Casual mode, yay or nay?

Casual mode good or not?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Yes to casual mode?

• Yes
    • No

I say yes to keeping it.

It is a great way for new players to the series get used to the core mechanics. And its not like it hurts veteran players who like classic mode since you know, they can just play classic mode.

I say yes to keeping it. Yeah it's a shield, but I value the characters too much to really care about that. I find it more convenient than resetting, which is annoying to me, I've at least beaten games with classic though, looking at you fe 8 and 11. Honestly I wouldn't mind it if FE did a middle ground besides the turnwheel, two main strategy rpg series I like is Valkyria Chronicles and Mercenaries saga. If a party member gets ko-ed, in valkyria if they aren't tapped by an enemy or get run over by an enemy tank, then they can be rescued in 3 turns (or the map be beaten within 3 turns) and evacuated off the battlefield. In mercenaries saga there is also a 3 turn limit or so, but there are items the party has access to that can res allies or it's a skill for the cleric class. In short I would play classic more if it had a safety net like that, cause being honest, we all know rng likes to mess with all of us. I say it'd also provide more utility to staff users if that was a prime function of their class.

I'd sooner get rid of Classic mode than Casual. Permadeath in FE needs to be used for me to appreciate it. However, I do want some sort of incentive for not letting units fall in battle, as that's really the only value classic has that I miss in casual.

2 hours ago, Refa said:

Number of units you get is less than past games and there are minimal redundancies between units when compared to past games.  Additionally, stat inflation is so high that if you've been training someone and they die halfway through, it's next to impossible to replace them.

Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance all have smaller casts than the older games. This change was already coming about likely because the developers realized most people were resetting character deaths anyway.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'd sooner get rid of Classic mode than Casual. Permadeath in FE needs to be used for me to appreciate it. However, I do want some sort of incentive for not letting units fall in battle, as that's really the only value classic has that I miss in casual.

FWIW, Ironmanning FE games has probably been the most fun I've had with the series in forever.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance all have smaller casts than the older games. This change was already coming about likely because the developers realized most people were resetting character deaths anyway.

Sacred Stones was a much shorter game than previous and still had more replaceable units + no stat inflation to speak of.  FE7/FE9 had smaller casts but not significantly so.  FE13/FE14 actually have comparable casts to older games but a significant portion (~40%) are locked to children characters, which kind of misses the point of having redundant characters IMO.

I agree that they knew people were resetting for character deaths (hence the smaller casts), but they still could not assume and design their game around that.  With Casual Mode, to me at least it feels like they figure "newer players will play on Casual Mode, experienced players will reset for every character death anyways".  Hey, maybe this is true but it's something that I at least find to be a less compelling game as a result.

Edited by Refa

Having the choice between Classic and Casual is a good option that appeals to both experienced and casual players alike. 

What I would do is get rid of Phoenix Mode.  Seems like a little overkill on the easy side.  At least Casual mode gave you the penalty of not using that unit for the rest of the map.  Phoenix seems to take away any consequence for making bad moves.

35 minutes ago, CA Valkyrie said:

Having the choice between Classic and Casual is a good option that appeals to both experienced and casual players alike. 

What I would do is get rid of Phoenix Mode.  Seems like a little overkill on the easy side.  At least Casual mode gave you the penalty of not using that unit for the rest of the map.  Phoenix seems to take away any consequence for making bad moves.

I more often play on Casual but this is basically how I feel. But if we're talking Casual mode, can we not do what Fates did and actually have a penalty for the Lord and/or Avatar dying? If I screw up, I still need to be considered a failure. I'm not gonna feel any level of satisfaction if know I outright haven't accomplished much because my Lord/Avatar can just go unused entirely.

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

I more often play on Casual but this is basically how I feel. But if we're talking Casual mode, can we not do what Fates did and actually have a penalty for the Lord and/or Avatar dying? If I screw up, I still need to be considered a failure. I'm not gonna feel any level of satisfaction if know I outright haven't accomplished much because my Lord/Avatar can just go unused entirely.

