Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go

Water Mage

6 minutes ago, Inferno lizard said:

This. I personally don't want it to do well either, but more for them to not start including more pokemon go mechanics into the games.

Yeah, besides the Kanto pandering, this is a big complaint I have with the game. As nice as GO is, I don't really care much for the catching mechanics in it and it would be hell to catch low catch-rate Pokemon like legendaries with such mechanics. Also, GO mechanics means no wild Pokemon battles and that's bad because how are you going to level up Pokemon once the trainers are all defeated?

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Let me guess, your uncle works at Nintendo? Because I haven't heard that anywhere else.

Uh, no. A different source other than official ones posted it. I forgot to grab the link. My bad.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Great, now we'll have six versions to choose between: Pokémon Power, Pokémon Space, Pokémon Time, Pokémon Mind, Pokémon Soul, and Pokémon Reality. They will cut the total amount of Pokémon in half for the sake of being perfectly balanced.

Dread it......run from it......Pokemon still arrives.

Anyway

How do you do this? How do you fuck up this bad? How do you make a Pokemon game that is mainline in all but name and not have online features? The CEO better clarify.

Considering how poorly Firered/Leafgreen stack up to a game like Platinum, it doesn't surprise me that kanto got revisited first. They are the next games in the pipeline, so to speak. As for the GO integration, it seems likely that the catching mechanic changes will be optional. Portable mode is a massive feature of the switch after all, and having both joycons attached it pretty essential for playing on the move.

Unless they manage to entirely bungle everything up to release, this is an easy pickup for me. Hopefully Kanto can be re-invigorated after so many years since we last visited it proper.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, no. A different source other than official ones posted it. I forgot to grab the link. My bad.

Considering that I haven't heard that information from literally anywhere else, I imagine your source was wrong or just lying. We don't know anything about the new Pokémon yet.

EDIT: Also these games only feature the original 151 plus Alolan forms and presumably the one new Pokémon.

Edited by Lightchao42

I like it. Looks like a co-op Yellow remake without random battles. Guessing the first gen only part is because it's an experiment in a whole bunch of directions.

I wish the ignore function ignored relevant quotes as well so I wouldn't be seeing all of this garbage.

It's different, but I'm optimistic. If I get one (need to know more about them first) I'm going for Eevee.

Edited by Florete

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Dread it......run from it......Pokemon still arrives.

Anyway

How do you do this? How do you fuck up this bad? How do you make a Pokemon game that is mainline in all but name and not have online features? The CEO better clarify.

That just gives the "This is just a Spin-off" more weight. Without online this won't be usable for VGC which is one of the big events for mainline games. 

This is a Spin-off with mechanics closer to the main games (like the Colosseum games) and this is what cements it for me:

On 5/16/2018 at 10:45 AM, Armagon said:

If these leaks are real, i'm skipping this game. Game Freak has been sucking Gen 1's dick too much recently.

I wouldn't be as upset if these games came much later but the fact that Gen 8 is opening up with what is basically a remake of Pokemon Yellow pisses me off. I would've much rather had a new region, or, if we really had to revisit an old one, why not Sinnoh?

they've been sucking gen 1's dick because they're probably preparing for another set of kanto remakes since FR/LG are the most outdated games without a remake currently even if they themselves are remakes.

9 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

This is a Spin-off with mechanics closer to the main games (like the Colosseum games) and this is what cements it for me:  

Technically, I believe the Colosseum games are considered mainline games because you can trade with the core games and such.

If this doesn't have any trading with pokemon bank or the core games then it is definitely a spin-off. At very least, they don't appear to be new core games, so I have some faith restored. Looking forward to 2019.

42 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Great, now we'll have six versions to choose between: Pokémon Power, Pokémon Space, Pokémon Time, Pokémon Mind, Pokémon Soul, and Pokémon Reality. They will cut the total amount of Pokémon in half for the sake of being perfectly balanced.

What is this Pokemon Philosophy 101? Can we have Team Geocentricism's leader afflicted with Solipsism?

38 minutes ago, Ether said:

Considering how poorly Firered/Leafgreen stack up to a game like Platinum

Hm? Just curious, since I only played FR/LG as a kid, how are they particularly bad? 

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What is this Pokemon Philosophy 101? Can we have Team Geocentricism's leader afflicted with Solipsism?

Hm? Just curious, since I only played FR/LG as a kid, how are they particularly bad? 

