Playing through the Tellius games... (For the first time!)

Tsak

I've been playing Fire emblem for quite a while. And i've always regretted not playing the Tellius series, after hearing a lot of good praise coming from friends and other people i know; i still don't know why it's taken me this long.

That being said, I've decided now is the time!
I've already started on Path of Radiance and I'm just about to fire up Chapter 11.
I know this seems a little silly to make a whole topic about this but i thought it might be interesting to get some conversation going about someone whose known and played many fire emblem games but never actually touched PoR or RD. This is fairly blind (though i've seen a few videos of mangs doing his Maniac run through with mekkah, that's about it)
I was going to regularly update this thread with my thoughts as i go through the game.

My thoughts so far up to Chapter 11:

• Titania is really that good, gives Seth a run for his money
  • Ike seems much better than Roy
  • My Oscar is strength screwed, seems to be studying magic
  • I couldn't choose between Ilyana and Soren so i field both
  • Rhys still has 0 defense
  • My first promotion was Kieran, i wanted a 2nd Titania
  • Axes seem really good for once, maybe it's because the last game i played through completely was FE6 but still
  • Mordecai makes me feel small
  • Shove makes me happy
  • Should i forge a weapon every chapter? seems good
  • I seem to be hoarding bonus exp, i have like 5 levels stored for idk who?
  • Rip Greil
  • Volke seems terrible in combat, but i love that he charges you for every lock he opens
  • Brom is permanently benched now and forever, there is always one character and he's that character for me.
Spoiler

Past Chapter 11:

• Random Black Knight appears! seems like a way to make you speed up the chapter. Oscar was 1 tile away from his attack range getting the killer lance. pretty funny
  • I hope i get Jill's boss he looks dope
  • Promoted Mia, why not. Probably gonna use Zihark too, he's kinda cool. (I love swordmasters)
  • Too bad Volke couldn't steal that laguzslayer from the boss this chapter. he was off by 1 speed. 1 should do fine though.
Spoiler

C12:

• interesting chapter, Ravens are annoying. they double stuff
  • First casuality is Soren. Forgot i redid my battle prep and he got 1 less level. that 1 speed costed him getting doubled
  • It's ok i redid the chapter and let him Elwind the crap out of like 4 of the birds.
  • Jill is laguzist
  • Dragons are nice, and can push boats.
  • Elincia wants the D, Ike is completely oblivious as usual
Spoiler

C13:

• Whoosh, actually a doozy. had to restart a few times.
  • First time was great, then i misjudged what the crows were gonna do and they just swooped in and seized the door lol. thought they wanted treasure more whoops
  • Second time didn't last too long, Astrid got killed off the bat. gotta defend that goofball
  • Third time was the charm, perfected Volkes chesting spree and had the last Bird take the occult scroll to kill Axe'd by Kieran. Solid
  • Boss had a fairly punchable face
  • I feel like this isn't the last time i see edgy mcbird man
  • Also Eagleman looks cool
  • Sanaki is about as obnoxious as it gets, not surprising. I know her from heroes
Spoiler

C:14

• Hmm whoops forgot to bring marcia. I imagine her dead beat brother is makalov
  • Yup it is, interesting, don't mind having another cav. Might train him up, seems to be paladin life atm
  • Mia did better this chapter, 1 shot the boss with a steel sword. lulz
  • Feral Laguz at last, interesting. Didn't fight them though, didn't expect mia to 1 shot.
  • All the beasts in one little desert stronghold. awesome, Caineghis and Dheginsea when are you coming to Fire emblem heroes?
  • Oliver and edgy mcbird man are scheming, they're probably targeting the fancy angel looking laguz.
Spoiler

C:15

• So being a desert chapter i had to get bust the wiki out for those hidden items
  • Brought Lethe and Mordecai, and oh my god Stefan the god
  • Forreal his stats are bonkers for a prepromote he makes Karel look bad
  • Jill and Ilyana put in some work
  • Muarim seems like a beast, might use him
  • Extra Occult scrolls are awesome
  • who to give the boots to? i wonder
  • I knew edgy mcbird man would do that to his old homie. Good thing i don't have to wait long to save him from Michael Jackson duke of HEE HEE
Spoiler

C:16

• So we raid the Duke of heehee at last
  • Devdan pls
  • Volke doing his thing
  • fairly uneventful chapter
  • Important story things
Spoiler

