Purple Mage

Pokémon: Project Philippines

Recommended Posts

I'm planning for a Pokémon hack set in a region based in the Philippines. I tried to gather all the Pokémon that seem to fit in the country, and the result is found below. Keep in mind that some of the legendaries at the bottom of the list are placeholders. As for the setting:

Spoiler

The player starts in Digos City, a small city at the southeastern part of the map. Here, they will get a starter Pokémon: Turtwig, Torchic, or Totodile. (I just noticed that all three start with T. The theme was supposed to be Philippine turtles, cockfighting, and crocodiles.) Route 1 will be going south to General Santos City, where the first gym is found. After that, you'll head north to Route 2, which goes from Digos to Davao City, the largest city in the southern part of the map. The second gym will be there. Then Route 3 will go northwest, to Cagayan de Oro City, the second-largest city in the south where the third gym is found. The player will have to go west to Zamboanga City (I'm not gonna bother adding links anymore) for the fourth gym, then take a boat from CDO to Cebu. The southwestern part of the map will be converted into a desert full of Ground tyoes, as that is where all of the kebab (if you know what I mean) live, and they came from the desert.

Cebu is the first place in the middle part of the map, and where the fifth gym is found. The middle part of the map will mostly be filled with areas that are not gyms, possibly something plot-related. The northern part of the map starts off in the city of Naga in the southeast of the northern map, where the nearby volcano has inspired the locals to use Fire types and make spicy food, and also home to the sixth gym. After that, a train will be used to head to Manila, the capital, home to the Pokémon League and the seventh gym, which will be Poison type due to the pollution. After that will be a hike up north to the mountain ranges surrounding Baguio City, the coldest part of the map due to its elevation. It is not cold enough for snow, but hail occurs uncommonly, making the locals, including the eighth gym, use the few available Ice-types.

After the gyms, the player will finish up the evil organization subplot, go through the Elite Four, then beat the Champion, finishing the game.

Now, all I need are some people to help me with ideas, such as Pokémon availability (maximum of 250), trainer teams, location themes, and sprite and artwork. I have an idea of a trainer class that paces around, sells ice cream, and uses the Vanillite line (Vanillite will be one of the few Ice types available because we have Sorbetes), and a Farmer trainer class which uses grass types. I also need someone to help with enemy team composition, as I'm planning for a Bonus Boss involving (MASSIVE SPOILERS BELOW)

Spoiler

Thanos in the mountain area, disguised as a farmer, with a full team of six Pokémon representing the Infinity Stones. This is because his final scene in Infinity War was filmed in the Banaue Rice Terraces in the Philippines.

Aside from the main rival with the starter advantage that you can name, I'm planning for a secondary rival whose main Pokémon is Vanilluxe. I'll need some help with the script, although I will lay down some guidelines on words: Swearing will be limited to less offensive curses such as "crap" and the occasional "bastard/dastard", and some coming from the local language and its dialects, such as "buang" (look it up). These are the same basic rules I apply to my fanfic writing.

I haven't decided for half of the Gym types, although the latter half (in order) will be Water, Fire, Poison, Ice.

So can you guys supply me with ideas? I'll need help from my fellow Filipino users.

PhilDex.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I'm in the US and know next to nothing about the Philippines, but this seems solid enough so far! Not sure about the crossover thing you've got going on with the bonus boss but I guess it works, and I can see him working the same way Red did in the Johto games, where you fight him after the main story and he's the REAL final boss. The area he's fought in should be unaccessible until after the league.

Judging from this and some of your other posts the vanillite line is your favorite pokemon I assume?

Good luck. I tried Pokemon rom hacking once and I couldn't even figure out how to change the title screen because I suck. If you need an alternative, Pokemon Essentials is what I'd use. You'll need RPG Maker for it though, but you can easily find a crack of that if you look. Google is your friend.

You might want to make some fakemon to use as legendaries, base them off the mythology of the Philippines/the mythical creatures ancient Filipinos believed in if you can. Surely the country has its own mythology? Kinda like the Americas have Bigfoot, Quetzacoatl, and Chupacabra to name a few.

Also the resident evil team can be based on drug smugglers because doesn't the Philippines have a lot of trouble with that sort of crime? Sorry if I'm mistaken. They can be similar to Team Skull and maybe smuggle valuable items and medicine if you don't want to make them smuggle actual illegal drugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Unfortunately I'm in the US and know next to nothing about the Philippines, but this seems solid enough so far! Not sure about the crossover thing you've got going on with the bonus boss but I guess it works, and I can see him working the same way Red did in the Johto games, where you fight him after the main story and he's the REAL final boss. The area he's fought in should be unaccessible until after the league.

Judging from this and some of your other posts the vanillite line is your favorite pokemon I assume?

Good luck. I tried Pokemon rom hacking once and I couldn't even figure out how to change the title screen because I suck. If you need an alternative, Pokemon Essentials is what I'd use. You'll need RPG Maker for it though, but you can easily find a crack of that if you look. Google is your friend.

You might want to make some fakemon to use as legendaries, base them off the mythology of the Philippines/the mythical creatures ancient Filipinos believed in if you can. Surely the country has its own mythology? Kinda like the Americas have Bigfoot, Quetzacoatl, and Chupacabra to name a few.

Also the resident evil team can be based on drug smugglers because doesn't the Philippines have a lot of trouble with that sort of crime? Sorry if I'm mistaken. They can be similar to Team Skull and maybe smuggle valuable items and medicine if you don't want to make them smuggle actual illegal drugs.

Nice ideas. I know how to do hacking sorcery, although I suck at all of the graphical and artistic parts. I'm terrible with scripts too. However, I can design the basic map layouts, replace some Pokémon with the ones I need, and edit attacks, stats, and items, although the last one is a bit limited.