I think one of the biggest issues is that it holds you back in some ways. The biggest example that I can personally think of is this: why the hell lock the evolutions and pre-evolutions out of the Pokedex until you've collected the National Dex? All that's good for is memes that Kanto only believes there are 150/1 Pokemon.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

They aren't bad games, but they definitely show their age. For one, they're the only region where the most up to date version is on GBA, and not much was added to Kanto itself from gen 1 so the region is a bit barebones. The Sevii islands are a nice step but they don't quite stack up to what other regions managed. They need a remake far more than Sinnoh does is the main takeaway, compared to a game like Platinum they lack content. Granted I'd still put them over D/P but Platinum makes a big difference.

lol but you know what thing Firered/Leafgreen does that kicks the ass of every modern pokemon game? Teachy TV. "Do you know how to play pokemon games? Great, here's an item that lets you catch up on mechanics if you need a refresher. No no, no hours of tutorial setup here. Enjoy playing the game!"

14 minutes ago, Inferno lizard said:

Technically, I believe the Colosseum games are considered mainline games because you can trade with the core games and such.

Gosh I wish people considered those core. But they don't since they weren't developed by Game Freak. But yep, you could trade. I still have my Orre teams in my pokemon bank to this day.

I am curious about whether you can trade out of these new games. Since you can't trade your Pokemon GO pokemon to the Bank.

23 minutes ago, Dai said:

The biggest example that I can personally think of is this: why the hell lock the evolutions and pre-evolutions out of the Pokedex until you've collected the National Dex? All that's good for is memes that Kanto only believes there are 150/1 Pokemon.

Oh. I do recall hearing an annoying issue with Crobat, Golbat wanting to evolve but suddenly stopping all the time. And who really likes Golbat? Crobat is much cooler.

23 minutes ago, Ether said:

They aren't bad games, but they definitely show their age. For one, they're the only region where the most up to date version is on GBA, and not much was added to Kanto itself from gen 1 so the region is a bit barebones. The Sevii islands are a nice step but they don't quite stack up to what other regions managed. They need a remake far more than Sinnoh does is the main takeaway, compared to a game like Platinum they lack content. Granted I'd still put them over D/P but Platinum makes a big difference.

Fair enough. Being GBA era they don't even have the undoing of tying Physical/Special to typing, which is rather bad unless your name is Alakazam.

Gen 1/FR&LG do have relatively limited side content IRRC. We have Cerulean Cave, Seafoam Islands, and the Power Plant, I can't recall anything else optional, but I guess one of the two land paths to Fuchsia (which are rather long should memory serve me right) is skippable. Gen 2 had Crystal Battle Tower, Mt. Mortar, Sacred Tower, the forested area near the Lake of Rage, the Whirl Islands, much of Union Cave, and the entirety of a (perhaps skeletal) Kanto plus Mt. Silver.

I'm too lazy right now to outline side content of subsequent generations. But who knows? I might do that for kicks later. Emerald did take the Battle Tower idea and expand it drastically with the Battle Frontier though, that was probably a major postgame expander.

16 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Gosh I wish people considered those core. But they don't since they weren't developed by Game Freak. But yep, you could trade. I still have my Orre teams in my pokemon bank to this day.

Do you mean you literally transferred the team from Colosseum/XD to a 3rd Gen main, to DPP, to BW, to XY, to SM? Or are you just saying you've replicated the teams.

*Sigh* Definitely should consider getting back to my Orre fanfict. Or actually playing XD all the way, since I still have my GC and that game and never actually finished it as a kid (only got through the desert lab actually), not Colosseum though, somebody sold it behind my back because it wasn't at my house (made it to The Under there- but never fought Venus). I did like the games though.

By the way, could anyone outline clearly what the various Pokemon business groups do? Besides Nintendo, Game Freak makes the mainline titles, and I'm not sure what else. Then you have The Pokemon Company, and some others, which I don't quite get.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

FR/LG (and R/B/Y) are also by far the least linear games in the series, generally making replays of them much more unique than any others. I really hope these remakes don't lose that.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

FR/LG (and R/B/Y) are also by far the least linear games in the series, generally making replays of them much more unique than any others. I really hope these remakes don't lose that.

I hope for this as well. That's honestly my main desire is that they keep Kanto mostly open still.

I have no strong opinions on this game concept yet, but I find the overeactions a bit, well overblown. 

