Is it better to pull five characters each time or only go for the colour you want?

Jotari

I've been colour sniping since July, it hasn't been a bad call, especially since I'd often go for more than one colour at a time on banners with new characters. It's pretty noticeable the difference in luck I had between the first four months of FEH where I didn't snipe at all and the four months after I started in July (Skipping June entirely because of misery), where I had a far more diverse barracks of 5* units compared to before where it was..... limited to say the least (5/7 of my 5* units were blue in June. I was up to 14 in the month after I started pulling in July again).

Even still, it depends on what you're going for as well, green units usually being by far the hardest to try for. Aside from that, pity breakers are indiscriminate and don't give a hoot. Pre 2.4, it would usually be miserable (Jakob has done it 3 times. I've still not used that Armoured Jakob much despite his apparent OP'ness)

When I first started playing the game I didn't care who I got as a 5* because I needed as many 5* as I could get. But now I only pull for specific colors because I usually have specific heroes in mind that I'd like to get, considering I already have a pretty good selection of heroes now. It may take a bit longer to build up the appearance rate but it is worth it to me because you save more orbs towards getting the hero you want, and you won't have as big of a risk as breaking your appearance rate, especially when you could potentially get another one of the focus units that you didn't want if you go for all of the orbs. 

On 5/24/2018 at 7:49 AM, Jotari said:

Ive been dying to get a Ninian for ages now and I don't want to fail on this banner. I was wondering what people's pull strategies generally are. Given that every five times you pull a five star unit, the chances of getting one goes up, it seems logical to spend the full twenty orbs on each session. But then you risk pulling someone you don't want at five stars and resetting the counter (which is exactly what happened to me with Marth just now, already have like six of him at four stars that I'm not bothering to promote, not really joyas to get a five star one). I guess the best strategy is to brute force it to start and then play it coy.

I used to focus on the color of the character I wanted in the banner, but lately, the character whose color I want the most is the one that shows the least in each summon session  (right Zelgius? :dry:)

11 hours ago, Ae†her said:

Yeah, it pretty much feels like this, but for me it's across banners rather than individual summoning sessions. I got three LA! Hectors, 2 LA! Lilinas at one point not expecting anything out of the banner, and at my worst I tried summoning for the New Years banner sniping greens for Airzura, and got pretty much nothing with about the same number orbs given in. It feels like this back and forth, WoT banner - loss, Genealogy 2nd Gen banner - wins...etc.

Any data set that isn't big enough will see large variance due to luck. If you're still seeing big swings, then that simply means you're not grouping a large enough set of pulls together, which is understandable given how large these data sets actually need to be to mitigate variance (and how few pulls most players are capable of making over the course of a month relative to this size).

You need about 400 pulls (i.e. a minimum of 1600 orbs) just to bring your standard deviation down to 25% (which basically means you have a 70% chance of your average being within 25% of the expected value, so if you were expecting 20 5-stars, you'd have a 70% chance of landing in the 15-25 range and a 95% chance of landing in the 10-30 range).

OP, The answer to your question is conditional. There is not catch-all answer.

It depends if you're starting out, played this game for a little while, or a really long-time player. I think that, if a player is just starting out, you're going to want quantity. If the player has 5-6 months of playing this game, like me, you still focus mostly on quantity since skill fodder can be quickly depleted to enhance your workhorses. I've easily burned through a few Barsts and I'm not quite willing to hastily sacrifice my currently few Selenas for Reposition because her other skills are also valuable for things I want(Triangle Adept for Raven builds). But you can afford to target a specific color to cover needs or get the character you want once in a while. 

Once the player's barracks starts really getting full, then the focus will probably shift more towards targeting specific characters. 

@Jotari I just managed to pull my first Ninian by snipping on this banner after trying for her for a year.  It took around 90 orbs so it might take a while, but keep trying.  Since I snipped only blue I did not have any pity breakers.  So just keep snipping until you pull her.  

Do people not snipe the colors they want?

I've been sniping colors since basically the first banner of the game. Why am I going to pull other orbs on units I don't want? And I'm f2p sooooo I can't NOT snipe. But I've gotten every character I've ever wanted (at some point), so it's always worked for me. My friend likes to pull all the colors, and he has more unique 5* then I do. But not all the characters he wants, so I like to think of that as proof that sniping works.

I almost always snipe unless It's a  legendary banner or something (in which case you are unlikely to get any given unit anyway). Granted, part of the reason for that is a lack of self control on my part (I want to pull now instaed of waiting until i have 20 orbs, darnit) THat being said, I sometimes will pull off-banner colors if i need fodder in that color anyway, and it is a 3 orb summon (i pulled one or two colorless on the current bride banner when i had a bunch of orbs, and wanted klien, nanna, and sothe from the 4* pool (got a nanna, too).

Edited by sirmola

Think of it this way. 20 orbs will get you either 5 units where you can't reroll for better colours, or 4 units where you can reroll for better colours after each pick. If you only want one of the banner units, the latter is a better deal.

Always snipe if there's one specific unit you'd want. The only reason you'd pick another color is if the current summoning session flipped the bird at you by presenting you with 0 stones that matches the Focus unit you're trying to snipe. In this particular case, only pull 1 color stone that has no Focus unit or has the lowest chance of getting a 5* pull and immediately leave the session.

Even Legendary Heroes banners may be worth sniping if there's a unit you feel REALLY strongly about getting though Legendary Heroes banners are much more suited for full-pull sessions for those who don't care about which Focus units they're getting and only care about getting any Focus units.

Edited by Roflolxp54