How Public Was Altena's Survival?

Jotari

So Travant kills Altena's parents and kidnaps her as a baby. How many people knew this? It seems like it's no one, but it also seems like it should be everyone. On one hand, she's a useful weapon for Travant that he'd want to keep a secret. On the other hand, it's quite clear that Thracia has a princess. She flies around doing stuff now and then, being well established enough to order troops to retreat in Thracia 776. So if she's fairly well established as a princess that exists, hasn't anyone raised an eyebrow at the fact that she has the same name as Quan's daughter. And she carries this swanky holy lance. Hell that should have been an indicator to herself that she wasn't who she thought she was. I doubt Gae Bolg looks like an ordinary silver lance. Finn was able to tell who she was from miles away just by looking at her wield it. Really, what I'm asking, is if you think Alvis, Manfroy and Bloom etc knew about her origins. It's quite clear Leif, Shannon and Seliph didn't until they saw her, but surely someone could have connected the dots. I don't know, maybe Altena's just a common name in the Thracian peninsula. So two princess of approximately the same name having it doesn't rise any eyebrows. What's your speculation on the subject?

I suppose that in the public perception, everyone assumed that Quan's daughter died, since they witnessed the attempted persecution of mst of the holy blood families, and didn't hear from any of them until the mircaulous appearance of Seliph as the child of Light

As for people ignoring Gae Bolg - Atheism While Altenna is a pretty major Thrracian "general" the importance of the general title in Judgral seems to fluctuate a lot - In Freege, Olwen is technically introudced as a general, but is still walked over completely by her fellow general Kempf.  Later in Thracia, By C23 (the Cyas/Ced recruitment thing) We see that people are able to countermand Altenna  to some degree. 

Finn also had service to Quan,, so maybe a simpler explanation is simply that her life in Thracia prevented people from recongizning the Gae Bold because it's not the country of origin so no one outside of royalty and high military would bother informing themselves on it. 

Blume/Leptor/Manfloy may or may not know - They have weird policies regarding which families to destroy on sight and which to try to convert to their side and use. 

From what I can tell the lopto cult seem to divide the holy blood families into "martial groups" and "mystic/premonition groups" - hence Neir/Tordo/Fala/Dain don't threaten them, but Sety/Baldo/Noba/Blaggi/Heim do threaten them... obviously there are some exceptions, such as Manfloy's infamous decision to keep Julia alive, and Cyas who is accepted long enough to become a respected Empire tactican but has allegedgely been on the Empire's hit list from the beggining according to the general of C22. (Thracia also has Galzus/Mareeta to show that blood alone without holy weapons is enough to cause persecution).

It seems her identity is at least unknown in Lenster/Manster - While Altenna is a prominent Thracian General we do know that they have been prevented from their plans of operating in the region by Granvalle. The specifics of the pre-rebellion in Issac and the pacification of Silesia aren't really laid out, but I think it's in-line with Trabant's mercenrary policy to have helped the empire in those battles, which should have exposed the identity of Altenna to Manfloy,etc all.

Why they would consent to her existence and not her brother (despite even knowning he doesn't  Gae Bolg) is a bt harder to explain.

Edited by Reality

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

So if she's fairly well established as a princess that exists, hasn't anyone raised an eyebrow at the fact that she has the same name as Quan's daughter. 

Not necessarily; Altena had only just recently been born when Quan and Ethlyn were killed, so I doubt many people even knew she existed aside from the nobles you mentioned.  It was common practice among medieval European royalty to withhold announcements regarding births until the child could be blessed by a priest and the birth officially recognized as legitimate by the church, so maybe there's something similar going on here.

Of course, I don't know much about Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 776, so take my response with as many grains of salt as you prefer.

<Edit> Reality beat me to the punch, and his explanation makes a lot more sense than mine does. :lol:

Edited by GamerX51

7 minutes ago, GamerX51 said:

Not necessarily; Altena had only just recently been born when Quan and Ethlyn were killed, so I doubt many people even knew she existed aside from the nobles you mentioned. It was common practice among medieval European royalty to withhold announcements regarding births until the child could be blessed by a priest and the birth officially recognized as legitimate by the church, so maybe there's something similar going on here. Of course, I don't know much about Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 776, so take my response with as many grians of salt as you prefer.

<Edit> Reality beat me to the punch, and his explanation makes a lot more sense than mine does. :lol:

No, actually, Altenna was already around 3-4 years old when Quan and Ethlyn died. It was Leif the one who had just been born.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No, actually, Altenna was already around 3-4 years old when Quan and Ethlyn died. It was Leif the one who had just been born.

Oh. Well then, consider me educated. :^_^: