DisobeyedCargo does a nuzlocke of Pokémon Gold!

Vote here!  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is trading for evolutions allowed?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are time capsule shenanigans allowed to get certain items like hard powder?

• Yes
    • No

Thanks for the plug!  Only the top part of the screenshots are loading for me, but that may be an issue on my end.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Thanks for the plug!  Only the top part of the screenshots are loading for me, but that may be an issue on my end.

That's odd

im putting them in spoilers so they are easier to load 

Yeah I think it's an issue in your end it's just fine for me 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

11 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

My supplies are pokeballs it's a fucking shiny Pokémon of course I'm gonna catch it! I don't care if it's really undervalued Gyarados has an amazing shiny! 

Oh yeah, G2 problems with shinies.

11 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Gyarados's life in a nutshell 

Also often mine when facing Gyarados, that high special defence makes using electrics not a 100% certainty if you're a bit underlevelled, rocks somewhat more so and everything else has to deal with a giant pissed off water snake.

So Electric type moves are always a personal fixture in teams.

Also, nothing much else to say barring good to see Nido still in it.

Annnd were back!

lance wanted to meet up in the local tourist trap so we head inside 

Spoiler

IMG_3519.jpg

chill I was only gone all weekend

Sorry I had more photos but it caught my entire face which I don't feel like sharing, usually the background is dark enough to hide my face.

why do you even need me Lance you're the champion?

We make our way into the Base, and the main gimmick here is there are Persian statues which will summon trainers that you cannot avoid. Since they are generic mooks i don't feel any need to show them 

Spoiler

IMG_3524.jpg

We make our way through avoiding the statues untill we find a way to switch them off 

Spoiler

IMG_3525.jpg

With that done we continue on our way until we reach a trap that lets us encounter Pokémon!

the electrode at the end might be better, but I'd rather not risk the chance of Self Destruct

our encounter is...

Spoiler

IMG_3526.jpg

eh it's okay, nothing special 

We grab our encounter and nickname it

Spoiler

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

look im making this at 1 in the morning I'm too tired to be creative 

We head downstairs and meet up with Lance, who heals our Pokémon and then rushes off, so we head off to find him 

We find out it takes two passwords to open the door to the boss, and only a few grunts know them, so we need to search for them

Spoiler

IMG_3529.jpg

Alright so, normally I'd go on untill I finished the "dungeon", but it's 1 am, and I'm dead tired. I'm sorry but I'll have to leave it here, I'll try to pick it up again soon though, hopefully in the same day

as a side note, do you all like how I've been formatting the updates, with the pictures in spoilers and such, or would you rather me try something else? 

Welp I woke up at 6 in the morning and can't fall back asleep so here we go!

We go around battling the rocket grunts for the passwords, checking their postbattle dialogue

Spoiler

IMG_3530.jpg

is he now? Well we will have to see when the time comes.

Spoiler

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

you know this radio signal doesn't sound so bad, all it seems to do is force Pokémon to level up which I'd be okay with in this game becusse of how grinding takes forever. I'd give this guy a promotion!

Spoiler

IMG_3534.jpg

why am I not surprised?

IMG_3535.jpg

eew rat tails? Have some taste man.

We find the two passwords so we head down to find Lance, and we find our (good?) friend 

Spoiler

IMG_3536.jpg

Yeah but there's a lot of mooks that are too weak for you so I got em 

IMG_3537.jpg

who Clair?

IMG_3538.jpg

Nah the Pokémon aren't high enough level for you to catch something you'll have to actually train like I DO!

IMG_3539.jpg

Well friendship does increase the power of return which is quite a good move sooooooo

IMG_3540.jpg

He spares us the trouble of a battle and goes on his way, and we enter the chamber

Spoiler

IMG_3542.jpg

didnt Giovanni outright say team rocket is done? I mean I know HGSS retconned that but still FRLG deserves some credit. Or was that in RBY?

Since he has a unique battle sprite he counts as a boss, albeit a generic one, so here we go!

I lead with I THINK Kramer who is in the top slot, and he leads with Zubat

i go for Horn attack becusse I forgot to go get sludge bomb and was too lazy to back track. I outspeed, and he goes for nothing becusse it one shots! The power of Kramer!

Spoiler

IMG_3544.jpg

this is probably a bad time to mention that every time ive had a nidoking in a nuzlocke it's died

His next Pokémon is raticate which we can easily dispatch with double kick

Spoiler

IMG_3546.jpg

the minor chip damage is from quick attack 

His last pokemon is Koffing, and I think you all know what that means...

Spoiler

Time to dominate with Rocky!

IMG_3547.jpg

one Magnitude is all it takes, we even outspeed! 
IMG_3549.jpg

And with that we have won the battle

Spoiler

IMG_3550.jpg

After that he runs off like a scared little girl and we go talk to the bird Pokémon nearby 

Spoiler

IMG_3551.jpg

Mmm no thank you 

We head back up after learning the true password and go open the door

oh are we getting introduced to double battles early?

Spoiler

IMG_3552.jpg

Ohhhh a multi battle, I like that

Spoiler

IMG_3553.jpg

Aww man it's only a single battle. But I'm not sure, could the GB Color handle double battles and they just didn't feel like doing it or didn't have the time, or would it have been impossible for the current hardware? Let me know if you have any idea. 

Regardless we have a boss fight! I lead with Nidoking and she leads with Arbok, an actual fully evolved Pokémon 

I go for horn attack, outspeeding and doing good damage, and arbok goes for wrap, good thing this ain't gen 1.

Spoiler

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I go for one more Horn attack to bring down Arbok! Her next Pokémon is Murkrow, so we send in Rocky to do what else but Throw a rock at it? At this point throwing a rock has become a meme here. 

Spoiler

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Her last Pokémon is Gloom, which we send in Vanflare to deal with.

I go for the wing attack, doing enough damage to one shot and end the battle!

Spoiler

IMG_3560.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

But, this hideout probably cost a lot of money, why jsut let it all waste away, even if you don't need it anymore?

Spoiler

IMG_3563.jpg

The only way to turn off the signal is by killing making the electrode faint, so we do that

Awww no more shiny gyarados 

Spoiler

IMG_3565.jpg

Lance gives us HM06 which is whirlpool, so it's useless... yay?

We can only use it with the Mahogany gym badge so that's the goal for next time!

Spoiler

IMG_3566.jpg

not really, most Pokémon games are pretty easy.

The rocket hideout is finished! That will do it for now

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

5 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Aww man it's only a single battle. But I'm not sure, could the GB Color handle double battles and they just didn't feel like doing it or didn't have the time, or would it have been impossible for the current hardware? Let me know if you have any idea. 

Could the GB do double battles? Couldn't tell you.

Game Freak didn't program them until Gen 3 and I don't remember reading any hints of double battles being considered before then.

5 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

not really, most Pokémon games are around the 20 hour mark if you have any semblance of efficiency

>Semblance of efficiency

>Trying lots of pokemon/Later Gens.

Pick 1.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Could the GB do double battles? Couldn't tell you.

Game Freak didn't program them until Gen 3 and I don't remember reading any hints of double battles being considered before then.

>Semblance of efficiency

>Trying lots of pokemon/Later Gens.

Pick 1.

Well uh

shut up you're making me look stupid 

i knew about when they were programmed, may have to look into the technical specs of the system 

I More of meant as long as you actively don't waste time doing nothing the games don't take a super long time to complete, not bashing how others want to play 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

I tried to get something up today, but I was out with my little sister all day, and when I got home I was feeling really shitty.

im also leaving tommorow to go on vacation for a week, so I guess this is a temporary hiatus.

i shall be back after about a weekish 

Shouldn't Lance be able to solo this place with a level 70 Dragonite or something?  Or maybe they spam Poison Powder on him and he can't stop using Agility.

The Team Rocket of Gen 2 seems to lack any real direction without Giovanni.  Of course their goals were always a bit vague, even in Gen 1.

Do the Rocket Admins in this game have names?

So many water HMs.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Shouldn't Lance be able to solo this place with a level 70 Dragonite or something?  Or maybe they spam Poison Powder on him and he can't stop using Agility.

The Team Rocket of Gen 2 seems to lack any real direction without Giovanni.  Of course their goals were always a bit vague, even in Gen 1.

