What's going on with Net Neutrality?

indigoasis

So it seems that net neutrality is here to stay, but a lot of people are saying that the battle isn't over yet. I've also been seeing a lot of statements talking about the ruling, which confused me because of the way they were worded. There was also a thread back from December talking about net neutrality, although nothing's been posted since December 29th, 2017.

Anyway, I thought I would make this thread so no one else has to and so we can start a discussion. I didn't really bother to look in the General US Politics thread, because I didn't think there would be anything there, and also so this topic could have it's own thread.

It isn't here to stay. It needs to go to the house to be reinstated and then Trump has the authority to veto it anyway.

Spoilers: it ain't happening.

It is actually a good thing to make the Republicans directly vote on it, though. It's something to point to as being generally unpopular for voters.

Edited by Tryhard

I'm hoping it stays, honestly. I don't want ISPs to be able to throttle speeds or make people pay for popular sites like cable TV does.

It made it through the senate, it will die in either the House or on the president's desk.

The whole thing is just theatrics for democrats to use during the midterms. They know most people support Net Neutrality, so they're probably going to use that as a platform for a lot of people trying to unseat republicans during the midterms. "Look at so and so who voted AGAINST NN in the House/Senate".

They're probably right to do it and the dems have a history of supporting net neutrality, but yeah. They're not even really being subtle about it.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah, this is mostly a ploy, although there is a slim chance it could pass.

It basically does two things:

1. It shows the democrats can force through bills in the senate.

2. It hurts the GOP because 86% of people support the bill.

That said, even if this bill fails, another may pass. Net neutrality is popular enough to encourage people to flip if they get worried about mid terms.

• 2 years later...