Final Interview from Nintendo Dream (spoilers)

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

He does have daggers in Heroes and Tellius thieves were the OG dagger wielding units; associating him with daggers now doesn't seem too out-there.

Olivia has a completely different style, whereas they'd be hard-pressed to make something different for Lon'qu.

Eh, I guess that's fair point. I forgot Warriors came out after Heroes, so I thought they hadn't had Dagger Gaius to base off of.

...I suppose. I'm more bothered by the fact that they're still using the 'too many Swords' card, instead of at least making full disclosure and saying 'too many similar Swords' to clarify for us. They do mention Lon'qu would have been very similar to Navarre, so it's better than the lack of clarification when they pulled 'too many Swords' as justification for not putting all the Lords in, but not by much.

12 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Representing the entire series would indeed have been impossible but a much better balance was very much possible. Had they given the newbies either Awakening or Fates, the Western veterans Elibe or Tellius and the Japanese Archenea then every group would have gotten something and as a result every group would have been happy. The biggest reason why things could get so toxic was because one group was so obviously getting snubbed. 

Don't pretend like Elibe or Tellius have nearly as big a fanbase as the 3DS games as a basis for something like this. They have popular characters sure, but as a whole Elibe & Tellius as much as I love them don't really hold a candle to Awakening, Fates & the Japanese love for Archenea as well as it being the Legacy deal.

If anything trying to appease everyone at the same time with a limited roster would have likely done more harm than good.

Edited by Jedi

I feel bad for my friend Nayuun because she's a really big Gaius fangirl and he pretty much got sidelined for Olivia for a rather bullshit reason (no daggers in Warriors, even though Daggers weren't even a thing in Awakening.)

I wonder if it was IntSys mandate that all thieves (& related classes) moving forward must use Daggers. It's a very unusual thing to specify as a reason not to do it considering at the time they were planning the characters fates had just come out and they weren't full aware of everything in Heroes, so...maybe?

I'm bummed they didnt have a Darios dlc like they planned. I actually did like the twins and seeing them rescue their friend would have been sweet, even if he didnt become playable.

also man, Usuda's commentary sure is....well he's a guy who's very up front, i suppose!

On 2018/5/4 at 7:39 AM, VincentASM said:
On 2018/5/4 at 7:30 AM, Etheus said:

And I am happy for the 1 million sales. That's great. I represent two of those copies myself. FEW is my most played Switch game. I've given the game positive reviews and word of mouth. But that does not mean that I should just accept the final word on the game being "it's all over. Dunno if there will be a sequel. Sorry if none of your favorite games were represented. Now let's talk about ass and legs."

I understand your frustration somewhat, but I think you're reading too much into things. It's just a fun little interview to discuss the newest DLC and tie up some loose ends ^^

With regards to a sequel, I feel like they want to leave it open-ended, like with Darios's fate. Besides, it's not like they can state "yes, we're definitely making a sequel!" without Nintendo and IS's permission. For bigger IPs, announcements have to made via the proper channels. The fact they're interested is already a good sign.

You know, I echo what this man says.

Do I have frustrations with FE Warriors? Yes.

Is it a fun game? Yes.

Do I give a shit about representation? Personally, no since the only thing that will make me absolutely ecstatic is Arden suplexing the hell out of Camilla.

Do I admit that I'm relatively happy as the known "dancer fetish" member that I have at least two of the characters I like in that class in the game? Yes.

But from the tone of your posts, it just seems like you're looking for something that was never there in the first place. People lashed out and were angry when the trailer came out and literally said "90% Fateswakening" understandably because their expectations were betrayed. Hell the Armor Break mechanic made me roll my eyes.

But why are you looking for things in a Japanese interview that won't obviously be there?

The fact that you even compared the roster to "holding key characters from the franchise hostage" makes me, an outsider to the whole debate, feel like you are too invested in character representation to the point that you're looking for a place to take it out on.

The series has had a more than a decade of irrelevancy except to hardcore fans to overcome. It wasn't surprising they went for a more recent roster with little sprinkling of fanservice to old fans.

I'm just happy frigging Caeda is there.

This is like... Half the reason I keep away from Warriors discussion.

