FE8: Loading the epilogue from pre-route split

Roosterton

Hi all,

To give some context, me and a friend have been working on a full romhack of FE8 for about a year. We replaced the prologue through to chapter 8, then decided we'd rather not deal with the hardcoded route-split stuff, so from there we've been working over the Tower of Valni (1-8) and the first two chapters of the Lagdou Ruins, with the replacement for Lagdou Ruins 2 being the game's final chapter.

However, trying to load the epilogue from here seems to cause some issues. Here's my ending scene:

Spoiler

EndingScene:
MUSC 0x42
SetBackground(0x11)
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x9C0
TEXTEND
STAL 32
TEXTSTART
TEXTSHOW 0x9C1
TEXTEND
MNC4 0x0
ENDA

I know that the ending scene loads properly because the background / text stuff all appears properly. MNC4 0x0 is the code found at the end of the normal game (21x) which loads the epilogue. When I save after this ending scene, the save gets written over saying "epilogue" as if it's working properly, but then instead of loading the epilogue it loads... the exact same chapter that was just finished.

I don't think this problem is exclusive to Valni / Ruins chapters, since I tested by placing MNC4 0x0 at the end of one of my earlier chapters, and the same issue occurred. So I think the problem must be that the game doesn't want to load the epilogue while it's still in the pre-split Eirika's route? But I'm not sure. 

If anyone has experience with this or knows how to work around it, I'd greatly appreciate it!