Grand Hero Battle - Julius: Scion of Darkness (May 14 ~)

Coolmanio

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

This put me through the wringer. I initially wanted to do it with Inigo instead of Axura but he’s too fragile and even the blue mage can kill him. I like how this map plays on Oliver’s strengths. Lots of use for a magical mixed tank.

I love this one! Niles and Oliver plus clutch moments and beaming action? Cool. 

Azura stopping the whole mop by tanking the red mage was nice too.

Oliver works pretty well with owls, I feel a little bad to not have promoted him yet. My plan was to give him TA+Raven, but I just don't need another one with that set. I haven't used owls though, he would need a team. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NegativeExponents- Epic. For one thing, I've never seen anyone use Oliver, ever. Then there was the tanking, it's always so much more impressive when there's no healer or Aether user on the team. It made me cringe when you left Azura in front of the red mage and the healer topped off the entire enemy army, but what happened after was poetry in motion. Saturos' theme playing in the background only made it even more awesome.

@SatsumaFSoysoy That's a Kagero I can respect. She's even still running Poison Dagger+. "Emiya" was a nice touch. I've been wanting to use that theme, just haven't found the right clear to do it. Shoutouts to us both being +7 though. My Kagero doesn't hold a candle to yours, but I do want to build her. Don't know if she'll have Poison Dagger+ though, I respect you for sticking to that.

@Fei Mao The funny thing about that is that that trio would not only be more fitting with Saizo because he's actually got the most DEF (to Matt's #2) but it would be more thematically appropriate since they're all from Fates. But I digress! Saizo will be a *4 +10 and I'm content with that.

@SilvertheShadow He's really slept on since the refinery and the new debuff skills came in. For PvE he's invaluable. For Arena he may not be the best of the best, but a good build makes him easily serviceable. He may not be top, but at this point he's easily around mid tier or maybe a little lower. Far better than dirt bottom where everyone has him. He trivializes more than half the cast with the right build with or without merges. If I'm able to convince one more person that he's not trash, I'm happy.

@mampfoid Every unit you named will have a lot of trouble gathering merges sadly (NY!Camilla and the rest) but nearly every one of them has some pretty respectable tanking ability. It's funny how enemy phase oriented clears are just as excited as player phase clears for me at this point, it's cool to be able to inspire other people to do tanky clears as well. What you sir, need is a flying healer. If the Bride Banner has one of those, I recommend you pull there.

@Dominic the Dragon Much thanks! The fact that you use Dagger units at all puts a smile on my face. What was your old username by the way? I know I know you, but I'm blanking on who you are at this particular moment.

@Alexmender Eirika is a terror on the battlefield with those buffs. Her build is the cream of the crop and shows top level investment and the results show incredibly. She made short work of Julius after shrugging off his special and took down a lance armor with Pavise. What even? Good stuff.

@Rafiel's Aria @mcsilas @Glennstavos And now for something completely different!

Later that day after our teams successful assault on Julius, the leader, Matthew received a letter from an old friend. Sothe, there'd been a contract out on Julius with intel that he survived the battle with Matthew and company. Sothe and a group from the Assassin's guild were on their way to finish off Julius and his deadlords, still recovering in the castle from the battle earlier that day. One of the team's members, Saizo was still recovering from his wounds during a previous mission, so Sothe called in a favor and Matthew set out to join some old allies to carry out a top mission: the assassination of the Scion of Darkness.

The battle was quick. Julius fatigued Deadlords rushed to the field to aid their already injured master, but the battle was already over.

44 minutes ago, Zeo said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy That's a Kagero I can respect. She's even still running Poison Dagger+. "Emiya" was a nice touch. I've been wanting to use that theme, just haven't found the right clear to do it. Shoutouts to us both being +7 though. My Kagero doesn't hold a candle to yours, but I do want to build her. Don't know if she'll have Poison Dagger+ though, I respect you for sticking to that.

I have a Smoke Dagger refined on her, it's just that Poison is usually the best pick for GHBs imo. I don't have Kitty Paddle or anything on her.

@Fei Mao Thanks! Fir and Niles see pretty frequent use from me but this was a first for Oliver.