Do the Rocket Admins in this game have names?

So many water HMs.

Lance is around level 50 but still certainly possible 

at least they were  organized in gen1.

not unique names, but they have their own separate sprites so close enough 

I know we have so many 

In HGSS, Lance's Dragonite is only level 42. So I'd say the game got revenge on his cheating ass.

Petrel, Proton, and Archer all use the same sprite in this game, and Proton isn't even an admin the first time you fight him.

2 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

In HGSS, Lance's Dragonite is only level 42. So I'd say the game got revenge on his cheating ass.

Petrel, Proton, and Archer all use the same sprite in this game, and Proton isn't even an admin the first time you fight him.

Does Dragonite even evolve at that level?  I know a lot of the dragons have crazy high evolution requirements.

Oh, is that what their names are?

4 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

It levels up for the champion fight I believe, but in HGSS it is a double battle and his dragonite is level 42

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Does Dragonite even evolve at that level?  I know a lot of the dragons have crazy high evolution requirements.

Oh, is that what their names are?

In HGSS, in this game it's rocket admin or something 

Dragonair evolves at level 55

they share a different sprite from the grunts so good enough for me 

also I will be back home in a few days, i will arrive home like midnight my time on a Sunday, so I'll try to update the following day

And I'm finally back! Let's get this up and running again!

and what better to kick this back up than a gym battle!

here is the team:

Spoiler

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

We go through the Gym and eventually reach the leader. Have I mentioned how much I hate ice physics on Pokémon? I hate them, and I hate this gym for having them.

Oh great another log winded war time story, can we just cut to the battle?

Spoiler

IMG_3626.jpg

The battle begins!

I decide to send out Nidoking despite the type disadvantage because he has my only fire move, and the charcoal gives fire punch a bit of extra oomph. Pryce sends out seel... a water type. So I switch out for Homer and tank an icy wind 

Spoiler

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

So I sit here for a while spamming Confusion whittling seel down dealing with the CONSTANT FLINCH HACKS untill it finally goes down!

His next Pokémon is Dewgong, which isend out Jetstream to deal with due to being able to tank water and ice better than Homer 

Spoiler

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

I go for surf because even with halved damage it's still Better than bite, and Dewgong goes for Icy Wind which does little damage  

Spoiler

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

Doing so little damage to Dewgong I sit here doing the exact same thing untill Dewgong goes down!

His final Pokémon is Piloswine, so I go for Jetstream again

Spoiler

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

I heal up and Pryce goes for blizzard which does next to no damage 

Spoiler

IMG_3642.jpg

I go for surf, which one shots Piloswine, earning us the Glacier Badge an TM16 Icy wind... I mean ice type coverage is always nice, and it has its utilities in lowering speed i guess...

Spoiler

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

Outside we get a call from Professor Elm, I wonder if he ever got that window fixed?

He called us to go check out the Goldenrod radio tower since they were talking about gang culture, what happened to freedom speech man?

Spoiler

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

Ice Gyms, where the puzzles are harder than the battles.

Is there an excuse for a Gym leader to be sending out an unevolved poke at this point in the game?

Those Antiro guys are worse than Team Rocket.

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Ice Gyms, where the puzzles are harder than the battles.

Is there an excuse for a Gym leader to be sending out an unevolved poke at this point in the game?

Those Antiro guys are worse than Team Rocket.

Yeah I don't know why they even bothered with pryce, Jasmine was all around stronger than him.

also I'm able to finally meet up with my friend for time capsule shenanigans, so expect some, changes next time 

3 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Yeah I don't know why they even bothered with pryce, Jasmine was all around stronger than him.

also I'm able to finally meet up with my friend for time capsule shenanigans, so expect some, changes next time 

Ice is a nice offensive type, but terrible defensively, but they keep trying to make defensive Ice types.  They also keep trying to make the Ice Gyms towards the end of the gym roster.  It would make sense to be the first or second gym, before you've gotten pretty much perfect type coverage, to at least make it seem challenging.  That's what they like to do with Rock for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Ice is a nice offensive type, but terrible defensively, but they keep trying to make defensive Ice types.  They also keep trying to make the Ice Gyms towards the end of the gym roster.  It would make sense to be the first or second gym, before you've gotten pretty much perfect type coverage, to at least make it seem challenging.  That's what they like to do with Rock for some reason.

