Rath vs Rebecca

DisobeyedCargo

• 2 weeks later...

Unless it's for waifu reasons, Rath outshines rebecca in every way.

I'm pretty sure that an LHM levelled Wil might be slightly better than a Rebecca of similar level when the Lyn mode characters return.

I have never used either Rebecca or Will very much in any of my Blazing Sword playthroughs so I am not the best person to give an explanation on this. I will say though any time a game like Fire Emblem offers me a bowman WHO RIDES A HORSE! I will take the horse over the foot based bowman. For a few differant reasons not all of which have to do with gameplay. The first reason is I just simply like horses if it was up to me I'd probably give everybody horses even if it was just for traversing the map. General put him on a horse, Warrior put him on a horse Hero put him on a horse, ok, you get the idea also I'm getting off track here. The other reason is it reminds me of the Scythians who were renowned for their skill with horses and the ability to shoot a bow from the back of a horse. Something that must have been hard to do I imagine. Gameplay wise Rath has good attack and is fast, holy cow that guy is fast. There are few things in the game that Rath can't double on top of the fact that he's mounted so he has other utility beyond just  fighting such as visiting houses and villages rescuing if need be, etc. Additionally Rath is rather good at taking out any mage in the game, he's fast (as I've already said) so he is probably going to double the mage and he has good avoidance so his odds of avoiding the counter are good and if not he has pretty decent resistance for a unit that's not a pegasus. Additionally when he promotes he gains the ability to use swords which is pretty sweet making him more versatile than he was before.

Now Rebecca on the other hand I can't say a lot about her but I know she's fast which is good, but from what I've seen of her bases and from what I've heard she lacks strength. Now again I have never used Rebecca much so I apologize in advance for any inaccuracies. But she's fast which is good, the downside is she lacks in strength this is going to be the main reason she struggles to make kills (at least initially, I don't know how likely she is to level str.) On top of that she's a foot unit so unless you are able to get her to level 15 or higher by the time Rath rejoins she is going to have to compete with someone who is 1)mounted so he get's around faster 2) has more strength so he hits harder 3)has good speed so his avoidance and ability to double are really good. It all boils down to two areas for me 1)Rath is on a horse-Rebecca isn't 2)Rath has better bases. Any unit can be good in FE7 however I tend to immediatly focus on the mounted version of _________ unit type. Such as Mage knights over Sages, Bow Knights over Snipers etc. That said, I have seen footage of Rebecca tearing things up, she can be quite the terror. But ultimately I would consider Rath the better unit because.........horses.

I usually like to train my unit, so I'm like the Nino > Pent guy. I also like Nomads, but I only really used them in Binding Blade. In BS I always choose Rebecca over Rath, because I have a lot more time to train her, and the only reason I would bench Rebecca when Rath arrives, is only if she got bad level ups all the time. That's the only reason I would say Rath would be good, Rebecca is better in my opinion.

On 5/17/2018 at 12:07 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you'd like hard numbers, I'll throw up 20/10 averages, just for some idea how they compare.

Rebecca:

HP 37.8 Str 18.2 Skl 20 Spd 23.8 Lck 18 Def 9.2 Res 11.4

Con is 5, 6 promoted.

Rath:

HP 45.6 Str 21 Skl 18.8 Spd 22 Lck 11.6 Def 12.2 Res 10.5

Con is 7/8 (strangely Rath has 8 Con in Lyn Mode, he loses a point afterwards)

And here is Wil, just because:

HP 43.25 Str 20.5 Skl 20.5 Spd 17.8 Lck 16.8 Def 12.4 Res 9.75

Con is 6/7.

I'll leave out Geitz and Louise, the other two good bow users. Just know that Louise has shabby stats by comparison, 4 less Str than Rebecca the weakest of the bunch at 20/10 for example, but she requires no investment at all to use. Geitz is as strong as the guys, but slower, albeit with more Con and Axes access, which is good.

For Bow Wt: Iron 5, Steel 9, Killer 7, Silver 6, Longbow 10, Killer 7, and Brave is 12. Steel will always be a burden on Rebecca, particularly at the beginning when she isn't fast at all, Rath can handle it better.

Overall, I think this makes it clear that Rath > Rebecca on average. More Str, Con, concrete durability, and also Sword use on promotion and a horse all the time. A little extra, excessive Spd, and Skl, Lck, and Res don't matter all that much. Wil is sadly an inferior Rath.

But as always, use whoever you want, what is fun for you, and that your personal experience may vary.

Edit: I'll throw up Geitz's 20/10 Normal averages, since he is being called quite good

HP 45.95 Str 20.5 Skl 14.1 Spd 15.8 Lck 12.8 Def 12.4 Res 4.4

Has 13 Con. To the above stats, on Hard add 1 or 2 points to every stat not HP (add like 4 there).

So less accurate than the others, but enemies aren't very dodgy in FE7, doesn't matter much. Spd, well against like a Hero or Nomad Trooper or Valkyrie it'll hurt, but against most mooks, 16 is more than sufficient. And if you really need to double them, well hey look Mom- AS-loss free Brave Bow use! Terrible Res, but that is bearable (but I guess it gives Hawkeye a niche over Geitz).

The one STRONG appeal of Rebecca over Rath is simply map availability. On Eliwood or Hectors she is available nearly the entire game. Plus, she'll be able to make one of the first promoted units in the game barring something like Paladin Sain/Kent from Lyn mode or Wil being used. Early game chip damage and its not excessively hard to get her KOs early on over simply chip damage and depending upon the route very doable as bonus damage on flyers will be handy for parts of early game though not necessary. Rath comes very late into the game at a far lower level than Rebecca could achieve. Though I suppose one could argue that this makes him excellent for exp ranking and you'll get the benefits out of him as he is the only unit after Florina (not promoted) who can ferry around Hector promoted. Plus, he can get access to a couple of levels and str/hp item boosts.

In either case, Rebecca after a few levels gets good enough combat through doubling that she can keep up on her own to get KOs. Her strength is actually not that much of an issue after promotion because silver bow cost her no speed. However, I will say that the benefits of Rath is that with Brave Bow he can be contributing to combat right away and avoid enemy combat to catch up quicker. By which point nomad horse and swords for enemy phase are appealing. Though in order to use swords that really matter he'd need to use swords a ton to get out of E rank. Though 1 range option is still nice to have. Another minor benefit is her support pool is vastly larger than Raths' and more apt to actually grow into something useful earlier. Lowen/Sain/Raven are nice supports to pair with simply for being useful units on their own. Which Lowen/Sain will boost her attack power to help with the lower strength she has. 

All in all, its pretty much rath's end game utility for mount, rescue value, 1 or 2 range after very late investment versus a pure combat unit with far more availability that actually offers some fairly usable combat.

• 4 weeks later...

Rath, more strength, similar speed, mount, can use swords, which means can retaliate at 1 range and he isn't as frail as Rebecca and also has more con. The only thing that she has over Rath is ballista, but you shouldn't rely on these too much and there aren't that many of them anyway.