Should FE keep secret items?

Awakening did a glow for some of them, and fe7 (sorry i dont know much about the other fes qq)left you in the dark.
I'd go with keep them like FE7 now that weapons and stuff are so much easier to get, not sure what you could put as a secret item now tho tbh
What do you guys think?

Well it's no secret if we can see them. I don't count Awakening's system as the same thing. Plus its rewards are randomly generated.

In other games, Desert map secrets are obnoxious because I hate waiting for a character to find something based on a random chance dictated by their luck stat. Some players would have stumbled on these secrets, but the dice roll said nope. And experienced players that know all the secrets are just like "okay, I need a thief so that I can pick these up in a reasonable amount of time. Radiant Dawn took it too far by having secrets in nearly every map, not just the desert maps. Secret shops are a maybe for me. I'm glad we got rid of the shopping in the middle of a battlefield schtick from older games but Anna is exactly the kind of madwoman to open a secret store under such circumstances.

Though in their era they were to a degree beloved, the present one has no place for such important obscurities. The Internet can make "secrets" un-secrets very easily, and modern players would, perhaps with some justification, vocally object to something like Stefan or the Brave Axe being tucked away on a lone space.

I myself don't mind them, but I can't really speak from the blind player's point of view, since I always had a guide pointing out where everything hidden is growing up, or SF.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Radiant Dawn took it too far by having secrets in nearly every map, not just the desert maps.

In most of those maps, you have a Thief who has a innate 60% chance of picking them up. Also, most of the items you can find are insignificant items such as coins or Olivi Grass, so it's hardly what I'd call "too far".

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I don't think secrets as obscure as Lex's Brave Axe or the pursuit ring should come back, but I think secrets like Thracia's should make a return. It was pretty nice how some units had their own ongoing stories that reached a resolution with them obtaining a personal weapon or promotion and a good chunk of them were hinted at while others like Linoan's promotion I don't think are hinted at whatsoever. As long as the player who is paying attention and completes some kind of optional challenge within a map is the criteria I would love to see secret come back as they add to the cast and world just feeling more fleshed out and keep the player engaged in the story.

Awakening had the tiles mandatorily invisible tiles in Laurent's Paralogue that led to you getting the Goddess Staff. I quite liked them like that. I don't mind Event Tiles though but as they could still give you items of random rarity out of them. Invisible ones in addition to them wouldn't be bad either though. It'd be nice to know something can happen but also a happy treat if you land on hidden tile.

Personally, I'm not a fan of hidden, secret items/events or secret shops.  I like to get everything in the game, but I don't like having to play with a guide or a map open.  Radiant Dawn was the worst for it, but I'm also not a fan of desert maps with hidden items or secret events on tiles and whatnot.  It doesn't really hurt my opinion of the game, but I'd rather just play and not have to read a guide to make sure I don't miss anything! :lol:

There should be a way to figure out the location of the hidden item. For example, if you bring a thief near the item, it should glow. Conversely make it a staff feature that allows you to find the location.