Unexpectedly good sprites

Theri

Sprites you didn't think were going to look very good when you started working on them, but actually was really impressed by the final results? I have one right here that I did not think was going to look good, but I ended up being really happy with it. Was designing kids of the Sacred Stones cast for a mod, and I was doing L'Arachel's son. Didn't think he'd end up so good, but the colors ended up looking really on point imo.

What sprites were you making that exceeded expectations? I wanna get a good look at everyone's work.

Kilorn.png

Here are all of the portrait edits I've done so far.  They're a bit on the safe side, but I still think they look pleasing for what they are.

(Shameless advertisement incoming!)

claudius__fire_emblem_oc__portrait_edit_carol__fire_emblem_oc___portrait_edit__bdagdar_portrait__blazing_blade_style__by

The first two are GBA-style portraits of Claudius and Carol, the protagonists of my Fire Emblem: Ascension project.  Though it's not a real game so much as it is an original Fire Emblem story presented as if it were one, I still wanted to try my hand at representing my two OCs in an artstyle that more people are used to seeing for the series and I'm satisfied with the results.

The third one is a GBA-style portrait of Dagdar from Thracia 776.  I think that one was even earlier than Claudius and Carol's portraits.

Hmm, been quite some time since I last sprited (just kinda lost interest I guess), but I'd say my version of an Ike in his 40s fits this the best in my case.

older_ike__armor__by_great_aether-d9sqx0

I also have a version without his armor and cape, but I love the Vanguard outfit too much not to reuse. lol And I was surprised at how well I was able to pull off that armor and cape! Especially the armor. All it really took was repeatedly looking at the Vanguard armor for reference and doing each detail one at a time, bit by bit. I think his collar could hug his neck a little less since I belatedly realized it's actually more loose in RD, but oh well. It doesn't look horrible, I think. Also, I could not stop picturing a 40 year old Ike with a goatee, so he got one and I think it looks AWESOME. XD

Also shoutout to my own fan-made lord character, Azura (yes, that's her name, but I created her years before Fates was a thing, back in 2009, in fact), specifically her second tier class, which is Lord. She's like Ike in that she doesn't start as that, but instead promotes to it.

ybiOKPR.png

I just felt like the concept and colors came together so well in the end that I was rather impressed. :P

Those mugs in the above posts look pretty decent too.

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Here are all of the portrait edits I've done so far.  They're a bit on the safe side, but I still think they look pleasing for what they are.

(Shameless advertisement incoming!)

claudius__fire_emblem_oc__portrait_edit_carol__fire_emblem_oc___portrait_edit__bdagdar_portrait__blazing_blade_style__by

The first two are GBA-style portraits of Claudius and Carol, the protagonists of my Fire Emblem: Ascension project.  Though it's not a real game so much as it is an original Fire Emblem story presented as if it were one, I still wanted to try my hand at representing my two OCs in an artstyle that more people are used to seeing for the series and I'm satisfied with the results.

The third one is a GBA-style portrait of Dagdar from Thracia 776.  I think that one was even earlier than Claudius and Carol's portraits.

Man I'm jealous. I can't sprite old people at all. I can do the rest of my mod myself, but I don't think I'll be able to sprite older Ephraim, Innes, L'Arachel, Lyon, and Marisa. I've done lots of portraits in my lifetime, but old people are not in my portfolio lol

4 hours ago, Theri said:

Man I'm jealous. I can't sprite old people at all. I can do the rest of my mod myself, but I don't think I'll be able to sprite older Ephraim, Innes, L'Arachel, Lyon, and Marisa. I've done lots of portraits in my lifetime, but old people are not in my portfolio lol

I mean all I did was take Fargus's head and change the color of his beard...

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I mean all I did was take Fargus's head and change the color of his beard...

He might have meant to quote my post maybe, since I posted an older Ike? But he's not OLD old, he's just in his 40s... I haven't yet sprited an elderly person either. Oldest I've gone is 40s to 50s.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

He might have meant to quote my post maybe, since I posted an older Ike? But he's not OLD old, he's just in his 40s... I haven't yet sprited an elderly person either. Oldest I've gone is 40s to 50s.

Yeah, meant to quote yours lol

I mean I'm going to have to sprite a middle-aged Ephraim and a few others, which I won't be able to do. Older characters in general are just harder for me.

1 minute ago, Theri said:

Yeah, meant to quote yours lol

I mean I'm going to have to sprite a middle-aged Ephraim and a few others, which I won't be able to do. Older characters in general are just harder for me.

