No Plans to Use 'Virtual Console Banner' for Classic Games on Switch

https://kotaku.com/virtual-console-is-not-coming-to-switch-nintendo-says-1825848253

This is a few days old, but I didn't see anyone post anything about this or didn't know about it.

"“There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku in an e-mail late last night."

They did say they old games might be made available on the Switch via other means, but we'll have to see what that means, without much to go on right now.

Since this is SF, there goes any easy hopes of bringing Tellius to the masses, since there were those Gamecube VC rumors. But there are other games I'm saddened about that we won't be getting because of that: PM: TTYD, the Baten Kaitos duology, the one Custom Robo game (not like I would actually expect it to be added), Viewtiful Joe if Capcom permitted, SMS, Fox Only Final Destination. The GC might not have been Ninty's best console, but I grew up with it (and still fortunately have mine) and would like its greats and goods more widespread.

And of course it is a little saddening that even for the NES, SNES, and 64 there will be no VC when they've had it before, though NES titles will be available some other way. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Topic title was yellow journalism

I tried to make a thread, but my OP would have come off as exceptionally whiny. I'm a long term Virtual Console fan. It kept my faith in Nintendo games through the dark ages of the Wii and Wii U eras. Twelve years of starving for first party meals while I get table scraps from all the great NES and SNES games I missed out on due to my age. I'm also a fan of game preservation efforts. I often hear it said that an estimated 50% of film produced before 1950 - that's a about half of the history of that medium - no longer exists due to neglectful preservation efforts. Granted, you won't find an incredible blockbuster among those films, but I think that's where we're headed with games. Physical hardware degrades. Repairs are possible with the right parts, but only enthusiasts go through the effort. The Phillips CD-I is softly going extinct, original Gameboy screens are fading out, game cartridges with internal save batteries are having those batteries run out. I've had two first party wii remotes that corroded to the point of disrepair because their batteries spontaneously exploded. 

But, okay, this news is not the end of the world. We're effectively right where we've been for the last year waiting for more information. But I still have a lot I want to talk about.

29 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The Virtual Console banner is gone, but that says nothing about the long-term possibilities of those games being released on the Switch.

This "name change" comment I see a lot, and it's a bit too optimistic for me. That spokesperson was answering the question of whether Virtual Console was coming. And his answer was "No, and if they do it won't be called virtual console because it's not anything I've heard of". That's far from a yes, and it's definitely not a "probably". 

When Nintendo got rid of Club Nintendo, people were upset, but optimistically predicted it would be replaced with a similar or even better rewards program. The new rewards program came...and it took two years before we finally got the ability to spend our coins on full eshop releases like with Club Nintendo. Two years to get back to where we were with the old system. People forgot about the program by that point. I'd be genuinely shocked if anybody reading this was aware of this change. Here's another prediction we got wrong, the 3DS Ambassador program. We were sure GBA virtual console games were coming to 3DS. They came instead to Wii U years later, with no option to nab those ambassador games on 3DS despite them being fully functional on the system. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Nintendo having the capability to do something doesn't mean they will. 

Another comment I see a lot is people glad VC is gone because VC was an overpriced mess. And they're right by modern standards, but that doesn't mean Virtual Console couldn't adapt and change without taking a new name. Wii U VC was a poor followup because everything about the Wii U was ill conceived and nobody bought it. The Switch is a totally successful console that pumped more than enough money to justify a new and improved storefront with better pricing and better release schedules. If people pump that much money into indie games on this system, then they'll pay for some games that are already ready to go on Nintendo emulators. And personally, I'd rather have another bad round of Virtual Console than no Virtual Console at all. But again, just because they can do something about Virtual Console doesn't mean they will.

I'm so jaded by this news that I haven't even talked about it's "replacement" and I won't, at least not now.

personally really liked the virtual console brand name, but I understand why they dropped it. still want past FEs on my Switch, and we're probably getting a new vc anyway so I'm not too worried

I'd like to make a request to @Interdimensional Observer to change the title to "No Plans to Use 'Virtual Console Banner' for Classic Games". Even seeing what Glennstavos said, it irks me that reporters are saying that the classic game shop is not coming back just from seeing "no Virtual Console" when it's possibly a rebrand.

To quote YouTuber Tom Fawkes' Tweet:

"Either Nintendo is really bad at phrasing or game journalists love branding them as the bad guy for clicks. Every headline says "No Virtual Console on Switch", but the actual articles mention that they're not using the name Virtual Console anymore."

I initially reacted like there was no classic game shop, but now I'm gonna just wait and see.

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

I'd like to make a request to @Interdimensional Observer to change the title to "No Plans to Use 'Virtual Console Banner' for Classic Games". Even seeing what Glennstavos said, it irks me that reporters are saying that the classic game shop is not coming back just from seeing "no Virtual Console" when it's possibly a rebrand.

"Either Nintendo is really bad at phrasing or game journalists love branding them as the bad guy for clicks. Every headline says "No Virtual Console on Switch", but the actual articles mention that they're not using the name Virtual Console anymore."

