Is this game winnable without restore staves?

Icelerate

I'm down to one restore staff with one use on chapter 28x and will most likely have to use a hammerne to repair it. The next chapter is the infamous CoD. Unfortunately, you can't buy anymore restore staves until chapter 31x. What type of design is this? I was planning to buy a bunch of restore staves in chapter 24 but I thought I ended up doing so due to failing on an attempt where I did just that. Because of this, I ended up not buying a single restore staff through out the game. 

Just now, Icelerate said:

Hector Hard mode. 

If you are really really careful, then it may be possible to win without using restore staves. I've done it before but I'm not sure how.

Just now, BluJay5678 said:

If you are really really careful, then it may be possible to win without using restore staves. I've done it before but I'm not sure how.

Well I'll just save my last restore staff use until this chapter is over. One restore staff in the next couple of chapters will be bothersome. 

People actually use Restore Staves? Yes, the game is absolutely beatable without Restore staves.

You should be fine so long as you're careful. Praying to RNJesus sometimes helps. Bait enemies with actually dangerous staves (ie Berserk) with your local sage or bishop or someone equally high in Resistance, and reserve your Restore for situations like "Oh no, Hector just got Berserked and is going to murder my entire team" or "Oh no, Eliwood got Berserked and is going to get himself killed more than usual". If you're feeling too anxious or unlucky, try to make the Status staff users waste their shots on your high Res unit at the cost of potentially 3 turns of staying still.

Or, you can always just use your Hammerne on your Restore if you want. I at least have almost never had a game where I actually felt the need to use a Hammerne, the sole exception being back when I overplayed SS Hard mode in an effort to max out everyone and wanted to use it to repair Myrrh's Dragonstone.

5 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

People actually use Restore Staves? Yes, the game is absolutely beatable without Restore staves.

You should be fine so long as you're careful. Praying to RNJesus sometimes helps. Bait enemies with actually dangerous staves (ie Berserk) with your local sage or bishop or someone equally high in Resistance, and reserve your Restore for situations like "Oh no, Hector just got Berserked and is going to murder my entire team" or "Oh no, Eliwood got Berserked and is going to get himself killed more than usual". If you're feeling too anxious or unlucky, try to make the Status staff users waste their shots on your high Res unit at the cost of potentially 3 turns of staying still.

Or, you can always just use your Hammerne on your Restore if you want. I at least have almost never had a game where I actually felt the need to use a Hammerne, the sole exception being back when I overplayed SS Hard mode in an effort to max out everyone and wanted to use it to repair Myrrh's Dragonstone.

That cannot happen unless they are the only units in range. The AI always targets the unit lowest in the deployment list. 

3 hours ago, L9999 said:

That cannot happen unless they are the only units in range. The AI always targets the unit lowest in the deployment list. 

That sounds extremely exploitable. Does it apply to any of the other games in the series or just FE 7?

Just make sure your high res units are low on the deployment list, and then make sure they're in range. Staves (probably) wasted.

I've literally argued with someone who actually thinks that staves above Heal are unnecessary in another community. I would say "yes" based on that, but like everyone else basically said, you'd have to be pretty lucky to get by without one.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:07 AM, Mad-manakete said:

That sounds extremely exploitable. Does it apply to any of the other games in the series or just FE 7?

Just make sure your high res units are low on the deployment list, and then make sure they're in range. Staves (probably) wasted.

It works in all 3 GBA games, the devs copypasted the code for each and didn't fix any AI exploits except "boss attack before enemy attack." Speaking of res, you don't need a high res unit per say, it can be someone useless (like Fae in FE6) or the least important unit of your strategy. The idea is to make them bait and with some knowledge on the RNG make your units dodge them.