Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Pokémon Let's Go

Water Mage

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

It's still a Pokemon game. And Pokepark, Pokemon Battle Revolution, etc. are Pokemon spinoffs too. So what's the difference?

And nope, never. Switch Pokemon games will be the first.

EDIT: Yeah, if Pikachu can't evolve while Eevee can, what's the point of ever picking Pikachu edition over Eevee?

Spin-off titles don't require trade, that's why they most were on homemade consoles. It will indeed be different with the Switch.

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

True true.

Pikachu in yellow would refuse thunder stones though, so...food for thought.

I doubt they will keep it that way since it was just an anime reference for the time. Now everyone and their mother knows Raichu is better than Pikachu in every single way (except being fatter and a little bit less cute).

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

They got rid of Megas.

Uh, no they didn't? You can still use Mega forms in gen 7. It's postgame only, but they're still there.

5 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

The recent" reveal" of Gorochu

...What? I've never heard of this reveal. Can you source it?

EDIT: I think Raichu is cuter. Particularly Alolan Raichu.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, no they didn't? You can still use Mega forms in gen 7. It's postgame only, but they're still there.

...What? I've never heard of this reveal. Can you source it?

I meant that tbey didn't added new ones. Unless they totally change the way batlles played (which is still a possibility), they should keep both, but not adds any new ones. Bad formulation, sorry.

There was an article some times ago about Pikachu (to celebrate some POkémon Go event I think) , and they mentioned Pikachu was supposed to have a third evolution named Gorochu. who was suppressed for vague reasons. And they don't have any pictures of it.
Some speculated that dropping such a huge bomb for the first time may hint at this famed "Gorochu" appearing in the next set of games in some fom or another;
Once again, we don't have any proof of anything. But that's a possibilty.

4 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

I meant that tbey didn't added new ones. Unless they totally change the way batlles played (which is still a possibility), they should keep both, but not adds any new ones. Bad formulation, sorry.

There was an article some times ago about Pikachu (to celebrate some POkémon Go event I think) , and they mentioned Pikachu was supposed to have a third evolution named Gorochu. who was suppressed for vague reasons. And they don't have any pictures of it.
Some speculated that dropping such a huge bomb for the first time may hint at this famed "Gorochu" appearing in the next set of games in some fom or another;
Once again, we don't have any proof of anything. But that's a possibilty.

Oh, I see now. Yeah, maybe not. Though I still think some new Megas and Z-moves could be fun.

Huh, interesting. I wonder why they never mentioned Gorochu until recently.

I think one thing we have to remember regarding leaks is that they don't often come from somebody with a full understanding of what they've seen and heard. Not every source knows what all the developers in other departments are working on so you have to expect we're getting one piece of a broader picture. When there are statements like "remake of Yellow" or "Pokemon Go like gameplay", it's just one guy's out of context perspective. It cannot be a remake of yellow if we're talking new trainers and the ability to pick Eevee. And "Pokemon GO mechanics" could simply refer to the various ways you might be able to interact with others in the real world when playing the game, rather than any change to catching and raising pokemon.

The good news is that it sounds like this is a game that will be officially revealed within the next two weeks and that should set a lot of concerns aside. I don't think a core pokemon game has ever been received with mixed reactions at first after its reveal. No, not even Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon which were basically a third and fourth version.

I'm on board if it's real. I'd get Pikachu version.

The most vocally requested things are another return to Kanto and the return of follow Pokémon. If the world map design is another step up from the design philosophy used in SuMo, this could potentially only be Kanto in name. Plus, SuMo was covered in Kanto nods. I think that this had been planned for a longer while than we realize.

The Yellow remake sentiment doesn't seem far off since Yellow borrowing anime elements and being Red/Blue/Green easy mode was specifically to help players entering the franchise via the anime. Let's Go! appears to be doing the same for Go players.

But Go is such an over simplification of Pokémon fundamentals, and it appears Gamefreak might be overestimating the overlap of mainline and Go players. If it's just adding a throwing minigame for catching Pokémon and the ability to port Go Pokémon from app to game and vice versa, then it'll be fine. It's just not going to sit well if going forward all mainline fans need Go for event Pokémon. A class action lawsuit put a sour taste in many a Go player's mouth...