@mampfoid Owls seem fitting for him too. Makes me think of Reyson because the owls are white and majestic. R̶e̶y̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶w̶l̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶?̶ I’m sure he could run TA + raven tome well, and unlike you I don’t have any raven tome users, but I never felt the need for one.

@Zeo An all dagger clear?! That’s so cool! Can’t believe that Sothe was actually able to survive that sword fighter. I was wondering how they would deal with the armor. The answer was they don’t. Just finish it before all the reinforcements are able to spawn.

Taking hits with no way to recover always leaves me on edge. At some point I figured this might be impossible without a healer, but with some positioning work, I was eventually able to get it. Azura being able to survive that red mage was pivotal. I needed to stop the mob somehow and she was the only one left with any hp. Never expected +5hp to come in handy.

Yeah... I’m not surprised about Oliver honestly. It’s a shame since I actually feel like his stat spread is one of the better ones as far as free units go. But in a game all about being able to use your favorites, I doubt anyone uses him. If it wasn’t for that one time way back when @mampfoid asked for a build of him, I probably wouldn’t have thought of building him myself.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

Every unit you named will have a lot of trouble gathering merges sadly (NY!Camilla and the rest) but nearly every one of them has some pretty respectable tanking ability. It's funny how enemy phase oriented clears are just as excited as player phase clears for me at this point, it's cool to be able to inspire other people to do tanky clears as well. What you sir, need is a flying healer. If the Bride Banner has one of those, I recommend you pull there.

My ward Flier team is tanky and healing would certainly help, but they don't kill fast enough for this map. Perhaps I'll give it another try in the next days, there is not much else to do anyway (eternal daily tap battle ... yeah).

I would love a staff flier. If it's a unit I like, I would even sacrifice some rare fodder. But if I continue pulling colorless (after getting Roy, not getting Grima and not getting Hinoka), I will never finish any of my merge projects (missing 4 Cordelias, 4 Cherches, 6 Caedas or 5 Roys). 

Wait, did you just clear this map with daggers only? Pretty cool stuff, congratulations! First I thought Matthew would dominate like usually, but the other get their kills as well. 

You mentioned Saizo, did you try it first with him instead of Matthew? 

19 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Owls seem fitting for him too. Makes me think of Reyson because the owls are white and majestic. R̶e̶y̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶w̶l̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶?̶ I’m sure he could run TA + raven tome well, and unlike you I don’t have any raven tome users, but I never felt the need for one.

TA/Raven units are handy in Arena Assault, but currently I have more of them than I need (Camilla, Cecilia, Lyon, Inigo, 4* Robin). I'm really tempted (again) to build Oliver right now, but like with any other unit that I would build these days, I'd had to ask one question: What to do with them? Wait for next Tempest Trials? 

@mampfoid Good luck again if you do try!

I know how it feels, I want more Matthews, Chroms and Lukases and I really need blue fodder, but I've been summoning solely on greens, the worst color for fodder and without getting any Ninos to boot. Very unfruitful. Hopefully the next banner has something worth pulling on the right color.

18 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Wait, did you just clear this map with daggers only? Pretty cool stuff, congratulations! First I thought Matthew would dominate like usually, but the other get their kills as well. 

I was against using Matthew on this team since I didn't want him to steal the show from the other daggers, but it turns out he was just another piece of the puzzle, so it worked out.

19 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

You mentioned Saizo, did you try it first with him instead of Matthew? 

He's currently *4+8, but he's unbuilt and +ATK/-HP which I'm not sure I want to go with over +SPD/-DEF or a potential +DEF nature. So I'm sitting on him.

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to try clearing Infernal myself first before watching other videos.

@Zeo As always, your normal team is always impressive with Matthew. However, that dagger clear was epic! All units I really want to raise up, and Kaze and Sothe hanging on by the skin of their teeth was nerve-wracking. Kagero shows why she was the dagger queen when infantry was more prevalent.

@mampfoid Elincia returns! Any clear with a Bartre and Smite is a good clear. Again, your clear is perfect for these maps- you didn't have to wait for the rest of the Dreadlords to show up!

@NegativeExponents- Oh neat! An Oliver clear! Blarowl as well! Pretty underrated tome, and it's great to see him..*cough* Shine. Great way to prevent that Barb Shuriken dagger from firing off that damned Moonbow! Your Fir and Niles are pretty amazing as well! Great to see underused units!

