BlueHairedBaby

[FE5] Thracia 776 Reverse Recruitment Release

Update Log

V 1.03 (CURRENT): This English version of the patch was updated to fix Fergus's promotion. The Japanese version is unchanged, as this glitch was only present in the English version. 
V 1.02: Fixed graphical glitch that occurred when viewing Alva's PRF in chapter 10
V 1.01: Fixed Forseti to be magical instead of physical

---
I am very happy to announce the release of my FE5 Reverse Recruitment hack. For those that don't know, a reverse recruitment hack is one that completely reverses the order in which characters are obtained throughout the game. So in the case of FE5, Galzus is the new lord. See the screenshots for examples.

Patches
Important Note: The English version of this hack incorporates the "Unified Thracia" menu translation by ChimeraHardline, and all credit for the translation goes to Chimera. Details on the menu translation can be found here.

English Menu and RR Patch

Japanese RR Patch

These are IPS patches, so you will need an IPS patcher such as LunarIPS to apply them. You should apply these to an unheadered, .srm ROM version of Thracia 776. You will know the ROM is unheadered if the filesize is 4096 KB. It probably will not work if applied to the NP Rev A version of Thracia 776.

The English version should be applied to a clean Japanese ROM, since it already incorporates the translation. 

Guide

I have created a handy Spreadsheet guide that covers recruitment, special events, and PRF weapons to help you as you are playing through FE5 RR. The spreadsheet also includes unit stats.

Known Bugs/Issues

• Character portraits are not changed during dialogue or story. I will probably work on this once a full English patch is released.
  • Some PRF weapons don't include who they are for in the item description. Some say they are for a unit that they are not actually for (Eg: Hammerne still says it is for Safy). Make sure you check the spreadsheet guide if you need help figuring out who a PRF belongs to. 
  • The cutscene after the prep screen in chapter 17A freezes the game. It is skippable, so press start as soon as you finish in the 17A prep screen.
  • The animation where Finn kills the boss of chapter 23 will skip itself. This is to prevent the game from freezing if the animation plays out. 
  • Various animations are not correct (Eg: Unpromoted Deen has the female dragon rider animation instead of male)

FAQ

Do characters have their normal growths? How did you calculate the character base stats?

Character growths are kept the same (Eg: Ced still has his insanely good growths from vanilla FE5, but now has room to grow and use them). Base stats were calculated by either leveling or "deleveling" characters to their new level, and adding in or subtracting promotion bonuses as necessary. When leveling or "deleveling" characters, all promotions were assumed to occur at level 10. 

What about movement stars, leadership stars, and PCC?

Characters keep their movement stars and PCC (Eg: Galzus still has 5 movement stars and a PCC of 3). However, leadership stars are based on the character who is being replaced (Eg: Saias does not have 3 leadership stars. However, when Halvan is recruited in chapter 23, he will have 3 leadership stars). The leadership stars were done this way for 1) balance reasons; and 2) because leadership stars can be tricky to change for some characters. 

What about Weapon Ranks?

Weapon ranks are based on the character that is being replaced. (Eg: Vanilla Dagdar had A rank in Axes, E rank in bows. Amalda, who replaces Dagdar, now has an A rank in swords, and an E rank in staves) I used some discretion when replacing mono-weapon characters with multi-weapon characters. 

Why does Ronan have an E rank in Swords? He is a sniper!

This is because he needs to be able to use swords for the cutscene where he teaches Cain Astra in chapter 15, or the cutscene softlocks the game. Overall, I decided the impact of giving him E rank in swords was pretty low considering his join time and how slowly weapon ranks build in this game, you would have to grind the heck out of him to have him actually use any decent swords. 

How do you get through Manster without a thief?

Every character that joins in the Manster arc now joins with 3 door keys in their inventory. This means there are enough door keys to get through and get all the chests in Manster just by recruiting all of the Manster units. Some enemies also carry door keys if you need more. 

Why doesn't Galzus have insane health like he does in vanilla?

Galzus's HP was the one stat I decided to nerf from what it "should be" based on the calculations. Otherwise, he would have 40 HP at base. He is already a really strong Lord, he doesn't need 40 HP.

It won't work in my emulator. What should I do?

Use SNES9X. The English patch expands the size of the ROM, which some older emulators don't like.

How did you make this? 

This hack was done using Nightmare and hex editing in HxD.

Who are the route split characters?

A Route Characters: Brighton (Alva must be dead or unrecruited), Machyua, Lifis, Dagdar

B Route characters: Ronan, Marty, Eyvel

How do supports work?

Supports are based on the new characters. So Galzus only supports Mareeta, he doesn't support 10 people or whatever like Leif does. 

Credits

The English patch is the work of ChimeraHardline. Many thanks to ZaneAvernathy, for answering questions I had and also for providing much of the FE5 hacking documentation I used. Thanks to the authors of the FE5 nightmare modules, without which this project would not have been possible. Also thanks to Kirb who helped supply me with some documentation that I needed.

Screenshots

FE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM002.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM000.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM001.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM003.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM004.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM014.pngFE5_RR_FINAL_ENGLISH_ROM006.png

Edited by BlueHairedBaby
V 1.03 update

this looks really cool, i'm gonna try it out right now. thanks for uploading! 

edit: up to chapter 5, there is glitch where the game freezes after my first unit makes a move. 

Edited by Navv

On 5/19/2018 at 5:25 PM, Navv said:

edit: up to chapter 5, there is glitch where the game freezes after my first unit makes a move.

Hmm what version of the patch are you using? Does it happen no matter which unit you move first? Are you moving and attacking or just moving? I will try to investigate this some more, I haven't had anyone else come across this yet.

EDIT: I have been unable to replicate this glitch, I will need some more information to figure out what's going on. 

Edited by BlueHairedBaby

I first patched with the unified thracia patch 0.26 and then your English RR patch V1.02. The glitch seems to occur regardless of who moves, and if I attack with someone, the game freezes after the attack with and without animation on. 

Is there something I can give you? Visual boy has the snapshots, idk if Snes9x has something similar. 

15 hours ago, Navv said:

I first patched with the unified thracia patch 0.26 and then your English RR patch V1.02. The glitch seems to occur regardless of who moves, and if I attack with someone, the game freezes after the attack with and without animation on. 

Is there something I can give you? Visual boy has the snapshots, idk if Snes9x has something similar. 

Mb you shouldn't have patched them both at the same time, repatch a clean rom with just RR.

BTW, @BlueHairedBaby, can you add the characters classes in the spreadsheet? It can be useful in case of characters like Xavier.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:49 PM, Navv said:

Sorry for the confusion, but the English RR patch already incorporates Chimera's menu translation, so it should be applied to a clean Japanese ROM. I will update the OP to make that a bit more clear. 

On 5/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, Kruggov said:

Mb you shouldn't have patched them both at the same time, repatch a clean rom with just RR.

BTW, @BlueHairedBaby, can you add the characters classes in the spreadsheet? It can be useful in case of characters like Xavier.

That's a good idea, I will add the character classes to the spreadsheet tonight or tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, BlueHairedBaby said:

Sorry for the confusion, but the English RR patch already incorporates Chimera's menu translation, so it should be applied to a clean Japanese ROM. I will update the OP to make that a bit more clear. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification!