Rezzy Tries to Ironman FE Fates: Conquest

Rezzy

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Imo beating Ryoma is not cheese at all. I think that chapter is intended as a duel, with the actual chapter being a fall-back in case your Corrin is not able to win. Kinda how RD put Ike on a +10def tile and give him nihil on promotion to make sure that the BK pretty much does not stand a chance. Duels are kinda difficult to make right in a srpg(case in point, Ramza vs Wiegraf in FFT) so if you really want to put one in ganeplay, it will likely be a low point of the game.

The thing is though that they made the entire rest of the map way too tedious and difficult in comparison to the duel. The Black Knight one is much better as you're actively racing to either keep Ike alive or to get the WIshblade before Ike kills the Black Knight (depending on your stats). In that chapter both aspects of the chapter provide equal investment. While with Ryoma simply killing him and avoiding the lunching inevitable end ninjas is way  easier and preferable. Not to mention even if you do clear the chapter legitimately, the floor nerfing both Ryoma and Corrin disappears without warning and suddenly he has the ability to one round Corrin using Astra or Rend Heaven (this happened to me and it's the thing I have the most salt over in perhaps any Fire Embelm experience).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The thing is though that they made the entire rest of the map way too tedious and difficult in comparison to the duel. The Black Knight one is much better as you're actively racing to either keep Ike alive or to get the WIshblade before Ike kills the Black Knight (depending on your stats). In that chapter both aspects of the chapter provide equal investment. While with Ryoma simply killing him and avoiding the lunching inevitable end ninjas is way  easier and preferable. Not to mention even if you do clear the chapter legitimately, the floor nerfing both Ryoma and Corrin disappears without warning and suddenly he has the ability to one round Corrin using Astra or Rend Heaven (this happened to me and it's the thing I have the most salt over in perhaps any Fire Embelm experience).

Inevitable End really killed the joy in that chapter for me.  That makes it go from a challenge to just unfair, since literally none of my units could have any chance of tanking those hits without dying.

Iago's chapter's gimmick of Stave Savant is close, at least coupled with the Hexing Rod.

53 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That makes me think, the Ryoma duel is just as bullshit as the PoR BK duel, if not more so. You either take a long time grinding him down because the floor makes you and him both take piddle damage (not that the game tells you this, of course), or (assuming you can defeat Saizo and/or Kagero) the fight becomes a huge case of Russian Roulette if you use the Dragon Vein. Either way, it's luck-based to a massive extreme, which is just dumb.

Edited by Shadow Mir

41 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Inevitable End really killed the joy in that chapter for me.  That makes it go from a challenge to just unfair, since literally none of my units could have any chance of tanking those hits without dying.

Iago's chapter's gimmick of Stave Savant is close, at least coupled with the Hexing Rod.

It basically requires you to burn through turns waiting for the stat debuffs to war off which increases the tedium tenfold (either that or you just press on and accept that the unit in question is effectively dead or pair up fodder for the next ten turns or so and similarly lose another unit with each engagement). Having it so stat debuffs recover after one turn in Heroes was an excellent idea. Inevitable End wouldn't be half as scary if it didn't last for basically the entire chapter.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That makes me think, the Ryoma duel is just as bullshit as the PoR BK duel, if not more so. You either take a long time grinding him down because the floor makes you and him both take piddle damage (not that the game tells you this, of course), or (assuming you can defeat Saizo and/or Kagero) the fight becomes a huge case of Russian Roulette if you use the Dragon Vein. Either way, it's luck-based to a massive extreme, which is just dumb.

I'd say it's more tedious or luck based. Chipping away at Ryoma for a few turns with a long range healer or elixir on hand isn't massively unreliable. Ryoma stands very little chance of killing you as Astra is only dealing like six damage or something (Rend Heaven maybe at bit more, but he probably can't one round your Corrin in any case).

And to give some credit to the Black Knight battle in Path of Radiance, while it's entirely luck based, with Aether on Ike's side, the odds are in the players favor. I've never been struck with a Luna and lost the battle, though I can imagine it is pretty annoying, especially with how they don't let you save in between the fights.

