Rezzy Tries to Ironman FE Fates: Conquest

Rezzy

45 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Using Xander and Dragonstone Corrin doesn't preclude using a nostank, especially since not every Corrin is built to tank well.  It's nice to have multiple units capable of tanking hits.

Well, the Corrin build I prefer these days is Robust/Clumsy. As for Nostanking, that'd require taking less than half the damage you deal... which I don't trust either of the sorcerers in this game to do between Odin the Master of None, Nyx the frail, and Ophelia, who's dependent on her mother.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, the Corrin build I prefer these days is Robust/Clumsy. As for Nostanking, that'd require taking less than half the damage you deal... which I don't trust either of the sorcerers in this game to do between Odin the Master of None, Nyx the frail, and Ophelia, who's dependent on her mother.

I can never remember for sure which adjectives correspond with which stats.

My Odin has gotten good, but not great level-ups.  His Defense works to his niche, and although his speed isn't great, it's high enough to prevent him from getting doubled most of the time, and since Nosferatu can't double anyway, it's not a major drawback for him.

Selena gets some mother-daughter bonding time, baiting the mages to our west.

qHMbY1j.jpg

Us moving forward seems to trigger a scene.

dKp3oE2.jpg

Azama, you magnificent bastard.  What is it with you and the Hexing Rod?

81murGt.jpg

Oh, here's Hinoka's scene.  I thought I had accidentally hit a skip button, when I didn't see it in the opening to this chapter.

0SkjUMp.jpg

I wasn't really hard to find per se.  I was just locked in a fortress.  But Shura kidnapped Azura for you, at least.

eAt7p1y.jpg

We return to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

bXnlLhJ.jpg

Maybe it's negative memory bias, but I think the majority of my units have been getting below average to downright RNG screwed.  Looking at my unit logbook, from previous playthroughs, I have several with multiple capped stats, and none of mine are even close to that level right now.

otLUaXQ.jpg

Well, when life gives you lemons, make a face like that.

4OE6kX6.jpg

We'll take a pretty hard hit, but if all goes to plan, there won't be enemies in range at the end of this phase.

ewUoHH9.jpg

This looks like a job for the Nohrian Royal Air Force.

XVL5EAY.jpg

Percy seems to be one of my few RNG blessed units.  Or maybe he's always like this.  I've never used him before.  Even then, he's only got one stat above 30, though.

LOCzpza.jpg

I'm glad I remembered that Beast KIllers worked on Kinshi Knights.

7vqhxPh.jpg

Giving Nina Trample is paying dividends.  Why didn't I do this earlier?

u4M1LnM.jpg

These Kinshi need to die.

QuSOIf9.jpg

Hinoka doesn't really put much thought into activating her Dragon Vein, does she?

yZcAUem.jpg

Now that we've cleared the infantry at our starting area, we'll activate this vein to keep the numerous enemy fliers from flying across half the map and swarming our weaker units.

Jumping on this playthough near the end and just skimming through some stuff. Can someone tell me what units have died and under what circumstances? Kaze and Beruka are the only ones I've found so far. Also I think it's cool that you're actually using capture and my mind's going crazy now wondering if you can use capture on the Inevitable End ninjas.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Jumping on this playthough near the end and just skimming through some stuff. Can someone tell me what units have died and under what circumstances? Kaze and Beruka are the only ones I've found so far. Also I think it's cool that you're actually using capture and my mind's going crazy now wondering if you can use capture on the Inevitable End ninjas.

Kaze didn't die (or I missed it if he did). The ones who did die were Silas (frozen), Mozu (Mistakes were made - by which I mean carelessly attacking Kilma when he was under half HP), Nyx (couldn't dodge some oni savages), Beruka (crithaxed - the crit itself didn't do her in, but it weakened her enough to let another enemy finish her off), and Elise (one of the reinforcements in paralogue 15 got to her). Also, you can capture the Inevitable End ninjas, albeit with the caveat that it gets removed once they are captured.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Silas died on the Ice Tribe chapter after being frozen and swarmed by enemies.