@Ginko Oh neat, a Blarblade Shigure! I guess this is a 2nd gen theme team since Roy is Eliwood's son haha. It feels nice to hear Siegbert's special quotes again haha, but yeah Siegbert can be a real monster with his cav movement!

@Rafiel's Aria I know that feeling! That was me during the Legendary Grima map! Micaiah tanking Julius is satisfying- I wish I had a nice blue Restank like her! I guess Raven likes seeing Lucius's damaged art which is why he hasn't attacked you yet  I guess it was a 'Miracle' he hasn't attacked you yet. (Still, nice to see his Miracle being used. I like it when vanilla skills work out for the unit clears!)

Finally here is my clear. I'm sorry this turned out to be my longest video...but there were moments that were too good that I had to share.

Team is +Def/-HP Halloween Henry, neutral Black Knight +1. +Atk/-Def Shiro +1 ans +Res/-Def Sakura.

Music is Trash Head from the King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match soundtrack

I guess Shiro and his Aunt Sakura joining the two armours counts as a half Hoshido-themed clear?  @Nanima

Some notes:

-Turn 1 confirms that giving Halloween Henry a Summoner support was a really good idea. I mean sure, he had his BK husbando and a Shiro Def Tactic to work with, but the fact that he tanks a fully charged Julius and just shrugs off the axe guy definitely is something. This is why I'm in love with Fury and haven't even given him Close Counter yet (besides indecision). Also he really needed Shiro's Def Tactic- just a normal Fortify Def buff from Sakura wasn't enough as the axe guy would actually do damage to Henry. 43 Def and 41 Res is just so satisfying to look at!

-Unfortunately, Def Tactic kind of works against me in the later turns because of the Panic Healer. Hence the video length but it was still worth it for Turn 1 alone.

-Sakura was my very first unit that had skills inherited to her (RIP Wrys). Boy does she use those first inherited skills well. Rehabilitate + Live to Serve+ Heavenly Light is a great healer kit combo. Again, Live to Serve is just so useful (especially after tanking Julius at 2:14), and is also why I haven't even thought about giving Sakura Wrathful Staff yet.

-Besides being a Def Tactic buffbot, Shiro was an important piece of the puzzle at 3:29. I needed someone to both survive the darn  Barb Shuriken Dagger user's Moonbow, but also not be able to counterattack. BK and Henry being able to counterattack worked against them, because double Moonbow is really annoying.

So yeah some of my best and most important units in my barracks held out in the end. Took a while to figure out especially against the dagger user but Sakura's healing sustain really helped out. I like using bulky units, but I'm sorry this is such a long video!

I am trying a themed Deirdre, Arvis, Saias and Dorcas clear in my other account (aka Dorcas shows the dysfunctional family what real family/love is about) but the dagger user is proving too much of a roadblock. I can finish him off with Dorcas but then Julius would be the other roadblock.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:17 AM, mampfoid said:

Julius Infernal in one turn: 

[Video]

I don't remember other GHBs with 6 starting opponents and reinforcements. Anyway, since they were nicely arranged, my boys and girls had no problem to get everything done before it got crowded. 

Tag list grew up recently:

Oh my goodness, you actually pulled out the Bartre!  I laughed when I saw him on your team at the start.  Hahahah, oh, that Smite, so beautifully used. ;): Nice!

On 5/14/2018 at 5:12 AM, Zeo said:

@Fei Mao @eclipse @Alexmender @mcsilas @Quintessence @SilvertheShadow @Glennstavos @Vaximillian @SatsumaFSoysoy @Hilda @Johann @Infinite Dreams @Nosmur @DarkLordIvy @Rezzy @Cute Chao @Usana @DefaultBeep @Poimagic @XRay

The map was intimidating, less intimidating than I gave it credit for though in actuality. This one only took 2 tries to get down. I treated Julius like Saias initially. Trying to avoid being detonated by him, but just on a whim I decided to see if Matthew could survive his bomb and sure enough, he did with HP to spare. After that it was just a matter of breaking down each enemy while keeping Matt healthy. Ayra didn't do too much here but she played a key role and got to get a little exercise still. 

