War Cleric or Sage For Lissa

I'm currently doing a True Classic run of Awakening, and I'm wondering which promotion I should give Lissa. War Cleric has somewhat better skills, as well as access to axes (which I sorely need; Vaike died and my only axe users currently are Fredrick and Cerche), while Sage has better magic and gives her a weapon that capitalizes on her best stat. What do you think? (I'm kind of leaning towards Sage)

So far, I have Tharja, Henry, and my Avatar (in both senses of the word). Tharja is doing the best for herself so far, with enough speed to double enemies fairly consistently, but all three are performing quite well for themselves.

That really depends on what role she will play. Are you going to use her for offense or pure healing? Because of it is pure healing, War Cleric might be better as it is a little bulkier, but Sage allows her to deal good damage. Also, what are you other healers? If you’re Maribelle and Libra, then you might as well drop Lissa as both are superior healers.

you might miss out on a child unit without libra because some mother unit will be unpaired

I think two males may die still to pair up each female unit, so Libara's death (if the only one) doesn't matter.

Since Libra died Lissa could replace him as a war cleric. However her stats (especially strength) don't really match this class. She has to wait till she will get the thunder axe to become really good in combat. 

I don't have the experience to tell you which is better, however I liked her as Sage. And also I already have Libra as a War Cleric.

She used to beat regular enemies at the same level. 

Define "True Classic" run. If you aren't reclassing characters after promoting them then she'd be next to useless as a War Cleric not to mention you really don't need Axe users for the campaign anyway certainly not one that you'll be lucky to see 15 or so strength on at level 20 as a War Cleric. Chrom and Robin can beat the entire game by themselves add in Lucina then you have 3 easy units. If you already have Cherche and Lissa isn't promoted by now you should just drop her the appeal of Lissa is that she's an early healer so you can heal small amounts of hp to level her without taking combat experience if she ends up falling behind for whatever reason she can be dropped with impunity, you simply get easier to use options if Lissa is already behind like Anna for instance which you should have and can use as a Locksmith and more mobile healer plus she has decent evade thanks to Lucky Seven.

If your only Axe users are Frederick and Cherche that means you let Lucian die too, he would have been your War Cleric type for a no re-classing run and his relatively high base stats make him an easy father to one of the children to get a free unit with decent enough stats without much effort.

If you're so desperate for an Axe user just wait for Basilio or Flavia, both are usable in a pinch.

Edited by Dwlr

5 minutes ago, Dwlr said:

If your only Axe users are Frederick and Cherche that means you let Lucian die too

That's Libra. And second, the OP already stated that:

5 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

I do have Maribelle and Anna, but Libra died.

war clerics are pretty useless as combat units. Plus lissa generally lacks the strength to make effective use of axes outside of the boltaxe in my experience,  so id say go for sage to make the most of her strengths, though if your fine doing some grinding then either one works i guess.

honestly, id say ditch lissa and just use anna for healing, as they work fairly similar with low str but higher mag but anna starts more developed off the bat, has a bit more utility for doors and chests, and much higher spd.

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That's Libra. And second, the OP already stated that:

The opening post doesn't mention Libra at all it just says vaike died, I don't really care too much if he said it later as I only read the opening post, but I'm sure somewhere in your posts you've posted something redundant just responding to the topic at hand not reading the entire thread, but good for you and good for you pointing out that I got the name wrong and yet somehow you magically still knew who I was talking about, but good for you pointing out that pretty irrelevant to the topic at hand mistake for what I assume is simply an effort to get +1 to your post count but gratz.

Since apparently we're pointing out errors now, you don't start sentences with 'and', it's not proper English, cheers.