Mozu died on the same chapter because the boss had Vantage and I forgot to check his skills.

Nyx died on Chapter 10 after getting hit by multiple low percentage hits when the canals drained.

Beruka died in Kana's paralogue after getting hit by a 1% crit followed by a normal hit, since the crit alone wasn't enough to kill her.

Elise died in Siegbert's paralogue from a ~49% hit one shot her from the endless reinforcements that give no XP.

Kaze is actually still alive.  He just got benched, because Selena and Arthur were turning out to be better dagger units, and if Kaze doesn't get a few Strength level-ups early, he deals pitiful damage.

I would be surprised if it let you use Inevitable End.  You may be able to capture them, and have their skill disappear once you recruit them.

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Kaze didn't die (or I missed it if he did). The ones who did die were Silas (frozen), Mozu (Mistakes were made - by which I mean carelessly attacking Kilma when he was under half HP), Nyx (couldn't dodge some oni savages), Beruka (crithaxed - the crit itself didn't do her in, but it weakened her enough to let another enemy finish her off), and Elise (one of the reinforcements in paralogue 15 got to her). Also, you can capture the Inevitable End ninjas, albeit with the caveat that it gets removed once they are captured.

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Silas died on the Ice Tribe chapter after being frozen and swarmed by enemies.

Mozu died on the same chapter because the boss had Vantage and I forgot to check his skills.

Nyx died on Chapter 10 after getting hit by multiple low percentage hits when the canals drained.

Beruka died in Kana's paralogue after getting hit by a 1% crit followed by a normal hit, since the crit alone wasn't enough to kill her.

Elise died in Siegbert's paralogue from a ~49% hit one shot her from the endless reinforcements that give no XP.

Kaze is actually still alive.  He just got benched, because Selena and Arthur were turning out to be better dagger units, and if Kaze doesn't get a few Strength level-ups early, he deals pitiful damage.

I would be surprised if it let you use Inevitable End.  You may be able to capture them, and have their skill disappear once you recruit them.

Yeah, I dont expect they would let you have it. Even though it wouldn't actually be that broken in the player's hands, since killing is simpler than debuff most of the time, and just debuffing to the cap will be more than enough if you do need to. Plus the whole only two chapters left in the game at that point thing. Now if you could get one of the staff savant maids on the other hand, that would be hax.

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Daddy Garon gives himself a triumph to celebrate the Hoshidan citizenry joining our glorious empire.

PasPUuo.jpg

I think that this needs a military march playing in the background.

It's picture-perfect propaganda!

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

lLUQccO.jpg

That can't be right.  Their modus operandi is to battle in front of their fortifications, not from inside them.

Well, they're not waiting inside the throne room are they?

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Odin, Ophelia, and Xander will sit this one out.  The first two because there are lots of high Res enemies, and Xander because he is pondering the Nohrian legal system.

"But what if justice is not an illusion?"

Meanwhile Odin and Ophelia are huddled arguing who's the more prodigious mage.

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

6DUTzN4.jpg

Rallyman will also be joining us today.  With his excellent weapon ranks, he's able to help himself to many weapons that my other units can't even use yet.

Rallyman: the hero we didn't deserve but got anyway.

...So watching this has reminded me why despite all the goofy, over-the-top characters and bad writing--I really do love the general design and the gameplay of the conquest campaign. This past week I've gotten back into Fates again and done a Lunatic Conquest playthrough with nothing but basic content + path bonuses for buying fates and revelations (i.e. the boots, the dragon herbs, the dread scrolls, and the ebon wings) 

Just to make it a bit harder for myself--not visiting any MyCastles or using the skill purchase feature. 

Up to Sakura's Map. Closing in on the silly, silly end-game of fucking Hoshido to death in the name of peace and justice.