C:17

• This chapter was actually really fun
  • I like being able to reinforce mid battle and take out stuff for my units to reinforce with
  • Ilyana legit was mvp this time, promoted mid-battle on part 3, and just completely destroys on part 4
  • I wish there was a thief/steal staff, would of loved to steal a meteor
  • Tibarn to the rescue sorta? pretty much over, but he did clear out those pesky archer cavaliers trying some sneaky business
  • Had to bumrush for the adept scroll, don't want a birdie stealing my kills
  • Oliver was weak as heck wtf
  • The forest is all nice again hurray
  • Ike promotion was cool, just hit 20 in that battle too
Spoiler

C:18

• So ran through this chapter twice, really wanted to get Shinon
  • Figured i'd have to talk to him with Rolf but got kinda confused after that
  • Checked the Wiki to see how to get him exactly
  • Fairly straightforward chapter, everyone performed as usual
Spoiler

C:19

• Man this one was pretty fun
  • Naesala spooked the shit out of me thank goodness i could dance a hawk in range otherwise he would of tore up
  • Kieran tanked him well enough with the laguzguard though
  • Kudos to that 1 random Holy guard that literally dealt with half the army by herself, actually had to order her to avoid so she didn't get all the exp herself
  • Aether procs way too much, it's amazing
  • Astrid is gross as a Paladin, super powerful
  • Volke was hired to kill Greil? what a beast
  • Dang Rip Ike's mom
Spoiler

C:20

• Nasir you bastard (i knew it)
  • Sad times, there goes Jill's dad
  • Also conversely Jill was benched for the first time since I started using her
  • Calil is really like Female Pent, but for me at this point she's not needed. Though i guess she does perfect my trifecta of Wind/Lightning/Fire mages. Might see some more use
  • Volke being locked to Knives is bollocks, they actually do 0 damage (he's got like 15 strength too wtf)
  • I have to get Haar at some point? Hopefully?
  • Love the Daein soundtrack. Had to look it up, Stratagem in Black Armor. I dig it

Edited by Tsak

Nice to see someone else who is playing blind for the first time. Would appreciate your thoughts on the game as they come along. Generally speaking, you do want to forge every single chapter. 

Pumping bonus experience into Marcia to make her into a strong combat unit is usually a good idea. If you want to steamroll this game, snowballing EXP into a couple of units is the way to go. 

Enjoy!

These games are a treat. Shame that you're probably already spoiled on the identity of the Black Knight and some of the later plot twists in RD--but just take it in for what it is.

Tellius was a storytelling masterpiece. (PRO TIP: Volke is no slouch in combat. He has tremendous growths in strength/skill/speed and even locked to daggers, he becomes a heavy-hitting dodge tank with thief utility to boot. He'll auto-promote to assassin once you hit a certain point in the story and is a prime candidate for an occult scroll--lethality is actually one of the better master skills in this game. Never hurts to feed him whatever kills you can and put some levels on him, on the maps where you field him to steal shit)

Edited by Shoblongoo

17 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Nice to see someone else who is playing blind for the first time. Would appreciate your thoughts on the game as they come along. Generally speaking, you do want to forge every single chapter. 

Pumping bonus experience into Marcia to make her into a strong combat unit is usually a good idea. If you want to steamroll this game, snowballing EXP into a couple of units is the way to go. 

Marcia huh? Honestly I'm pretty bad when it comes to training Pegasus Knights but I'll give her a shot, her strength seemed quite high for a Peg so i was interested.
For whatever reason in most games i seem to just ignore most Pegasus Knights in favor of using Wvyern knights and their promoted ilk, not sure why. Could be aesthetics

Edited by Tsak

4 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Enjoy!

These games are a treat. Shame that you're probably already spoiled on the identity of the Black Knight and some of the later plot twists in RD--but just take it in for what it is.

Tellius was a storytelling masterpiece. (PRO TIP: Volke is no slouch in combat. He has tremendous growths in strength/skill/speed and even locked to daggers, he becomes a heavy-hitting dodge tank with thief utility to boot. He'll auto-promote to assassin once you hit a certain point in the story and is a prime candidate for an occult scroll; never hurts to get some levels on him in the mean time)  

Hmm so he probably learns lethality i'd imagine, sounds good. Haven't used an assassin in a bit, probably worth a shot! I do like Volke's no nonsense attitude, I'll add him to the list of projects.

Use the bonus exp on Rolf. You're about to go into a chapter full of bird laguz and your only units that will be any good against them are him and Soren. Also give Mist levels, as she'll be forced in a scenario with Ike late in the game.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Enjoy!