I initially reacted like there was no classic game shop, but now I'm gonna just wait and see.

Kotaku has been known for their clickbaity titles for awhile, it's how their website gets the vast majority of their views.

Its an old hat at this point but I also agree with a title change for the reasons you've listed.

19 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I'd like to make a request to @Interdimensional Observer to change the title to "No Plans to Use 'Virtual Console Banner' for Classic Games"

Fine, I'll change it. It does sound a little too attention seeking and misleading, and lazy.

My sincere apologies for the error.

Ideally, if Nintendo wanted to make their old games available to all all the time, they'd put them on the PC, but there is no way they'd undercut their consoles by doing that. iOS/Android games is the first time they've stepped onto platforms they don't own, but none of those games are actual old games, they're new iOS-designed ones.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I was bummed when I read that VC is going away.  I loved being able to play EarthBound 1 and 2 on my Wii U as well as the Game Boy Zelda games and several others on my 3DS.  I am really hoping Nintendo has a new version of VC in the works because I was really hoping with the Switch being region free I could get FE 4 and 5 on it and be able to play them legally with out having to pay through the nose for a copy, I don't care if it would be in Japanese I just want a decent priced legal version.  I wonder if Switch being region free has anything to do with this?  Well maybe E3 will have some good news about digital versions of classic games on the Switch.

I'm not optimistic about a VC future, even under a new name. They've already shown what they want to do with classic games - a subscription service tied to their online features. If that proves even remotely successful for them, that's how things will remain. If the subscription service works, I think we can safely say goodbye to ever being able to buy digital versions of older Nintendo games on the Switch a la Virtual Console.

Someone mentioned the importance of game preservation, and I completely agree. It's the big reason I'm not a fan of some of the changes made in the digital age. Games that aren't popular are disappearing. Subscription services have smaller lineups than a digital retro store equivalent has in most cases, and with Nintendo's service launching with only 20 games, and only NES titles at that, when they've had up through the N64 two consoles in a row (Wii and Wii U), really gives me no confidence in this program. The fact that I don't play much online multiplayer games, and that I don't like subscription services for video games, means I'm not touching this.

If a VIrtual Console equivalent does show up again, I'll be so happy, and frankly, shocked. But I'm glad I have my 3DS and Wii U, and when those eshops get close to shutting down, you can bet I'll be buying a lot of VC titles on there to make sure I have them in the future. 

Also, the more stuff like this happens to video games, the more thankful I am for people making emulators and ROMs. Yes they're illegal (technically), but that's the only viable way to play some video games now, and I think that list of games only really available through emulation is going to expand, unless something is changed to try and preserve games beyond just the popular ones. (Also thankful that I've kept my GBA and GCN, and that the Wii U and 3DS are backwards compatible)

Hey, now I look almost intelligent for holding on to my Game Boy Color and other old systems for so long, cool.

On-Topic, frankly, I didn't expect this, but it doesn't surprise me - I had a bad feeling the moment Nintendo said 'Paid Subscription' so this isn't much more than the beginning of finding out just how much they'd like to screw us over for our cash. On the other hand, it's still early enough that a definite opinion could easily be misguided, so I'm keeping my expectations vague(but low) for now.

2 hours ago, NoirCore said:

While I don't love the presence of clickbait, I prefer the "no virtual console" narrative over the alternatives I'm seeing. For one thing, it's a true statement, even if the implications aren't totally correct. And a little pushback would be nice right now. Instead of people hounding Nintendo with the question of what will become of classic games, I see people saying a mix of "hey, let's wait and see" like we haven't been doing that for a year and a half, and "pfft, Virtual Console sucks anyway. Good riddance." Both from Nintendo fans. We should be calling Nintendo out on their promises. Here's some quotes

January 2017:

The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we’re going to provide through a global app. We think that that’s just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

June 2017:

“As we were proceeding along development, there were things we wanted to do with Nintendo Switch online that extended the development time,” Fils-Aime said. “When you look at the products [from Nintendo] that have been delayed, typically it's worth the wait. Breath of the Wild is a great example.”

That also includes Virtual Console, Fils-Aime said, something that has been completely absent from the Switch despite its success on the Wii and Wii U. While Nintendo has mentioned the Classic Game Selection, a feature bundled with the online service that will give fans a free, classic Nintendo title with new online multiplayer, the ability to buy and purchase old games has been absent from the discussion.

Virtual Console was always implied to come to Nintendo Switch until this news broke. Everybody anticipated it even if they didn't particularly want it. We were told to wait for more info, and then bam, over a year later, cancellation. You have to admit that this is a frustrating result. Yes, obviously there COULD come a point where Nintendo surprises us with a new storefront, but the time to tell us was the same day the online service was detailed, if not sooner. But they've gone silent on the subject. When the N64 or Gameboy Classic is announced about 40 days from today, the writing will be on the wall - they're not interested. I'll be the happiest person here to be proven wrong on this. But with the examples I cited earlier like the Ambassador Program and Club Nintendo, if you're honestly convinced classic games are coming in a manner comparable to previous systems, you are either ignorant or the bad kind of Nintendo fan. Having that be the mob mentality is far worse for the company than some clickbait negative titles that Nintendo is 100% capable of getting in front of.

