2. 2. Favorite Nohrian Royal?

• Xander
    • Camilla
    • Leo
    • Elise
  3. 3. Favorite Vallite Royal?

• Corrin
    • Azura

I'm not particularly fond of most of these characters to be honest. I'll give it to Sakura simply because she's rather inoffensive, Leo because he's the one royal who's actually smart, and Azura because I hate Corrin with a passion.

Ryoma, Elise, and Hinoka are my favs. I like Azura too, but not as much as the others.

I also have a liking for Xander now thanks to Warriors and Heroes. But he's still not a fav because his Birthright writing sucks.

I'm sorry, but choosing between Corrin and Azura is like choosing between eating razors and drinking bleach for me.  Not a big fan of either, but I guess I'll go with Corrin because there are a few moments that I actually liked with that character, while nothing particularly good stands out to me for the other.

My other votes went to the younger bros.  Gotta rep for the 'Boro's boy, Takumi, and Leo's pretty much the only royal in the game who manages to have a good character without having any really stupid moments in the story.  Second best Hoshidan for me is Sakura for being somewhat relatable and an oddly strong character for someone who is just supposed to be moe, and second best Nohrian I guess goes to Camilla for her only crime being the creepy fanservicey aspect of her personality and otherwise having some interesting backstory.  Elise, Ryoma, and Hinoka are inconsequential to me, and Xander's issues in the story are too great for me to like him much.

Seriously the only tolerable Nohrian royal is Elise simply because of her tragic role in Birthright. She's the only one of the Nohrian family who's not naive to oppose Garon's ideals and trusts the avatar's way of thinking - despite she's the youngest of the family - and pays that with her life.

As for Hoshido I chosed Sakura because she's the only one who doesn't want to avenge the avatar despite their betrayal to Hoshido because of her pacifistic ideals (despite being naive thinking they would come back).

As for the third poll, well, I was forced to vote.

Sakura -  because you somewhat see her progress through birthright's story as she was brave enough to attack Iago.

Elise - Because you somewhat see her progress not in the story but in her supports like with xander how she soon learns that the world isn't all sunshine and lolipops

Azura - I liked Azura's character more than i liked corrin's mainly because she isn't all that trustworthy of people while if corrin meets a total stranger "Hey you must be a nice person lets be friends although my family says that you might try to kill me"

Nohr: Leo is the guy that stands out as this would have been a better game if he was the main Lord. Calm, Collected, Witty, and a perfectly competent mage knight and tactician in his own right--but struggles with the insecurity of feeling perpetually overshadowed by his older brother. One of those rare well-written characters in Fates where the more I see him, the more I like him. 

Hoshido: Hinoka. The fact that she has the least screen time in the main story means that she is presented with the fewest opportunities for the bad writing in Fates to completely fuck up her established character. Tomboyish princess who wants to be a great fighter and works twice as hard to prove that she's just as good as the men is a bit cliched. But it works, and she pulls it off well enough. Her relationship with her retainers is a particularly interesting one; it adds a nice layer of flavor to her character that she purposefully went out of her way to recruit the most incompetent retainers she could find just to make herself more self-reliant.  

Valla:   They're all terrible. Whether or not Azura is less terrible then Corrin, IMO, depends on which version of Corrin you're using. And I don't mean male or female: I mean the small child model or the young adult model.

Because Corrin's naive and unrealistically idealistic personality--as one-note and uninteresting as it might be--at least makes sense for a child, I would consider the child version of corrin to be the best Vallite royal. 

But I'd also consider the young adult version of corrin  to be the worst Vallite royal, worst royal, and one of the worst characters in the game. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

56 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Tomboyish princess who wants to be a great fighter and works twice as hard to prove that she's just as good as the men is a bit cliched. But it works, and she pulls it off well enough

I would say the reason for this is because of her reason for this - she lost her little brother to kidnappers, and, rather than wait for her big brother to grow up and rescue Corrin like you might expect from a series set in the modern perspective of the medieval world, she said screw it, I'mma save him myself one day, gimme dat spear sword. She's effectively Fire Emblem's Mulan, if that makes sense. Plus who cares how well she was written, HELICOPTER SPEAR BOIIII

As for the poll itself, I refuse to vote because it will force me to choose between Corrin and Azura, a choice I've been actively avoiding for a couple years now so I can truthfully say I don't hate either of them. Of the other two kingdoms(this should be obvious to anyone who read my SFS entry two years back and saw what characters received the most focus in writing), I choose Sakura and Camilla, as sisters, not waifus - obviously unless you're PPMD you can't say you consider Camilla a potential waifu candidate without everyone dogpiling you for various reasons, and Sakura looks like she can't be older than 15 soooo....yeah not interested in having to explain to the pedo police that yes, my waifu is in fact legal(-but you like Serina- SHUT UP MARY).