Speaking of duels, here's one I would have liked to have seen.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'd say it's more tedious or luck based. Chipping away at Ryoma for a few turns with a long range healer or elixir on hand isn't massively unreliable. Ryoma stands very little chance of killing you as Astra is only dealing like six damage or something (Rend Heaven maybe at bit more, but he probably can't one round your Corrin in any case).

And to give some credit to the Black Knight battle in Path of Radiance, while it's entirely luck based, with Aether on Ike's side, the odds are in the players favor. I've never been struck with a Luna and lost the battle, though I can imagine it is pretty annoying, especially with how they don't let you save in between the fights.

Physic has limited range (I don't think it can reach Corrin if they're in a position to attack Ryoma, at least during the grace period where Ryoma doesn't move), and Elixirs only have one use, to say nothing of the limited quantity of them. I'll grant that barring massive streaks of bad luck, you won't die, but it's still mega tedious since a whiffed hit means that whatever damage you dealt previously gets healed off almost completely.  Assuming you even hit, that is (Ryoma only heals 2 HP every turn, but considering that you're likely dealing 4 or 5 without crits or skills...). And don't get me started on if Corrin is unable to hold their own against Ryoma for whatever reason...

I suppose, but there's the fact that freaking healers spawn several turns in - some difficulties even have two; needless to say, Mist can only kill one a turn (assuming you raised her, that is).

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"My goal is to be done by the end of April/sometime in early May, so that depends on when your break is."

Looks like it is on track- back in January it added three, another four on March 10th, another five, the latest batch, on March 27th. That is a fairly rapid pace and quite recently. And again, it is only the last five (plus the ending) out of a total of 35 chapters (it's 25 + 8 side chapters + a route split lasting 2 chapters). Hopefully it isn't a ton of words to go through (although it does include the ending).

Well, at least for the ending itself (not counting unlockable conversations), it's not all that long. Really, the question will be if the character endings and those extra conversations.

I could see it being out by May.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:32 PM, Shadow Mir said:

It's also a bit silly that Ryoma just patiently sits there for 20 turns, breaking the immersion a bit.

On 4/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, Jotari said:

It basically requires you to burn through turns waiting for the stat debuffs to war off which increases the tedium tenfold (either that or you just press on and accept that the unit in question is effectively dead or pair up fodder for the next ten turns or so and similarly lose another unit with each engagement). Having it so stat debuffs recover after one turn in Heroes was an excellent idea. Inevitable End wouldn't be half as scary if it didn't last for basically the entire chapter.

Speaking of duels, here's one I would have liked to have seen.

That would have been nice if your Alm was RNG blessed, but losing like that would really stink, and might be unwinnable, if there wasn't a "way-out" like the BK fight.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:17 AM, Dayni said:

Well, at least for the ending itself (not counting unlockable conversations), it's not all that long. Really, the question will be if the character endings and those extra conversations.

I could see it being out by May.

Character endings aren't too big a deal, if not included, since I can easily read those later.  I know reading a script is an open during gameplay as well, but it's much harder to try to match that up while playing.

Back to our unfinished business

0m9iWK3.jpg

I guess that spell didn't quite finish him off.

jF7DApI.jpg

Dignity and Iago should be uttered in the same breath.

Ypkok7U.jpg

This argument would hold more weight if you didn't spend the last 28 chapters whining that we weren't following them the way you wanted.

uXUu9pA.jpg

Thanks Leo

cONMLrZ.jpg

But I repeat myself

urpUERB.jpg

I wish, we've still got the little matter of Daddy Garon...

L48nX5F.jpg

Better late than never

Ze0JIh2.jpg

No, just the slime monster that's using his hollowed husk as a suit and making a mockery of his legacy.

w875yNX.jpg

No Rezzi, you haven't died, otherwise we wouldn't be here right now.  Though you did forget Elise, Beruka, Nyx, Mozu, and Silas.

It's also funny she doesn't care about Takumi.

cUK1BM4.jpg

Maybe Azura should have grabbed another one of those Lens of Truths.

