Dialogue in a new Subspace Emissary

Dragoncat

So the original Subspace Emissary had cutscenes but no dialogue. Assuming a new one appears in Smash 5 and it actually has dialogue between the heroes and villains, what would you like/what could you see? Example: what I said to Cargo in a PM:

If Subspace Emissary 2 or something like it happens it NEEDS dialogue. Metal Face being cocky at first around Tabuu but eventually being like "Yes master" and of course taunting the heroes like he already does in his source game. Link being the strong but silent type, but does talk when he finds it necessary, and him and Shulk developing a bit of a bromance.  Mario being the pep talker "Let's a go everybody!" Etc.

Of course not all characters would talk, Pikachu would just go "Pika pika!" and most of the pokemon would probably just make pokemon noises with the exception of Mewtwo and maybe Lucario via telepathy.

Captain Falcon hitting on all the females I could see too. And the Link/Shulk bromance NEEDS to happen. Two blond blue eyed boys who are the chosen heroes in their respective worlds, both are introverts, they'd get along well.

Edited by Dragoncat

8 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

. And the Link/Shulk bromance NEEDS to happen. Two blond blue eyed boys who are the chosen heroes in their respective worlds, both are introverts, they'd get along well.

They probably will both also have a costume of just them in their swimsuits. 

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Link never talks tho 

and I also feel like their actions and facial depictions do a good enough job without dialogue  

I think Link would talk when he has to, but kinda rarely. Yeah, the cutscenes in the original worked, but I would have liked some dialogue.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

They probably will both also have a costume of just them in their swimsuits. 

YES. Lol, and making a bet about who can get one of the girls interested in him first. Out of character at all? Maybe xD

25 minutes ago, GreatKnightEcho said:

Kirby would probably just say "Poyo!" a lot, with possible bracketed text showing the translation of what he's saying.

I can see the same thing for Pikachu. Maybe certain characters can understand the ones that just make noises and others can't? Like Mewtwo being a Pikachu translator, otherwise Pikachu just gestures and goes "Pika!" to get across what he's saying to the rest of the group but the player gets the bracketed translation.

I think Pit would make a pretty natural main character for such a mode if there's actual dialogue. Of all the Nintendo characters he's the one most frequently engaging in dialogue and being a nerd makes Pit incredibly familiar with all the Nintendo worlds. Sakurai is also very, very familiar with Pit so he'd be easy for him to write dialogue for. 

But that's also a lot of my own personal bias speaking. 

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Pit would make a pretty natural main character for such a mode if there's actual dialogue. Of all the Nintendo characters he's the one most frequently engaging in dialogue and being a nerd makes Pit incredibly familiar with all the Nintendo worlds. Sakurai is also very, very familiar with Pit so he'd be easy for him to write dialogue for. 

But that's also a lot of my own personal bias speaking. 

Maybe they could bring in other devs to help so Sakurai doesn''t have to write it all by himself? That would be a good thing, because who knows if he'll be able to write everyone else properly.

No dialogue, writing interactions between such an eclectic mix of characters would be borderline impossible without it coming off really strange, cringeworthy, downright cheesy, or brain bleaching awful. ROB, WFT, Kirby, Mario, Samus, Ness, Ike, Shulk, the spectrum of Smash inclusions is just too disparate to have them chat. Keep it wordless and serious/cool/funny physical actions. Simplicity is best here.

Although on the secondary Shulk swimsuit topic, I'd like them to give him the two non-blue swimsuit colors from XC:

Pc015104Pc016104

I'd also like instead of shirtless for him to get the Makna Top to go with it, at least as an alternative. Sometimes clothes make a good accessory to the body.

maybe instead of dialogue we have a narrator and maybe pit or some sort of character interject every so often for some comedic 4th wall breaks.

Thing is though...there's so many characters now - a lot more than there was in Brawl. I have a feeling they'd struggle to give them all somewhat equal screentime...

Also, some characters are essentially blankslates. It'll be pretty controversial no matter what they do with them - look what happened when Samus started talking in Other M, or freaking Pikachu in the 20th Pokemon movie (though that was probably through Ash's perspective).

I just don't think dialogue would work, though I'd like to see them try. Maybe if they do, we'll get Marth and Roy using their English voices in Smash.

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No dialogue, writing interactions between such an eclectic mix of characters would be borderline impossible without it coming off really strange, cringeworthy, downright cheesy, or brain bleaching awful. ROB, WFT, Kirby, Mario, Samus, Ness, Ike, Shulk, the spectrum of Smash inclusions is just too disparate to have them chat. Keep it wordless and serious/cool/funny physical actions. Simplicity is best here.

15 minutes ago, Lau said:

Thing is though...there's so many characters now - a lot more than there was in Brawl. I have a feeling they'd struggle to give them all somewhat equal screentime...

Also, some characters are essentially blankslates. It'll be pretty controversial no matter what they do with them - look what happened when Samus started talking in Other M, or freaking Pikachu in the 20th Pokemon movie (though that was probably through Ash's perspective).

Good points, I guess this kind of thing is better left to fanfic? There can still be a Link/Shulk bromance without dialogue I guess.

But at least let the villains talk? There won't be as many of them and I'd love to see Metal Face try to sass Tabuu and get put in his place. 

