What character did you want to like so much, but couldn't?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deen. He's a mysterious character that we learn next to nothing about in-game. As a unit, he's pretty good, and can do the infinite Villager loop to cap out his stats. His relevance to the story isn't really there, unlike Sonya, who isn't too relevant either, but more relevant than Deen at least.

It's not that I don't like Deen, but I feel there was potential that just wasn't fully utilized.

4 minutes ago, indigospace said:

Deen. He's a mysterious character that we learn next to nothing about in-game. As a unit, he's pretty good, and can do the infinite Villager loop to cap out his stats. His relevance to the story isn't really there, unlike Sonya, who isn't too relevant either, but more relevant than Deen at least.

It's not that I don't like Deen, but I feel there was potential that just wasn't fully utilized.

The closest thing we get to a backstory from him is the Accordion, but man. It's very vague and I shouldn't need to buy this book to understand Deen's backstory.

pretty much most of SoV's cast mainly due to me liking their initial personalities but then there being barely anything beyond that(boey, maye, saber, jesse, etc.)

Celica is another one though that's due to her complete idiocy in act 4. 

Stepping away from SoV and into the future of that world. Yarne is a character that could be decent but falls under the whole "I have x gimmick and that's the only thing my supports will focus on" problem that a handful of awakening's characters have. For most of the awakening kids their "gimmicks" are fine and well explained through their backstories and their relationship with their parents(or some cases lack there of) but yarne is just ugh. Haven't played an FE game in a good while though so my list right now is a tad short.

Edited by Otts486

Faye and Soleil

I don't hate either, but they both have a single defining trait that gets old after a while.  At least Camilla has more to her if you look hard enough.

Edited by Rezzy

Soren. I honestly tried to like him. I really did. I used him in multiple playthroughs, hoping I would find something to make him a likable unit but I just could never shake that dislike of him that I have. It doesn't help that he apparently didn't like me either because his growths were horrible.

I did want to like Alm and Celica and them essentially supposed to be representing opposite ideals, but Alm is made to seem too conveniently right about most of his convictions, and Celica is made to seem too naive.  Plus, Alm was less the aggressive fighter I was expecting, and more just a typical shonen protagonist.  And Faye, obviously; with them introducing a new villager who was also a female, I was hoping for more than just a girl who has an insane crush on the main character.

I also wanted to like a number of the Nohrians I disliked/felt neutral on than I did.  Particularly the villains.  I actually thought when I was starting out with Fates that if I played Conquest, I'd get to use Iago and Hans and figure out their perspectives, and I also felt that maybe King Garon would be more sympathetic a villain.  And I know there's a hack for the latter problem (which I can't play because I'm not inclined to get another 3DS/2DS just to play hacks until prices drop), but it'd have been nice if they could've written him better from the beginning.

Really, a lot of the villains could be something more than they are, and so I could list them all here.  So far the only villain in the series who hasn't really disappointed me is Alvis, but that may be partially because I have yet to finish the game and have a retrospective on him.

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

pretty much most of SoV's cast mainly due to me liking their initial personalities but then there being barely anything beyond that(boey, maye, saber, jesse, etc.)

Celica is another one though that's due to her complete idiocy in act 4. 

Stepping away from SoV and into the future of that world. Yarne is a character that could be decent but falls under the whole "I have x gimmick and that's the only thing my supports will focus on" problem that a handful of awakening's characters have. For most of the awakening kids their "gimmicks" are fine and well explained through their backstories and their relationship with their parents(or some cases lack there of) but yarne is just ugh. Haven't played an FE game in a good while though so my list right now is a tad short.

honestly i find that most awakening characters have this problem

11 minutes ago, FootwaySublong said:

honestly i find that most awakening characters have this problem

true but I mostly only see it with the first gen and even then I'd say that a good number of them have good enough supports that flesh them out enough where it isn't too bad though as I've said I haven't played awakening in a good while so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

55 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I did want to like Alm and Celica and them essentially supposed to be representing opposite ideals, but Alm is made to seem too conveniently right about most of his convictions, and Celica is made to seem too naive.  Plus, Alm was less the aggressive fighter I was expecting, and more just a typical shonen protagonist.  And Faye, obviously; with them introducing a new villager who was also a female, I was hoping for more than just a girl who has an insane crush on the main character.