For the most part it was another case of Matthew doing what he does best, walling like a champ and yet again proving his viability as a mixed tank dealing with magic and physical users alike.

[Video]

Lovely video, thanks for the tag.  I love me some tanky units, so maybe I'll promote him to 5* someday!  :wub:

@mcsilas The start seems less than optimal (Henry surviving that initial onslaught is surprising though), but lovely Sakura takes care of your wounded. Seems like you had to hold Shiro apart from the rest of the team as the opposing healer kept panicking everyone until turn 8. That poor sword fighter couldn't kill your Henry in so many turns, must have been frustrating for him. 

Yeah, the dagger user is annoying, I recognize this in my tries with the Ward Fliers team (like your mentioned, I prefer to kill everyone fast usually). Good you found a solution for him, congratulations! Good luck finding a solution also for your second account! 

@Infinite Dreams If I ever run out of Bartres, I may feel forced to give my remaining copy Galeforce for a clear. ^^ 

@mampfoid I think I just wanted to show off Henry's bulk in Turn 1 haha. I could have done a more optimal start but once I found out he can survive I just really wanted to continue from there haha.

Shiro was mostly bait anyway. I was less concerned about the Panic healer and more concerned about the mass Def/Res debuff from that dagger enemy. I wish we had more Barb Shuriken sources- a lot of dagger units would love 1 turn Moonbows. (I guess if Barb Shuriken didn't exist then that dagger would strangely be holding a Mochi instead? haha)

Brave Axe Bartre for Galeforce? :P

@Infinite Dreams Oh hey if you like tanky units, check out my clear :P

@mcsilas My suggestion is your Henry need Close Counter and Gronowl+ to be optimal and kill everything in this map more easily. It's good to see Sakura bring everyone back from death. One thing that we share same is our Shiro is somewhat useless in this map lol

Edited by Ginko

@Zeo Wow! A dagger only clear is something you don't see everyday and it was awesome! It is pretty interesting to see how they cleared the map without giving the armor or the archer a chance to spawn. Congrats on the awesome clear!

@Zeo @mampfoid @NegativeExponents- @Rafiel's Aria @Vaximillian @Rezzy @DefaultBeep @Infinite Dreams

Okay so I had to scrap the Dorcas idea, but here is my themed clear for Infernal of Arvis disciplining his son with his wife and other son. Oh and Zelgius.

Otherwise, Team Ploy since everyone has Ploys (although Zelgius's Panic Ploy doesn't really do much against the Infernal-boosted HP stats but he still technically has a Ploy in his base kit)

As for natures, team is neutral Arvis, +Res/-Atk Deirdre, neutral Saias and +Atk/-Spd Zelgius. Music is Fate from the King of Fighters XIII soundtrack.

-I have to say, I love Deirdre's +Res nature. With a Distant Def SS she just fires off one hell of a Glacies bomb (and even then, her hubby Arvis patches up her -Atk with Drive Atk). She disciplines Julius really well here, triangle disadvantage be damned. And I just really love hearing all her special lines.

-Also I love the starting lines of:

Arvis: What's your gambit?

Saias: I'll hear your plan.

Zelgius: What's your plan?

-Armoured Boots is such a great seal. Zelgius sneaking up on the left side to OHKO the dagger is SO satisfying since that dagger proves problems against all my mages. Also feels great to bypass trees unlike infantry units.

-One of those times were Ardent Sacrifice is better with Arvis than Reciprocal Aid, since micromanaged healing was essential especially when the Pain healer came out. Fun fact, one of my earlier failed attempts, I was left with the two healers but I just couldn't do enough damage with my mages, and Zelgius was low on health and would be decimated by the Pain healer. Another earlier clear had everyone at 1 HP.

-You may be confused by why I didn't let Arvis KO the first healer early on. Doing so would spawn the blue Owl mage, and he proves a problem to the left side of the map, so it was important to delay his appearance as much as I can until I can deal with the dagger user and archer.

@mampfoid @Zeo @mcsilas @NegativeExponents- Sorry I haven't responded to like...anything all week. It's been a hectic week between work, illness, race training, etc. I've been such an old lady and haven't been able to stay awake past like...8:45. I was going to go through and try to respond to everything I've been tagged in, but it all got pretty buried. So thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all of them! 