Its been--a weird run. First time I've ever seen Camilla get legitimately RNG screwed on growths to the point of becoming a bad unit by the midgame. (But exact opposite of Rezzy's run--my Beruka got ridiculously strength-blessed and turned into one of my best units)

Paired Beruka with Benny--VIP team right there.

Oh--and Nina actually turned out pretty good for a change, coming off of a Niles x Felicia pairing. (i.e decent magic + res and speed on top of res and speed on top of res and speed). Inherited Felicia's tomebreaker + went into the adventurer class and got enough magic growth from Momma Felicia to make good use of the Shining Bow.

Heals, one-shots fliers, doubles for magic damage against most physical units, and eats mages for breakfast. 

(never tried the Niles x Beruka pairing myself, but Momma Beruka doesn't really seem to be doing a whole lot for her) 

Edited by Shoblongoo

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I dont expect they would let you have it. Even though it wouldn't actually be that broken in the player's hands, since killing is simpler than debuff most of the time, and just debuffing to the cap will be more than enough if you do need to. Plus the whole only two chapters left in the game at that point thing. Now if you could get one of the staff savant maids on the other hand, that would be hax.

I guess Inevitable End might help with some of the last few bosses, but as you mentioned, if you're hitting the same enemy 3-4 times anyway, they're usually already dead.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

I think that this needs a military march playing in the background.

It's picture-perfect propaganda!

Well, they're not waiting inside the throne room are they?

"But what if justice is not an illusion?"

Meanwhile Odin and Ophelia are huddled arguing who's the more prodigious mage.

Rallyman: the hero we didn't deserve but got anyway.

I can't think of anything to add, but I love your comments.

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

...So watching this has reminded me why despite all the goofy, over-the-top characters and bad writing--I really do love the general design and the gameplay of the conquest campaign. This past week I've gotten back into Fates again and done a Lunatic Conquest playthrough with nothing but basic content + path bonuses for buying fates and revelations (i.e. the boots, the dragon herbs, the dread scrolls, and the ebon wings) 

Just to make it a bit harder for myself--not visiting any MyCastles or using the skill purchase feature. 

Up to Sakura's Map. Closing in on the silly, silly end-game of fucking Hoshido to death in the name of peace and justice.

Its been--a weird run. First time I've ever seen Camilla get legitimately RNG screwed on growths to the point of becoming a bad unit by the midgame. (But exact opposite of Rezzy's run--my Beruka got ridiculously strength-blessed and turned into one of my best units)

Paired Beruka with Benny--VIP team right there.

Oh--and Nina actually turned out pretty good for a change, coming off of a Niles x Felicia pairing. (i.e decent magic + res and speed on top of res and speed on top of res and speed). Inherited Felicia's tomebreaker + went into the adventurer class and got enough magic growth from Momma Felicia to make good use of the Shining Bow.

Heals, one-shots fliers, doubles for magic damage against most physical units, and eats mages for breakfast. 

(never tried the Niles x Beruka pairing myself, but Momma Beruka doesn't really seem to be doing a whole lot for her) 

Glad to hear my LP inspired you.  Camilla seems to do that a lot for me.  She's not exactly bad, but her bases and growths being what they are, you'd expect her to be MVP.  Beruka usually does pretty well for me, starting off as a discount Camilla, but surpassing her once she promotes, except this time when was was seriously RNG screwed.

My last two Ninas were way better than this one.  I had her with Elise and Camilla as moms previously.

Let's let Gazak do what he does best.

ZnYDiTo.jpg

Now that we've increased the infantry movement range, the mages are free to swarm Rezzi.

ZM3oSr2.jpg

It also lets us swarm their fliers.

5w3UQjF.jpgZlAU0BC.jpg

My Selena and several of my units in general have been getting severely RNG screwed, but at least her core stats are decent.

UfLbDVK.jpgXVa0GUq.jpg

Yeah, that 15/14 offensive stats.

LWAvQ1K.jpgpGzy090.jpg

Yay Strength!  Nina has been upgraded to merely mediocre.

