Rezzy Tries to Ironman FE Fates: Conquest

Rezzy

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

more like draconic Hax amirite?

In most runs, I inherit it onto most of my Gen 2 units.  Me limiting myself to just one skill takes away of a lot of the potential brokenness.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Draconic Hex is my go-to.

Okay. I feel it just doesn't help enough, though... (Incidentally, this fight is also exhibit A as to why seize objectives need to die and rejoin the stars; it's too damn luck-based. I dare say it rivals FE9 BK in terms of how luck based it is. (BLEEP) disgusting.)

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Okay. I feel it just doesn't help enough, though... (Incidentally, this fight is also exhibit A as to why seize objectives need to die and rejoin the stars; it's too damn luck-based. I dare say it rivals FE9 BK in terms of how luck based it is. (BLEEP) disgusting.)

How are Seize Objectives too luck based?  I find them better than rout maps or boss kill, since you can decide when to end it, rather than accidentally ending too early or being forced to kill every last enemy, which can either be tedious or riskier than one would like.

20 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

How are Seize Objectives too luck based?  I find them better than rout maps or boss kill, since you can decide when to end it, rather than accidentally ending too early or being forced to kill every last enemy, which can either be tedious or riskier than one would like.

I don't mean that bosses bosses in seize maps are too luck-based in general. Only that Takumi here takes it to such an extreme. How would you feel in a normal run if you got to him only to lose a unit because luck wasn't on your side? Oh wait, don't answer that, because I already know the answer, which is also my answer... FURIOUS! OUTRAGED!! SICK WITH ANGER!!! All told, he isn't the only one who is so infuriating.... Also, I would point out the part where you only had 50 hit on him with a Hadouken. That's like FE6-esque hit rates.

Edited by Shadow Mir

55 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

With their healing, we can't just whittle their HP down to manageable levels, and I'm just not willing to charge into this group without drawing them to me.

So, let's just end this.

What, but how will you face daddy Garon, with the shame of not killing some troops?

Or maybe you left them to him as a present?

23 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't mean that bosses bosses in seize maps are too luck-based in general. Only that Takumi here takes it to such an extreme. How would you feel in a normal run if you got to him only to lose a unit because luck wasn't on your side? Oh wait, don't answer that, because I already know the answer, which is also my answer... FURIOUS! OUTRAGED!! SICK WITH ANGER!!! All told he isn't the only one who is so infuriating....

They can be a bit annoying, although Conquest is pretty fair compared to Awakening.  In Lunatic+, some maps are outright unwinnable, if the enemy has certain skills.

2 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

What, but how will you face daddy Garon, with the shame of not killing some troops?

Or maybe you left them to him as a present?

I think I did enough killing for one day.

l7ek57o.jpg

Finally!

HUp6otY.jpg

Why is it okay to take prisoners now, but we were willing to attack our own troops to prevent Zola from doing it? @Julius Nepos

feLF9bT.jpg

On second thought, maybe we should just kill him now.

lOWTPMc.jpg

Takumi doesn't know how to be grateful.

zN0RXdC.jpg

Yep, all the milk you can drink.

qbzNihM.jpg

Elise can haunt both of you!

0MhVNtE.jpg

We want a nice present for Daddy Garon!

fLlLyN7.jpg09csLnn.jpg

Surrender now, and I might let you join my harem.

KrRmwtG.jpg

Hey, you guys kidnapped me.  Why would I choose you guys over the only family I've ever known?

ZoeNMsW.jpg

The paternity test came back negative.  You guys aren't my real family.

SFujnfW.jpg

Don't cry Takumi, I'm going to feel sorry for you.

qgebS7F.jpgo1HyQSb.jpgbhB2W5C.jpg

Well, is this wall more than three stories tall?

CjAnoSy.jpg1cvwvLj.jpg

"I need to kill him before he comes back to attack us again!"

otA9nQk.jpg

I thought Fates didn't have Fog of War.

2fdiI0A.jpg

Where do last remember having him?

Oh well, I doubt he's going to cause us anymore trouble.

Chapter 23 Complete!