Tabuu: I'm the leader here, watch your tongue! The scouts have informed me the Monado wielder and his ragtag group of buddies are approaching our location. You are familiar with that one, are you not? Destroy him and the others, and I'll reward you tremendously.

Metal Face: ...Tell me the extent of this reward.

Etc. But then again, if the villains talk and not the heroes it would be odd.

@Interdimensional Observer Who is WFT?

Edited by Dragoncat

47 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Who is WFT?

Wii Fit Trainer.

Which is appropriately ironic, since everyone was WTF when they were revealed.

48 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Good points, I guess this kind of thing is better left to fanfic? There can still be a Link/Shulk bromance without dialogue I guess.

I think there can still be bromance, Subspace Emissary did have a few truly funny interactions without dialogue, like Peach's sudden offer of tea, the awkward Captain Falcon Pikmin murder. And there was the rather cool Marth meets Meta Knight scene.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think there can still be bromance, Subspace Emissary did have a few truly funny interactions without dialogue, like Peach's sudden offer of tea, the awkward Captain Falcon Pikmin murder. And there was the rather cool Marth meets Meta Knight scene.

I don't remember the majority of it tbh but yeah, there definitely can.

And okay, yeah, Wii Fit Trainer was a wtf addition.

To be honest, my ideal Subspace would feature cutscenes using in-game models in a way not dissimilar to Kirby games. Kirby fights a boss, does a dance, and then notices the bad guy escaped. It's goofy, but the point is no dialogue needs to be exchanged. I get that nearly half the Smash roster can canonically speak, and a few more could feasibly look correct with written dialogue, but I just want story enough to describe who the Big Bad is, I don't need the motivations and goals of so many different characters. Some of them are going to be reeeaaal stinkers.

2 hours ago, Otts486 said:

maybe instead of dialogue we have a narrator and maybe pit or some sort of character interject every so often for some comedic 4th wall breaks.

I'd be down for this too. Pre level narration would take the burden off of silent characters.

10 minutes ago, Nym said:

Mario making fun of Captain Falcon for not having a new game.

Welp everybody go home, Nym has won the internet. 

That would be some pretty strong 4th wall breaking though.

18 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Mario's a nice guy though. Let Falco dish out the trash talk. Falco and Falcon are both hotshot pilots, so they ought to have a rivalry anyway.

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Mario's a nice guy though. Let Falco dish out the trash talk. Falco and Falcon are both hotshot pilots, so they ought to have a rivalry anyway.

I'm pretty sure they do in Star Fox Command world no. 3. Or however you count the endings.

I think Nym was saying that Mario has gotten a bunch of new games and Captain Falcon hasn't. And there hasn't been a new Starfox game in awhile either I think, so Falco would be in the same boat.

But I can totally see Falco and Captain having a bit of a rivalry or bromance like Link and Shulk, only with more competition and trash talking like Falco being called a dumb bird or something. Link and Shulk are just like, I've got your back bro, but don't touch my sword. The Monado causes berserk attacking everything in sight if someone other than the chosen wielder tries to wield it in most cases anyway. Idk about the Master Sword.

Edited by Dragoncat

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

XD

But seriously, I remember when Captain Falcon was announced for Smash 4 and someone at Nitendo (Sakurai or Reggie?) tweeted 'when will you get your next game?'

For real, he has so much potiential as a fighting/racing game hybrid yet their only racing franchise is mario kart.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

*Flashback to Game Theory's video*

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

I think Nym was saying that Mario has gotten a bunch of new games and Captain Falcon hasn't. And there hasn't been a new Starfox game in awhile either I think, so Falco would be in the same boat.

At least Starfox has Syarfox 64 who is still considered a great game and Assault wasn't bad.

Meanwhile Falcon had nothing since the Gamecube.

Idea: Since Link appears to rarely talk, what does everyone think of Shulk talking for him on occasion? Once they're best bros of course. Shulk is still mostly quiet but he probably talks more than Link.

Example:

Link: *points at menu*

Shulk: He'll have the chicken wings with barbecue sauce. I'll have the pepperoni pizza.

Link: *takes out yellow rupee and points to it*

Shulk: And he wants to know if you can give him change for a yellow ruby.

Link: It's RUPEES!

Shulk: Whoops, my mistake.

Here's how I think it could work:

No dialogue during cutscenes. However, during the actual levels themselves, certain characters (the ones who have precedent for speaking in their games, like from Fire Emblem, Metroid, Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, Sonic the Hedgehog, ect) have spoken dialogue exchanges overlaying the gameplay similar to how it works in Kid Icarus: Uprising or most Warriors games.

That way it's not weird having folks like Link, Lucas, Villager, ect. standing around being silent while everybody else talks; the conversation is occuring in that weird non-diegetic space that a lot of video game conversations occur within, separate from the main action, and the mute/non-voice-acted folk just happen to not be in that conversation.

I feel the safest way to implement such dialogue to Super Smash Bros. would be to have it be text only, maybe with a few grunts or one liners on top of it like in Awakening or Fates. This way if it is absolutely necessary for a traditionally silent protagonist to partake in a vocal conversation I think fans would be more accepting of the changes where they would otherwise not be. There's a big difference between between reading something and having it said aloud in my experience.