Tellius was a storytelling masterpiece. (PRO TIP: Volke is no slouch in combat. He has tremendous growths in strength/skill/speed and even locked to daggers, he becomes a heavy-hitting dodge tank with thief utility to boot. He'll auto-promote to assassin once you hit a certain point in the story and is a prime candidate for an occult scroll--lethality is actually one of the better master skills in this game. Never hurts to feed him whatever kills you can and put some levels on him, on the maps where you field him to steal shit)

1 hour ago, Tsak said:

Hmm so he probably learns lethality i'd imagine, sounds good. Haven't used an assassin in a bit, probably worth a shot! I do like Volke's no nonsense attitude, I'll add him to the list of projects.

I would disagree on Volke being a good candidate for an Occult scroll. Lethality is extremely unreliable (as in single digit activation rate levels of unreliable). And while we're on the subject of occult scrolls, you would do well to give Ike one.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Use the bonus exp on Rolf. You're about to go into a chapter full of bird laguz and your only units that will be any good against them are him and Soren. Also give Mist levels, as she'll be forced in a scenario with Ike late in the game.

oooo looks like Soren's gonna have to carry lol. Rolf is sharing the bench with Brom.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I would disagree on Volke being a good candidate for an Occult scroll. Lethality is extremely unreliable (as in single digit activation rate levels of unreliable). And while we're on the subject of occult scrolls, you would do well to give Ike one.

Hmm true, occult scrolls sound cool. Also fun fact i didn't think skills were lost forever when you removed them. rip miracle, though once i realized how shit miracle is in this game i took it off Mia. I know Mia seems pretty meh but i got some really solid level ups when i wasn't trying to use her and now i've poured like 3 levels of bonus experience in so she's ready to go boss!

5 minutes ago, Tsak said:

oooo looks like Soren's gonna have to carry lol. Rolf is sharing the bench with Brom.

Hmm true, occult scrolls sound cool. Also fun fact i didn't think skills were lost forever when you removed them. rip miracle, though once i realized how shit miracle is in this game i took it off Mia. I know Mia seems pretty meh but i got some really solid level ups when i wasn't trying to use her and now i've poured like 3 levels of bonus experience in so she's ready to go boss!

Then at least get the laguzslayer available in a base conversation not long before this chapter and give it to Ike. Otherwise, you'll probably have a tough time with this one.

Mia was never good for me, personally. Her str was always way too low.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Well, you will want to give Ike the Laguzslayer from a base conversation.

I would say Mia is meh. She is just too weak. Zihark is a better choice if you want a swordmaster.

2 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Not using Rolf isn't missing much. This is the first game where Snipers got +15 Crit, but Bows only have a 2x Mt bonus against fliers, as opposed to the usual effective bonus of 3x. Bows are generally worth little in this game, and the two Archers/Snipers both have issues. 

4 minutes ago, Tsak said:

RD changed things FYI. Characters that start with a personal (as opposed to class) skill get it free of capacity consumption, removing it and putting it back on them again, or giving to it somebody else, will take up space. 

As for Occult scrolls, you can get up to four of them in PoR, one comes in a chest, another on a PC, another in Base Conversation from a PC, and another from a boss. Ike's is really good, but none are at all gamebreaking (in PoR, RD made them overpowered), what skill a character gets from one varies based on class.

3 hours ago, Tsak said:

Axes seem really good for once, maybe it's because the last game i played through completely was FE6 but still

You're not wrong, Tellius is where Lances and Axes shine.

3 hours ago, Tsak said:

Should i forge a weapon every chapter? seems good

You get plenty of money in this game, so ahead.

3 hours ago, Tsak said:

Titania is really that good, gives Seth a run for his money

Not quite as broken in the long haul, but she does hold up for the entire game, she is very good.

3 hours ago, Tsak said:

Ike seems much better than Roy

He is much better. Ike is handicapped by being locked to swords and lacking a mount, but statwise, he is significantly better than Roy on average.

Use whoever you want, PoR is easy enough to allow it outside of Maniac. And of course, if someone gets screwed or another blessed, adjust your team appropriately.

Zihark is a great subversion to the usual "Edgy myrmidon mercenary defects and helps you". As a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who just wants to help and be friends with Laguz. He's like a better Joshua.

Unfortunately Swordmasters aren't super amazing, but PoR is easy and Zihark can pull his weight.

Edited by Slumber

34 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Zihark is a great subversion to the usual "Edgy myrmidon mercenary defects and helps you". As a happy-go-lucky kind of guy who just wants to help and be friends with Laguz. He's like a better Joshua.

Unfortunately Swordmasters aren't super amazing, but PoR is easy and Zihark can pull his weight.

