Reclassing help

Just got the game yesterday and the reclassing feature seems really cool in how it is implemented, but I have no idea how to tell if a character should stay in a different class or go in a class for a few levels. Any tips or such to help me out with it?

Well there's one main way to tell, which is whether they start as a physical or magic unit.  Physicals should stay physical and magicals should stay magic because they're almost always gonna have a 0 or 5 in the opposing stat growths (e.g. Draug has 5 in magic growth, Merric has 0 in strength growth).

Otherwise, the units are typically good in their base classes.  Though because units can freely change between classes in the briefing (within limits; units belong to certain "class sets" and you can only have so many of a particular class), you might find it's better to change the classes of your regulars to better suit the mission.

I'd mostly say you should experiment.  This game gives you a ton of breaks and contingencies should you fail, so even if you lose your entire army, you can still beat the game.  If you're playing either on Normal or 1-star Hard mode, it'll pretty much be like playing through the original games minus being able to hand Caeda Jagen's silver lance right away, which means reclassing is by no means necessary.

Reclassing is more fun in the sequel than it is in this game due to higher growths in general.

To keep this short: If you wanna have fun, pick a class and then look at the absolute growths and decide if you think that unit could work in that class (ie some people want the "Dark Mage" class and choose to use Cord or Caesar as that).

If you're looking to steamroll the game: Paladins to DracoKnights, reclass for better bases. Sedgar/Wolf to Hero/General.

Weapon ranks are another thing that's worth considering. They don't grow particularly fast in FE11, so it's always good if a unit can keep at least one of them when reclassing. Paladins, for example keep their lance rank when you reclass them into Dracos, making this a great option for better class bases and mobility. Fighters reclassing to Hero after promotion is another great option for similar reasons.

The big class changes are things like Draug -> Hunter -> General, Darros -> Knight, and Wolf/Sedgar -> anything else, but you can have some fun with other changes.

I see people recommend Cavalier for Navarre from time to time to help fix his durability (and it keeps his sword weapon rank) and I'm a fan of cavalier->Wyvern Gordon.

Haven't playe the game in a while, but I remember doing [cleric] to [mage] for Lena.

Wrys and Wendell give you enough heals, and extra fireballs to fry all those no-res baddies is a nice thing to have

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 5/23/2018 at 1:22 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

Just got the game yesterday and the reclassing feature seems really cool in how it is implemented, but I have no idea how to tell if a character should stay in a different class or go in a class for a few levels. Any tips or such to help me out with it?

Going in a class for a few levels can be good sometimes, especially if a character needs a particular stat.

Wolf and Sedgar will gain good levels in defense and HP as Generals for example.