Furthermore, there is that old, grainy screenshot of a player on a Lapras with Eevee on their head, but other Pokémon are seen swimming nearby. (EDIT, found it, with possible location in Fire Red/Leaf Green)WBLL3NF.jpg

If real, this could be another Go inspired element in that you can see Pokémon on the map, essentially eradicating random encounters, and being a farmiliar touch for Go players. I would be okay with this, myself, and I doubt the 3DS could've handled that considering it chugalugged in SuMo.

Another, much smaller concern is the fact that Yellow's Pikachu refused to evolve. If that's still here, what about Eevee? Pikachu is alright in battle, but Eevee generally isn't, and Eevee's entire gimmick is how many ways in can evolve. Two are happiness based, too, which might read a little weird in that your little Eevee buddy doesn't love you enough to become an Umbreon/Espeon for no real reason.

Pikachu itself has 2 evo branches now, but will we be able to get the Alolan form? And is that why Gorochu was suddenly revealed as a scrapped idea decades later? Are we getting Gorochu?

Speaking of Alolan Raichu, if this is Gen 8, will we see Kantonian regional variants of later generation Pokémon? I love the concept and would be all over that and it would further help this potential revisit to Kanto feel fresh.

And I wonder if Lillie or Gladion are the rival. Both leave for a Kanto based journey in SuMo or USUM endgame. That would be a nice surprise.

Edited by Altrosa
hunted down the screenshot i mentioned

I still think that screenshot is fake because it looks exactly like altered 3DS footage. The Switch should be capable of better graphics than that.

And yeah, we don't know a whole lot about these games yet, which is why I'm leaving myself open to the possibility of changing my mind on them later. But for now, it's a pass for me.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I see now. Yeah, maybe not. Though I still think some new Megas and Z-moves could be fun.

Huh, interesting. I wonder why they never mentioned Gorochu until recently.

Well, Gorochu was scrapped super early. I heard it was for balancing in Gen 1, as they felt Raichu was strong enough. Gen 2 added Pichu, who is pushed HARD whenever it's Johto's time to shine, so Gorochu never had a chance.

The thought is more that it could be another branch for Pikachu verses Raichu's evo. (Like Vileplume/Bellosom).

Yeah, I'm a bit weirded outby the graphics of that shot, but conversesly, Pokémon games make effort to be as cute and cartoon-like as possible. The models in Sun and Moon are shockingly high poly, but the superflat, cel-shading art style just doesn't sit right with a certain demographic because it purposefully lacks detail. That popular no line mod for SuMo always looked terrible to me since it robbed any sense of depth to the models and made any textured lining look even more pixel-y.

SuMo had a slew of hardware limitations outside of graphics that we won't deal with in any case. Particularly how choppy and compartmentalized the overworld map is (cleverly hidden with the islands, but still made the world feel much smaller) and the mass slowdown if more than 2 monsters are on screen.

Also Festival Plaza was just awful. 

Edited by Altrosa

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we got more Kanto games. Though I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea. Concept-wise, at least, to me it's interesting the idea of a Yellow-esque remake.

On the talk about Pikachu and evolution... heh, amusingly, if I remember right, while indeed Yellow's Pikachu was unable to evolve, you could still trade it away. Once outside in a Blue/Green or Red copy, you could actually evolve it, then trade the now Raichu back in. At least I'm sure you could pull that off.

Eevee as a started sounds interesting. At least for the evolution variety.

Ah well, whatever it ends up being, shall be interesting to see what's what.

1 hour ago, Altrosa said:

The most vocally requested things are another return to Kanto

When has a return to Kanto ever been vocally requested?

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I still think that screenshot is fake because it looks exactly like altered 3DS footage. The Switch should be capable of better graphics than that.

And yeah, we don't know a whole lot about these games yet, which is why I'm leaving myself open to the possibility of changing my mind on them later. But for now, it's a pass for me.