Q2L2CZu.jpg

To be fair, with the amount of people who turn into dragons in this universe, that isn't the most damning accusation.  It's almost a disappointment if your king doesn't have some second evolved form.

23 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

jF7DApI.jpg

Dignity and Iago should be uttered in the same breath.

*shouldn't

24 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

w875yNX.jpg

No Rezzi, you haven't died, otherwise we wouldn't be here right now.  Though you did forget Elise, Beruka, Nyx, Mozu, and Silas.

It's also funny she doesn't care about Takumi.

I mean, would you?

24 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Q2L2CZu.jpg

To be fair, with the amount of people who turn into dragons in this universe, that isn't the most damning accusation.  It's almost a disappointment if your king doesn't have some second evolved form.

Only Corrin/Kana have shown it and everyone knows Garon ain't their biological (Grand)dad. There also isn't much else in terms of people turning into dragons barring Lilith besides. So it might be a little damming if Garon turns out to be a slime all along.

It'd also only really be a disappointment in Tellius, what with all the Laguz Royals.

But it would explain his cackling and worship of the (imo) worst thing in FE.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

It's also a bit silly that Ryoma just patiently sits there for 20 turns, breaking the immersion a bit.

That would have been nice if your Alm was RNG blessed, but losing like that would really stink, and might be unwinnable, if there wasn't a "way-out" like the BK fight.

Character endings aren't too big a deal, if not included, since I can easily read those later.  I know reading a script is an open during gameplay as well, but it's much harder to try to match that up while playing.

Alm has access to the convoy healing, shields, bows, Double Lion and (in that particular video) a +40 avoid Healing Tile. With all those assets and bearing in mind you can grind, I'm pretty confident even the most RNG screwed 1/20 Alm would stand a chance at winning at even the most rng blessed Celica (provided her AI is coded so she only ever attacks with the sword instead of magic). It'd be at least as equal to the chance of Ike not being able to beat the Black Knight in Radiant Dawn (that is to say pretty damn unlikely if it's even possible).

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

*shouldn't

I mean, would you?

Only Corrin/Kana have shown it and everyone knows Garon ain't their biological (Grand)dad. There also isn't much else in terms of people turning into dragons barring Lilith besides. So it might be a little damming if Garon turns out to be a slime all along.

It'd also only really be a disappointment in Tellius, what with all the Laguz Royals.

But it would explain his cackling and worship of the (imo) worst thing in FE.

With all the Royals having dragon blood, some of them had to have been able to transform at some point.

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Alm has access to the convoy healing, shields, bows, Double Lion and (in that particular video) a +40 avoid Healing Tile. With all those assets and bearing in mind you can grind, I'm pretty confident even the most RNG screwed 1/20 Alm would stand a chance at winning at even the most rng blessed Celica (provided her AI is coded so she only ever attacks with the sword instead of magic). It'd be at least as equal to the chance of Ike not being able to beat the Black Knight in Radiant Dawn (that is to say pretty damn unlikely if it's even possible).

It's easy to lose to the Black Knight through a combination of not using him, RNG screwage, or a special proc.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

With all the Royals having dragon blood, some of them had to have been able to transform at some point.

It seems like their blood is supposedly diluted enough in the time Fates is set that they don't have that ability any more, Corrin has it for.... reasons.

At least that's the logical conclusion.

Edited by Dayni

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It's easy to lose to the Black Knight through a combination of not using him, RNG screwage, or a special proc.

If you like intentionally remove Nihil and step off of the defensive tile maybe.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It seems like their blood is supposedly diluted enough in the time Fates is set that they don't have that ability any more, Corrin has it for.... reasons.

At least that's the logical conclusion.

Corrin's father is Anankos, so it makes sense that he and Kana have a tonne more dragon blood than the other royals.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It seems like thei blood is supposedly diluted enough that they don't have that ability any more, Corrin has it for.... reasons.

Fair enough point, though I wish the manakete powers were actually a part of the story lest I assault a deceased equine.  The fact that it isn't would lead one to believe it's not that uncommon.