Finished Echoes, Officially a FE Addict.. Where do I go Now?

I beat Echoes (early this morning, I just could not put this one down), after basically doing an entire Fire Emblem-athon (I went with Awakening, right into Fates, did all three paths, and then i feel it was just last week, started Echoes). I know there is the Thabes Act Six thing to do (I am not sure if I am going to do it with my motley crew. I think i could handle it to be fair, but I did the whole "Not grind, promote right away" route, not thinking about the end game.  

I think out of the 3 series, this one was my favourite, I really liked the story and a huge chunk of the characters and I feel this one really made me think in what I wanted to do. I usually play normal casual mode and and while it was challenging (for me, due to my play style aka: kill or be killed lol) i tried to be really mindful of my actions. It was so fun. 

I'm just wondering where do i go from here?
like I am actually wondering if i want to replay Echoes right away again, and try really grinding everyone (but that's so soon).  I was contemplating Awakening (but again, i mean i just finished it in January, but i didn't work on getting any children etc). do i spend the money and try doing Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and deal with permadeath?  Play Shadow Dragon?

Suggestions would be great :) 

I would personally recommend Blazing Blade (more commonly known simply as "Fire Emblem") or Sacred Stones.  They have permadeath, but should nevertheless be fairly easy on standard difficulties.

I've been wondering the same thing actually. Except I did try Shadow Dragon, but was kind of underwhelmed by it - the "press X to see enemy ranges" thing not being there especially annoyed me.

1 minute ago, Funky Tim said:

I've been wondering the same thing actually. Except I did try Shadow Dragon, but was kind of underwhelmed by it - the "press X to see enemy ranges" thing not being there especially annoyed me.

Shadow Dragon was the game that introduced that...

On topic: The next 3 easiest FEs to jump into are

Fire Emblem GBA (Blazing Blade)

Sacred Stones

Path of Radiance

After that, tackle the rest at your leisure.

4 minutes ago, Funky Tim said:

Huh?  I thought it did have that.  Maybe it was mapped to a different button?

I did all three paths of Fates back to back when the game came out and I didn't want to touch another fire emblem game after that. So I commend you on being able to continue past it. That's a lot of one game to play.

I can say that Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn is honestly great, but I can't recommend people pay such exorbitant prices just to play it. If you own a Wii U, then you've got access to Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones on the eshop for eight dollars each. Shadow Dragon is also there for ten dollars, just don't expect to fall in love with it. I'm also expecting Nintendo to come clean about it's online paid service for the Switch very soon, and by extension its Virtual Console successor which may promise the arrival of Gamecube and Wii games. Tellius probably wouldn't be there on day one, but it'd be well worth the wait.

Edited by Glennstavos

First, welcome fellow addict. I know the feeling of not wanting to stop playing Fire Emblem, I've basically been doing so since January 2017.

The Blazing Blade or The Sacred Stones are the overall easiest to acquire and easiest to get into, be it either through the cartridge or virtual console.

Path of Radiance is also an excellent game to play next (if a bit more difficult), but it is very expensive and has never been released beyond the GC version. I also wouldn't recommend playing Radiant Dawn until you've played Path of Radiance.

Shadow Dragon is solid, but it may not engage you as much as other games. Not terrible, but not as good as other entries in my opinion.

Just feel the need to say that fan translations for most of the jap-only released games are mostly well done so there would not be a reason to not consider them as well.

Someone might want to play Binding Blade before Blazing Sword, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Just feel the need to say that fan translations for most of the jap-only released games are mostly well done so there would not be a reason to not consider them as well.

Someone might want to play Binding Blade before Blazing Sword, for example. 

Not everyone is okay with emulation, though.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Shadow Dragon was the game that introduced that...

On topic: The next 3 easiest FEs to jump into are

Fire Emblem GBA (Blazing Blade)

Sacred Stones

Path of Radiance

After that, tackle the rest at your leisure.

is path of radiance worth the scalpers price? I think in Canada it's a cool 250.

Their loss. 

I'm assuming a FE addict would eventually get to them, however. 

Honestly, you should be giving Blazing Sword a try first. It'll have some old mechanics but nothing that will you throw you off and the game includes a mode (Lyn's mode) that is specifically aimed to introduce the series to the west, where it was the first game released. It takes you by the hand at first but that's probably best if it's your first foray into gba FE games and FE games with permadeath.   

It's easy to get, it's cheap and it's got pretty iconic characters. You'll also have a feel for FE games before their 3d releases and if that's a turn off for you or not. Personally, I still like how they look. 

