Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go

Water Mage

The fact that Gen 8 is coming still makes me feel a lot better about these. They're more of a spinoff, and GF will be devoting enough energy to making Gen 8 great.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, so the rumored names for the games turned out to be true after all. Didn't really want to say much about it until Gamefreak came out and revealed it themselves but I'm sort of interested in maybe picking up one of these versions especially since Sun/Moon was a very dull experience for me. Though I still have several questions about it like is this really a sort of remake of Yellow, are we still doing the gym leader/pokemon league challenge or is this just Professor Oak sending us out to catch Pokémon and battling random trainers along the way, is Blue going to be our rival or are we having a rival at all, what is our method for grinding in this game if wild battles aren't a thing, and this last thought of mine is just a random idea but are they maybe thinking about adding the other regions and Pokémon through future updates or possibly DLC since I have been hearing only the original 151 mons are in the game.

I will just remain optimistly curious about the game for now since Gamefreak will most likely reveal more details at one of Nintendo Treehouse's segment at E3 in two weeks.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Eh, it looks okay, but I feel a bit indifferent. My wife might like it more as she's very into Pokemon Go, but then again she (and I) are mostly doing it to make exercise a bit more fun.

Wait, what constitutes a game "for us"? Why are certain core games "for us" but not other ones?

Age, mainly. Though there are other factors. Those games panders to the Pokémon GO. ANd mainly

Pokémon is also for grown ups, but that's an after thought

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Eh, it looks okay, but I feel a bit indifferent. My wife might like it more as she's very into Pokemon Go, but then again she (and I) are mostly doing it to make exercise a bit more fun.

Wait, what constitutes a game "for us"? Why are certain core games "for us" but not other ones?

Age, mainly. THough there are other factors. For example, those games panders to the Pokémon GO crowd, and ancient fans (I'm less sure about this one, honnestly.)

Pokémon is also for grown ups, sure thing. But it's a franchise mainly aimed at kids, form the very start.
That's something we often forget. We're not the target democratic, and we find ways to enjoy the games despite this.
The  target democratic is much  much younger. Every Pokémon game is gonna be someone's  first Pokémon games. No adults  will become a new Pokémon fan, and not much will stay fans for long.
Myself, I'm 27. As far as Pokémon fandom go, I'm an elder.And I'm an exception, not the rule.
The ons who started with gen 4 are now old fans as well.

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Another odd detail from the trailer, there don't appear to be wild pokemon battles. Only battles with trainers. So there's gotta be some way to grind then right?

Capturing gives exp since gen 6, and I dont see why this would change here.

I'm a little bit sceptical, but i'm willing to give these games a go. My only concern is that the removal of random battles will start to sting eventual. I don't believe just tossing pokeballs will be fun all the way through while it also gives you less of a chance to use your captured team.

I have one big annoyance though. Going back to Kanto is fine and because of that they should have a big focus on the 151 first pokemon. However I think they cling to the gen 1 Pokemon to an annoying degree. Is there anyone who actually think not allowing Golbat to evolve into Crobat is a good thing? Why should't Espeon and Umbreon be in these games?

Edited by Sasori

They look like cheap nostalgia grabs/Go tie-ins. No random encounters? No online connectivity? They're trying to bill them as the next new games in the series but the fact they had to confirm Gen VIII for late next year betrays them.

3 hours ago, blah the Prussian said:

The fact that Gen 8 is coming still makes me feel a lot better about these. They're more of a spinoff, and GF will be devoting enough energy to making Gen 8 great.

Probably the silver lining to this all.

59 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

They look like cheap nostalgia grabs/Go tie-ins. No random encounters? No online connectivity? They're trying to bill them as the next new games in the series but the fact they had to confirm Gen VIII for late next year betrays them.

Probably the silver lining to this all.

According to Serebii, there is online compatibility, it was jus a mistranslation.

Bolded : You know. That's the only complaint I really don't understand.
You don't have to use tons of repels to go through games anymoe. You can hunt specifically the Pokémon you want, and not go through Zubat hordes first. How is that bad ?
Seriously, I loved DexNav in Pokémon ORAS, and i don't think I am alone.
Random encounters is an outdated concept, so everything to shake it out is a step in the right direction in my mind (Dragon Quest already dropped random encounters a while ago).
Well, I don't actually hate random encounters. It just seems to me like complaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

...And now for another interesting information : They apprently wants to "simplify how you leevl up, train and raise your Pokémon". Once again, not sure how I feel about this.