I can understand that. I'm not entirely sure I can do elderly people well myself. I can see doing the wrinkly skin and all being pretty tricky. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to change a base portrait to look older though. I've tried that and it didn't exactly turn out the way I would've liked. So if you do an older Ephraim, taking his original mug and trying to age it up is probably not the best way to go. This is the reason I did my older Ike from scratch. Doing sprites from scratch takes practice and skill though, so it might just be best to commission those right now if you don't feel like you can make something on your own.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I can understand that. I'm not entirely sure I can do elderly people well myself. I can see doing the wrinkly skin and all being pretty tricky. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to change a base portrait to look older though. I've tried that and it didn't exactly turn out the way I would've liked. So if you do an older Ephraim, taking his original mug and trying to age it up is probably not the best way to go. This is the reason I did my older Ike from scratch. Doing sprites from scratch takes practice and skill though, so it might just be best to commission those right now if you don't feel like you can make something on your own.

I can draw bits and pieces from scratch, but not faces and stuff like that. I can't wrap my head around facial features. Just editing can be difficult at times.

1 minute ago, Theri said:

I can draw bits and pieces from scratch, but not faces and stuff like that. I can't wrap my head around facial features. Just editing can be difficult at times.

Yeah, it definitely takes practice. Took me a few years or so to get the skill level I have now. Though at this point I'm probably a bit rusty too... lol

• 4 weeks later...

Woah, there are some good sprites here ! I like L'Arachel son (Did she forgot to name him ? Ahah...), Claudius and older Ike !

Mh... I don't know which sprites I thought would look bad. I guess there are a few that turned out better than I thought. I'd really like to show them to you all, but this is actually my very first post here and I don't know how to add images. Is there a way to know where the files I'm attaching will be displayed ? Please help...

2 minutes ago, Zeldacrafter_Swagg said:

Woah, there are some good sprites here ! I like L'Arachel son (Did she forgot to name him ? Ahah...), Claudius and older Ike !

Mh... I don't know which sprites I thought would look bad. I guess there are a few that turned out better than I thought. I'd really like to show them to you all, but this is actually my very first post here and I don't know how to add images. Is there a way to know where the files I'm attaching will be displayed ? Please help...

I'm glad you like him!

What I would do is grab an image link somewhere and put it directly into your post.  It should be automatically embedded.

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm glad you like him!

What I would do is grab an image link somewhere and put it directly into your post.  It should be automatically embedded.

Yeah ! I dunno why, I always immediately like tanned FE fan characters. Even in the canon games, I like Igrene, Garret and Hawkeye design.

Anyways, as for my characters... I'm pretty satisfied with the first one I ever did, the protagonist : https://imgur.com/PvTp5Fh (Alright I know this is just a modified Franz, but...Uh... He looks cool ? And... I... Added a bit of Jaffar hairs ? Eheh...)

There's also this one (https://imgur.com/PvTp5Fh) I had to start over 3 times before getting to a good result. In this version, I used parts of Karla, Echidna, Heath, Nino, Geese and a few others I don't even remember.

Anyways, this is where it's getting kinda special. You see, in my story, the characters fight (And are sometimes joined by) monsters (Like in FE8). But there are no monster portrait in any FE game ! What a shame. Fortunately, using only Merlinus as a base, I made my very own skeleton sprites ! https://imgur.com/axBCNfs https://imgur.com/WMQOP0A https://imgur.com/tNMw1kz https://imgur.com/fyxdWrO https://imgur.com/RlqBAta

But what was the most unexpectedly good were the few ones I drew myself instead of just making some kind of patchwork. Here they are (This does not takes place in any of Fire Emblem's worlds, so don't be surprised if you see something that is not part of the universe) : https://imgur.com/VDAml0g https://imgur.com/XRmxdO7 https://imgur.com/zulIX9e https://imgur.com/G02xuwR

So... Uh... I guess those were the best surprises I had when making sprites. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about it or how I could improve, eheh... (Also, making old people is kinda hard, but there are a few ones I did that don't look that bad. But I already posted a lot of pics, so I'm gonna stop here...)

I don't think you did it right.  There's a difference between the URL of the site where you got the image and the actual image address.

If you post the actual image addresses (right-click and choose "Copy image address" to copy it), they should automatically embed, like so:

XRmxdO7.pngG02xuwR.png

I really like these two that you did.