Path of Radiance is great but no game is worth so much as 250. Plus it's sequel is nearly just as expensive. If you play all FE games but only have these two left, I'll personally lent them to you. ;)

Edited by Vince777

33 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I did all three paths of Fates back to back when the game came out and I didn't want to touch another fire emblem game after that. So I commend you on being able to continue past it. That's a lot of one game to play.

I can say that Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn is honestly great, but I can't recommend people pay such exorbitant prices just to play it. If you own a Wii U, then you've got access to Fire Emblem 7 and Sacred Stones on the eshop for eight dollars each. Shadow Dragon is also there for ten dollars, just don't expect to fall in love with it. I'm also expecting Nintendo to come clean about it's online paid service for the Switch very soon, and by extension its Virtual Console successor which may promise the arrival of Gamecube and Wii games. Tellius probably wouldn't be there on day one, but it'd be well worth the wait.

thanks for this :)  i do have a wii u,  so i will stock up on those games - I was waiting to hear about Nintendo's VC/Online before i bought anything. I just have that sneaky suspicion I'll load up on my Wii U and then it's like surprise! everything is on VC Switch. 

and that's the thing. Right now I can find Radiant Dawn for 100 dollars (which is basically what it is for a Switch game, so i figure potato, pohtaho) but it's the PoR's price that is driving me insanely nuts. but everything i've heard screams "it's a good game" so I am hoping Nintendo announces this either gets an "Echoes" treatment, or they're gonna port it, (i mean they are porting everything else soo...)

lol and i might not want to touch Fates for  while. oi. 
but I do think I kinda rushed through both Awakening (I got everyone married, but never picked up a kid, my Ateam was just that awesome). but with Echoes I am thinking about everything else i could try (ie: reclassing everyone, (except for Mathlida who is awesomeness), making other decisions, etc. I didn't expect the game to end so quickly! LOL

24 minutes ago, Chconroy said:

First, welcome fellow addict. I know the feeling of not wanting to stop playing Fire Emblem, I've basically been doing so since January 2017.

The Blazing Blade or The Sacred Stones are the overall easiest to acquire and easiest to get into, be it either through the cartridge or virtual console.

Path of Radiance is also an excellent game to play next (if a bit more difficult), but it is very expensive and has never been released beyond the GC version. I also wouldn't recommend playing Radiant Dawn until you've played Path of Radiance.

Shadow Dragon is solid, but it may not engage you as much as other games. Not terrible, but not as good as other entries in my opinion.

Thanks very much!! 

so basically. Blazing Blade/Sacred Stones, and try Shadow Dragon, but i'm not gonna LOOOVE it. 

got it :)

Shadow Dragon can be fun but it is a little bland, but you should play it before you try Fire Emblem Warriors which is a fun spin off.  Sacred Stones is pretty easy to play even with permadeath, Blazing Sword was the first FE released in the west so it is also pretty easy on normal.  I don't know if you play Heroes which is the FE mobile game and has characters from every game in the series and is a lot of fun.  

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

is path of radiance worth the scalpers price? I think in Canada it's a cool 250.

No. No game is worth a x5 price hike when you can just emulate it. I know not everyone does emulation, but for this series, especially if you want to play the older games (which are VERY worth playing) you'll probably have to do it eventually. Might as well start now.

As far as recommendations, a lot of people have mentioned the GBA series. Since you're coming off the 3DS games, you might want to start with Sacred Stones. It's got a world map, lots of supports, ect. Past that, Shadow Dragon is a lot of fun, but just keep in mind it doesn't stray much from the 20+ year old source material.

Sacred Stones is a solid choice to go into, along with blazing blade/just fire emblem in the west. If emulation isn't a problem I'd highly recommend FE12/new Mystery. It is the only other game besides the 3ds ones to have casual mode in it along with me finding it a very underrated gem and precursor to awakening.

Sacred Stones is safe choice, even with it's permadeath it's not too rough a game.

Blazing Blade/7 Is another good choice, though I'd say Sacred Stones out of the GBA games to play first.

Path of Radiance is really good, and if you can get it for a reasonable price, go ahead (Mine was £60) But otherwise go an emulator and emulate it.

Shadow Dragon is a bit bland and can look bad (though I kinda like the graphics as I'm insane) but I think is an alright game and a nice history lesson on where the series started. Plus if you just get through that quickly you can play New Mystery of the Emblem and that also has a no permadeath option. You can just skip to that too if you don't mind

58 minutes ago, Solvaij said:

No. No game is worth a x5 price hike when you can just emulate it. I know not everyone does emulation, but for this series, especially if you want to play the older games (which are VERY worth playing) you'll probably have to do it eventually. Might as well start now.