Hoshido: I really like both Sakura and Takumi and it was difficult to choose just one. Sakura (who I voted for, ultimately) has clear anxiety issues, but she makes a good, conscious effort to get over those issues over the course of the game. Some people with similar problems have difficulty getting past the fear of it all in order to gain the courage to overcome those issues, so I enjoyed watching her journey, little as it may be, throughout the game. Takumi is the runner-up, ironic as that is. Like Sakura, he has clear self-esteem issues, particularly a major inferiority complex. One thing I really like about his character is that he does a lot to add a much needed blurry, grey line to Hoshido's usual goody-good goodness, especially in Birthright.

Nohr. Camilla. She's a great character who got utterly screwed by her presentation, and the writing in general. The poor girl has been through a lot of crap and it really shows. Unfortunately, we got next to no backstory about the infighting that she and the other Nohrian royals got caught up in. To quote her in Conquest, Chapter 13:  "If you value your life, as I do... bury your feelings, at least for now. I know it's hard to do that while looking around at what's happening here... But I'm afraid it's your only option." She knows how much things suck in Nohr and she desperately wants to avoid her loved ones having to go through what she has already experienced. But alllll of that good stuff is thrown aside for two things: fanservice and crazy obsessions. But I'm not going to complain too much as "what could have been" seems to be a recurring thing for Fates, story-wise. I will say one thing, though. The presentation of her character doesn't do her any justice, but neither does assumption on the players side. I don't want to get rant-y but maybe she wouldn't get so much hate if people weren't so quick to write her off as terrible because of her presentation and instead took a moment, even if it's just one, to actually get past their own mentalities and try to see what's hidden beneath her more noticeable character traits (aside from her map, that is).

Other: Blah, blah Corrin is plain and boring, blah. Everyone's heard the shtick before. I voted Azura because, despite being a magical water sprinkler given life and injected with copious amounts of condensed exposition, she has a certain likable charm to her character.

Hoshido: I went with Takumi, since he gets some good character development in Birthright, and is a great antagonist in Conquest. Sakura's also pretty great

Nohr: Elise. She is the light of Nohr, an optimist in a country full of despair, who's even willing to die for the sake of reuniting her family. 

Valla: Corrin. I think they're a pretty good lord (sue me). They're optimistic and naive, with a desire to unite their two families. In Birthright, they become a more aggressive fighter, and that not everyone can be forgiven. In Conquest, they have to deal with a lose of innocence, and the sometimes you need to do terrible things for the greater good (even though those terrible things only made sense to the writers). And in Revelation, they refuse let go of their idealism, no matter how hard things get and how often it's challenged.

I like Azura too, by the way

Hoshido: Roughly a tie between not-Takumi; I think they all have their moments but none are stellar. Hinoka has my favourite design, Ryoma has my favourite voice acting, Sakura gets props for the chapter which bears her name in Conquest.

Nohr: Well they're probably my four favourite characters in the game, and the series even. Camilla's probably the fave, though; badass warrior woman with a messed-up past, sign me up.

Valla: I think Corrin makes at least some sense whereas Azura's behaviour consistently doesn't do it for me.

Hoshido: Takumi no questions asked. Honestly he's probably my favorite royal and second favorite fates character overall. I mean for one his character archetype is a relatively rare one being a male tsundere who follows a more type b personality than the traditional type A which is unusual to say the least. In fact he's only male tsundere I've seen to do this and it's executed very well. I dunno the struggle of feeling neglected and inadequate compared to your other siblings just resonates quite a bit with me. I respect the fact that he's willing to work so hard to compensate for his insecurities and watching him grow past those insecurities is just really satisfying to see. His hatred for nohr, while not as justified as Oboro's, is still fairly understandable and his portrayal in conquest is just really well done.

Nohr: Honestly this one was a tough one for me. I mean I haven't read enough supports in this game to really dig into these characters and the ones that I have are IMO either just ok or hugely disappointing. I mean if I had to choose it's really a tie between camilla and elise which I voted for elise soley for the reason that she isn't bogged down by misplaced potential.

Valla: A hard choice but ultimately I went with azura for the fact that she's a lot more nuanced than corrin. Her backstory is fairly interesting and explains her character fairly well(at least in supports anyway when analyzing fates' characters I just like to pretend their story incarnations don't exist). I like how because of how poorly she was treated growing up she's fairly shy, reserved, and distrusting but slowly begins to open over time. Honestly it reminds of myself so yeah.

Edited by Otts486

I don't particularly dislike any of the Hoshidan royals, but I would have to say Takumi is my favorite. He's kind of bratty and has an inferiority complex, but his mistrust towards Corrin is completely understandable. Really he's just an insecure teenager and I just kind of like his character and seeing him grow to overcome his issues. The others I find okay and don't really have and negative feelings towards them.

My favorite Nohrian has to be Elise, her character in Birthright really endears me towards her. Her family and kingdom is being ripped apart and she's the only one who stands up to do something about it. Camilla's crazy, Xander devotes himself entirely to battle to ignore his real feelings and the OBVIOUS truth about his father, Camilla's insane, Leo's too cowardly to oppose his father and brother even though he knows they're wrong, and Camilla's koo koo for Coco Puffs. Really, I just don't like Camilla and Xander and I'm indifferent towards Leo.

Favorite Vallite? Now here's why I can't vote; I don't like either. Corrin is either stupid, naive, a Gary/Mary Sue, bland or all of these things at the same time. Azura is a walking plot contrivance. She causes each route to happen by her decision to withhold information from everyone for pretty much no reason. She tries to act stoic and mysterious as though she has all the answers, but I just find her to be and idiot. I can't find anything about her endearing.

Surprised that many people like Elise.

I chose Ryoma for the Hosidan side, Xander for the Nohrian side, and Azura for the Vallite side.

Ryoma because I just think he's cool, and a very good unit.  You know what I'll give it to Takumi, he's actually reasonably skeptical.

Xander because I like some of ideas he say's, he's Camus reborn and looks cool.

Azura because how can you vote for Corrin over her?

Edited by Ae†her

For Hoshido its easily Takumi because he's the best Fates character in general. Tsundere's tend to be unreasonable jerks but Takumi's actually very well done. He's got every reason in the world to doubt Corrin and once his trust is earned he doesn't expect his friends to keep jumping through hoops to prove themselves to him. His very close bond with his retainers really helps sell that he's a big softie once someone won him over. He's rather multifaceted too. He's strong and experienced enough to come off as a strong enemy and reliable ally but he's also just a vulnerable kid which makes his mistakes, lapses in judgement and damsel streak more believable. He's important and princely enough to engage in serious matters but also childish enough to goof around or act petty and competitive.  

Forn Nohr its either Xander or Leo. I think Leo's objectively the better written character since Xander's a bit of a mess but Xander's got a lot of things going for him too. He's got an excellent design and really sells his status as the patriarch of the Nohrian family, being both strict and caring. Unfortunately Xander is also chained to Garon which is something Leo doesn't suffer from. 

For Valla its easily Azura since Corrin is such a mess. Azura isn't treated very well by the plot either but her supports do a lot to make up for that. Support Azura successfully depicts a shy introverts who adjusts her behavior according to how comfortable she is around people. She's also incredibly helpful to her support partners in most conversations. 

I despise the Hoshidan princes something fierce. The only Hoshidan I even like is Sakura.

Honestly like all of the Nohrians, though Camilla's got issues. Favorite one's Elise, what a precious cinnamon roll.

Vallite isn't even a contest. Don't particularly -like- Azura, but Corrin deserves nothing less than the trash bin.

Hoshido: Easily Takumi. I find him to be a very interesting and compelling character. He's one of the few characters that doubts Corrin and with some legitimate reasons to back up his claims too. He goes through some great character development in Birthright when he learns to open up to Corrin and overcome his insecurities. He also has various insecurities like his inferiority complex that also portray him in a sympathetic, especially how he sees himself as inferior to his siblings and develops a strong desire to prove himself because of it. While there are times he lashes out at others harshly, he means well deep down. He also worries what other think of him, to the point he can be so sensitive that one wrong turnout leads to him criticizing himself quite harshly. Takumi is the character I relate to the most in fiction, and he's also my favorite Fire Emblem character.