Also I've watched your vids! (And if I haven't I will as soon as I'm off of work.) I love seeing all the creativity and team diversity. It's super inspiring! So please keep tagging me even though I hardly ever give any feedback. I like having something to do when I'm on my deathbed.

@mcsilas Too bad about Dorcas, but also your ploy squad was worth the watch, congratulations! 

+RES natures are handy from time to time, my S!Corrin, TD!Nowi, Nowi, Genny, Dorcas, Hawkeye, Matthilda, Lucius Shigure, Eldigan and Sigurd say hello! Deirdres Glacies is really impressive. More impressive is your patience for micromanagement, there is a reason why I try to solve these maps fast. ^^

While there where many clutch moments and all of your units had low HP, you kept the killing always fast enough to have sufficient space to maneuver. Didn't know you had Saias promoted, how does he work out for you? 

@Rafiel's Aria Don't worry, just glad you enjoy the show(s). If you like I could tag you on my next clear as well. 

21 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

@mcsilas Too bad about Dorcas, but also your ploy squad was worth the watch, congratulations! 

+RES natures are handy from time to time, my S!Corrin, TD!Nowi, Nowi, Genny, Dorcas, Hawkeye, Matthilda, Lucius Shigure, Eldigan and Sigurd say hello! Deirdres Glacies is really impressive. More impressive is your patience for micromanagement, there is a reason why I try to solve these maps fast. ^^

While there where many clutch moments and all of your units had low HP, you kept the killing always fast enough to have sufficient space to maneuver. Didn't know you had Saias promoted, how does he work out for you? 

@Rafiel's Aria Don't worry, just glad you enjoy the show(s). If you like I could tag you on my next clear as well. 

I definitely wouldn't mind a tag. I mean I watch them anyway because they're always super fun to watch. Makes me wanna abuse Galeforce more. XD But I don't have nearly enough fodder... Maybe someday. 

@Rafiel's Aria Hope you're feeling better! Being sick is not fun :(

@mampfoid I didn't have any good Blue Restanks, and quad-ploy sounded like fun, so promoting Saias was a no-brainer. Ploy Squad sounds like a better name, I like it!

Yeah it was a lot of trial and error. Spent more time on it than I should have had, but at least it's done, and making my -Atk Deirdre work was worth it. Yeah if only I had the Galeforce fodder I can do more of this maps faster haha.

@Ginko Yeah I'd need an extra Boey first though. He's been kind of rare in that account. Gronnowl plus Fury sounds like fun (still indecisive about Close Counter but since he's an arena core it might be a good idea in the end)

@Wanda Nice clear! Nice touch waiting for Falchion to heal first before taking on that last armour!

7 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I like having something to do when I'm on my deathbed.

I only understood from @mcsilas' comment that you don't feel good, I hope you'll get well soon! 

32 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Ploy Squad sounds like a better name, I like it!

Cool, I only want 15% if you ever start a merchandise ;-P

Since Amelia was all kitted out for Arena I decided to see just how much of this map she could tank. And turns out she doesn't need anyone else to attack at all. And don't ask why I kept Rallying. The extra speed was totally unneeded. I kinda went overkill on the support. The real bench mark is the kills. So she needs Ike's Earth Season att and a drive attack seal. Beyond that all she needs is a fortify armor on that first turn to make sure Julius doesn't drop her hp too low to handle the axe safely. Or basically it turned out I didn't need to change anything from what they were running for Arena, so all that time I spent trying to figure out how to max her defenses with drive res/spur res/2x drive def were unneeded.

https://streamable.com/sdibo

And. . . apparently I can't figure out how to get a streamable video to embed. Don't much feel like just registering new accounts for stuff. Anyways I was just surprised she could handle all those reds.

19 hours ago, mcsilas said:

@Rafiel's Aria Hope you're feeling better! Being sick is not fun :(

19 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I only understood from @mcsilas' comment that you don't feel good, I hope you'll get well soon! 

Thanks! I'm feeling much better than I did last week. Took the day off to be lazy. Gonna' enjoy a writing date with my beau and keep grinding for SP and HM on Heroes. Trying to creep my way back onto the forum a little bit once some of the general excitement over things dies down. XD