Vestaria Gaiden: Silverbirch's Sacred Sword - Details from late 2017

VincentASM

Article on the main site

Tentative logo:

vestaria-g-title.jpg

One of the big new features is disposable characters, which are like generic soldiers, but slightly fancier. They exist so you don't have to worry about character deaths as much.

You can view a bunch of disposable characters in this blog post. Note that the latter half includes some plot important characters. You can also refer to the table in my article to figure out who's who.

This Gaiden was originally planned for a Summer release, but there's a lot more work involved than expected, and private play-testing is scheduled for the end of this year. So it's looking like it might not come out until 2019. But we've got the English version of Vestaria Saga I, plus the Lucca Gaiden to hopefully look forward to.

Edited by VincentASM

Disposable units sounds like an interesting idea. Permadeath still exists and you can't just spam Mechs, you have a finite number of units, but it does play nicely with the Strategy side of SRPG. I'd be fine with it in FE. Why back in PoR I liked to imagine if during the Geoffrey rescue chapter you started controlling him and his generics, and only a few turns in did Ike's crew show up. T'would have been neat. 

Disposables also make character and story writing a little easier because you don't have to characterize the disposables and have a freer hand in their fates in the plot and gameplay. It's easier to have them in one fight, and then get rid of them several chapters later long before the game is over.

An up to 15 Chapters Gaiden is more than what I would expect for a side story, how many battles was Vestaria again? The dedicated dialogue chapter- well I'll know what to expect, and not have to be like "c'mon, get to the battle/post battle save screen already!". 

And there is a playable wyvern? She speaks human language? Did VS at all feature an intelligent dragon race? I don't think it mentioned it in the superficial stuff mentioned here on SF. I remember there was some special race, but I don't recall anything of it being draconic.

This is appearing to be rather creative so far, I'm liking Kaga's all sorts of crazy and complicated characters and skills approach to things, at least on paper, haven't played any of his games... yet. That will change.

And to think he is doing all this with a generic game maker, proof you don't always need a electronic whiteboard or laptops to teach, a stick and the dirt beneath your feet can work just as well in the hands of a skilled teacher (although things are much less of hassle if you do have the laptops). Just to use a little metaphor.

This looks really cool. As i said in the other Thread, Some Kaga craziness is good for the heart  in limits however

Let's hope the English vestaria Saga version generated enough interest so we can get the ''sequels'' too!

Edited by Shrimperor

21 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

If I poke Vincent with a stick will he translate faster? 

I'm asking for research purposes. 

What am I translating? XD

I have nothing to do with the official VS translation BTW. Although I would love to be involved, but I don't even know who's doing it...

13 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I have nothing to do with the official VS translation BTW. Although I would love to be involved, but I don't even know who's doing it...

Not even I know, and people have actually accused me of being American Kaga I know his blog and notes so well.

Btw Vincent, I'll need to track down the Twitter post later, but one of his Twitter posts a while back now stated the Zeid Gaiden was actually around 25 chapters long now, not the 10-15 mentioned in your news post.

14 minutes ago, MCProductions said:

one of his Twitter posts a while back now stated the Zeid Gaiden was actually around 25 chapters long now

What?

Were it not for FE Gaiden (and SRW Alpha/OG Gaiden, I'd ask for the title to be changed to "Vestaria Saga: The Full-Length Game Featuring Zeid Which Isn't So Grandiose", it's a little misleading calling just it a side story.

Hopefully VS1 sells enough aboard to warrant us getting the rest of the games. It was said that while the Japanese version will be free, the international one will have a price tag, correct? They haven't said what it'll be, but I'd guess it'd be something capable of covering the translation costs, not sure how much if any more they'd ask for. I'd pay for it, particularly if a little of my patronage goes into the development of VS2 (thats the final planned title right?).

Given this is an SRPG Maker game, albeit by a former SRPG master for some notoriety and apparently great gameplay, I'm going to keep my expectations low regarding the quality of the translation, not terrible, but I'm expect some nuance of the original Japanese script will be lost unnecessarily in a few instances (well more frequently than in a game with an actual budget). But transration bad care not I, plaiabyljty Engrish in is vyttel beri much then no thing.

Edit: Maybe I'm setting the bar too low after reading a lot of Legends of Localization articles.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 hours ago, VincentASM said:

One of the big new features is disposable characters, which are like generic soldiers, but slightly fancier. They exist so you don't have to worry about character deaths as much.

Ugh.

If they have names, portraits or just any sort of individuality, they are not disposable to me. :(

Edited by Vince777

8 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Ugh.

If they have names, portraits or just any sort of individuality, they are not disposable to me. :(

they look pretty generic and have like one or to lines

21 hours ago, VincentASM said:

My bad! I thought you worked on the first part of VS for some reason.

• 1 month later...