KT President Wants to make Star Wars & Mario Musous

Jedi

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/16/koei-tecmos-president-wants-make-star-wars-musou-super-mario-musou/

“I’ve been saying this since a long time ago, but Star Wars would be a really good fit”, he said, although he did say afterwards that it was more interest in working with the IP rather than with the Musou series specifically. The most important thing was whether it was fun and enjoyable for the players.

Regarding Super Mario Bros., Koinuma said that the fascination came from a childhood of growing up with Mario games. Once again, anything would be on the cards for a potential Mario game, even a simulation like Nobunaga’s Ambition.

Either way, Koinuma believes in collaborating with various companies, including other video game makers. He said, “I think it’s a balance. It’s necessary to have healthy competition in the marketplace or in the industry, but at the same time, if it’s necessary, it’s better to have a very favorable collaborative relationship as well, and nurture that.”

I seriously thought the title said Star Fox before realizing it actually said Star Wars.

I guess Mario Warriors could work but would Nintendo actually be okay with Mario and co. presumedly punching hordes of goombas and koopa troopas considering how protective and picky they usually are with the Super Mario series? Then again they were okay with giving Mario a Megaman-like gun in that rabbids crossover so...

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

KT makes games other than Warriors, right? How about a Fatal Frame Luigi's Mansion game?

Yeah they make mostly tactics games outside of Warriors, and the Tecmo side is of course Ninja Gaiden & DoA, and of course as you mentioned Fatal Frame.

Wow, Koinuma still wants to do Star Wars musou? I remember back in ye olden days he said that... I'm still down with it.

Though, the idea of them making collaboration games, instead of musou versions of said collab, almost makes it sound like they've achieved some kind of enlightenment!

Star wars aint gonna happen. This would mean permission and partnership with EA and I think they consider working with niche Japanese developers to be beneath them. It would also be a single player star wars game which EA avoids like the plague these days. 

Mario I see happening. If Nintendo agreed to cross them with rabbits then a Mushroom Warriors sounds like an incredibly safe bet in comparison. 

31 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Star Wars is a good fit on the surface, but there would be too many ranged enemies to be fun in a Musuo game.

Didn't stop Dynasty Warriors 3! Or Orochi 1 where grups of archers were fairly common place and on harder difficulties could end your life in seconds.

Oh man, a Star Wars Musou?  Crazy fights with lightsabers and force powers against hundreds of chums?  That was literally a childhood dream of mine.

7 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Star Wars eh? I will buy the game if Darth Nihilus is in it.

I'd be even more down for it if the game included KotOR characters.

Complete with two flavors of Han Solo, madame disappointing end boss, cheeky murder bot, good guy Boba Fett, and that lady whose name I keep getting confused with the word for a certain piece of Medieval artillery.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Star Wars is a good fit on the surface, but there would be too many ranged enemies to be fun in a Musuo game.

Considering that Musou games, including FEW, have included generic ranged mooks before, I don't think it'd be a problem.

And even if it was, they could just have a bunch of padawans instead.  Probably would be odd in levels/missions that represent the OG trilogy or the most recent movies since most of the jedi had been eradicated by the sith beforehand, but there are plenty of ways they could make it work.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Oh man, a Star Wars Musou?  Crazy fights with lightsabers and force powers against hundreds of chums?  That was literally a childhood dream of mine.

I'd be even more down for it if the game included KotOR characters.

Complete with two flavors of Han Solo, madame disappointing end boss, cheeky murder bot, good guy Boba Fett, and that lady whose name I keep getting confused with the word for a certain piece of Medieval artillery.

Considering that Musou games, including FEW, have included generic ranged mooks before, I don't think it'd be a problem.

And even if it was, they could just have a bunch of padawans instead.  Probably would be odd in levels/missions that represent the OG trilogy or the most recent movies since most of the jedi had been eradicated by the sith beforehand, but there are plenty of ways they could make it work.

More likely, we'd see melee enemies in the form of storm troopers with the Disney trilogy riot batons. Jedi/Sith would probably be reserved for named officers.

I would be down for star wars, mario not so much. I doubt that star wars would happen though, EA doesn't play nice with others (we would have gotten the true battlefront 3 if that were the case) and it looks like they are out of that boiling water they were in earlier, and disney would never give the licence to a non-western developer because they are baka gaijin the games probably wouldn't make enough money to satisfy them. 

12 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

And even if it was, they could just have a bunch of padawans instead. 

replace padawans with younglings and I think we've got a game here.

On 5/17/2018 at 9:39 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Star Wars, I can see working. Mario... not so much.

I think Mario could work, I did a huge post on it a bit ago, theres plenty to draw inspiration from.