Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate confirmed for August 24th on Switch

The DanMan

Bus journeys just got a whole lot better again.

Nintendo will keep the classic MH style, Console can have the new, I'll get both and enjoy both (Though this portably will rack up more play time since I'll just take this everywhere)

I had given up hope that this would ever be localized, but boy am I glad it happened. Definitely getting this the day it releases. I've been keeping busy with other games, but I slowly started itching for a good monster hunt lately. Probably will jump back into MHGen to tide me over especially since I'll be able to port my file to MHGU.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Outta nowhere.

As someone who found World to be a major disappointment, this is amazing.

As someone who has no mean to play World and probably won't have the chance to play it, I'm kind of curious as to why you found it disappointing. 

1 hour ago, LuxSpes said:

As someone who has no mean to play World and probably won't have the chance to play it, I'm kind of curious as to why you found it disappointing. 

I'll just link the review I posted on gamefaqs (which, funnily enough, become one of the 5 reviews of the month and got me a $50 amazon giftcard that's going towards this game now): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/211368-monster-hunter-world/reviews/165874

Though definitely a bit too melodramatic and raw (with a few typos that prove I wasn't in the mood to proofread), I stand by most of what I said in it.
(Also, something I didn't mention about hitboxes: Kushala's/Teostra's claw swipe actually goes over you and harmlessly clips through you at the range they should be hitting you. ...Making me question the point of the disjoint in the first place.)

Huh, a Monster Hunter game for the Switch? Guess I have another game to place on my wishlist.

Hopefully my lack of recent MH knowledge (I only played Tri on Wii and MH3U on 3DS) will not screw me over too much.

8 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I'll just link the review I posted on gamefaqs (which, funnily enough, become one of the 5 reviews of the month and got me a $50 amazon giftcard that's going towards this game now): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/211368-monster-hunter-world/reviews/165874

Though definitely a bit too melodramatic and raw (with a few typos that prove I wasn't in the mood to proofread), I stand by most of what I said in it.
(Also, something I didn't mention about hitboxes: Kushala's/Teostra's claw swipe actually goes over you and harmlessly clips through you at the range they should be hitting you. ...Making me question the point of the disjoint in the first place.)

That was an interesting review to read since it kind of confirms some of the things I had gathered watching trailers and gameplay footage. Hitboxes being wonky again is a shame since they were pretty solid for the most part in Gen. The part regarding how Archdemon mode was gutted is particularly of note for me since DBs are my go-to weapons and maintaining the Demon gauge by finding opportunities to go into demon mode is part of why I like the weapon. I

I wonder if people who's first MH was World and that own a Switch will be interested in getting XX if only because XX has around 3 times the amount of monsters World has (and a lot of what I consider the most entertaining monsters to fight aren't in World as of now. Though not having played world, I can't say if some of the new monsters are just as good as them.)

4 hours ago, Sire said:

Huh, a Monster Hunter game for the Switch? Guess I have another game to place on my wishlist.

Hopefully my lack of recent MH knowledge (I only played Tri on Wii and MH3U on 3DS) will not screw me over too much.

If you played 3U, I think Gen does a decent enough job easing you into the game. The major changes I can think of right now is that underwater combat is no longer at thing and instead you can now attack mid-air after jumping from a wall or a ledge to try to mount the monster. Though you might want to look a bit of info about the two new weapons (Charge Blade and Insect Glaive), the hunter arts and the hunting styles that are present in MHGU.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:34 PM, Sire said:

It will just make things feel even fresher, jumping from 3rd gen to... Gen than going from 4th gen.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, LuxSpes said:

That was an interesting review to read since it kind of confirms some of the things I had gathered watching trailers and gameplay footage. Hitboxes being wonky again is a shame since they were pretty solid for the most part in Gen. The part regarding how Archdemon mode was gutted is particularly of note for me since DBs are my go-to weapons and maintaining the Demon gauge by finding opportunities to go into demon mode is part of why I like the weapon. I

I wonder if people who's first MH was World and that own a Switch will be interested in getting XX if only because XX has around 3 times the amount of monsters World has (and a lot of what I consider the most entertaining monsters to fight aren't in World as of now. Though not having played world, I can't say if some of the new monsters are just as good as them.)

Gunner weapons also got heavily simplified; LBG lost rapid fire and simply gained the ability to plant mines, with HBG losing siege mode and gaining... an entire button dedicated to one of two specialized ammos (machine gun fire or long-range explosives) that regenerates over time. And the Bow completely lost its shot type variety; all normal charges are Rapid, all stroncharges are Wide (especially bad as the entire gameplay of the Bow previously was charging up to max level and immediately firing that same shot again with the strongcharge), and all Arc Shots are Focus. What did it gain? Wyvern Piercer. A powerful, multi-hitting attack that takes time to charge and locks you in place, being the only thing you'll ever use if you want to get specific damage.

I've seen a fair bit of hype for it in some circles, at least. I'm hoping it does well enough to convince Capcom that two different styles of MH games is a feasible prospect.

Most of World's monsters are either blatant or conceptual rehashes of older ones. Pukei Pukei is literally just Kut Ku without his pecking attack, poison instead of fire, and a tongue sweep; Paolumu is another Kut Klone, this time also lacking a projectile and anything unique outside of a couple attacks when it inflates its neck sack and floats around. Anjanath is a Brute Wyvern, and overall conceptually is a lamer Glavenus (a T-rex like monster explicitly talked about as being an adaption of Rathalos for the ground that can heat up its mouth for more powerful attacks with a charging period that you can knock it out off). Even Legiana, despite mostly using new moves, feels like an older flying wyvern (spending half the fight in the air out of reach, compared to Seregios and Astalos only going airborne as part of certain attacks/strings of attacks). Tobi Kadachi has a unique moveset, but that's overshadowed by its funky hitboxes and conceptually being Nargacuga + Zinogre (acrobatic tree predator that can charge itself up into an electrified state). I'd say the only new monster that truly feels new is Odogaron, and even then it (a) shares a skeleton and moves with Tobi Kadachi (though nothing too egregious in the hitbox department) and (b) can inflict Bleed with its basic claw strikes (which IMO is the worst status effect before they changed it in World where you get damaged if you do anything but stay still). Heck, even then its not unique in the equipment department; its set skill is literally Glavenus' Heavy Polish, just renamed as Perfect Polish.

Tri had a smaller roster than World, but made each monster feel reasonably unique and only loosely shared concepts/moves between the old and new (Qurupeco is an early game wyvern with fire and a pecking attack a la YKK, but it has mostly new animations and unique aspects like its wing flints and calling other monsters). World tried to go for quantity over quality, and it shows.