Which translation patch for FE4 would you recommend?

Gelsiah

It seems there are several different translations out there for FE4 and I was curious which one is generally regarded as best or most complete.

This will be my first playthrough of the game BTW.

Thanks.

The Gharnef patch is a pretty strong one and it's been around for a long time. I would still say consider looking into Book of Holsety, even if only for the ending sequence as Gharnef's patch doesn't cover it. Otherwise roll with either one imo.

There's Gharnef's FE4 patch, which is 90% complete iirc. The ending sequence is the only thing that's not translated in this patch. The translation is pretty strong and its been around for a long while. 

There's Book of Holsety's FE4 patch which retranslates FE4, and has also translated the ending sequence. Its currently in Beta but its still playable, and recently got an update. Its also a good translation.

I guess I would suggest Book of Holsety's patch, but you could go with either one.

There's two major lineages of FE4 translations. There's the more traditional Reparation line, of which the Gharnef patch is an official name version of, and there's Project Naga, which has several bugfixes and a fancier script, but comes at the price of a larger filesize and therefore some emulators don't play nice with it.

If you care about strict adherence to the Heroes poll, you'll be disappointed; no patch complies with it fully. If you hate the localisation with your guts or just want a more old-fashioned experience, just get the old Reparation patches off RHDN. You might need to do some digging to avoid Serlises, though. If reliable compatibility is up your alley, grab the Gharnef patch, which is also the most easily accessible of them all on Serenes. Should you desire the highest quality script and a smoother gameplay experience, get Project Naga! There's no absolutely superior patch full stop, but if I was pushed to name one as the best, I'd recommend Project Naga. Remember, Project Naga is the only patch with a functional ending! All others crash during it. You can get around the crash, but there is plenty of digging to be done on the forums to find the fix...

To answer the original question: Project Naga is the only complete translation.

Project Naga is really the best. Gharnef's translation is alright and does its job, but I have a hard time with the font. I always use project Naga because of the font and the stability of the patch.