How strong are the war dragons?

Personally, I felt disappointed in their power level. In Blazing Sword, Athos said that dragons are so powerful that the entire continent will turn to ashes in a month. In Radiant Dawn, a similar thing was said. Furthermore, these two games actually back this up with evidence considering how that one Fire Dragon final boss took the combined might of Eliwood's army to defeat which goes to show just how powerful these guys are individually. In Radiant Dawn, Kurthnaga alone was strong enough to force a coalition to fall back. 

In Binding Blade, the Bern army uses war dragons created by Idoun but despite having these powerful beings, along with a much more powerful army than Roy even without taking dragons into account, Roy's army wins literally every single battle. 

well to be fair, they dont exactly spam deploy them in binding blade, in fact in total theres only about 11 war dragons deployed between chapter 12 and chapter 23 sprinkled through about five or six chapters.

That said, it simply makes for better game balance if ya dont have to fight a final boss level threat every few chapters or so, and as i remember the war dragons are explicitly stated to be somewhat weaker then real dragons anyways (due to their mass produced nature or something, i could be wrong on that) and also to be fair they probably just feel weaker since their breath attacks dont have the piercing damage the fire dragon in fe7 does.

The Fire Dragon in Blazing Blade had the advantage of being very close to the portal to its home, an advantage that the dragons in Binding Blade didn't have.

For reference, compare what Ninian was able to do near the open gate at the end of Blazing Blade (i.e. conjure up a huge blizzard that instantly killed two of those three dragons) to what she was able to do anywhere else in Elibe (i.e. nothing more than dance).

Then, too, the war dragons that Roy fought were basically clones.

Edited by Paper Jam

War Dragons were made for quantity over quality, shock troops to cover their valuable troops. They don't have the battle training, the real dragon soldiers get. 

Jahn says he is more skilled then a War Dragon.

The Fire Dragon in Blazing Sword is also a veteran based off its Japanese name and select description in all versions of the game.

I too remember hearing that the War Dragons are mass produced dragons that aren't as strong as the plot-relevant ones. They also could be for show; to intimidate enemy troops without having to risk losing Jahn or Idenn. Except that they ended up failing to intimidate Roy's army. Basically V2 rockets fired onto London, compared to an actual nuke missile.

Edited by henrymidfields

also, roy, potentaly, being part ice dragon, may also helped him out

Edit: ice dragons have very good defense, resitence (good tanks) and skill (very accurate and prone to lend critical rits)

Edited by darkblade2814

The War Dragons are artificially created dragons from the magic of the Demon Dragon, similar to how Morphs are created using quintessence and dark magic. Real dragons are overall meant to be stronger, but they were created because humans were too numerous that the war of attrition was not on the dragon's side. 

Also, even though they are weaker, the War Dragons are still far stronger than humans, since apart from magic, Wyrmslayers, and the Divine Weapons, attacks are generally ineffective against them.

Edited by omegaxis1

I'd say its a mix of them being clones and just for power scaling they toned it down so the gameplay didn't suffer.

If you actually had to fight even a normal mode version of a fire dragon every couple of chapters or so FE6 would easily be one of the harder fire emblems for no good reason.
That sort of difficulty isn't challenging it's tedious.

same sort of reasoning as to why Kratos in God of War doesn't just walk around 1 shotting literally everything as even though cutscene kratos shows the ability to literally lift thousands of tons fairly easily. If he was tossing dudes into the planet's orbit, gameplay wouldn't be fun at all. There has to be some sort of balance when power scaling comes into effect.

• 5 weeks later...

I mean, I don't know what standard warfare looks like that the player isn't involved in, but it takes a mage or an absurdly strong unit to take them down.

They could mow down infantry no problem.  I don't know how common mages are, and high ranking generals can't be everywhere.