As far as recommendations, a lot of people have mentioned the GBA series. Since you're coming off the 3DS games, you might want to start with Sacred Stones. It's got a world map, lots of supports, ect. Past that, Shadow Dragon is a lot of fun, but just keep in mind it doesn't stray much from the 20+ year old source material.

i don't mind it. but i know for GC/WII games you need to have a powerful computer, which - i do not have, so that's the rub more than anything. 

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I beat Echoes (early this morning, I just could not put this one down), after basically doing an entire Fire Emblem-athon (I went with Awakening, right into Fates, did all three paths, and then i feel it was just last week, started Echoes). I know there is the Thabes Act Six thing to do (I am not sure if I am going to do it with my motley crew. I think i could handle it to be fair, but I did the whole "Not grind, promote right away" route, not thinking about the end game.  

I think out of the 3 series, this one was my favourite, I really liked the story and a huge chunk of the characters and I feel this one really made me think in what I wanted to do. I usually play normal casual mode and and while it was challenging (for me, due to my play style aka: kill or be killed lol) i tried to be really mindful of my actions. It was so fun. 

I'm just wondering where do i go from here?
like I am actually wondering if i want to replay Echoes right away again, and try really grinding everyone (but that's so soon).  I was contemplating Awakening (but again, i mean i just finished it in January, but i didn't work on getting any children etc). do i spend the money and try doing Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and deal with permadeath?  Play Shadow Dragon?

Suggestions would be great :) 

If you have a Wii U or New 3DS, then you can get the GBA games for cheap, which is a fantastic way to play them! I would personally go FE 7 and then Sacred Stones, but you can play them in reverse order, or only play one. They aren't connected, and both have very different approaches to gameplay (7 is chapter-by-chapter, while SS has a world map and nonlinearity/grinding, 7 has linear class promotion while 8 has options like Awakening and Fates), but both have excellent stories, characters, and map design. They're the most "bite-sized" games in the series except for maybe FE 1 and 3, they have relatively small maps but it works really well and they're designed around that. Possibly some of the easiest games in the series on their normal difficulty levels, but very fun and engaging with wonderful characters.

You could also pick up Shadow Dragon, it's a great remake of the first Fire Emblem game. It can feel a bit dated and slow at times, but overall it's a really great time. It's also just fantastic to get Marth's story told in a way they just couldn't on the NES and SNES. Characterization is mostly thin compared to other FE titles, but it has a variety of units to use and tactically, it's very engaging and enjoyable. It's a great game to get some appreciation for FE's past after playing the more modern titles. 

If you decide to go into the Radiant games, START WITH PATH OF RADIANCE. DO NOT PLAY RADIANT DAWN FIRST. They are absolutely designed as a duology, so you need to play them in order. They are both absolutely worth playing, incredibly engaging, a truly epic sweeping tale (especially if you play both games), and feel the closest in tone and design to the early Fire Emblem games (particulary 4 and 5) without feeling dated at all. 

Basically... you can't go wrong with any of the localized titles left to play :) They're all excellent and enjoyable games that do the series justice. And if you feel like emulating and hunting down English translations, I know that FE 4 is marvelously excellent, and 6 basically falls in line with everything I said above about the GBA games, particularly 7. I can't speak on 5 since I haven't played it, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot once I beat 4. 4 and 5 are definitely the most different games in the series, outside of maybe 2, but since you've played 2's remake in Shadows of Valentia, you can handle the weird. 

Honestly, playing all 3 3DS games has you perfectly well-prepared to take on any game in the series. You've got the linear, the nonlinear, and the weird, and multiple styles of progression and gameplay systems. You can handle anything from here. I hope you enjoy taking on the rest of the series :)

tl;dr = If you can play the GBA games, start with those OR Shadow Dragon. After those three, take on Path of Radiance, then Radiant Dawn, and finally consider if you want to emulate and hunt down translations and guides for the remaining games. Good luck!

1 hour ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

If you have a Wii U or New 3DS, then you can get the GBA games for cheap, which is a fantastic way to play them! I would personally go FE 7 and then Sacred Stones, but you can play them in reverse order, or only play one. They aren't connected, and both have very different approaches to gameplay (7 is chapter-by-chapter, while SS has a world map and nonlinearity/grinding, 7 has linear class promotion while 8 has options like Awakening and Fates), but both have excellent stories, characters, and map design. They're the most "bite-sized" games in the series except for maybe FE 1 and 3, they have relatively small maps but it works really well and they're designed around that. Possibly some of the easiest games in the series on their normal difficulty levels, but very fun and engaging with wonderful characters.

You could also pick up Shadow Dragon, it's a great remake of the first Fire Emblem game. It can feel a bit dated and slow at times, but overall it's a really great time. It's also just fantastic to get Marth's story told in a way they just couldn't on the NES and SNES. Characterization is mostly thin compared to other FE titles, but it has a variety of units to use and tactically, it's very engaging and enjoyable. It's a great game to get some appreciation for FE's past after playing the more modern titles. 

