How often do you use effective weaponry?

Corrobin

tbh only as bosskillers or during those early-mid chapters when you're start facing generic promoted enemies.

I'm too much of a slut for durability and the weight penalty on enemy phase usually turns me off from using them.

unless we're also talking about the swordslayer because that shit is busted.

Edited by Roxas

Not as much as I should. Magic users can effectively deal with low res units like Knights and Cavaliers just fine, so I don't see much point in using effective weaponry. Unless the situation calls for it, they have a niche role that I don't fully utilize in my playthroughs. The only weapon that I DO use is the Rapier, and even then, it's usually a starting weapon for most Lords that I save for certain units or bosses, so it rarely gets used anyway.

I remember using the ridersbane quite often in Shadows of Valentia. It's a fine weapon in it's own right, but the high amount of horse riding units on Alm's path make it indispensable. It helps that durability isn't an issue in the game, and the weight penalty is fair, so it's never a "too awesome to use" weapon. I also remember using the "armor-crush" skill whenever it was practical.

In other Fire Emblem games, though, I rarely use effective weaponry. Mostly because my best units don't need them to damage enemy units, but also because I would rather give my units extra Javelins/hand-axes or killer weapons than an effective weapon they would rarely use. They're nice for quickly getting rid of powerful bosses and other troublesome foes, but otherwise, I enjoy fighting the enemy with normal weaponry.

Their low durability (and in some games, accessibility) aren't doing effective weapons any favors.

Edited by Hawkwing

In most games I hoard them for "emergencies", which never spring up because I'm a decent player, the whole weapon durability thing and all. In Fates, infinite uses means infinite abuses and I love them. The Ridersbane in SoV is good on a tanky unit, though if you lack a good user of it, off it goes and becomes the Rhomphaia.

I really should burn them up in FE7 and FE9 though, since the effective bonus being only 2x instead of 3x makes them generally not that much stronger or even weaker than Silver. HEL typically see their effectives used heavily for scoring kills to level them up before FFO.

I should also use them more in SD, because Cavs and Armor are a lot of the game, and enemy density isn't terribly high, and forging can halve their durability consumption via OHKO power, so they should last a while.

I use them when ever they’re helpful even in the games with 2x multipliers since they can still be helpful and in the DS games they’re nearly indispensable since forging a them means pretty much anyone, even Est, can oneshot enemy cavs or dracoknights and easily rack up player phase kills.

Not very often, tbh. Most of the time they don't really come off as "I really need to use this", largely because the enemies they're best against are best dealt with by other means (this is most true of armors). Their low durability (and accessibility, in some games) do not help on that front, nor does the high weight in the games where weight is a thing (case in point: Path of Radiance).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

if I have inventory room I'll give them to people, since might as well. If the opportunity comes up to use them, then great. Usually it doesn't come up that often.

I like most only use them in rare scenarios. There's one place I do use them though, in FE8's postgame dungeon gauntlt, I use them along with iron/steel weaponry to get through the many waves of enemies just so I can save silver/brave/legendary weapon durability for the final map with all the necrodragons. Cause those necrodragons are scary if you aren't prepared.

I've been using them more often. I'm playing Thracia right now, and Hammers are everywhere, and so are Armors, so I just abuse them. Also burnt through almost two Armorslayers. But in say, Sacred Stones, I use Heavy Spears if it's the push that gives me a ORKO in a level, and I use Horseslayers and Zanbatos in levels with a lot of cavs (the level in Rausten and the level with Morva are where I spammed them).

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Even in Radiant Dawn, I struggle to justify the inventory space used for it. I just don't consider the slight advantage using a limited resource worth having to switch to and from it in my strategy.

In DSFE they are basically SPAMMED to hell and back due to how effective weapon centric the entire game is, the most egregious being Ridersbane in FE11 and Wing Spear in the same game. Dracoslayer weapon and Wing Spear is also super centralizing in FE12 for a lot of the really potent strats, and of course forged bow destroys everything

In games with low multipliers for effective weapons, like PoR, I usually ignore/forget about them. A notable example is the Hammer, which I usually equip Boyd with to handle the Ch 10 boss on HM for a quick stealth kill in a round. 

Otherwise, they are held onto until needed. In particular, they are quite valuable in FE11 since forging is great and most of the bosses are vulnerable to weapons effective against Armors and/or Cavalry. As a nod to the prodigious DD151, I usually name my Horseslayer GlueFactory to boot.