It's like following the JP Twitter for Heroes and seeing English speakers spout out complaints while the rest of the JP players are grateful. And don't just think I'm saying the JP fan base doesn't complain.

They were savage when the 5th Lyn alt in Heroes came out.

Edited by shadowofchaos

On 5/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, Kahvi said:

Fascinating how they make it sound like the reaction to the game was overly positive, when as far as I'm aware the reaction was more like "it's okay". It is a bit annoying they talked about fan service so much rather than focusing on more interesting subjects, but this is Team Ninja we're talking about…

I am happy that they would clearly like to make a sequel. While I do enjoy the game, I just wish there was more to it in the base game (you know, more characters, less clones etc)

Yeah, overall reaction has been one of "It's fine, but not not really as good as we expected." Interestingly enough, I predicted that's how reception would ultimately go down. There's just too much overlap between Warriors and FE to truly make something unique out of the mashup unlike what Hyrule Warriors did. In fact, a lot of FE elements (like the Weapon Triangle) actually get in the way of the Warriors gameplay.

If they get around to doing a sequel, the cloning is the thing they need to deal with the most. Hyrule Warriors didn't have a single instance of it despite an increasingly ballooning cast. I also found enemy variety to be a bit lacking, the non-unique Captains having lackluster designs overall.

3 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Yeah, overall reaction has been one of "It's fine, but not not really as good as we expected." Interestingly enough, I predicted that's how reception would ultimately go down. There's just too much overlap between Warriors and FE to truly make something unique out of the mashup unlike what Hyrule Warriors did. In fact, a lot of FE elements (like the Weapon Triangle) actually get in the way of the Warriors gameplay.

Considering mainline Dynasty Warriors also uses a weapon triangle that's not accurate, Mainline DW has also used several features that FE:W did in its various incarnations. So it's much more natural of a combination that Hw could ever hope to be.

Hyrule Warriors decides to make a good chunk of maps a slow mess with its Boss enemies and the need for gimmicky side weapons and fairies.

Hyrule Warriors Zelda aspects are what put the game on the lower end for me in terms of Warriors games overall.

Reception of Warriors games has also been middling to worse from the gaming community at large from the franchises inception because of its hit and miss nature with people, especially critics and mainstream gamers.

Edited by Jedi

On 5/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, The DanMan said:

He does have daggers in Heroes and Tellius thieves were the OG dagger wielding units; associating him with daggers now doesn't seem too out-there.
Olivia has a completely different style, whereas they'd be hard-pressed to make something different for Lon'qu.

Eh, but in his core game he was a sword user.

On the Gaius: he used a sword in canon but makes significantly more sense as a dagger user like most thieves in the series are either in gameplay or in artwork/sprites.

On Lon'qu: Too similar to Navarre and Ryoma, both of which already have clones in the game.

On HW comparisons: It's like people forget Zelda is a much bigger franchise deserving of a higher BUDGET. And that it was a Wii U game from a time nintendo didn't care about how much time their games took to launch. FEW absolutely was going to have to launch in September in japan.

On people still complaining about non-focus games: This is for the better. Awakening, Fates and Archanea would be in this first game no matter how many things they wanted to include, and we saw fans being displeased with "how little" Archanea got. What you guys are asking is this, but for all branches of the series and no hope for a sequel until a decade from now.

On people complaining about fanservice: Olivia is a dancer in an action game. You can't avoid this conversation. KT didn't design Olivia.

To the person that thinks KT was the only party to blame for withholding Ike and Roy: LOL. IS and Nintendo were surely part of that. Everyone there would like a second game to print money out of.

The only thing that's pissing me off is the whole representation thing between FEW and HW

Zelda has an unfair advantage because 3 of it's characters appear in every Zelda title, while a 4th appears in a majority.

Taking them out, Zelda has 4 OC's, 3 TP, 3 OOT,  and 2 SS. They gain an additional 1 TP and 2 MM characters with the first DLC set (Not including anything past the first four DLC, as I think it's unfair to compare a game with 7 DLC packs and a full expansion to a game with 3 DLC packs)

Meanwhile, FEW has 2 OC's, 3 SD, 1 Gaiden, 1 Blazing Blade, 6 Awakening, 9 Fates, plus Anna. SD, Awakening, and Fates gain an additional 3 with DLC.