Bosses you would want if there was a new Subspace Emissary thing?

Dragoncat

Subspace Emissary had villains who didn't make it as fighters appear as bosses, like Petey Piranha and Porky, there were probably others but those are the only two I remember. Who do you want for this? 

My answer: METAL FACE. He spoke at the end of Shulk's reveal trailer, so it's quite possible. Maybe he was going to be in somehow but they scrapped the idea? Lorewise he'd work pretty well, in his source game he's a power obsessed asshat who willingly follows a tyrant and is the closest said tyrant has to a right hand man. So I could see him being the same way with Tabuu if he returns.

Edited by Dragoncat

I agree with Metal Face. He's already in the game so it would be really easy to just put him in any random map. And if he'd be doing lots of talking it would be glorious.

And speaking of glorious things, Hades simply MUST be a boss. He's funny, he's baddass, he's huge and from the personal series of Sakurai. If Sakurai bias gives us Hades in any form then I'm all for it. I can just imagine him talking through the entire stage preceding the boss fight. 

Pokémon: If Rayquaza isn't chosen as a boss again I could see another popular legendary like Lugia or Necrozma being used.

Xenoblade: Metal Face. All the other face units pale in popularity compared to him beside Egil/Yaldabaoth.

Sonic: I could see Death Egg Robot being a boss since it is fairly iconic nowadays and it would give us a chance to fight Eggman in smash. Although any machine Eggman fights in could be used too.

Metroid: Ridley and Kraid seems to be obvious choices for Metroid boss reps.

Mario: King Bob-omb

Fire Emblem: Probably a giant dragon like Grima or Duma would be used.

Zelda: Pig man Ganon with a trident like the classic games could make an interesting boss.

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I agree with Metal Face. He's already in the game so it would be really easy to just put him in any random map. And if he'd be doing lots of talking it would be glorious.

And speaking of glorious things, Hades simply MUST be a boss. He's funny, he's baddass, he's huge and from the personal series of Sakurai. If Sakurai bias gives us Hades in any form then I'm all for it. I can just imagine him talking through the entire stage preceding the boss fight. 

The original Subspace Emissary didn't have any dialogue at all, but I agree that it would be a welcome addition if something like it was to return. How is he already in? I didn't see him out of Shulk's reveal trailer.

My favorite Metal Face quotes for shits and giggles:

"We don't need her! Look at me, look at me! Goody Two Shoes!"

"Brand spanking new! Nothing like fresh ether cylinders and a new paint job!"

"Hate to break it to you boys but it's the Monado they're after! Don't worry, I'll organize your funerals!"

"How's it going, Dunban?"

Last two are as Mumkhar but eh, same diff.

Hades from Kid Icarus right? I need to play that someday.

Edited by Dragoncat

Just now, Dragoncat said:

The original Subspace Emissary didn't have any dialogue at all, but I agree that it would be a welcome addition if something like it was to return.

My favorite Metal Face quotes for shits and giggles:

"We don't need her! Look at me, look at me! Goody Two Shoes!"

"Brand spanking new! Nothing like fresh ether cylinders and a new paint job!"

"Hate to break it to you boys but it's the Monado they're after! Don't worry, I'll organize your funerals!"

"How's it going, Dunban?"

Last two are as Mumkhar but eh, same diff.

Hades from Kid Icarus right? I need to play that someday.

You're forgetting the most important one.

''Whatever you're doing It looks...smashing! hahahaha!' 

And yes. He's from Kid Icarus and actually quite similar to Metalface. Both are petty bullies with great powers and a love of rubbing it in peoples faces. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You're forgetting the most important one.

''Whatever you're doing It looks...smashing! hahahaha!' 

Where was that one? I don''t remember it at all.

On the "petty bully" description, I personally headcanon he was bullied as a kid so it made him bitter and obsessed with power, food for thought.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

How is he already in? I didn't see him out of Shulk's reveal trailer.

He's in Gaur Plains, isn't he?

I kinda want to see another boss like Master Fortress, except maybe it could be some giant fortress from Star Fox instead?

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's in Gaur Plains, isn't he?

He is? I never saw him. But I only have the 3ds version, so maybe he's not in it.