Same. On that topic, I really wanted to like SoV on the whole, but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

Ninnian and Deirdre, Both came across the same way to me, Just there for the lord to love and be a little mysterious and somewhat blank minded, but with these two for some reason (Mostly with Deirdre) it comes of as rushed. Deirdre's chapter 3 "stunt" just made me lose any hope of liking the character. And Ninnian I don't know. I've just given up trying or caring, which is a problem, I dot have many characters like this as I either like them or just don't bother trying to hard.

Oh and Birthrights Xander but lets be honest we all wanted that to be better...and Conquest everything...

I would love to be like Ross from Sacred Stones. You have this badass dad who is a legend to even generals and paladins that serves princesses and such. Then you quickly go from this scrawny kid to a giant dude with a giant axe that rekts everything in sight. That would be kind of cool. OF course, I'd have to get used to the constant chopping and stabbing from and to other people in battle after battle, but just sitting here and the modern world things are settled by nukes or bullets, I don't think I'd be much better off if I get drafted. Lmao

OBoi, I've got a few of these. Off the top of my head...

Sumia - She's pretty cute, has the little clumsy gimmick, which is definitely better than some other gimmicks out there[coughCharlottecough], and also really loves to read, which I can definitely relate to, plus is apparently voiced by the same lady as Ellie Troit, who while not my favorite Heroine would probably make the waifu list if she weren't sixteen and{SPOILER REMOVED}...but for goodness sake, why is SHE Chrom's basically-Canon Love Interest? Really, Sully is pretty much the only Love Interest option for Chrom that actually makes any sense - Robin and Chrom's only Support interaction is them walking in on each other in the bathroom, Chrom is far from Maribelle's idealistic concept of a noble, he marries Olivia literally right after they meet, and Sumia feels much too pushed even for the Childhood-Friend-to-Love-Interest trope. At least with Sully their personalities match fairly well and it feels more naturally paced plus then Kjelle gets Exalt Blood too.

Tharja - I'm sure this has been done to death in all kinds of places on our good old internet, but I'll say it again. Tharja is actually a pretty well-developed character who was unfortunately backstabbed by how well-developed she ended up being[-Did you really just make that pun?- Shut up, Mary]. While I'll admit I do have a bit of a weakness for a girl with a good pair of boobs[Read: Narika Shina], and will repeat one of my personal catchphrases, first coined during the infamous Lyn V Camilla Voting Gauntlet Round - Never underestimate the sway a pair of breasts can hold over the masses - I find more aggressively sexual outfits like Tharja's and Camilla's more frustrating than arousing due in part to the fact that it makes recommending games to my younger cousins hard when I feel they shouldn't have to deal with that. In fact, despite Rhajat having less to her personality than her Awakening counterpart, I still prefer her to Tharja overall, both because they haven't blown her creepy factor as out of proportion as Tharja's and because the Hoshidan Diviner's outfit is much more subtly sexy than the Plegian Dark Mage's, and if I have to pick something sexy I'll go for subtly sexy almost every time.

Speaking of characters ruined by fanservicey outfits, Ophelia - Frankly, she's actually pretty great for a character that more or less just borrows their gimmick from their parent, and I especially like her attempts at purifying Rhajat's Aura and her conversations with Odin, but good heavens, she's just waltzing around in whatever the heck that excuse for an outfit is like it's a t-shirt and jeans, what the actual heck IS? You guys can do character-specific stuff like Forrest constantly wearing a pink Beret and Priam wearing an old scarf, but you can't cover up someone who I can't possibly say is older than sixteen? That's absolute BS. I do still like Ophelia in spite of her 'clothes', so she only half counts for this, but the lack of a real outfit is a major con for her, so I still bring it up at least as an honorable mention.