Deaths: Oboro None

New Units: Rallyman!

And let's check in on old Rallyman before we adjourn for the night.

ZVa40Uy.jpg

Look at that delicious Rally Spectrum.  Too bad I don't think we can give him a third rally.  It's sad that it's only the captured units that seem to have good weapon ranks.

58 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

They can be a bit annoying, although Conquest is pretty fair compared to Awakening.  In Lunatic+, some maps are outright unwinnable, if the enemy has certain skills.

That's saying very little - after all, you brought up the single most bullshit difficulty in the series. Of course it's gonna look fair compared to that cancerous crap.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

zkzflCg.jpg

But that's the problem Forrest. Your inner strength doesn't do anything for you in a class that uses magic.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

AiQfYwP.jpg

Ah, so that's where Shura's Boots went.

Always in the last place you look, and where would you look later than a  chest on a wall in the middle of the country you were on your way to invade that the guy who had them hasn't been near up until now?

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

lqbV1su.jpg

I wonder why they just leave all their gold up on the battlement.

Between this, the fact there's stairs up, and the border seems non-existent in the games I'm going to guess some unscrupulous guards are taking bribes to let people through and kept their ill-earned gains up there. Kind of like that one guard at Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of time, but on a larger scale and without the vine to sneak around him.

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

zS9y0r2.jpg

Better tell Izana; he just joined us.

What if Takumi were responsible for Izana's death in revelations? The perfect crime.

Edited by Mad-manakete

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't mean that bosses bosses in seize maps are too luck-based in general. Only that Takumi here takes it to such an extreme. How would you feel in a normal run if you got to him only to lose a unit because luck wasn't on your side? Oh wait, don't answer that, because I already know the answer, which is also my answer... FURIOUS! OUTRAGED!! SICK WITH ANGER!!! All told, he isn't the only one who is so infuriating.... Also, I would point out the part where you only had 50 hit on him with a Hadouken. That's like FE6-esque hit rates.

then play chess.

There's no luck involved in that.

I mean to be serious, luck has been a part of FE for such a long time. Whiffing and getting blessed happen to both sides.  To be complaining about it at this point is like telling EA to have good business practices.

1 hour ago, Mister Rogers said:

then play chess.

There's no luck involved in that.

I mean to be serious, luck has been a part of FE for such a long time. Whiffing and getting blessed happen to both sides.  To be complaining about it at this point is like telling EA to have good business practices.

Luck being part of the game isn't something I have issue with. It's bullshit like FE6 Henning where you need astronomical amounts of luck to come out on top that makes my blood boil.

8 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

But that's the problem Forrest. Your inner strength doesn't do anything for you in a class that uses magic.

Always in the last place you look, and where would you look later than a  chest on a wall in the middle of the country you were on your way to invade that the guy who had them hasn't been near up until now?

Between this, the fact there's stairs up, and the border seems non-existent in the games I'm going to guess some unscrupulous guards are taking bribes to let people through and kept their ill-earned gains up there. Kind of like that one guard at Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of time, but on a larger scale and without the vine to sneak around him.

What if Takumi were responsible for Izana's death in revelations? The perfect crime.

It seems like he levels Strength an awful lot, too.  He's got a good Str from Azura, but not to the point where he should be only getting that.

Maybe that gold is all the gold we kept getting stolen from us in that chapter, too.

Maybe that's how Hoshido kept getting around Nohr so easily up until Chapter 17 or so.

And he was right there, too.  Why didn't we see this earlier?

It turns out that Camilla has great taste in food.

RfSJqWT.jpg

Before we continue our fratricide, we have some housekeeping in order.

ZgEG4I4.jpg

I didn't realize I had not yet given Nina a Skill, so I wanted to rectify that.  Boy, my last Nina turned out so much better than my current one is.

ijMCO4z.jpg

I didn't feel like waiting for Rallyman to be persuaded, so I bribed him with the Onyx and Cabbage or whatever it was that he wanted.

1aey6hq.jpg

We have Shura's long lost Boots to hand out, so we'll give it to our tankiest wittle dwagon to help him do his job better.