I imagine the ARM processors in the switch adds difficulty to the VC process which might not make it financially viable for Nintendo. Emulation is not exactly great for ARM based PCs  either. 

"No Virtual Console on Switch " is a 100% true headline. A lot of people defend this move with statements like "it's just a name change" or "classic games are still coming", but the facts are that Nintendo has only confirmed NES games are coming as part of the online and that they are not bringing Virtual Console back. If they don't want people to interpret that as bad news, they should've added a simple "with SNES and other platforms as a possibility in the future" to the initial announcement. That's totally on Nintendo, not on reporters. As of right now the only confirmed thing is that the Switch is getting NES games. Which honestly is really disappointing. The Switch is the perfect console for a Virtual Console or similar service. I can only hope they're waiting for E3 to announce plans to replace it with something similar, because if their plan is just to offer mini classic consoles, that's a huge disappointment.

Edit: I totally agree with @Glennstavos, criticism of the way they announced this VC situation shouldn't be taken as attacks against Nintendo or wanting to make them seem like bad guys. If you want classic games to be available then you should speak up, let Nintendo know you want a real replacement service for VC. If we never say anything and just wait and see forever they have no incentive to bring forth a new option.

Edited by Book Bro

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Edit: I totally agree with @Glennstavos, criticism of the way they announced this VC situation shouldn't be taken as attacks against Nintendo or wanting to make them seem like bad guys. If you want classic games to be available then you should speak up, let Nintendo know you want a real replacement service for VC. If we never say anything and just wait and see forever they have no incentive to bring forth a new option.

Implying Nintendo will listen to fan feedback, but yeah it's probably the best option to try to say something if you're displeased just don't be surprised if Nintendo isn't receptive because usually it's their way or the high way, for good or ill.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Implying Nintendo will listen to fan feedback, but yeah it's probably the best option to try to say something if you're displeased just don't be surprised if Nintendo isn't receptive because usually it's their way or the high way, for good or ill.

You don't have to tell me twice; still waiting for Mother 3 over here and god knows Nintendo is aware of the demand for that game. The fan translation is amazing and all but I'm not a big fan of computer/phone emulators so I would love an official release, virtual console, physical compilation, I'll take whatever!

Now that third parties take it upon themselves to release classic games (Mega Man Legacy, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, the dozen Genesis collections that have come out, etc.) I'm thinking that's where Nintendo will go if an eshop storefront really isn't in the cards. At the end of the day, they have an incredible catalogue of classics, and while the capital C Classics no doubt make them a nice bit of money, they know they can make even more now that they have a profitable system entering so many homes. So I'm thinking they'll release franchise-specific collections as well. They've done it before, with the Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition and Kirby Dream Collection. I also noticed their Arcade releases on the eshop. Punch Out Arcade was a delightful surprise. Now there is a game that feels like it ought to be lost to time. Really, I do think there's hope for playing retro games on our switch in the future. I'm very particular with my word choice of "hope" now that Virtual Console is out of the picture.

As for the NES game selection, It's okay I guess? We only know half the catalogue and a lot are poor multiplayer games. Imagine setting up servers so people can try out the "multiplayer" for Super Mario Bros. A mode where you simply take turns trying to reach the end. I dunno about you guys but I can beat that game in a single life, so it's all a matter of who goes first. Watching people play games online and "passing the controller" sounds pretty goofy. Everybody knows I've beaten Zelda 2, and I can't wait for them to pass me the controller so I can turn the game off for them. Will the 20 game selection expand? It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it. The more games they add, the more expensive the service becomes on their end if all existing games remain in the catalogue for streaming. This is streaming games, right? They aren't clear about this. Regardless, I'd trade in all 20 NES games just to play Mario Party 2 or Smash 64 with buddies through the online service. 

I also think the Classic line of mini consoles will continue. Within a few hours of my original posts they announced the next restock for the NES Classic. A Gamecube Classic in 2019 is currently our best hope at seeing Fire Emblem Path of Radiance in a new format. And Radiant Dawn the year after that. There won't be any transfer data functionality, but hey at least the games exist. Even if said classics only include eight to ten games, Fire Emblem is a no brainer. If people pay hundreds for those individually, they'll pay the probable 100 dollar price point for a gamecube and Wii mini. Nintendo and scalpers have this sort of symbiotic relationship.

A little bit of a bummer, potentially.  I made the choice to upgrade to a Switch, in part, because of Fire Emblem Warriors.  I have a Zelda OoT 3DS that can't play "New" 3DS games or Virtual Console games, so I figured if I wanted to upgrade the Switch made more sense than the New 3DS, especially with Zelda BotW, Disgaea 5, and the announcement that Fire Emblem Switch would be a thing.

Now my dream of a portable Super Mario RPG will probably continue to evade me.  Sigh.  Thanks, Nintendo.