Selena(Fates) - I love Severa, something about her really appeals to me, and I thought seeing her come back for Fates would be instant waifu material too, but...Selena is frankly all the worst parts of Severa(the [Self-Censored]y parts) without most if any of the good parts of her Awakening appearance(like, for example, why she's such a jerk). She also goes through pretty much zero character growth in Fates, as if they ran out of willpower to make her become a better person after Awakening - literally the only moment of true growth I can think of is her Caeldori A Support('cuz you know, I needed another chance to plug for that), where she realizes she was projecting all her issues she had with her mother onto her daughter and understands she needs to let it go.

Finally for now, Jedah - The guy had the potential to be probably the best villain in all of the 3DS games if they'd just tried a little harder to make him not OBVIOUSLY evil. My main issue with him is that he says he needs Celica alive, but the Duma Faithful, who he claims to more or less be in charge of, are constantly trying to kill her, and Jedah does nothing to even acknowledge this obvious hypocrisy. While this mostly just serves to make Celica look even more stupid than the rest of the game does, it also really takes away from Jedah's character - if he'd even just made some half-baked claim about potential mutiny or a faction split within the Duma Faithful it would have done worlds to help him. I also believe he should have been involved with Celica's choice to take Grieth on, maybe showing her a vision of what the pirates were doing to the people to convince her she should be helping in other ways than just running to Mila, and perhaps also lending Celica some men to use as bodyguards to show his good intentions while also ensuring one of Grieth's goons doesn't, you know, goof up and accidentally kill Celica, because if that happens, he's, well...kind of screwed, isn't he.

I loved almost all of the cast of SoV, except my original favorite character, Kliff. In Gaiden, Kliff is this derpy brown haired child, but in SoV hes edgy Mc edgelord. 

Honestly, on the topic of SoV, Berkut. Gameplaywise, it shows his stats getting better.

Storywise, however, He just whines and whines and whines and does nothing to make himself stronger...

9 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Honestly, on the topic of SoV, Berkut. Gameplaywise, it shows his stats getting better.

Storywise, however, He just whines and whines and whines and does nothing to make himself stronger...

Eh I just count that up to gameplay and story segregation. Wouldn't make sense to fight the same Berkut in zofia woods and the sluice gate gsmeplaywise 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

20 hours ago, Otts486 said:

true but I mostly only see it with the first gen and even then I'd say that a good number of them have good enough supports that flesh them out enough where it isn't too bad though as I've said I haven't played awakening in a good while so my memory may be a bit fuzzy.

me too, but honestly gregor, chrom, and f!robin are the only characters i say are at least not defined by their gimmick. sumia may be amazing to some, but to me her supports are weighed down by her being  portrayed as the "pie girl" and being clumsy.

18 hours ago, Martin said:

I would love to be like Ross from Sacred Stones. You have this badass dad who is a legend to even generals and paladins that serves princesses and such. Then you quickly go from this scrawny kid to a giant dude with a giant axe that rekts everything in sight. That would be kind of cool. OF course, I'd have to get used to the constant chopping and stabbing from and to other people in battle after battle, but just sitting here and the modern world things are settled by nukes or bullets, I don't think I'd be much better off if I get drafted. Lmao

i found the fact that ross is an earlygame "child" unit (by which i mean that he's a lot younger) who wields axes. amelia also does this for me. their concepts are interesting, at least to me.

4 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Eh I just count that up to gameplay and story segregation. Wouldn't make sense to fight the same Berkut in zofia woods and the sluice gate gsmeplaywise 

Agreed. But after a loss, it would make sense that a Warrior would train day and night to beat his rival, but instead it seems like Berkut just whines...

22 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Agreed. But after a loss, it would make sense that a Warrior would train day and night to beat his rival, but instead it seems like Berkut just whines...