20 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Where was that one? I don''t remember it at all.

On the "petty bully" description, I personally headcanon he was bullied as a kid so it made him bitter and obsessed with power, food for thought.

Its in his appearance in Goar plains but you just said you had the DS version where he doesn't show up. In the Wii U version Metal face is a stage boss who occasionally says amusing lines, one of them being a Smash pun. 

8 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its in his appearance in Goar plains but you just said you had the DS version where he doesn't show up. In the Wii U version Metal face is a stage boss who occasionally says amusing lines, one of them being a Smash pun. 

Oh I thought he said it in his original game. I was confused. But that's totally GLORIOUS lol.

Mother Brain would make for a great boss. Keep smacking on his glass barrier until it breaks while everything in the room shoots at you. Kraid is also a good pick since that fight incorporates platforming elements with his projectiles being shot into the wall. But also hard to balance around other characters' jumping capabilities. Ganondorf would have a hell of a time getting high enough to hit him while somebody like Greninja could probably make it up with his two jumps and that's no fair.

I want the final boss of Sonic 2. His attacks are well telegraphed, looks easy to animate, and it's not weird for him to appear outside the Death Egg on some other Sonic stage simply because he's appeared in so many Sonic games including Mania's Green Hill Zone. And apparently the final boss of Forces is also a sort of reference to it in the first phase. One of these two games is getting represented for the new Sonic stage so I think the classic Death Egg Robot is both a great pick and highly likely.

I have a strong suspicion Kirby Planet Robobot is going to be the subject of the next new kirby stage, and mecha Whispy Woods showing up would be really cool. 

On the subject of balancing around jumping abilities and platforming: Metal Face wouldn't have much platforming if they make it true to his source. There is some platforming but it's very limited and most of it is in Ether Mines where you have to catch the spinning platforms. I swear I fell to my death way too many times there and I was like, if I wanted to do the run, jump, die, repeat thing, I'd just play Spyro.

I can see the fight with Metal Face incorporating the "you have to topple him to do much damage" thing from his source game. Hit him hard enough and he topples, maybe dropping some items in the process. This can be by him hitting the surrounding breakable terrain as he falls or the items just fall out of him. The items might be food/healing items mostly but they could be other items too.

• 2 weeks later...

I too support Metal Face making the jump from stage hazard to full boss. Besides him...

A Yoshi boss could be neat. Naval Piranha's the most iconic, probably.

From The Legend of Zelda, I'd like to see either Manhandla or Helmaroc King, personally. Beast Ganon could work too.

As far as Pokemon go, I'm feeling either Giratina or Necrozma, assuming the former isn't reprising its role as a Pokeball summon.

If Ridley isn't playable, he can be a boss again, but if by some miracle he's playable, I nominate Nightmare from Metroid Fusion. Complete with horrible melty face hidden behind its mask.

Pikmin deserves a boss, with how gigantic they are (comparatively speaking). The Quaggled Mireclops might be a bit TOO big, but a Burrowing Snagret or a member of the Long Legs family could be fun.

Kirby's got a LOT of neat bosses to pull from. If the Halberd shows up again we could have a proper boss battle with the Combo Cannon or Heavy Lobster, or my personal hope: no Kirby boss appears during the main story, but Galacta Knight appears as a bonus boss exclusive to the game's Boss Battles mode like he did in Return to Dreamland's True Arena.

Speaking of recent Kirby games, I hope bosses draw inspiration from how they work there; at half health, they go through a neat animation and get stronger, changing up their attack patterns, changing the arena or their own appearance, and sometimes even changing the battle music.

• 3 weeks later...

Fire Emblem:

Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood as a triple boss or a tag-team trio. They’d have a shared health bar made up of each of their healths. I picture them using their original GBA sprites, maybe with some new animations tbh.

Kirby:

Galacta Knight

Dynablade

How 'bout Kraid? Dude could use a bit of exposure. He ain't had jack shit since Zero Mission.

Edit: THAT REMINDS ME. Even if he isn't a boss, I hope that, if Brinstar is back, or whichever stage it was, they update Kraid to have his Zero Mission look. That look is more badass.

Edited by Dai