My reaction to all of this is really lukewarm, honestly. Since I'm absolutely not the main target, I've lowered all of my expectations (Gen 8 comming next year means I have ever less reasosn to care). It can still be a fun game, though.

16 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

According to Serebii, there is online compatibility, it was jus a mistranslation.

I've seen someone both claim that and then double back on it.
Interviews sure seem to suggest there won't be:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/30/the-pokmon-company-shares-more-on-lets-go-features-and-switch-in-qa-session/
"...will still be able to trade and battle but have to have multiple consoles to do so..."
"...no plans to use Nintendo's online service..."

And what I meant by "random encounters" is the fact that you don't even fight the Pokemon any more; you just chuck balls at them like Go. Whittling down their health before throwing a pokeball was such a basic and fundamental concept.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

And what I meant by "random encounters" is the fact that you don't even fight the Pokemon any more; you just chuck balls at them like Go. Whittling down their health before throwing a pokeball was such a basic and fundamental concept.

Oh, OK.
While it already was more or less the case, as soon as you got Quick Balls, this is indeed a loss.

The main thing that I find annoying about this is first 151+alola forms means no Glaceon, and that they are repeating FRLG’s biggest mistake despite HGSS and ORAS not doing this.  Why even?  Just, why?  

Grumbling about evos aside, I don’t like Go, so it’d be a skip for me anyway.  My family might play it though.  

6 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

And for all the ones complaining about this new game.
Don't forget : those games aren't for you. They aren't for us at all.

I never liked this type of argument because it feels like it tries to invalidate people's complaints. 

3 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Pokémon is also for grown ups, sure thing. But it's a franchise mainly aimed at kids, form the very start.
That's something we often forget. We're not the target democratic, and we find ways to enjoy the games despite this.
The  target democratic is much  much younger. Every Pokémon game is gonna be someone's  first Pokémon games. No adults  will become a new Pokémon fan, and not much will stay fans for long.
Myself, I'm 27. As far as Pokémon fandom go, I'm an elder.And I'm an exception, not the rule.
The ons who started with gen 4 are now old fans as well.

These are all really dubious assertions. Yes, these are games are made so that children may enjoy them, but to say that we enjoy them in spite of not being the target demographic is misguided. If the series were just for kids, then the only thing keeping veterans hooked would be nostalgia. Series vets would only play games with the pokemon they enjoyed as children (I guess I only like Kanto Pokemon then) instead of enjoying, well, every single new thing that comes out.

You really underestimate people if you think adults can't and don't get hooked on the series. Pokemon was explosively popular when I was in college, you know, where everyone is an adult. It was explosively popular when Pokemon Go came out and older people can enjoy that too.

I won't begrudge the writing for being softer so the games are rated E for everyone, but you are wrong to tell people "Stop complaining, it's a kids game" as if every adult here is some weird deviant. Most fans started as kids, and most vets stick with the series because it continues to give them reason to be interested.

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I never liked this type of argument because it feels like it tries to invalidate people's complaints. 

Well, in this case, yeah... somehow.

That argument wouldn't work for gen 7, and won't work for the next Pokémon game (which will probably be Gen 8)

Really, if the next game ends up being similar to this one, we will have every right to be positively pissed off.

Sure, it's disappointing. But I never played Pokémon GO, personally. The graphisms aren't exactly the greatest. And while I'm nostalgic of those games, iA Kanto Remake isn't really the most exciting thing.

I'm honestly not too hot about that game myself. I'm not entirely sure to buy it, and at the very least it won't be day 1. And if we won't buy it... It doesn't really matters.

Now, once again, GF is shooting itself on the leg (you would think they would learn after USUM's catastrophic marketing campaign...)
By not presenting this as a spin off, but as a core serie game, they are calling for those extreme reactions honestly.

It's not that we shouldn't complain. Just that, in this case, it's useless.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

These are all really dubious assertions. Yes, these are games are made so that children may enjoy them, but to say that we enjoy them in spite of not being the target demographic is misguided. If the series were just for kids, then the only thing keeping veterans hooked would be nostalgia. Series vets would only play games with the pokemon they enjoyed as children (I guess I only like Kanto Pokemon then) instead of enjoying, well, every single new thing that comes out.