I'm quite fond of most of the other Hoshidan royals. For Hinoka, I'm drawn to how she seeks strength and a desire to improve herself to great lengths, to the point she needs to learn the lesson from others that she has to rely on her friends at times and can't just do everything herself like she thinks she could. Sakura is cool to me because I can relate to her timid and introverted nature while having a strong desire to outgrow it and improve herself so that she can help those who are dear to her. Ryoma is the only one I'm indifferent too; his best moments are when he is being a mentor figure to other characters, but I feel he's a bit too perfect in his overall portrayal at times. His moment in Conquest Chapter 25 was really good though, and I loved how it conveys his Bushido values.

Nohr: The only Nohrian royal that I'm really fond of is Xander, and it's particularly the support side of him (the story side of him... let's not talk about that). He is a prince who cares deeply about his own country and family. However, as the Nohr's crown prince, he also faces a struggle with Garon: multiple supports point to how Xander looked up to him in the past but eventually realizes his dad has issues. I also like how Xander looks out the best in others and often does his best to give advice when necessary. What also draws me to him is that he was once a timid and frail kid, and he went through a lot of struggles just to become the strong knight that he is now. It paints him in a sympathetic and relatable light.

The other Nohrian royals don't do much for me. Camilla frustrates me with her obsessive and creepy behavior over Corrin, and Elise in Conquest felt like a flanderized and annoying lolli (I did like her Birthright portrayal though because she was the only one that actively opposed Garon while willing to sacrifice herself to keep her family safe). I'm indifferent to Leo: while I do the appeal behind his character and do enjoy some of his moments in the story and supports, his characterization doesn't resonate with me that much.

Valla: Both are poor characters in the story, but between the two, Azura is the one I like. I did enjoy many of her support conversations. We learn a lot about her backstory there and how she struggled growing up. Her withdrawn and introverted nature mixed with the way she tries to open up to others in her supports was quite enjoyable to witness. She's also a fun sister towards Sakura, 

Hoshido: Takumi- The only royal not to trust Corrin right off the bat plus he was an enjoyable antagonist in Conquest.

Nohr: Voted Leo but I also like Elise as well since they are both some of my favorite mages in the series.

Valla: Azura- Actually didn't like her at first but after playing the game and seeing some of her supports I warmed up to her. Plus I am a fan of her dark Nohrian costume.

Hoshido: Takumi. Easily. No contest, although Sakura comes close by virtue of the two being my first and second most favourite characters in all of Fire Emblem. I've gushed enough about them before, so i'll just echo the sentiment everyone else has given. I'm pretty fond of Hinoka, despite her shortcomings and lack of development. It's probably her design and me reading a lot into her supports. I do like Ryouma, but it's mostly design again and viability as a unit. I also like my personal headcanons for him, but out of all the Hoshidans he's the one I feel the most neutral about.

Nohr: I used to like these guys in the past, but parts of the fanbase and Heroes' pandering towards them has soured my opinion of them a great deal. I can't say I outright hate any of them as characters, even if Camilla's treatment as a fanservice vehicle in the story annoys me. Leo is a good character, and the others all have potential. I just can't bring myself to feel much besides low-key resentment for them, so I just went with Elise. Her moments in Birthright are enough to earn her the vote.

Valla: Azura. Based solely on her design and the fact that Corrin is my least favourite thing about this game.

Edited by Nanima

Takumi, Hinoka and Leo

I can only choose one so. Takumi, Leo and Azura.

The others I'm between: Ok-good (Camilla, Sakura, Azura and Elise), Meeeeh (Ryoma) and I Want to punch your face (Xander and Corrin).

Takumi and Leo are the ones that did it for me, they are interesting and had more development. Hinoka I like her a lot and I even like her voice.

...so i'm noticing a pattern here...

For both Nohr and Hoshido, the order from most to least popular among the fans goes:

1) Little Brother
2) Little Sister
3) Big Brother
4) Big Sister

Coincidence??? 

Edited by Shoblongoo