What do you think of the little quirks the Fateswakening cast has?

Corrobin

If you look at the little bios and personality descriptions (the ones in the unit roster and mentioned in the DLC Roster Rescue, at least in Awakening), they all have a little tidbit about units. To mention a few...

Chrom: Most likely to break things

Say'ri: The most talented skin diver

Lon'qu: The deftest potato peeler

Flora: Has the most powerful jealousy

Benny: The friendliest with bears

Izana: Speaks the most languages

What do you think of these interesting factoids?

Edited by Corrobin

I'd like them a bit more if they'd show up in places like support conversations/random chat.  Benny's sort-of does, but perhaps one of Lon'qu's supports could've been around cooking or something (since he does potato peeling).

I think the little quirks would be nice if they ever showed them, but ontop of their tropey quirks already I think it'd just cause more complaints.

honestly, if they aren't used in any capacity for supports or chatter, I see little reason to bother with them. They range from we know (chrom breaks stuff and lucina is flat in two ways) to absurd (sain is the best potato peeler lon'qu pales in comparison) to pointless (Kellam is the tallest of the army when seated, I'm sure that whoever thought of that one is really proud), I just don't see much purpose behind them.

Yeah, I found them enjoyable, but I would have far preferred if they appeared more in story/supports/other locations. I know a couple are mentioned at various times (specifically Chrom) but if they were more prevalent I would enjoy them more.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

honestly, if they aren't used in any capacity for supports or chatter, I see little reason to bother with them. They range from we know (chrom breaks stuff and lucina is flat in two ways) to absurd (sain is the best potato peeler lon'qu pales in comparison) to pointless (Kellam is the tallest of the army when seated, I'm sure that whoever thought of that one is really proud), I just don't see much purpose behind them.

I disagree with you on Kellam. As annoying as I find Kellam's gimmick to be, or at least how it's portrayed, saying he's the tallest while sitting is a neat way of saying that he doesn't slouch, which comes from his desire for just any amount of attention and acknowledgement.

I'm okay with them. They're cute and tend not to be as intrusive as the main gimmicks. 

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

but perhaps one of Lon'qu's supports could've been around cooking or something (since he does potato peeling).

I think one of them does actually. With Gregor I believe. 

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

I think one of them does actually. With Gregor I believe. 

This really should've been one with a woman (Cordy would've worked).  Have her comment on how neatly he preps everything, and have them tag-team the camp's dinner or something.

I don't mind the quirks themselves.

I hate the main gimmicks. 

They're almost inverse problems, though. Whereas the gimmicks are annoying and intrusive, the quirks are almost non-existant and don't really matter to the characters. Chrom breaking stuff comes up... Once? I think? I don't even know what the fuck a "skin diver" is, or what it has to do with Say'ri, and I wouldn't know about such a thing if it wasn't written somewhere. 

Edited by Slumber

Quirks in characters arent exactly bad, but when they take up a character's entire personality it becomes a problem.

Tharja for instance had her entire character composed of "yandere witch girl", lacking any real development involving a proper backstory or anything outside of that.

Something like Gaius is what works. While he did love candy, there was much more to his character than just that.

Edited by CatManThree

They're okay.

I found most of them interesting, I chuckled at some, and a few were actually pretty clever, and I never got the sense that the writing team wasted any time or resources making them. I was also okay with them not appearing (often, anyway. Some of these are actually referenced) in the conversations, as I treated them as minor tidbits that wouldn't mean much in the long run anyway.

However, I also didn't mind them being absent from Echoes, or any of the previous games. I see these little quirks as harmless overall. I won't complain if they come back, and I won't care if they go away.

I always chuckle when I read through some of the character bios. They're just so random and seemingly pointless sometimes, like how Nyx "makes the best presents" or how Elise "never forgets birthdays".