You really underestimate people if you think adults can't and don't get hooked on the series. Pokemon was explosively popular when I was in college, you know, where everyone is an adult. It was explosively popular when Pokemon Go came out and older people can enjoy that too.

I won't begrudge the writing for being softer so the games are rated E for everyone, but you are wrong to tell people "Stop complaining, it's a kids game" as if every adult here is some weird deviant. Most fans started as kids, and most vets stick with the series because it continues to give them reason to be interested.

Yeah, I went a little too far here, I'll admit. SHould have put more thought before writing...

We are not the main audience, but we are part of the audience. They wouldn't care about trying to balance the game otherwise (how good they are at it is another issue).

The games also showed many times that it could be quite heavy despite being a kid game (like the fact they always evoke death at some points, and Pokémonn Graveyard is a thing.)

Reducing Pokémon to a single demograpic is extremely reductive, indeed.

Still, those games clearly aren't made with veterans fans in head. They seems to be even more casual than the average Pokémon Game, and clearly appealing to ancinet fans and Pokémon GO players (and harddcore fans that would buy every games anyway.).

As a casual/lapsed Pokemon player (I played RBY, GS, FRLG, HGSS, and got back into it with SM), I was actually interested in the rumours that this would be a Kanto reimagining. This though... doesn't look that exciting. No wild battles, simplified levelling mechanics, easier trainer battles, unambitious world design, same slow battles as always, and starters that don't evolve, just to name a few of the things I saw in the trailer. I was really hoping this would be a truly grand scale visit to Kanto with big cities and exciting new mechanics to make battling more fun, especially after the improvements I saw in HGSS and more recently Sun and Moon. It looks way too casual even for casual Pokemon fans. I dunno, I'll wait and see what the hands on impressions are like but it doesn't look that interesting, and what's worse it probably means a truly 3D Kanto is not happening on Switch since they can't and shouldn't keep returning to it so often.

I wonder if the success of this game and Pokemon GO will spur them to make this their sub series of remakes moving forward.

Get ready for Pokemon Let's Go Togepi and Pokemon Let's Go Larvitar in 2020.

Kinda surprised to see so many people upset with these. Not just here, but on other forums and Twitter.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping we'd get if Gamefreak injects Go mechanics. It also doesn't look like us non-Go players are in the cold. This is as much an introduction to Go for mainline players as it is the reverse. It's gonna move a ton of Switches, it's looks really cute and a ton of fun.

There is a lot of grind and bloat that has been stripped, and both are the biggest complaints surrounding Pokémon. I'm optimistic to see how this changes the future entries, and what does and doesn't stick for the 2019 games. I'm putting Pikachu in a sailor costume, and no one can stop me.

I'm left wondering about what we do instead to improve our Pokémon if EXP and EVs aren't apart of it. CP is shown in the trailer, as well as level. If CP is something we can raise separately (and easily track), then how will that shake up the meta? 

Also, do we have gyms and the league? Or is this a new trial based system? Is it straight up our Yellow remakes, or is this a pseudo-sequel? Can all Pokémon enter the Pokéball Plus Joycon, or just Pikachu or Eevee? 

Also can I use the Pokéball Plus for other games? Can I use it in Smash?

Haven't kept up on Pokemon leaks at all so the news came out of nowhere for me. I'm just happy to get to run around again with my bud Pikachu, but yeah this is a really weird game and the additions seem interesting but I don't think they'll detract or add much to my experience.

But come on, let's ask the really important question; if these are remakes of Yellow will Jesse, James, and Meowth be in them?

Maybe it's because I'm 26 and I'm at the point where I'm okay with different things, but these look... Totally fine?

The way people are reacting makes it seem like GameFreak and Niantic killed their families. 

These look neat. I'm not super interested, but as somebody who enjoys the core Pokemon games and would much rather have that, they made EXACTLY what this game is very, very clear.

A) It's not the core game that introduces us to Gen 8. It's more like Gen 7.5. Gen 8 will be out next year. 

B) It's not meant for core Pokemon fans. It's for kids and casual players who spent hours catching Pokemon in Go. 