I know every ice gym is either last or 2nd to last 

gen 4 is where they got ice types mostly right, many speedy offensive ice types 

Alright I know it's been a while, but that's because I didn't want to advance untill I did this:

Spoiler

IMG_3674.jpg

Rocky has now achieved his final form!

note this is a different sprite cause this was taken on yellow version right after the trade 

I did have to teach him dig over magnitude to time capsule him cause magnitude is Gen2, but Dig will suffice 

With that we decide to head to the radio tower and we see gang members outside. 

Spoiler

IMG_3704.jpg

That doesn't look very good so we head inside and see the place is completely overrun!

We scale through the various floors talking to various people 

Spoiler

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

if your only goal as a crime syndicate was to take over one tower, you guys suck in going back to Alola where the true evil team actually succeeded in something, or Platinum and Black where these guys had huge grandiose plans.
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3687.jpg

Technically I'm controlling Pokémon in this game since they have no free will.

We find someone who tells us to go and rescue the director 

Spoiler

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

We go around fighting various grunts untill we get to the director 

Spoiler

IMG_3692.jpg

Yup
IMG_3693.jpg

I mean with no one guarding you not really 
IMG_3694.jpg

Wow I totally didn't see that one coming 
IMG_3695.jpg

I know what an imposter is
IMG_3696.jpg

Good job you did it a winner is you 
IMG_3697.jpg

Sure why not?
IMG_3698.jpg

I already said yes 
IMG_3699.jpg

Cool 

I would have posted the fight but I literally just used dig 6 times on his 5 koffing and one wheezing and I won 

He tells us where the real director is and gives us the underground key

Spoiler

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

I've always wondered why the criminals just comply upon winning a battle. My headcanon is we just threaten them with are Pokémon since they have no more left to defend themselves 

We head into the underground... and there's a rival battle, which I can't do now cause I have work soon so that's it for now 

Spoiler

IMG_3705.jpg

Too bad you had to lose Magnitude.  I loved that move back in the day.  When do you get Earthquake, assuming I didn't miss that already.

5 Koffings and a Weezing?  That's some great team variety there.  Or maybe he was breeding Koffings and just finished hatching all his eggs.

If only Team Rocket members carried a gun, they could effect their evil plans much more efficiently.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Too bad you had to lose Magnitude.  I loved that move back in the day.  When do you get Earthquake, assuming I didn't miss that already.

5 Koffings and a Weezing?  That's some great team variety there.  Or maybe he was breeding Koffings and just finished hatching all his eggs.

If only Team Rocket members carried a gun, they could effect their evil plans much more efficiently.

Earthquake is level 41 I recall 

maybe he was shiny breeding?

I know a gun would be really helpful there, be the ruthless gang member you are and shoot me already!

also, two things. School stuff got in the way of doing the rival battle, expect that hopefully tommorow 

and I also leave for college in 3 weeks. This probably won't be done in 3 weeks. While I plan to continue this until we beat Red, once classes start there will be more delays in updates. Just thought I'd let you all know, really need to put more time on school then.

10 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Earthquake is level 41 I recall 

maybe he was shiny breeding?

I know a gun would be really helpful there, be the ruthless gang member you are and shoot me already!

also, two things. School stuff got in the way of doing the rival battle, expect that hopefully tommorow 

and I also leave for college in 3 weeks. This probably won't be done in 3 weeks. While I plan to continue this until we beat Red, once classes start there will be more delays in updates. Just thought I'd let you all know, really need to put more time on school then.

Ah, you should be able to get that without too much trouble.

My how time flies.  I'm going to have to do school shopping for my son soon.  I do love all the sales they have on office supplies, though.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I should give an update as to recent inactivity 

I’ve moved into college and I want to focus on getting accumulated to college life before I start this back up again, as well as some other things I’d rather not share on here that I need to get through first. 

I’m not saying the LP is over, it’s just gonna be a little bit before I’ll be ready to continue.