Thoughts on Aerial Grabs

Jedi

I was wondering what people would think if Aerial grabs became more of a thing in Smash 5, some characters have moves that can grapple in the air such as Bowser, Wario and Ganondorf.

Would you like this to become more universal or would you simply like maybe a few more characters to have it? Maybe improve the existing ones?

Figured it'd be an interesting line of discussion since Air Grabs do exist in several more normal fighting games.

I don't think it should be as common. Characters that do have them have something else going for them, and it's not like they tend to be really good characters as it is (coincidentally).

Yoshi's my absolute favourite with them in Brawl. Very few players really used it to it's full extent. Maybe applies to 64 and Melee, as well...

I'd like it if only a few characters had it. Maybe add some more to it, like, Link's hookshot can grab in the air (which it can for ledges but not opponents) but i wouldn't want it to be a universal thing. The last thing i need is Jigglypuff flying out to me, grabbing me and comboing that into an offstage Rest (which would also kill the Puff but i'm sure that'd be worth it to the Puff player).

Also, there's the fact that in the air, the grab button functions as the air dodge button (unless a character has a tether like Link). Not that they can't rework the controls but it's going to fuck with a lot of players' muscle memory if they do.

So Bowser's aerial Side B is actually pretty pathetic. You need to be god like with your timing if you want to pick up a medium sized target below you with his 1 active grab frame. The reason why Side B is so good for Bowser in the air is because it lets him land in a neutral state when the opponent thinks he's about to tech the ground. There is no landing state programmed into the move, similar to Fox and Falco lasers in Melee/Brawl. In fact I'm pretty sure his is the only special in Smash 4 that gets cancelled completely when landing during it. Aerial Side B is better as a utility tool than it ever was as a grab. Mewtwo's is also kind of like that, a movement tool in the air more than a grab.

I'd prefer any air grabbing to remain in the form of special moves rather than be a universal tool. When you're on a platform, the opponent can only try to attack from below or attack from the air, both of which are dealt with by holding shield. You're untouchable until your shield runs out or until they land on the platform with you. But when a character has an air grab, they can take advantage of that mindset.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also, there's the fact that in the air, the grab button functions as the air dodge button (unless a character has a tether like Link). Not that they can't rework the controls but it's going to fuck with a lot of players' muscle memory if they do.

Every game kinda messes with peoples muscle memory as is though.

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

Every game kinda messes with peoples muscle memory as is though.

True but there's still a decent amount of consistency. Side-B is always gonna be Side-B, for instance. Across all games (except Smash 64, as it didn't exist then), the shield/grab button has always been the air dodge button when in the air (with the exception of certain characters). Having the shield/grab button not air dodge would cause a lot confusion.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

True but there's still a decent amount of consistency. Side-B is always gonna be Side-B, for instance. Across all games (except Smash 64, as it didn't exist then), the shield/grab button has always been the air dodge button when in the air (with the exception of certain characters). Having the shield/grab button not air dodge would cause a lot confusion.

You could always change your button layout, the Smash games are very good about allowing players to map their own buttons (part of why stuff like the Bidou technique even exists), I'm on the side of only keeping a few characters with aerial grabs but if some new mechanic comes in for a button I don't think it'll be as offputting as you say.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

You could always change your button layout, the Smash games are very good about allowing players to map their own buttons (part of why stuff like the Bidou technique even exists), I'm on the side of only keeping a few characters with aerial grabs but if some new mechanic comes in for a button I don't think it'll be as offputting as you say.

It's true that you can change button layouts but the grab/shield button still functions as the air dodge button as well. If you set the shield/grab button to A, for example, then A will also function as the air dodge button.

Most air grabs belong to superheavyweights who would literally have no landing options otherwise, and be garbage tier. With that said, I am a Dedede main and think Inhale needs a massive buff for Smash 5. It sucks, no pun intended.