Time to finish off the eastern flank.  I always seem to remember Laslow being bulkier than he actually is.

10TEF89.jpg

And now back to the island.

e48VZcZ.jpgIRUjswX.jpgmZ3Xeiy.jpgopUZ5hu.jpg

Yes, a decent level up for Camilla, and she also gets Trample, one of the best skills in Conquest.

5NAh1FB.jpg

Leo also levels from the combat.  Not quite as good as Camilla's but 4 stats is 4 stats.

zkNV6v8.jpgykxb329.jpg

Laslow only gets 3 stats this time around, but Strength and Skill gives him a better spread than Leo just got himself.

I'm glad the Hunter's Knife actually works as intended, unless some other effective weapons that shall remain nameless.

uTMDJwS.jpg

And we brace for enemy phase.

gqYgOWy.jpgStE54z5.jpgxCFLhOC.jpg

Operation Let Them Come to Us continues.

BldfCXM.jpgolcWpTE.jpgeRqKYnO.jpg

Very nice, Soleil

NDcbZIq.jpgYwBQKme.jpg

Draconic Hex+Rallyman is very nice.

3FiKHlp.jpg

Yeah, we need to kill these guys now.

lXHeULs.jpgDCJuVCt.jpgNqwXv5g.jpg

Very Gazak level up.

eJHMQ4W.jpg

We need to take these two out in one phase.  If anyone doesn't go down, they'll swoop down and kill Rezzi.

asijgM0.jpgZCk00aQ.jpg

Okay level-up, I suppose.

PGL0qzO.jpg

Having 100% hit rate is nice.

Our plan is going well, with the enemies coming to us in manageable chunks.  We have another batch right at our starting location.

wTHhYwO.jpgUwe7a0N.jpg

It's surprising how much better Nina is after getting a few Strength/Magic level-ups.

7Hw3Zzx.jpg5HpfZxy.jpg

That was easy.  We decide to capture one of these Pass Falcon Knights, because it might come in handy for the last chapter.  I don't remember if it lets you switch in units between the last two chapters.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't let you save.
UUgAC0N.jpgXyv29HH.jpg

Compare Niles's stats with the generic enemy's stats he just captured.  Aren't the playable characters supposed to be better?

VDqKwB1.jpg

I think that Falcon Knight has a better chance of being fielded in the last chapter than Niles does.

mqScTvZ.jpg

Now we aren't going to activate this Dragon Vein just yet, but we'll sit Kana here, in case we decide we want to.  It's funny, but we've barely moved from our starting location yet.

LnzUHjZ.jpg3q8GSoU.jpgoBushMR.jpg

These guys sure are bulky for Peg Knights.

h8AyYYU.jpgye6giGE.jpg

Now that Camilla has gotten Trample, it's time to switch back to Wyvern Lord.

W9xebof.jpg

I think the reinforcements have finally stopped.  This map showed just how little we've actually moved yet.

ie4UoHY.jpg

Now this jerk is the bane of our existence.  He has not one, but two Hexing Rods.  Having potentially six of our units with permanently halved HP is a recipe for disaster, so we'll have to proceed carefully.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I don't remember if it lets you switch in units between the last two chapters.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't let you save.

I'm pretty sure you can.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

UUgAC0N.jpgXyv29HH.jpg

Compare Niles's stats with the generic enemy's stats he just captured.  Aren't the playable characters supposed to be better?

....How unfortunate

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

ie4UoHY.jpg

Now this jerk is the bane of our existence.  He has not one, but two Hexing Rods.  Having potentially six of our units with permanently halved HP is a recipe for disaster, so we'll have to proceed carefully.

.....Asshatis close. Oh no.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm pretty sure you can.

....How unfortunate

.....Asshatis close. Oh no.

That's good, since there may be a casualty or two on Garon's chapter.

Yeah, this may be the last time Niles gets fielded.