KF37XWx.jpg

Lastly, we'll give our Goddess Icon to Forrest, so he can hit things at least halfway decently.  Forrest is certainly benefiting from Azura's Strength growth, he only her Skill growth was helping.

Also, it happens to be Odin's birthday today, so Happy Birthday to my hubby!

11 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It turns out that Camilla has great taste in food.

RfSJqWT.jpg

Before we continue our fratricide, we have some housekeeping in order.

ZgEG4I4.jpg

I didn't realize I had not yet given Nina a Skill, so I wanted to rectify that.  Boy, my last Nina turned out so much better than my current one is.

ijMCO4z.jpg

I didn't feel like waiting for Rallyman to be persuaded, so I bribed him with the Onyx and Cabbage or whatever it was that he wanted.

1aey6hq.jpg

We have Shura's long lost Boots to hand out, so we'll give it to our tankiest wittle dwagon to help him do his job better.

KF37XWx.jpg

Lastly, we'll give our Goddess Icon to Forrest, so he can hit things at least halfway decently.  Forrest is certainly benefiting from Azura's Strength growth, he only her Skill growth was helping.

Also, it happens to be Odin's birthday today, so Happy Birthday to my hubby!

Any idea on who's getting the arms scrolls?

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Any idea on who's getting the arms scrolls?

I'm not sure, but I should probably use them soon.  I might give it to one of my people stuck at E-D rank on something, or give someone that extra push into A rank.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:10 PM, Rezzy said:

But Odin!

Tends to be astoundingly mediocre. And also has mixed opinions on him - some people think he's low or even bottom tier, whereas others swear by him.

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Tends to be astoundingly mediocre. And also has mixed opinions on him - some people think he's low or even bottom tier, whereas others swear by him.

I think he suffers because people try to make him a samurai, which is a mediocre class, unless you've got a 1-2 range prf weapon.

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I think he suffers because people try to make him a samurai, which is a mediocre class, unless you've got a 1-2 range prf weapon.

I dunno - even as a Dark Mage, the results I get from Odin tend to be uninspiring. His growths aren't exactly awe-inspiring - his best growths are HP, skill and luck, which aren't exactly the three stats I'd pick to have as my best stats. I would compare him to the Pokemon Pidgeot. Which means no matter what, there'll always be someone who outdoes him - he can't hit as hard as Ophelia or Leo, he can't take hits as well as Xander or Effie, and he's too slow to double much of anything that isn't an armor, which hurts his offense. He's accurate, but that's pretty much all he has going for him... Not helping is that Fates favours physically based units. The irony in this? Owain was in the opposite position in Awakening - magically biased, starts in a physical class, and in a game that favored magical units. 

TL;DR Odin's Roy-esque nature dooms him if he doesn't get good level ups early on.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Really? I have him as a Samurai in my current Conquest file, and he’s pretty good.

It may be my old-game biases showing, but sword-locked infantry units were never that high on my list.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno - even as a Dark Mage, the results I get from Odin tend to be uninspiring. His growths aren't exactly awe-inspiring - his best growths are HP, skill and luck, which aren't exactly the three stats I'd pick to have as my best stats. I would compare him to the Pokemon Pidgeot. Which means no matter what, there'll always be someone who outdoes him - he can't hit as hard as Ophelia or Leo, he can't take hits as well as Xander or Effie, and he's too slow to double much of anything that isn't an armor, which hurts his offense. He's accurate, but that's pretty much all he has going for him... Not helping is that Fates favours physically based units. The irony in this? Owain was in the opposite position in Awakening - magically biased, starts in a physical class, and in a game that favored magical units. 

TL;DR Odin's Roy-esque nature dooms him if he doesn't get good level ups early on.

I think I found Odin's niche in nostanking.  I think I switch just about everybody to a caster in Awakening.

10 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I think I found Odin's niche in nostanking.  I think I switch just about everybody to a caster in Awakening.

Which would mean something if (1) Odin could do enough damage to tank with it (remember what I said about Sol? The same goes for Nosferatu), and (2) this is the game where Nosferatu is at its worst since Path of Radiance, Blazing Blade, and Sacred Stones. There'a also the matter of cost - pissing away 4000 gold for a weapon that really isn't that great is not something I would take lightly.

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which would mean something if (1) Odin could do enough damage to tank with it (remember what I said about Sol? The same goes for Nosferatu), and (2) this is the game where Nosferatu is at its worst since Path of Radiance, Blazing Blade, and Sacred Stones. There'a also the matter of cost - pissing away 4000 gold for a weapon that really isn't that great is not something I would take lightly.

Nosferatu isn't downright broken like it was in Awakening, but it's still serviceable.  I think you get at least a free tome or two of Nosferatu in Conquest, so the price isn't a huge issue.

We join our heroes as they march into the Hoshidan capital, which may have a name, but I would not be surprised if it didn't.

MsVa7Oq.jpg

For one thing, I'll say that COnquest does have good pacing for the most part.  Revelations has a ton of stuff happening in the first half, and then really drags in the second half, and Birthright feels like it's really trying to stretch the little actual plot it has into a full story.

ridmz9c.jpgZ8cNnaU.jpg

Azura: My vengeance is nigh.  They shall rue the day they drove me away.

a2SFvdg.jpg

Your actions speak louder than words.  At least you seem to be willing to take prisoners now.

AfjOtGF.jpg

How the tables have turned, now they will be my prisoners.

OakQCvw.jpg

It's just a JRPG thing, the dead bodies always disappear after they are killed.

1tt0k3A.jpg

I guess mentally torturing Sakura is the new pastime.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nosferatu isn't downright broken like it was in Awakening, but it's still serviceable.  I think you get at least a free tome or two of Nosferatu in Conquest, so the price isn't a huge issue.

I don't remember a free Nosferatu being given to you... Well, outside of battle rewards, that is.And honestly, I don't tend to see situations where a Nosferatu Sorcerer would be a better option than using, say, Xander, Dragonstone Corrin, or a General.

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't remember a free Nosferatu being given to you... Well, outside of battle rewards, that is.And honestly, I don't tend to see situations where a Nosferatu Sorcerer would be a better option than using, say, Xander, Dragonstone Corrin, or a General.

Using Xander and Dragonstone Corrin doesn't preclude using a nostank, especially since not every Corrin is built to tank well.  It's nice to have multiple units capable of tanking hits.

Daddy Garon gives himself a triumph to celebrate the Hoshidan citizenry joining our glorious empire.

PasPUuo.jpgFRwTl61.jpg

Stop calling me a traitor; I was never on your side to begin with.

qigZ4lQ.jpg

Thank you for volunteering to commit harakiri, Iago.  Right now would be a good time.

lLUQccO.jpg

That can't be right.  Their modus operandi is to battle in front of their fortifications, not from inside them.

ZXdppm8.jpg

The Nohrian Army was too brave to accept their surrender.

gfkmgTd.jpg

tzxIb5r.jpg

Daddy Garon, why can't you be the fun sort of mad king, like the kind who thinks that he's made of glass.

is28x2y.jpg

Don't you have some seppuku to get to?

9xn7WgH.jpg

Go on...

UgEsRnB.jpg

@Julius Nepos I think Xander leans more towards legal positivism.

WlMjY4R.jpg

I wish we could have explored this philosophy with a bit less mustache twirling.

DNaGedj.jpg

I hate to bring it up again, but we didn't give Zola's plan much of a chance.

We go ahead and select our crew to bring down Hinoka.  Fliers are everywhere this map, so we want to bring every archer available, which for us is three: Laslow, Nina, and Niles.  We also want to load up on our own fliers, since Hinoka will be setting off the Dragon Vein to increase their movement.  Odin, Ophelia, and Xander will sit this one out.  The first two because there are lots of high Res enemies, and Xander because he is pondering the Nohrian legal system.

8Vo7TlP.jpg6DUTzN4.jpg

Rallyman will also be joining us today.  With his excellent weapon ranks, he's able to help himself to many weapons that my other units can't even use yet.