I always just assumed he trained anyway, like how we see our units train in supports but never see it in gameplay (aside from the quick cutscene with Alm and Mycen)

my guess is that he still continues his training, he just slowly realizes that his power is no match for alms despite all his training and turns to divine (hehe) intervention  but at this point I admit I might be grasping at straws here.

18 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Finally for now, Jedah - The guy had the potential to be probably the best villain in all of the 3DS games if they'd just tried a little harder to make him not OBVIOUSLY evil. My main issue with him is that he says he needs Celica alive, but the Duma Faithful, who he claims to more or less be in charge of, are constantly trying to kill her, and Jedah does nothing to even acknowledge this obvious hypocrisy.

Is that really the case though? There's obviously the case of gameplay and story segregation but in the story most Duma faithful are trying to kidnap Celica rather then kill her. The creep on the boat said he plans to take her away, when Saber and Celica get attacked he classifies it as a capture attempt rather than an assassination and the priest in the poison fortress seemed under the correct impression Celica was going to come willingly until he friends intervened. 

As for me, its the RD's version of the Black Knight. He still got some of the hype left of him from POR and there are good additions like his relation with Michy and Lehran but ultimately what the Black Knight is and what the game insists he is differ to such an extend it makes him a very badly written character. They can try all they want but presenting someone as noble while at the same time revealing he murders people just to find out if he's strong enough to commit murder just doesn't work. Then there's that unfortunate business of planning to torture Mist which certainly isn't very noble either. 

2 hours ago, FootwaySublong said:

What part of Charlotte don't you like? 

She's a gold digger who also is supposed to be a border guard - probably a dangerous job - yet is literally walking around in a bra and barely a skirt. Yes, yes, she's a gold digger so she can provide for her family and looks like that to try to get people to let their guard down so she can more easily rip their face in half, but for me, at least, her motives for both such things are outweighed by the things themselves.

2 hours ago, FootwaySublong said:

honestly gregor, chrom, and f!robin are the only characters i say are at least not defined by their gimmick.

Have you seen Ghaast's Support Science videos on YouTube? He actually does a pretty good job of showing how Tharja's more than just a Robin-stalker, and I enjoyed his Cordelia and Olivia videos as well, plus he goes into characters for other games as well, like Eliwood, Nino, Camilla, and The Best Retainer of Fire Emblem(I guarantee it's not someone you would expect). Also, I'm curious as to how Female Robin isn't defined by Robin's gimmick, but Male Robin is. What leads you to say that?

21 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Is that really the case though? There's obviously the case of gameplay and story segregation but in the story most Duma faithful are trying to kidnap Celica rather then kill her. The creep on the boat said he plans to take her away, when Saber and Celica get attacked he classifies it as a capture attempt rather than an assassination and the priest in the poison fortress seemed under the correct impression Celica was going to come willingly until he friends intervened.

Hm, interesting, I didn't remember that. Either way, I still feel that Jedah should have at least attempted to segregate himself from these obviously bad guys - I mean, if he wants Celica to just come to him, shouldn't he also be convincing her group that he's acting in everyone's best interests so they don't make his job harder? This also continues to spill over into how badly Celica was written in SoV, since no normal person would see this group clearly trying to off her friends to get to her and go 'now this leader guy of theirs - who's probably the guy who ordered my friends killed if they try to stop his goons from kidnapping me btw - seems trustworthy' unless I'm even more insane than I thought I was. If Jedah had explained to Celica's friends what he claimed he was trying to do - save Duma from madness using a Brand-bearer's soul - and maybe spouted some reasonable-sounding nonsense about that overarching prophecy actually being about the two Brand-bearers sacking themselves to save both Duma and Mila from insanity, he just might have been able to convince the others that this was necessary and got them to go along, especially once Conrad shows up and debunks the argument that Celica needs to take the throne as the only living descendant of House Zofia. As it is, we just get Jedah being comically unbelievable and Celica being ridiculously moronic for a) believing him, b) refusing to tell any of her supposed friends(or her freaking BROTHER) about this until too late, and c) stubbornly refusing to listen when they then point out Jedah is more likely than not spewing complete BS.