If you decide to go into the Radiant games, START WITH PATH OF RADIANCE. DO NOT PLAY RADIANT DAWN FIRST. They are absolutely designed as a duology, so you need to play them in order. They are both absolutely worth playing, incredibly engaging, a truly epic sweeping tale (especially if you play both games), and feel the closest in tone and design to the early Fire Emblem games (particulary 4 and 5) without feeling dated at all. 

Basically... you can't go wrong with any of the localized titles left to play :) They're all excellent and enjoyable games that do the series justice. And if you feel like emulating and hunting down English translations, I know that FE 4 is marvelously excellent, and 6 basically falls in line with everything I said above about the GBA games, particularly 7. I can't speak on 5 since I haven't played it, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot once I beat 4. 4 and 5 are definitely the most different games in the series, outside of maybe 2, but since you've played 2's remake in Shadows of Valentia, you can handle the weird. 

Honestly, playing all 3 3DS games has you perfectly well-prepared to take on any game in the series. You've got the linear, the nonlinear, and the weird, and multiple styles of progression and gameplay systems. You can handle anything from here. I hope you enjoy taking on the rest of the series :)

tl;dr = If you can play the GBA games, start with those OR Shadow Dragon. After those three, take on Path of Radiance, then Radiant Dawn, and finally consider if you want to emulate and hunt down translations and guides for the remaining games. Good luck!

thanks very much!! :) 

i am hoping beyond hope i can get a PoR cheap. like i mentioned I can get a Radian Dawn for 100, but PoR, is way too costly for me right now.  and I really hate supporting the scalpers. :) I'll try out all of those games though :)

i will not lie. Permadeath scares the snot out of me. I have visions of getting to like chapter two and everyone's already dead. lolol

8 hours ago, daisy jane said:

thanks very much!! :) 

i am hoping beyond hope i can get a PoR cheap. like i mentioned I can get a Radian Dawn for 100, but PoR, is way too costly for me right now.  and I really hate supporting the scalpers. :) I'll try out all of those games though :)

i will not lie. Permadeath scares the snot out of me. I have visions of getting to like chapter two and everyone's already dead. lolol

Yeah personally I lucked out, having bought PoR upon release and held onto it. I just finished another playthrough recently, it's a great game!

Permadeath can be rather scary, and I'm not sure how to sell it well when I'm used to it. It can be frustrating more than anything (since I'll reset if someone dies, meaning any death is basically a Game Over). If you keep it in mind and play more cautiously than you're used to, you'll adjust to it and probably find that battles can be even more intense and nerve-wracking because of the stakes, which can be both extremely fun... and extremely stressful lol. 

There are people who play and beat these games without resetting over deaths, so it's possible (that's part of why you get new recruits fairly often), but... it's not advised. 

Hope you can find a cheap version of PoR! And good luck with the journey :)

I played Fire Emblem 7 next as well. It's pretty good and a good way to get your feet wet with permadeath always on (since normal mode is pretty easy).

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

thanks, guys :)

i just got Radiant Dawn. :) Someone had it for the price of a brand new game at a cool 80.00 so how could i not? 
I am going to see how I can emulate path of radiance, but hopefully i can find a cheap copy. :) just need some patience and luck!

15 hours ago, daisy jane said:

thanks, guys :)

i just got Radiant Dawn. :) Someone had it for the price of a brand new game at a cool 80.00 so how could i not? 
I am going to see how I can emulate path of radiance, but hopefully i can find a cheap copy. :) just need some patience and luck!

Just play Gaiden, bro.

Jokes aside, FE7 and Sacred Stones are the best FE games to start with in my opinion. If you really wanted to, you could start Radiant Dawn without having too much knowledge of Path of Radiance and be just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your best bet to playing PoR is probably through emulation. Physical copies are hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you do find it, so unless you've got the cash, I'd say pass on getting the physical copy.

3 minutes ago, indigospace said:

Just play Gaiden, bro.

Jokes aside, FE7 and Sacred Stones are the best FE games to start with in my opinion. If you really wanted to, you could start Radiant Dawn without having too much knowledge of Path of Radiance and be just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your best bet to playing PoR is probably through emulation. Physical copies are hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you do find it, so unless you've got the cash, I'd say pass on getting the physical copy.

it really is looking like it. 
i am just gonna clear some space off and figure out how to emulate it :) 
which one is FE7?

4 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

it really is looking like it. 
i am just gonna clear some space off and figure out how to emulate it :) 
which one is FE7?

FE7 is The Blazing Blade. It was just called "Fire Emblem" in the West since it was the first one to be localized.