I have an idea of an NPC in the starting city to sell Vanillite, by utilizing the Magikarp Salesman script, but replacing the Magikarp with Vanillite ang changing the dialogue. That's a bit easy to do, but I'll need the sprites for the Sorbetero (Ice Cream Man) trainer class I'm gonna have.

Vanillite is my main Pokémon.

I don't really want to use fakemon, as that might turn away some potential players. However, some Pokémon from later generations will replace existing mons that do not match the setting, such as Vanillite replacing Hoppip.

The base rom will be FireRed patched with MrDollSteak's Decap and Attack patch, which adds moves, abilities, and features found in the later generations.

That smugglers idea sounds great! I think I'll use that, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome, glad I could help with something.

Why would fakemon turn people away though? A lot of people love them. If you just use them for the legendaries it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Pokémon hack, huh. Sounds interesting.

You're hacking FireRed, huh. Oh oh oh, if you want ideas, how about turning the S.S. Anne into a reference to the Manila Galleons? With mentions that it makes trips between the region with a far-off region that's based on Mexico. Unless you already planned for that, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A Pokémon hack, huh. Sounds interesting.

You're hacking FireRed, huh. Oh oh oh, if you want ideas, how about turning the S.S. Anne into a reference to the Manila Galleons? With mentions that it makes trips between the region with a far-off region that's based on Mexico. Unless you already planned for that, that is.

Good idea. The sailors inside could use Ludicolo as their main Pokémon.

Who should the Elite Four be? Mayne it should be the past four presidents (they're still alive) in chronological order, with the Champion being the current president. However, I can't really think of ideas for their teams.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

You're welcome, glad I could help with something.

Why would fakemon turn people away though? A lot of people love them. If you just use them for the legendaries it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Some people are purists.

Let me try to summon some people that might be able to help with ideas: @Randoman, @Czarpy, @shadowofchaos, and @henrymidfields might answer my call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of the elites and champion being past and current presidents. As for their teams, it doesn't really matter but you might be able to do some research and figure out what would fit best based on the personality and/or policies. Like if one president cracked down on the drug trade a lot, his team can be good against whatever the evil team uses, so if they use poison types he'd use psychic or ground types. 

Yeah, some people don't like fakemon, true. But you'll probably have to do something with legendaries regardless. Maybe use the ones that fit the Philippines and its climate the most? Moltres on top of the volcano or Entei in a cave in it? Of course the resident evil team will be going after a legendary or two. They'd be drug smugglers yes, but even they can see the benefit of having a legendary.

Edited by Dragoncat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I like the idea of the elites and champion being past and current presidents. As for their teams, it doesn't really matter but you might be able to do some research and figure out what would fit best based on the personality and/or policies. Like if one president cracked down on the drug trade a lot, his team can be good against whatever the evil team uses, so if they use poison types he'd use psychic or ground types. 

Yeah, some people don't like fakemon, true. But you'll probably have to do something with legendaries regardless. Maybe use the ones that fit the Philippines and its climate the most? Moltres on top of the volcano or Entei in a cave in it? Of course the resident evil team will be going after a legendary or two. They'd be drug smugglers yes, but even they can see the benefit of having a legendary.

Good ideas. President 1 will use Fighting/Steel types, president 2 will use Dark types, number 3 will use Psychic and Fairy, while 4 will use Electric. The current president will have bulky and mostly physical-oriented Pokémon.

Zapdos in a power plant, Articuno in the cold mountains, Moltres at a volcano, and Lugia could be found in the desolate landscape of a city devastated by a typhoon. That could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

Good idea. The sailors inside could use Ludicolo as their main Pokémon.

Who should the Elite Four be? Mayne it should be the past four presidents (they're still alive) in chronological order, with the Champion being the current president. However, I can't really think of ideas for their teams.

Depending on how you're going to decide which Pokémon are appearing overall, other choices for variety there can be Wooper and Maractus. Don't know if you'll use beyond Gen V, otherwise I'd say Hawlucha as well since that one is quite blatant. XD

As an alternate suggestion, I would say you could have the Elite Four represent the various stages of history. Like, one based on pre-colonial times, then other based on the Captaincy General, then other from the time as an American territory, then another for post-independence.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hii~  If it would be possible, could you add a few events with the enemy team? Ex:

In Manila, have the player join forces with the police (PNP) in a raid against smuggling.

In the endgame, the player works together with the NBI to stop the enemy team, only to find the leader of NBI is actually the leader of the enemy team.

Edited by Ephraim's Babe
additional example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ephraim's Babe said:

Hii~  If it would be possible, could you add a few events with the enemy team? Ex:

In Manila, have the player join forces with the police (PNP) in a raid against smuggling.

In the endgame, the player works together with the NBI to stop the enemy team, only to find the leader of NBI is actually the leader of the enemy team.

Good ideas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the double-post guys, but I've made some updates to the dex and which mons get replaced. It's still not final though, because I still need more Spanish/American/Japanese mons. So far:

Spanish: Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Tauros
American: Rufflet, Braviary, Natu, Xatu, Trubbish, Garbador
Japanese: Nincada, Ninjask, Shedinja, Magikarp, Gyarados, Snorlax, Makuhita, Hariyama, Baltoy, Claydol

But I think that my current dex listing is good enough. Take note that I re-typed some mons, like Golduck is now part Psychic and Blastoise is now part Steel.

I also added the boss list, except for the evil team, because I can't think of anything yet. Please help me with my team compositions.

PhilDex.xlsx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you put that on Google Docs? Otherwise I can't help you because my computer can't open it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crap. I'll see if I can do that. But for now, I need to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh cool! A Philippine-inspired Pokemon hack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.