Wait, did Fates not give you a game over if Corrin died like Awakening did with Chrom or Robin on Casual Mode?

I worry about people playing Fire Emblem for the first time and are not awful at video games. So they pick casual because everybody recommends it for beginners and find the game's difficulty to be a joke. Really every decision has more weight in classic mode when there's a potential for permadeath. But resetting the chapter is obviously not fun either. My ideal fire emblem game would have casual as the "very easy" difficulty, plainly pointing out that there's no permadeath and this is for people just looking to enjoy the story. Easy, Normal, Hard, would have the turnwheel with increasingly less uses. Easy's got five per battle, Normal's got two, Hard has one, and Lunatic has no turnwheel at all.

I also find it to be very odd that you still get a game over when the lord dies. Makes sense on classic but it's a random constraint to leave in Casual mode.

Edited by Glennstavos

Nah, I kinda want it gone. As long as it's replaced by something else though. If nothing replaces, I'd rather it stay, just don't balance the game around it.

But I'd like to see something else, either a turn-wheel, a random chance for a unit's KO to be fatal, an opportunity to save a unit at 0-HP, something that would actually be a little different and fun for someone already playing classic. Especially for an iron man playthrough, the latter two I mentioned could be fun.

I think I would tentatviely say I want it gone..

I feel like I played much harder games when I was unger than I do now and I found a lot of satisfaction in powering through things that beat me the first few times.

Also to go along with what I say about "which FE should you recommend to new-comers" I feel like reccomending a game that is too easy to someone who is new to the series can backfire -

I understand trying to ease them in with an easy game first,  BUT if the game comes off as too shallow, then they will probbably dismiss the rest of the series before moving on to the hard games (or the second/third difficulty). Therefore it's better to start or be forced to start with at least a medium-hard game. I might be thinking more because for me my non-FE friends have heavy SNES/PSX RPG experience and can adapt to mechanical things quickly, maybe the easy game first suggestion would be better if I was reccomending for my niece or something. 

I'll say it this time like I have all the others.

Keep casual mode. It gives players other options and since it's optional it hurts nothing but purist/elitist sensibilities that say you're not a "real gamer" or a "real fan" unless you play on the hard difficulties. People are allowed to play games how they want to and if they want to play the game without worrying about their units dying that is entirely their business and no one else's. I really don't get why people want to take options away from players, especially options that help keep your favorite games alive.

As someone who started FE by playing RD, I would've really appreciated a casual mode! xD

I have a tough time understanding why anyone would be against having the option of playing on Casual Mode.  Cornguy is the only person I've seen that has brought up a good point about its removal (the notion that the game is balanced around the existence of Casual Mode), but everyone else just seems to hate it simply because it's "too easy".  Well guess what?  Not everything is supposed to be catered to your tastes.  Some people (like I myself) started the series on Casual Mode, and if it wasn't for that I might not have been able to dive into the series so quickly.  I might not have even dove into the series, and while I know some people say they're worried that the games would be too easy for newcomers, I am one of those cases where Classic mode only would have possibly dissuaded me from continuing.  Everyone is different, and that's why options are typically a good thing in video games.

And there are many benefits to Casual Mode beyond helping ease players in.  With Casual Mode, I can quickly create Einherjar units for either the purposes of avatar-only runs or for acquiring all the skills for certain units.  Classic Mode makes that process much more tedious, as you always need to reach a certain point and you'll need to actually worry about your units dying.  Casual is very useful for setting up themed challenge runs that require Einherjar usage.

It's fine as long as the game is balanced around Classic, it keeps players with anxiety over permadeath from feeling isolated.

It should stay, now i myself don't use it, but i do know some people like to play FE differently, so i would never wish for it to be removed. 

Really as long as it's optional, i truly don't see why anyone would want it gone.

Edited by Rose482

I play on casual because I want to enjoy the game I'm playing and resetting every time a unit dies and playing the chapter over again isn't fun. That is different for every person, but it should stay because there are people out there like me who don't enjoy the hard difficulty of permadeath.