[FE5] Thracia 776 Reverse Recruitment Release

BlueHairedBaby

Version 2.0 is here!
Over four years after the original release, version 2.0 of FE5 Reverse Recruitment is here! The hack has been completely rebuilt using newer hacking tools. Major changes include:

• The patch now includes the Lil' Manster translation and QoL patch. All credit goes to Miacis and the rest of the Lil' Manster team. For details on the Lil' Manster patch, see here
  • No currently known glitches
  • Personal weapons are the same as they are in vanilla - no wacky makeshift personal weapons anymore
  • Ronan no longer uses swords, and other similar weird work-arounds have been removed
  • Characters generally have correct palettes in battle (A few characters will use default palette until they promote).
  • Character portraits are changed during dialogue (Note: portraits are not changed during the world map sequences)
  • A few units have some different weapon ranks on secondary weapons, since weapon ranks now follow a new formula when swapping characters that don't have the same number of weapons
  • Authority stars are now swapped, instead of being based on the original unit.
  • Special events items have been changed to be relevant to the unit
  • Some chest items in the Manster arc have been updated to be more relevant for the units you have
  • Other minor changes that are inherent to the fact that the hack was rebuilt

Screenshots

FE5RR_New000.png.5c627a3234a9089c552a5b177754883a.pngFE5RR_New002.png.6817c385bf30782d2037eeb55c33a3f7.pngFE5RR_New004.png.d737502dc603b815374bb3f381ae89e3.pngFE5RR_New005.png.a845b6942673051f90a2b3fe20a5b8d6.pngFE5RR_New006.png.79ecd32fdbfee20a4c9581fface8b44b.pngFE5RR_New008.png.bd9f5722424cfad2062fe076e30a83e5.pngFE5RR_New062.png.23a6777711da42b522dc44e237d7a8f0.png

Patch
V2.01 Patch

This is an IPS patch, so you will need an IPS patcher such as FLIPS to apply them.

The patch should be applied to a clean, japanese, unheadered, V-ROM version of Thracia 776. You will know the ROM is unheadered if the filesize is 4096 KB. 

Spreadsheet

I have created a spreadsheet with a list of which units swap, unit stats, and special events. See here.

FAQ

Do characters have their normal growths? How did you calculate the character base stats?

Character growths are kept the same. Base stats were calculated by either leveling or "deleveling" characters to their new level, and adding in or subtracting promotion bonuses as necessary. When leveling or "deleveling" characters, all promotions were assumed to occur at level 10. 

What about Weapon Ranks?

Weapon ranks are based on the character that is being replaced. Example: Vanilla Dagdar had A rank in Axes, E rank in bows. Amalda, who replaces Dagdar, now has an A rank in swords, and an E rank in staves

How do you get through Manster without a thief?

Every character that joins in the Manster arc now joins with 3 door keys in their inventory, so there are plenty of door keys to get through Manster. Some additional door keys have also been added to enemies throughout the Manster arc.

Why doesn't Galzus have insane health like he does in vanilla?

Galzus's HP is the one stat that is nerfed from what it "should be" based on the calculations for balance.

It won't work in my emulator. What should I do?

Use SNES9X. The English patch expands the size of the ROM, which some older emulators don't like.

Who are the route split characters?

A Route Characters: Brighton (Alba must be dead or unrecruited), Macha, Lifis, Dagdar

B Route characters: Ronan, Marty, Eyvel

How do supports work?

Supports are based on the new characters. So Galzus only supports Mareeta, he doesn't support most of the army like Leif does.

Credits

Credits to Miacis and the Lil' Manster team for the translation and QoL improvements, and this hack was built with the Lil' Manster teams hacking tools.
Many thanks to ZaneAvernathy for all of his work in FE5 dissassembly.
Also thanks to Kirb who helped me with some documentation during earlier development of this hack.

V2.0 Changelog

V2.01: Fixed an issue where Galzus's authority stars underflowed.

Edited by BlueHairedBaby
V 2.01 Update

this looks really cool, i'm gonna try it out right now. thanks for uploading! 

edit: up to chapter 5, there is glitch where the game freezes after my first unit makes a move. 

Edited by Navv

On 5/19/2018 at 5:25 PM, Navv said:

edit: up to chapter 5, there is glitch where the game freezes after my first unit makes a move.

Hmm what version of the patch are you using? Does it happen no matter which unit you move first? Are you moving and attacking or just moving? I will try to investigate this some more, I haven't had anyone else come across this yet.

EDIT: I have been unable to replicate this glitch, I will need some more information to figure out what's going on. 

Edited by BlueHairedBaby

I first patched with the unified thracia patch 0.26 and then your English RR patch V1.02. The glitch seems to occur regardless of who moves, and if I attack with someone, the game freezes after the attack with and without animation on. 

Is there something I can give you? Visual boy has the snapshots, idk if Snes9x has something similar. 

15 hours ago, Navv said:

I first patched with the unified thracia patch 0.26 and then your English RR patch V1.02. The glitch seems to occur regardless of who moves, and if I attack with someone, the game freezes after the attack with and without animation on. 

Is there something I can give you? Visual boy has the snapshots, idk if Snes9x has something similar. 

Mb you shouldn't have patched them both at the same time, repatch a clean rom with just RR.

BTW, @BlueHairedBaby, can you add the characters classes in the spreadsheet? It can be useful in case of characters like Xavier.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:49 PM, Navv said:

Sorry for the confusion, but the English RR patch already incorporates Chimera's menu translation, so it should be applied to a clean Japanese ROM. I will update the OP to make that a bit more clear. 

On 5/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, Kruggov said:

Mb you shouldn't have patched them both at the same time, repatch a clean rom with just RR.

BTW, @BlueHairedBaby, can you add the characters classes in the spreadsheet? It can be useful in case of characters like Xavier.

That's a good idea, I will add the character classes to the spreadsheet tonight or tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, BlueHairedBaby said:

Sorry for the confusion, but the English RR patch already incorporates Chimera's menu translation, so it should be applied to a clean Japanese ROM. I will update the OP to make that a bit more clear. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification! 

Original post has been updated for release of V2.0 of this patch. I wanted to make the reverse recruitment patch compatible with the latest FE5 translation and QoL patches, and ended up rebuilding the hack since FE5 hacking is much simpler than it was back in 2018. 

Let me know if you run across any issues or have any questions.