He had a Hexing Rod the last time we saw him, too.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Shitmaster Squintgrin shall forever burn in hell or whatever the Hoshidan equivalent is. Kill all who even thinks of touching a hexing rod.

I'm dreading once we get to Iago's infinite Hexing Rod.

28 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

At least Iago gets canonically killed, unlike Assama Bin Laden.

One can dream.

After some deliberation, we nominate Nina to take one for the team and try to drain Azama's Hex charges.

Y2Wd0bj.jpg

She has high Res and Luck, so she should have a high avoid rate, and if she is hit, she should not be taking hits anyway.  Elise would have been ideal here, but I can't seem to find her anywhere.

Grnfcu6.jpg

Rather meh level-up for Azura, but maybe it's a good thing she stops hogging all the good level ups.  Reminder that 27 HP is after the Angelic Robe.

izsw5eu.jpg

One charge down... It missed, thanks to Nina's native stats and Rallystacking from Azura and Rallyman.

1A9c2JF.jpg

Halfway there, Nina is still unaffected.

Gpa0Pv1.jpgyqeRR9q.jpg

With Azama's sixth and final Hex Rod charge, he finally hits Nina, but her brave sacrifice will allow us to proceed without fear of our frontliners being pretty much useless for the rest of the map.

JuBZxvU.jpg

One shotting Setsuna would be a nice start.

6duOafq.jpg4x2E40q.jpg

It's good to know your mediocrity translates to enemy status as well.

3W1vjq5.jpg

Not a terrible level up, but looking at the character growth rates, considering that most units will have rates around 50% on average with class rates taken into account, it's amazing just how many 2-3 stat-up levels I've been getting this playthrough.

KtlDlfl.jpg

Rezzi can fly down here and choke this point.

6xCSoeJ.jpgRggJwNK.jpg

Nice plan to fly in with the fliers then switch over to foot units.

ytel3fa.jpgOjxNFDq.jpg

Time for enemy phase.

zw55ZQq.jpgzTlJBsO.jpg

It's odd when the four stat level ups seem great.

Time to dog pile the fliers.

UmQMABF.jpgfEFTmq4.jpgFDXHNvz.jpgHmVt4LO.jpgAYg1vEe.jpgTmYsmIg.jpg

Siegbert has a 65% Strength growth and only has 25 Strength at level.  I wonder if the few units that seem to be blessed are just ones that haven't been completely stat screwed.

I think there'll be death, destruction, and diarrhea in the near future... If not here, then somewhere in the next few chapters.

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I think there'll be death destruction and diarrhea in the near future... If not here, then somewhere in the next few chapters.

Maybe

k8yhXnG.jpgN0fRO3i.jpg

Better

y6jfe2U.jpgyXmhojD.jpg

Time to switch.

H37ptm0.jpgGzP5DYs.jpgRiCkVs9.jpgtaGe4i3.jpg

I think that's the first 5+ stat level up since Camilla at the beginning of the chapter.

TlDndgT.jpgXlheKPM.jpg

Time to neuter the Peg Knights again.

cQIAspn.jpgW8W4gAK.jpgmH1W7b3.jpg

At least he got Strength?

ffyA1Ei.jpg

Dance and repeat

wOG7G5K.jpgWQRSOlF.jpg

Stop it

6PVo3V2.jpgeLUNbxE.jpgof8bAb5.jpghSjY39n.jpg

Finally!  At least someone can get a good level-up today.

rXA8r2Y.jpgety4VYG.jpg

I guess I spoke too soon.

Soleil will take out out a Peg Knight and take her clothes away as an added bonus.

UVMVqVC.jpgc15zwwp.jpg

We have reached the final(?) push of this map.  (The info about when reinforcements come has been inconsistent in the wiki, to be honest.)

We have our troops all lined up and ready to go.

YmlfRRV.jpg

Gazak, end him!

qMIRACr.jpg

I agree, anyone who uses Hexing Rods must die.

