don't recall exactly where I read it and am thus unable to provide reference, unfortunately, so it's understandable if I come across as hardly believable. Sorry for not being able to pull concrete evidence.

I'll have to take a look at some of the games they've appeared in, then. In the meantime, that helps my hopes for Refresh Unit Luka though sadly Ring will forever remain beyond my grasp.

9 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

Don't think they're going to give up an actual seasonal banner (Christmas, Halloween, Easter, etc) to give us cosplay outfits. Closest you get is Halloween, they rather do spooky. Short on space to add in a new seasonal banner, particularly if they want to address the complaints about seasonal fatigue (which is definitely a thing that was complained about when we got hit with seasonal banner after seasonal banner for a while, which is part of the reason why they were getting less and less well received. The other reason was because it was almost 100% Awakening/Fates characters for the whole first year and people were sick of that, they've addressed that half of the problem so far).

I think they can get away with it for a Super Smash Bros promotion because 1) its an absolutely massive hype driver for Nintendo as a whole 2) Fire Emblem gets a large number of reps in SSB thanks to having loads of character that very easily fit that style of game, so its less "random crossover banner" like if say a Legend of Zelda banner appeared, more "other characters from a game that FE also partakes in".

Don't think its doable or happening, outside of a "game is dying, might as well jump the shark and try to get a last few dollars out of it" situation. 

Debatable. To me, the core banners are Easter, spring, Christmas and one summer. Those won't change.

However, they didn't need two summer banners and the dancer banner is not a guarantee to return. Cosplay could easily take up either one of those. Same with the bride's banner. That one may or may not keep running, but I see it getting stale after a few years. Could be wrong on that one. 

As for Halloween, there is nothing to say it has to be spooky. It was last year, but it doesn't have to be again. I saw several people complaining that they thought the themes were uninspired, so maybe cosplay would actually be better received. I personally liked three of them, but oh well.

I don't know if I would like to see Link or Zelda or any other character from other game in FE Heroes. Having a FEH unit with a costume, however, would be cool, but I don't expect it to happen. My ideas for Nintendo costumes:

Sword Infantry (or cavalry) Link, Blue Bow Infantry Zelda, Dagger Infantry Sheik, Sword or Lance (trident) Ganondorf.

Axe (Hammer) Infantry (or armored) King Dedede, Sword Infantry Meta Knight, Colorless Bow Flying Pit, Staff Infantry Palutena (basically Echoes's Tatiana).

Edited by Diovani Bressan