Casual mode, yay or nay?

Casual mode good or not?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Yes to casual mode?

• Yes
    • No

I'd prefer something similar to Mila's Turnwheel replace casual mode altogether. 

But I'm bitter from a string of arguments I had with a particular person when NM came out and they adamantly said that Casual mode made the game more tactical, so I have had to be ardently "No casual!" since day 1.

I'd like some changes made, like maybe having units have "lives" as opposed to infinite second chances, but I ultimately don't mind casual too much. It didn't stop Fates as a whole being miles harder than Awakening, so I don't think it has made the series easier like I feared when the feature was first announced. 

I like Casual Mode and always use it when I have the chance.  That said, I usually still reset whenever a unit dies as if I was playing Classic Mode, unless said death is very close to the end of the map and/or caused by a bullcrap low-percentage enemy Critical Hit.

Actually, I came up with an idea for a possible variant of Casual Mode inspired by Thracia 776's Fatigue system.  It goes like this: Whenever a unit dies on a chapter, they become unusable for the next chapter, but regain their usability in the chapter after next.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I like Casual Mode and always use it when I have the chance.  That said, I usually still reset whenever a unit dies as if I was playing Classic Mode, unless said death is very close to the end of the map and/or caused by a bullcrap low-percentage enemy Critical Hit.

May I ask why you do that despite playing on classic mode?

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

May I ask why you do that despite playing on classic mode?

In case my wording is tough to understand:

I play Casual Mode.  But I usually still reset when a unit dies even though I don't necessarily have to.  If someone dies close to the end of the chapter and/or from a low-percentage Critical Hit, Casual Mode saves me the trouble of playing pretty much the whole map over again because of something stupid.

I also just added something about my ideas for alterations to Casual Mode in my earlier post.

I definitely appreciate casual for what it is. It offers new players a way into the series in a much easier sense. It also lets people experience the game without significant worries. Does it stop the game from being hard? In some instances yes. In some instances no. But it's a really good gateway to attempting higher difficulties or just moving on to classic. Of the concessions FE has made for newer players, this is probably one of the better ones.

So long as its optional, then my answer will always be yes. I firmly believe that Fire Emblem is more enjoyable on Classic Mode, but I can't say Casual Mode is a bad thing when the existence of Casual Mode in Awakening helped me try the series for the first time (and that led me down a rabbit hole of obsession over the series so deep I can never climb out).

I'd say keep it, but I think casual mode along with Mila's Turnwheel is a bit overkill. I'm personally fine with just the latter, but I have seen some people be convinced to get Echoes because casual mode was present.

One of the biggest headaches about this topic, thought, is how the player decides to use the mechanic has a larger impact than the mechanic itself. I remember using casual mode to learn the ropes of Awakening without being permanently punished during the process, but the persistent thought that "if this were classic mode, they'd be dead" as well as seeing just how badly a single wrong move could turn out, really helped me grow stronger and more prudent as a player. However, I always had the intention of using casual mode as a training tool so to speak, and the first time I actually beat the game was on classic. Some people don't have this thought process.

It doesn't help that the series as a whole has been very inconsistent with how well the permadeath aspect of it has been handled, and even the games that used it the best have some pretty glaring flaws in it's implementation.

No, I hate how FE games after 12 are balanced around no one dying.

20 minutes ago, Refa said:

No, I hate how FE games after 12 are balanced around no one dying.

How exactly are they balanced around no one dying?

I like having the option to play in casual mode, especially for new players. I used to be really intimidated by the fact that characters could die permanently, and if Awakening didn't have casual mode I might not have gotten into the series. Now I like to play on classic mode, but it was nice to have casual mode when I was still getting the hang of things.

Although, I think it would be cool if beating the game on classic mode unlocked some little extra things (like music, cutscenes, or maybe even paralogue chapters), as a way of encouraging players to give classic mode a try.

28 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How exactly are they balanced around no one dying?

Number of units you get is less than past games and there are minimal redundancies between units when compared to past games.  Additionally, stat inflation is so high that if you've been training someone and they die halfway through, it's next to impossible to replace them.

I only play on classic mode but just because I prefer classic doesn’t mean casual should be taken out of the upcoming games entirely. How people choose to play their game is none of my business. I just want everyone to be able to play and enjoy the game how they want to. 

8 minutes ago, Refa said:

Number of units you get is less than past games and there are minimal redundancies between units when compared to past games.  Additionally, stat inflation is so high that if you've been training someone and they die halfway through, it's next to impossible to replace them.

Yep this is pretty much why the games balancing around Casual is a mistake, well put Refa.

I hope it stays. I personally don't use it in normal runs, as I learn nothing from the type of playstyle it encourages. However, as someone who is trying to get into LTC's, I do see how it could help with making those runs less of an issue to do when something goes wrong since they have the battle save feature instead of suspend. Also it does attract new players into the series so that's always good.

15 minutes ago, Refa said:

I can agree with this. I'd really like to see more units in volume like we used to have. In addition, I'd say that due to the infinite ability to change classes someone not turning out good is entirely a non-issue at this point. Like if one character didn't round out properly you always had a decent alternative with generally good bases and lower growths. 

Probably echoing a few people but as long as it remains an optional choice between classic/casual then there is no harm having it around. And it gives newer players an easier gateway into the series; basically helping out a few players without any other players being forced to suffer any negative effects for it sounds good in my book. 

This still applies though.

1 hour ago, Refa said:

Games should be balanced under the assumption the user is playing Classic. 

Edited by RADicate

Casual mode is fine with me. It has no real downsides to me, apart from not being able to switch back to classic mode without restarting the game in some cases. It's optional for players, so if someone prefers classic mode, then that's fine.

I prefer Casual mode because if I get screwed by the RNG, it won't have to restart the entire chapter if someone gets themselve too injured to battle.

1 hour ago, Refa said:

The vast majority of people reset after losing someone anyway, so this isn't really much of an issue anyway.

Edited by NinjaMonkey