Aside from flatout saying "This isn't meant for the core audience, Gen 8 will come out next year", they did absolutely everything they could do to make sure there was no confusion about what this is. 

Yet people are still "REEEEEEEE"ing all over the place.

Well then, it certainly isn't in question if these are mainline games, anymore.

EDIT: Full transcript of the post conference Q&A. Haven't read it yet, myself, but here you go.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/05/31/heres-an-english-transcript-of-the-pokemon-press-conferences-qa-segment/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Altrosa

Mr. Masuda: In general, it’s the original 151, but as we just showed with Alolan Exeggutor, some of the Alolan variants will also appear.

They really don't want me to get this game, do they? Even GO let's you catch Johto and Hoenn Pokemon but now it's confirmed that it's just the OG 151 Pokemon that will appear in the game.

I mean, there's always the possibility that it's just for the main story and postgame will let you catch other Pokemon. I hope that's the case.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

They really don't want me to get this game, do they? Even GO let's you catch Johto and Hoenn Pokemon but now it's confirmed that it's just the OG 151 Pokemon that will appear in the game.

I mean, there's always the possibility that it's just for the main story and postgame will let you catch other Pokemon. I hope that's the case.

This is wrong. "In general, it's the original 151..." Meaning it's dex is made of most the original Kanto dex, not JUST. And they ended the trailer with a note that new Pokémon are coming, in some form.

Mr. Ishihara: You were really paying attention to the details! I can say that the video is referring to an all-new Pokémon that will be appearing in Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee

You're likely right that we have some sort of post game or new mons sprinkled in (if Alolan forms are there).

I'm still holding out for Kantonian forms of later gens. Alolan Pokémon were actually added to Go yesterday, so it all comes together in the package of making Let's Go into a middle ground game set between Go and the traditional gameplay by getting Go players used to the concept.

Edited by Altrosa

Now that I think about it, I can't wait for Pokémon Adventures to introduce its new protagonists "Pikachu" and "Eevee". These names might be even better than Lack-Two and Whi-Two!

18 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

This is wrong. "In general, it's the original 151..." Meaning it's dex is made of most the original Kanto dex, not JUST. And they ended the trailer with a note that new Pokémon are coming, in some form.

The wording seemed to imply that the Alolan forms and the MCU After Credits Scene Pokémon are the exceptions to the dex only featuring the original 151, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else. But maybe I can forgive them if they bring back Golbat's RB appearance.Spr_1b_042.png

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

The wording seemed to imply that the Alolan forms and the MCU After Credits Scene Pokémon are the exceptions to the dex only featuring the original 151, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else. But maybe I can forgive them if they bring back Golbat's RB appearance.Spr_1b_042.png

Absolutely. Bring back the tongue.

If we consider Alolan forms seperate Pokémon (just from different typing and movesets), including the minimum one confirmed new Pokémon, that's 170 Pokémon available in Let's Go that we can already guarantee.

But, it's since been said competitive online play is not included in Let's Go, I don't think we're going to see baby Pokémon or new evos expand the Dex. That likely also means EV/IV training has no replacement. Interesting.

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

B) It's not meant for core Pokemon fans. It's for kids and casual players who spent hours catching Pokemon in Go. 

Aside from flatout saying "This isn't meant for the core audience, Gen 8 will come out next year", they did absolutely everything they could do to make sure there was no confusion about what this is. 

Yet people are still "REEEEEEEE"ing all over the place.

Well, for one thing, why ignore the core fans and make them wait another year to get what they want? Why not try to make this also appeal some to the core fans by, say, adding some Pokemon from later gens and whatnot? There will still be some that aren't interested, but you'd still get more sales and more happy fans this way.

I don't think GO catching mechanics will work well in this game, but I can deal with it and I probably would pick up the Eevee version at some point if it wasn't for the art style burning my eyes and the fact that it's only Kanto Pokemon. And that I can't evolve this Eevee or battle wild Pokemon. I doubt the Sevii Islands will even show up either. They were like...the one part of FR and LG I actually really liked.

Also, another thing was that original announcement of a mainline Pokemon game being made for the Switch. We were all led to believe we were getting gen 8 or maybe Sinnoh remakes (though that of course seemed a bit less likely). Not this. Instead, those who wanted gen 8 were told "oh, we're still making it, wait until next year!" and that's a bit irritating.

Edited by Anacybele