ViUUp6A.jpgV5jZdli.jpg

We have a loose end to resolve.

flVhkg5.jpg

You first.

HdW626v.jpg

I thought about going straight for Hinoka, but it's too risky for any of my units, so we need to take out all her friends first.

97ch72V.jpgHxOCjDi.jpgVUtl3XR.jpg

Oh, goodie, more friends have joined us.

QAbc9KO.jpg

At least we have another Dragon Vein, still.

PM5fBcR.jpgmBAmJQk.jpgNRFJRJP.jpg4lMDBrA.jpg

Thank you Soleil, it's nice to know someone can get decent level-ups.

Camilla has overcome her underpowered phase from earlier in this LP.

1FuRxG0.jpgupMQWcz.jpg

Very nice, Camilla.

NnZUaGY.jpgNyok9QA.jpg

Nice Magic level-up there.

Ry3WCZn.jpgAxRSiBM.jpg

Good thing I have a full shield gauge, or I wouldn't try this.

98kyEIF.jpgxtRlgv8.jpg

Siegbert's first good level-up in a while. @Michelaar

acD58VY.jpgDAarhf1.jpg

Rezzi swoops over the trees to take out this Kinshi Knight.  I hope this hits, because I'd rather not divert more units this way.

vFUbwZA.jpg

Yet more reinforcements.  I'm not sure when they're supposed to end, to be honest.

t02m6Eo.jpg

This was just weird.  The Peg Knights all flew up towards me, but none of them attacked.  I don't know if it was a glitch in the AI, or if they have some sort of cunning plan that involves a false sense of security.

X1XLZ1T.jpg

Well, let's not look a gift horse (pegasus?) in the mouth and take the free XP at face value.

OUO9DtR.jpgRKpkfB7.jpgMkcf8Bw.jpgoh2kNAx.jpg

I'm debating whether to class change Leo after he hits level 35.

dyTqIEm.jpgs4GXfTK.jpgLpxBJsq.jpg

Don't complain Severa, that's the best level-up you've gotten in a while.

3aML4y7.jpgOLWvSvL.jpg

Azura steals another good level-up from dancing one of her sons.

jBm56MX.jpgWpcuFxl.jpg

Hey, mom want to switch level-ups?

gvRe3R1.jpg

Okay, Hinoka, are you done calling in your buddies, now?

Okay, time to try and take out Hinoka.  With a little luck, maybe we can take her out in one round.

QG7XYP2.jpgEPexLV0.jpgpUhwzRL.jpgTwjR2t2.jpg

Yeah, of course she survives.  Since Soleil has that full shield gauge, I think I'll just let her sit there.

67Mfc7L.jpgrEgr4ot.jpgKdESczL.jpg

Ah yes, they can switch.  Time to move in.

dGfAZ4L.jpg5xNgxhJ.jpg

Now down to just Hinoka, for real this time.

13rEbFI.jpgqQBZoDf.jpg

Maybe if you guys had spent more time fortifying your borders and less marching around terrifying Nohr's populace, this could have been prevented.

63JSfVU.jpg

Percy continues to be blessed.

cQWMYow.jpg

All that's left is to seize.  I do enjoy that anyone can seize now.  It makes things a lot easier.

4KmMDGl.jpg

Next stop, Ryoma.

Have fun with the corridor of death. I've honestly never done the next chapter the intended way. I've tried, and I've managed to beat each half of it independently, but something bullshit always screws me over in the end after sinking over an hour into it (the worst being when the floor drops and Ryoma can suddenly proc astra and 1 round Corrin). Killing Ryoma is always just so much easier than dealing with inevitable end.

4 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nice Magic level-up there.

This was just weird.  The Peg Knights all flew up towards me, but none of them attacked.

Beruka’s genes shining through!

Is it the standard Conquest thing of “0 damage, coward mode on”?

Since we're stepping into the belly of the beast, I wonder... Will Rezzy not risk it, or will she press her luck with Inevitable End?