Yeah Mia isn't really doing as much as i'd hoped. But then again she seems to be whiffing that 50% crit pretty consistently.

i mean 14 strength isn't that bad but it's not amazing

Zihark will be my next swordmaster? (idk if i get more) he seems cool enough. I like that you can promote just by hitting 21. When I'm casually playing through and just enjoying the story it's nice to be able to promote willy nilly

Welcome to the Tellius fanbase! It's my personal favourite, and I hope you have fun.

10 hours ago, Tsak said:
  • My Oscar is strength screwed, seems to be studying magic.

That's normal for him. Even my god Oscar was Str-screwed. (He was blessed in everything else and became fantastic at whittling.)

10 hours ago, Tsak said:
  • Sanaki is about as obnoxious as it gets, not surprising. I know her from heroes

That gets dropped fairly quickly.

Mia's pretty underwhelming as far as Tellius units go, but PoR is forgiving enough that you can load your party with characters you enjoy as characters rather than characters who stand out as super-good units and still have a perfectly manageable playthrough. 

And there's certainly alot to like about Mia as a character. Girl's got spunk. 

Can you give us a recap of who exactly you're using? I would suggest using Makalov, Gatrie, and Astrid, but Astrid can be a bit shaky.

Edited by Tuvy2

11 hours ago, Tuvy2 said:

Can you give us a recap of who exactly you're using? I would suggest using Makalov, Gatrie, and Astrid, but Astrid can be a bit shaky.

Sure!
Currently I'm about to start Chapter 14

Got:

• Ike, no surprise here
  • Soren
  • Titania
  • Mordecai
  • Lethe
  • Kieran (Paladin)
  • Volke (when needed to steal or loot chests, being able to steal staves is great!)
  • Mia (SM)
  • Ilyana
  • Mist
  • Oscar
  • Zihark

Can be used:

• Boyd is decent, he's at lv 9 though
  • Rhys just in case i need extra healing
  • Astrid seems interesting, might make her another project
  • Marcia can be useful
  • Gatrie, not big on armor knights
  • Jill, definitely gonna use her just haven't gotten to pump some exp into her. Might give her the speedwings i picked up

Benching it up:

• Nephenee
  • Rolf
  • Brom
  • Sothe

Also how do you use the Occult scroll, is it only in game? or do you have to be promoted? If so maybe Ike can wait, idk who i'd give it to otherwise.

Edited by Tsak

6 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Also how do you use the Occult scroll, is it only in game? or do you have to be promoted? If so maybe Ike can wait, idk who i'd give it to otherwise.

Yes, the unit must be promoted to use it. Also, it's done at base.

Also chapter 17 seems like a doozy. How many parts are there I'm on like part 2?

Taking a break for the day lol, I like the pacing though. Game is definitely fun, animations are a no go though. Takes forever even without them

10 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Also chapter 17 seems like a doozy. How many parts are there I'm on like part 2?

Four parts in total. Third part's going to be the most time-consuming, I'm afraid. ;)

Keep in mind that Ike will promote after this chapter, so if he isn't level 20 already, now's your last chance. Unfortunately, he'll be handicapped in parts 3 and 4 because reasons.

13 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Game is definitely fun, animations are a no go though. Takes forever even without them

por.txt :D

On 5/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, Tsak said:

Sure!
Currently I'm about to start Chapter 14

Got:

• Ike, no surprise here
  • Soren
  • Titania
  • Mordecai
  • Lethe
  • Kieran (Paladin)
  • Volke (when needed to steal or loot chests, being able to steal staves is great!)
  • Mia (SM)
  • Ilyana
  • Mist
  • Oscar
  • Zihark

Can be used:

• Boyd is decent, he's at lv 9 though
  • Rhys just in case i need extra healing
  • Astrid seems interesting, might make her another project
  • Marcia can be useful
  • Gatrie, not big on armor knights
  • Jill, definitely gonna use her just haven't gotten to pump some exp into her. Might give her the speedwings i picked up

Benching it up:

• Nephenee
  • Rolf
  • Brom
  • Sothe

^^^^missed the recruitment for Stefan on the desert map. (don't feel bad--no one ever finds him without a guide or another player telling them exactly where he's hiding + who can find him)

One reason among many why Mia and Zihark are considered pretty meh int this game: if you know where to look for him, you've got yourself a prepromoted swordmaster with 19 strength, 25 speed, Astra, S-Rank in swords, and a 12 might + 35 crit psuedo-legendary weapon.  

...on chapter 15....

Looks like u also missed Makalov and Devdan. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 5/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, Tsak said:

Game is definitely fun, animations are a no go though. Takes forever even without them

So very true. That and the low difficulty are about my only two gripes with PoR. Some other much more minor ones are more a result of RD doing them better, like Laguz transformations, but just taking PoR by itself, those two issues would still stand out.