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do you mean you literally transferred the team from Colosseum/XD to a 3rd Gen main, to DPP, to BW, to XY, to SM? Or are you just saying you've replicated the teams.

I traded them up. GBA to GC Link Cable, GBA to DS, DS to 3DS, 3DS to Pokemon Bank. Not a lot of exceptionally rare or valuable pokemon. Just wanted to be able to look back years later at my goofy names and remember such a good game.

Today's reveal reminds me of the Fire Emblem Direct. The whole "hey we just announced two spinoffs and a remake but don't worry the game you were anticipating is still coming in the future". I'm sure some people are bummed that "Pokemon Switch" that they've been thinking about for a whole year isn't coming this year.  I'm not dropping a preorder for the game, but I will stay tuned as always for more info. I just can't imagine tearing myself away from Smash. And with E3 in two weeks there could be a bunch of other games coming out that are more worth my time.

Another odd detail from the trailer, there don't appear to be wild pokemon battles. Only battles with trainers. So there's gotta be some way to grind then right?

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

So there's gotta be some way to grind then right?

Well to speak of Orre, there were trainers you could always rebattle there. And FRLG had the old Vs. Seeker which you could charge up to put any non-Gym trainer in the fighting mood again. And didn't RSE have some way of seeing if a trainer wanted to be rebattled? And GSC let certain trainers who gave their numbers to your Pokegear be refought after they called.

Haha all of my hype was thrown out the window after seeing it basically was Pokemon Go but Switch edition. At least it's a spin-off because I think I'd feel really let down if it was considered a core game. Although now I'm curious as to when they'll show off the actual new core game at E3 or some other time this year, as it's coming out in 2019.

EDIT: Wait, I think I made a mistake - are the Pokemon Let's Go games coming out 2019 or the core game or both? Cuz I know a core game is in development but I may have gotten the release year wrong, I'm not sure.

Edited by SuperIb

8 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Haha all of my hype was thrown out the window after seeing it basically was Pokemon Go but Switch edition. At least it's a spin-off because I think I'd feel really let down if it was considered a core game. Although now I'm curious as to when they'll show off the actual new core game at E3 or some other time this year, as it's coming out in 2019.

EDIT: Wait, I think I made a mistake - are the Pokemon Let's Go games coming out 2019 or the core game or both? Cuz I know a core game is in development but I may have gotten the release year wrong, I'm not sure.

No, its confirmed that "core" RPGs are coming in 2019 as a separate product. 

8 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

November 18 2018

Seems like a side project

I'll be honest, this is the dream Pokemon Go game I wanted to see, in that it fits closer with the mainline games in battle.

Spin off aside, it could be fun especially if capturing holds up. Might be a pokemon announcement leads me to getting a new console again.

Also, Serebii has suggested the lack of online play line being mistranslated, though I don't know how true that is.

According to Serebii, capture in handeld mode works by moving the console around.
I'm still not sure how to feel about that capture system, honestly. I will wait for more information. No more random encounters is really great though.

And for all the ones complaining about this new game.
Don't forget : those games aren't for you. They aren't for us at all.
The main goal of those games is to rebuild a fanbase for the "real" Gen 8 games next year.
...And even those games aren't directly for us, like SM wasn't for us.
Going even further Gen 4 wasn't for us old fans either. We have remakes every now and then to remotivate us, but Pokémon was always aimed first at the younger audience.
If you remember this, you get far less angry at the news.

I will probably ends up buying them myself. After all, I need an excuse to buy a Switch.

These reactions makes me feel like I slept through the apocalypse. I actually think it looks pretty interesting. But personally, I will still wait to see more so I can have a proper opinion. But I wonder how we will grind if there are no wild Pokemon battles.

Edited by Water Mage

Eh, it looks okay, but I feel a bit indifferent. My wife might like it more as she's very into Pokemon Go, but then again she (and I) are mostly doing it to make exercise a bit more fun.

17 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

And for all the ones complaining about this new game.
Don't forget : those games aren't for you. They aren't for us at all.
The main goal of those games is to rebuild a fanbase for the "real" Gen 8 games next year.
...And even those games aren't directly for us, like SM wasn't for us.
Going even further Gen 4 wasn't for us old fans either. We have remakes every now and then to remotivate us, but Pokémon was always aimed first at the younger audience.
If you remember this, you get far less angry at the news.

Wait, what constitutes a game "for us"? Why are certain core games "for us" but not other ones?