(Finally!) Own Path Of Radiance. Any Help for the New Girl?

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I never found Lethality useful in Awakening - it's just way too unreliable, and the one instance it could legitimately be useful is one where everything winds up being immune to it anyhow. Sadly, it was even worse in PoR, where the one character who gets it has crit rates too low to get anything out of it.

Fair enough.

that's bummery. 

i think i got RNG-blessed both times. Gaius had it and he was like Lethality, then i made Olivia into an assassin, and SHE had it and she'd Lethality all the time too. 
but i do agree with you because i don't use Volke that often. next time i play i'll do a "hey who benefits from what skills" thing ;) the only one i knew i should have was Aether for Ike. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@daisy jane You are better off getting Titania or Oscar Sol or even Boyd Colossus. Lethality isn't really the problem. The problem is Volke. His usefulness is limited, and even more so in RD.

Sothe can be useful but it takes a lot of work and only somewhat beneficial in RD if you get lucky in high stats. I usually spend time building up Brom and Nephenee just for RD. 

Sol was the best skill for standard units in fe9 iirc.

well there's astra too, as well as colossus...

Imo if you do a transfer run to fe10, Kieran/Astrid/Makalov/Tormod aren't really gonna benefit much from boosted stats there due to their availability. However, Boyd/Titania/Haar/Jill/Nephenee/Mia/Zihark love the stat boosts, 

• 1 month later...

For getting started

The good: Titania, Ike, Oscar, Jill, Marcia, Kieran, Makalov (takes a little babying), Boyd, Lethe.

The bad: Rolf, Rhys (only healer initially but Mist gets a horse on promotion), Mia, Zihark, Nephenee. Myrms got it rough this game.

The ugly (availability): Shinnon, Gatrie.

Clearly there are more units in the game than these, but you don't start rolling in units until mid game. Make sure you recruit Marcia and Jill. Forging is strong. If you can afford it, forge a weapon every/every other chapter (you can only forge once a chapter iirc). Mounted units are really good in this game (shocker). Almost all the Cavs are amazing. Canto is ridiculous. Mages are ok. Thunder is probably the best tome tree, but they're heavy :(. Axes on paladins is very strong (you get to pick a new weapon set on promotion). That's enough info to get started well on.

Edited by Centh

• 5 weeks later...

Okie Does. first of all I want to say thanks for everyone's help :) You all gave some great advice, and it really helped in some spots
I just beat the game (Octopath Traveler took a lot of my time, and then i went on vacation, so it was on the back burner for a while).

I have to say I do get the lure of permadeath. I was in the endgame and my NPC moved out of the way, causing a dragon to come and kill Rhys (my third casualty, but the howl of frustration was great). it really forced me to go slower, and think about my decisions. (i keep contemplating now if i wanna do Fates/Echoes/Awakening in Permadeath mode and i keep flirting with 'sure why not', vs. my hmm. naahhh). so having a game that removes the choice is great for me. It also makes me know that I can handle other previous FE's. there is still a learning curve (ie: how the Laguz meter reads (which is why Sothe died), or how some characters decide to move/strike vs. not striking/moving). 

My main characters (minus ike), turned out to be
Soren, Astrid, Kiernan, Nephenee, Jill, Oscar, Taunroeo, Nasir (last 2 chapters), Rolf, Elincia (endgame), Tanith,  Zihark, Geofforey.(Rolf, Jill, Neph, Oscar and Astrid were my beasts). So it was worth babying Rolf in the end. (i am glad I didn't choose Bows for Oscar though because I ditched Boyd right quick). 

@Shoblongoo you asked how i felt about the story
I honestly thought it was pretty darned good. unless i seriously missed it - i still don't know who the black knight was. Ashnard was crazy as poop , and there were a lot of interesting twists and turns, laughable moments, and "ahhhhh" moments, and your typical 'mouth drop open' moments.I don't know (honestly) if I'd say if it was better than anything "newer" (minus Fates, coz fates was just weird), but like Awakening or SoV....i liked those stories very much and it had the same amount of "wait, what?!'s for me). but then maybe I'm just easy to please as a FE player. :)  I liked the asthetics in this game, and in awakening, and when i got used to it LOL in SoV. :)

It's very obvious (i mean y'all know this bit already), this game was a big set up for Radiant Dawn so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out, which i am gonna start now. 

@daisy jane The file transfer doesn't affect character deaths anyway. I lose Ilyana almost every PoR session but she always comes back in RD. :)  Anyhow, you are not really losing much not being able to transfer your save file. Enjoy RD, I think you'll love it just as much as PoR storywise. The gameplay is a bit inconsistent but definitely makes up for it with innovation and variety.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure how bad a blind playthrough can be since I watched my brother play it a million tries before my first run.

But yeah, DO NOT LET THE BLACK KNIGHT GET YOU IN CHAPTER 11!!! And there is a certain named vigilante in that chapter you can recruit with a laguz.

Chapter 15: Don't kill many laguz. There are items everywhere. Avoid bringing knights and horsemen (obviously). That laguz recruitable guy is a hidden interaction, and if a beorc (human) goes there, you will get an item instead.

Save Bonus EXP for Astrid, Nephenee, Mist, and Elincia. They are some of the best units in PoR and in each of my runs were very RNG blessed, with Astrid easily capping Skl and Spd as a paladin by chapter 18 due to paragon. And Astrid, Nephenee, and Mist were dodge tanks as well. I recommend giving Astrid lances upon promotion, but stick to bows if possible. Mist should keep Tanith's Sonic Blade since it's the best weapon for her.

GOOD LUCK!!! 

EDIT: Didn't read everything. Congrats on beating the game, though! It still stands as my favorite Fire Emblem game.

Edited by Korryn
New info after posting