Whatever Pokemon Switch was, it was going to look like Gen VII but crisper. They've already got the style down; they don't need to visually reinvent things.

SuMo had a slew of hardware limitations outside of graphics that we won't deal with in any case. Particularly how choppy and compartmentalized the overworld map is (cleverly hidden with the islands, but still made the world feel much smaller) and the mass slowdown if more than 2 monsters are on screen.

That's less hardware limitations and more Gamefreak just being crap at optimization, as they've always been (Gen 1's slew of glitches, Gen IV being super slow, Gen VI hardly using the 3D feature).

The most vocally requested things are another return to Kanto

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

When has a return to Kanto ever been vocally requested?

By the "fans" who hate basically everything that came after it and if they bought Gen VI/VII only to use Gen 1 'mons. It's a vocal minority clinging to nostalgia.

Edited by The DanMan

Just now, The DanMan said:

Whatever Pokemon Switch was, it was going to look like Gen VII but crisper. They've already got the style down; they don't need to reinvent things.

Yeah, and I don't think that screenshot looks any crisper.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and I don't think that screenshot looks any crisper.

The shot is clearly off-screen and low quality. Thus, it's impossible to say.

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Gen V was by and large lauded when it came out. 

citation needed

I don't know where you were when Black/White came out, but I don't remember any lauding to be had. I was one of the weird ones for liking it when it came out. 

Most people were more along the lines of "GARBAGE POKEMON/ICE CREAM POKEMON, NINTENDO/GAMEFREAK HAS TRULY RUN OUT OF IDEAS" from the outset, with a lot of people still left being absolutely livid when they found out it was only Gen 5 Pokemon until the post-game. 

Anyway, I'd be down for another Gen 1 remake. It's actually what I've been saying makes the most sense since the announcement of Pokemon Switch. 

Not digging the potential Go influences. 

57 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

The shot is clearly off-screen and low quality. Thus, it's impossible to say.

I suppose, but you'd think they'd have more dynamic camera angles or something considering it'll be on the Switch. I mean, say the screenshot is real, then I must say, I'm mildly disappointed that the over-world will look just like the 3DS games. (Granted, again, this is based solely off *one* unconfirmed screenshot)

Well, as long as I can actually play as an adult and not a random 10 year-old, I'm be happy. Doubt it'll happen though.

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

with a lot of people still left being absolutely livid when they found out it was only Gen 5 Pokemon until the post-game. 

LMAO I'M STILL DISAPPOINTED.

Edited by SuperIb

Just now, SuperIb said:

LMAO I'M STILL DISAPPOINTED.

I liked it. It broke me out of my habit of using the same Com-Mons I've used since Gen 1/2.

Even though I have reverted back to my old ways of Gyarados/Crobat basically being staples on nearly every single one of my teams. 

Just now, Slumber said:

I liked it. It broke me out of my habit of using the same Com-Mons I've used since Gen 1/2.

Even though I have reverted back to my old ways of Gyarados/Crobat basically being staples on nearly every single one of my teams. 

I suppose that's fair. For me it just didn't feel like Pokemon because there was nothing familiar until post game. Though I guess it too forced me to use new Pokemon haha.

45 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Anyway, I'd be down for another Gen 1 remake. It's actually what I've been saying makes the most sense since the announcement of Pokemon Switch. 

Could you clarify? Because i don't see how it makes sense for Gen 8 to kick off with a Gen 1 remake.

Well, I knew some wouldn’t like the possible return to Kanto, but damn. I think some people doesn’t realize that’s it’s not because of genwunners that they could return Kanto, but rather, it’s the most financially sound option after Go’s success.

Edited by Water Mage

Except GO is no longer all that successful since it lost a good portion of its players over time. I don't see how it's wise to milk a game that lost so much popularity. I still like GO and think it deserved better, but still.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except GO is no longer all that successful since it lost a good portion of its players over time. I don't see how it's wise to milk a game that lost so much popularity. I still like GO and think it deserved better, but still.

I wasn’t speaking about Go, I was speaking about Kanto.