Anyone Else Thinks that Odin Is like Barney Stinson from HIMYM?

starburst

About a year ago, my sister asked me what the game that I was playing was about; I broadly described Fire Emblem to her, and noted that even though it was a turn-based strategy game, the battle scenes and the interactions among some characters kept the game flowing. I mentioned Odin as an example, and instead of trying to describe his 'uniqueness', I simply told my sister that 'he is just like Barney, from "How I Met Your Mother"', a TV series that we knew well. I then showed her a couple of scenes featuring Odin's hammy mannerisms, we shared a laugh and she agreed with me.

Well, the thing about this anecdote is that I had always thought that the similarity between Odin and Barney Stinson was a given, even though I had never read or mentioned it before. This is, that their resemblance was so obvious, that it was a somewhat common opinion.

Since Odin/ Owain's character is about five years old and I got very late to the party (I 'discovered' Fire Emblem last year), I missed most of the discussions about the game, including the ones about Odin's traits. Most of my questions, be them about gameplay, re-classing, pair-ups, etcetera, have been brought up multiple times in the last couple of years (here and elsewhere.) And yet, I was very surprised when I searched for 'Odin' and 'Barney Stinson' (and their related terms), and Serenes Forest, GameFAQs, Reddit and Google knew nothing about it. What!? How?!

Did you use to hold an opinion about Fire Emblem that you thought was a common opinion and then realised that it was unique? A long lasting misconception perhaps?

Edited by starburst

11 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Resemblance in the over-the-top theatrics and dramatically exaggerated oratory--I can see it. 

Yeah, this is true. But the serial womanizing is one of Barney's main things, Odin lacks that, so...

2 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I wasn't even thinking that till you said it, but now that you said it, I completely agree

And Elise, who is my OTP for Odin, best fits the role of Lily (her personal skill is called Lilly's Poise).  And while we're at it . . .

Ted: Leo, who is pragmatic and intelligent like Ted

Barney: Laslow (though you could make an argument for Niles if you want Leo and his retainers together.  Barney does have some Niles-ish tendencies)

Marshall: Odin

Robin: Selena (?), could be revised but mainly put in to bring the Awakening Crew together.  Robin to me is a less-bitchy Selena

Wow, this sounds like a terrible parody/AU fanfic.  Though I am surprised that the Fates cast parallels the HIMYM cast better than I originally thought.

Oh!, I see; most of you focus on Barney's womaniser trait, rather than on his exaggerated theatrics. Since Odin does not chase a girl, ever, I thought that it was clear what I was referring to their funny mannerisms.
I started this thread after watching Owain and Navarre's support conversations in FE: Warriors. Owain's shouting 'Nailed it!' is Neil Patrick Harris as Barney.

Anyway... In most of his supports, Odin has one foot on this world and the other one on this epic alternate reality of his. And Barney is just as delusional, whether or not he is talking about women. True Story. Both would take ridiculous lengths to get recognition. Challenge accepted! And there are countless simple, odd things that are only special through their eyes. Legendary! Also, Owain is said to be the most likely to shout 'Level up!' Suit up!

In any case, analysing 'How I Met Your Mother' was not my intention. (It is a funny series, though; at least the first seasons.)

Edited by starburst